The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

Where will the next RM Off Road Series be?

471570f6-7165-4526-8144-25a5d7ad1994.jpg

I can find homes for those in Nevada. Perhaps an Area 51 series?

And thanks again for the ride up Spring Creek. It was a great trip and it was great to meet zoltig and Smilin Bob. I'll make sure my Jeep is ready for the road trip to next year's 4x4 event!

Edit: speelin'

Edited by Moose Mob

anyone know where to get ammo cans for cheap? Perferably around the Denver area...I usually get singles from the surplus shop in englewood but i'm looking to get 10-20...so i'd rather not pay the price they charge if i can avoid it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

anyone know where to get ammo cans for cheap? Perferably around the Denver area...I usually get singles from the surplus shop in englewood but i'm looking to get 10-20...so i'd rather not pay the price they charge if i can avoid it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Your lucky day. Look here for more info.

I just read the recent forcast and it does sound like its time to break out the Jug.

Snow Advisories are posted for all mountain areas except the Sangre de Cristos from midnight Saturday night until 6pm Sunday evening. The advisory is for areas at and above the 7,500 foot elevation level.

The Front Range mountains will get the most snow; 6-12", with most other areas reaceiving 4-8" of new snowfall.

Rain, mist and drizzle will be found at lower elevations with a very cool day on the way for most of central and eastern Colorado.

I just read the recent forcast and it does sound like its time to break out the Jug.

Snow Advisories are posted for all mountain areas except the Sangre de Cristos from midnight Saturday night until 6pm Sunday evening. The advisory is for areas at and above the 7,500 foot elevation level.

The Front Range mountains will get the most snow; 6-12", with most other areas reaceiving 4-8" of new snowfall.

Rain, mist and drizzle will be found at lower elevations with a very cool day on the way for most of central and eastern Colorado.

Really?

Who says you can't enjoy lunch on the trail with a little snow falling?

9a6d915a-71a9-4c5c-a8e2-4426f0d9b7e7.jpg

Later in the Day today.

d842edb4-a9ce-45a7-8ea8-b4efe6fa236e.jpg

8f727db1-c96b-42d4-adbc-9058b3857453.jpg

Zoltig and I did Argentine Pass and McClellan Mountain Today. More pictures later.

Edited by RocketMan

The excursion for RocketMan and I yesterday was awesome. Great views all day long and a little bit of the winter touch.

IMG_2104.jpg

The climb up Argentine.

IMG_2111.jpg

Treacherous trail down.

IMG_2112.jpg

View of the lake in the saddle

IMG_2163.jpg

RocketMan kickin it in the snow. Yes! That is a beer in his hand!

Video 1: Travel Through Trees and Snow

Video 2: The Rocket, the Lunch and the Snow

Video 3: Ascent to Argentine

Edited by zoltig

Grays Peak and Torreys Peak

d8e7382d-1fa6-4bb1-a670-a274bc3e6542.jpg

I see four caches in this picture, over 13,500'! (...two are mine!) :D

Great shots! :D

Those must be some big cache containers if you can see them on those mountains. :D

But seriously, you must be talking about the 4 caches in this aerial image:

85f8490e-19d7-44f3-98ab-79cc93881804.jpg

Here is an aerial showing the cache where the picture was taken from (Right) and the four caches on Grays Peak and Torreys Peak (Left):

b640db16-d8c9-41b9-b89d-6055ed6f38ec.jpg

Those must be some big cache containers if you can see them on those mountains. :D

Here is an aerial showing the cache where the picture was taken from (Right) and the four caches on Grays Peak and Torreys Peak (Left):

You are a picture wizard for sure! ..but it looks like someone is missing four smileys! :D

You are a picture wizard for sure! ..but it looks like someone is missing four smileys! :D

Can the Jeep make it to those? :D

Those must be some big cache containers if you can see them on those mountains. :wub:

Quitter! Seriously, I'll go up Kelso Ridge in winter with you, as long as you're not a girl about it.

Those must be some big cache containers if you can see them on those mountains. :wub:

You are a picture wizard for sure! ..but it looks like someone is missing four smileys! :(

Quitter! Seriously, I'll go up Kelso Ridge in winter with you, as long as you're not a girl about it.

You can't be a quitter if you never start. :D

Thinking about something is the first step to doing it. Therefore, quitter! :(

You are a picture wizard for sure! ..but it looks like someone is missing four smileys! :wub:
Thinking about something is the first step to doing it. Therefore, quitter! :(

What about "thinking about not doing something"? Is that the same thing? :D

You can't be a quitter if you never start. :(
Thinking about something is the first step to doing it. Therefore, quitter! :D
What about "thinking about not doing something"? Is that the same thing? :D

:D Edited by TrailGators
It's snowing! :) And lightning! :) We're happy now. I'm hoping for another eight foot December...

Yep, it's snowing here in Castle Rock too. It was 80 degrees yesterday (70's in the mountains) and zolitg and I made a run up Carnage Canyon and now we have about 3+ inches of snow on the ground (much more in the mountains).

From yesterday:

ac54ce18-f978-43c4-a9eb-2ff9d97dab15.jpg

a1e12bd4-2eb2-425f-a5f2-3bafd7981006.jpg

This Morning:

1862086f-b902-4e9c-8172-8161e36d25bd.jpg

It's snowing! <_< And lightning! :( We're happy now. I'm hoping for another eight foot December...

Some light snow here, too!

RM and I had snow with lightning and deep thunder in the mountains last weekend. :(

It's been snowing here all morning.

5a715951-6b73-41b9-bef1-b72322e0d97a.jpg

Almost 6 inches as measured on the table so probably a little more:

29211588-031f-48aa-acaa-fd6027e7efcd.jpg

Hey! Didn't we see this same picture on this thread last year? :(

On a more serious note, I'll take your weather over ours. We've got heavy Santa Anna conditions and fires burning up by Ramona and out by Potrero. The sun is just an orange ball at the house and it is raining ash. It feels like a repeat of the Cedar Fire -- exactly four years ago this weekend. 8000 acres burned at last count with 0 percent containment. Everyone has their fingers crossed... <_<

Correction: FlagMan says that next weekend is the fourth anniversary...and he would know...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

It's snowing! :) And lightning! :antenna: We're happy now. I'm hoping for another eight foot December...

RM and I had snow with lightning and deep thunder in the mountains last weekend. B)

:) Can jodi and I have some of that snow Dave?? <_<

It's snowing! :lol: And lightning! :antenna: We're happy now. I'm hoping for another eight foot December...

RM and I had snow with lightning and deep thunder in the mountains last weekend. :)

:) Can jodi and I have some of that snow Dave?? <_<

It's mostly melted, but we are on the wrong side of the divide. :lol: You are welcome to bring a truck out here and pick some up though. B)

It was an awesome Event yesterday, despite our fickel weather. Even Lil Miss Laxson in her snowsuit showed up.

It was a wee bit cold for her liking....but then again, this is the first time she's seen snow since she was born!

dd934bd0-6da8-4e3b-a4f2-7cbc5f38eed6.jpg

Um...I'm sure she was around for all the snow we had last January. She's only a week or two younger than Cameron and he saw snow for weeks last winter.

She might not remember seeing snow then, but that's not the same thing :(

It was an awesome Event yesterday, despite our fickel weather. Even Lil Miss Laxson in her snowsuit showed up.

It was a wee bit cold for her liking....but then again, this is the first time she's seen snow since she was born!

Um...I'm sure she was around for all the snow we had last January. She's only a week or two younger than Cameron and he saw snow for weeks last winter.

Nah, she never saw snow. There was always a blanket or two covering the carseat back then. This winter will be fun!

IMG_1614.jpg

That's My Little Girl!

IMG_1527.jpg

Nah, she never saw snow. There was always a blanket or two covering the carseat back then. This winter will be fun!

IMG_1614.jpg

That's My Little Girl!

IMG_1527.jpg

So you're saying you want to be inundated with baby blankets, booties, pumpkin hats, and cute little girlie socks? Fine then. Don't say I didn't warn you.

IMG_1527.jpg

So you're saying you want to be inundated with baby blankets, booties, pumpkin hats, and cute little girlie socks? Fine then. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I would love to be inundated with cute baby girl stuff. :( If you're willing to make them, I'm willing to take pictures of her wearing them!

IMG_1454.jpg

A lost cacher has been found (and kidnapped!) Dr123d, Dave has been off-line due to some personal problems and needed a jump-start so I took him to the middle of nowhere for 9 days of hunting to get his mind of the cares of the world. We were roughly 45 miles away from Paonia in a remote primitive camp with only Amateur Radio as a link to civilization. We talked to several 'Hams' including Mrs n0wae (kc0qxo) and Cacher RkyMountainRose (kd0bqd). It snowed on us, the wind blew hard and the temps plummeted to 15° early in the week. We survived. (The weather warmed up later in the week.) Dave's dog Zeke was a hoot and entertained us with his antics throughout the week. We had a good time using our GPSers to find a different type of cache that tastes good. Dave was camp cook and did a fine job of cooking some very fresh steaks for us. We had a good time!

Dave & horses at camp. The panyards are loaded with Elk quarters:

24cb5ad5-4fd2-4391-a32c-7e75d15e2348.jpg

Taffy (Mare), Dr123d (Male), Esquire (Gelding):

f441e3a2-6779-422a-bf65-5357205ec680.jpg

n0wae with his '4x4 Buck cache':

25d69774-9ca0-49f5-a7cd-b3ac21c58679.jpg

Bagged quarters hanging before loading:

07c1b0a6-d14c-479f-82ef-ee32c87ff1c1.jpg

Dr123d and 'Zekester' the wonder dog:

5d4c7724-f9ab-4b74-91e6-328e36ebcb8a.jpg

WOW! Looks like you guys had a GREAT time!

:D:huh: Good to see you back, Dave! (and Zeke, of course) :D:D

UHH! Eric? It doesn't look too primative of a camp. I see your pop up camper back there. :D

Suprised you guys got anything. I would have thought there would have been too much snoring that would have frightened the humble forest creatures. :rolleyes:

UHH! Eric? It doesn't look too primative of a camp. I see your pop up camper back there. :rolleyes:

Yea, Dave was complaining about my camper. I set the temp to 50° in my camper the night the temp dipped to 15° (I'm not that primative) Dave's tent on the other hand was so cold that Zeke climbed into his sleeping bag! The tent dishpan water froze and Dave even woke up next morning with frost on his facial hair!

A lost cacher has been found (and kidnapped!) Dr123d, Dave has been off-line due to some personal problems and needed a jump-start so I took him to the middle of nowhere for 9 days of hunting to get his mind of the cares of the world. ...
Great bag, story and pictures n0wae. Plus really nice to see Mr Dr and friends again!!!

PS: Now there's a stealthy way of carrying water, on the facial hair from the morning before...;-P

7834d5c9-a420-4a89-bc08-983e161e8aff.jpg

Edited: To add image...

Edited by MrCOgeo

Umm maybe some homemade sausage at the upcoming event. But it could be cold up there, and that is why I just love the juice that is available to run the space heaters. (Semi Primitive)

I spent Sunday on Round Mtn. with Ernie66 his wife and 3 kids, what a hike. And those kids went the whole 7 miles and want to do it again. And the last batch of Kids to do that hill was n0waes grandkids.

A lost cacher has been found (and kidnapped!)

I heard him on the radio talking to RMR the other day, but now we also have photographic proof that he is alive and well! Glad to see him back around these parts although it's a shame I didn't get to go elk hunting with you two. :D

Imagine my surprise when I'm talking to this guy on the radio, and he throws out that he's going hunting with N0WAE. How could I NOT respond? :D

A lost cacher has been found (and kidnapped!)

I heard him on the radio talking to RMR the other day, but now we also have photographic proof that he is alive and well! Glad to see him back around these parts although it's a shame I didn't get to go elk hunting with you two. ;)

The Dr is dead! Long live the Dr!