The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

635e2e78-4561-4c1e-a433-9bf2e8db3cfd.jpg

Since I couldn't get off of work for the 4x4 event I thought I'd do more of RocketMan's Off Road series on the Rampart Range.

Must have been a great day to be in the mountains. BTW: Nice Jeep. Zolitg has been talking about an off road trip up in his neck of the woods. Maybe we can get a group together sometime in July and head up there.

635e2e78-4561-4c1e-a433-9bf2e8db3cfd.jpg

Since I couldn't get off of work for the 4x4 event I thought I'd do more of RocketMan's Off Road series on the Rampart Range.

Must have been a great day to be in the mountains. BTW: Nice Jeep. Zolitg has been talking about an off road trip up in his neck of the woods. Maybe we can get a group together sometime in July and head up there.

It was a very nice day to be in the mountains. I wish I could have stayed longer. I could feel it getting hotter as I drove back towards town.

Late July or early August sounds good, bring a tent and we can stay a night up on the Old Flowers road.

But I don't get too many weekends off so weekdays would be the way I could do it.

Late July or early August sounds good, bring a tent and we can stay a night up on the Old Flowers road.

But I don't get too many weekends off so weekdays would be the way I could do it.

I might be able to swing something on one of my off Fridays.

I might be able to swing something on one of my off Fridays.

I'm just a lowly machinist and I get Fridays off too. (I have machined rocket fins before though.) Building up seniority with any company helps too in the vacation department. I'm lucky to enjoy 5 weeks of paid vacation per year. Now if I could only talk them into emergency time off when there is a nearby FTF to bag!

**Woops quoted the wrong message but you guys know what I mean**

Edited by n0wae

I need some help on where to get ammo cans in town. I have bought some at the army surplus store over by Sante Fe and Hampden, but someone at the Mountain event mentioned a better place which I forgot. Can anyone tell me where that is?

Thanks

RM

Surplus City at 28th and Colorado in Old Colorado City. Excellent prices on all sizes of ammo cans.

No decon containers available right now though, but the owner/manager told me he is going to look for them (since all of us geocachers have been asking) :laughing:

When I submitted my #3 series of off road caches, I called the first cache Moose Meadow because it reminded me of the meadows up in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's where moose are known to frequent. Well, I was amazed to see that Aufaa logged the series and actually saw two moose between the first two caches of the series, Moose Meadow and Stream Junction. Here is a picture of the bull and cow:

49e98fee-f7a9-4c94-8f67-cde25558b9f3.jpg

Mrs. RocketMan and I are at the Jackson Lake Lodge in Grand Teton NP right now and we were up at Glacier National Park the last few days. We saw a cow moose when we were up at the north end of Glacier in Canada and of course we have done some fun caching on the trip. Here are a few pics:

Moose

14880182-3ea8-45f7-884f-c56e0d9f9dce.jpg

Cachemobile Wash

9197dccb-9ecd-46b5-b833-338fac9f105d.jpg

Sheep

747eb79b-d3b8-4541-a5a6-4d814d05277d.jpg

Glaciers

5a6f21ec-3589-43af-a44a-9dc549412127.jpg

And a Pano from our Lodge: Click here.

Edit: It looks like the Sax campout was a blast. I wish I could have been there.

Edited by RocketMan

Hello! My husband and I are planning a trip to Colorado for the first week of July 2007. Can you recommend other must-see caches near "hanging lake trail" cache (GC441A)?

We're also planning to visit my friend in Pueblo, CO; what are some good caches in that area?

Thanks!

Laurie

Well, hanging lake trail is a must-do hike to the top, even though the cache isn't all the way up. I'd recommend searching for the cache on the way up. You'll have the energy then.

As for others in the area, there are a bunch of fun ones. I enjoyed feeling silly at Pink Floyd.

Patron 'Aint will bring you to Doc Holiday's gravesite (kinda).

Back Packer was an enjoyable hike up to an interesting area.

That should get you started. There are some on the way (Westbound on I-70) that can break up the drive.

Team Laxson has given you some good choices. Also make sure you check out the Cardiff Coke Ovens.

Hello again! Just wanted to say thank you so much for everyone's cache advice; wish we hadn't had to walk away with a DNF on hanging lake trail but it was, otherwise, an absolutely AWESOME trip. :) We had the best vacation ever, and we especially want to thank those who placed caches all along the way (with a special shout-out to Grand High Pobah - thank you again for bringing us to the top of that mountain!!) If you're in the Pike's Peak area make sure you don't miss the awesome Curse of the Crystal (GC14225) mutli-cache, by KBsta - we thoroughly enjoyed it!!! We also want to thank Pioneer 'n' Tiff for giving us a handful of TBs to move eastward - felt good to get some mileage on them!!

We're going to have to go back to do the caches we missed, that's all there is to it!! The scenery in the western states just can't be beat - although we kinda expected cooler temps in the mountains!! It gets HOT in them thar hills!! ;)

Edited by wewilldo7

Hello again! Just wanted to say thank you so much for everyone's cache advice; wish we hadn't had to walk away with a DNF on hanging lake trail but it was, otherwise, an absolutely AWESOME trip. ;) We had the best vacation ever, and we especially want to thank those who placed caches all along the way (with a special shout-out to Grand High Pobah - thank you again for bringing us to the top of that mountain!!) If you're in the Pike's Peak area make sure you don't miss the awesome Curse of the Crystal (GC14225) mutli-cache, by KBsta - we thoroughly enjoyed it!!! We also want to thank Pioneer 'n' Tiff for giving us a handful of TBs to move eastward - felt good to get some mileage on them!!

We're going to have to go back to do the caches we missed, that's all there is to it!! The scenery in the western states just can't be beat - although we kinda expected cooler temps in the mountains!! It gets HOT in them thar hills!! :laughing:

You're quite welcome! I just had to look through your profile and see what adventures you went on - looks like a busy trip! Too bad about Hanging Lake - although I completely understand the satellite lock/accuracy issue there. Next time you come through, post here and we may be able to offer a hint (i.e. it's over thatta way -->).

Yeah, the cooler temp thing gets me sometimes too. I gotta keep reminding myself that It's 75 degreees, but I'm a mile closer to the sun in Colorado! :)

I love Colorado.

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

Great shots of Heart Attack Hill Zoltig. Thanks for posting them. I had a great time on the Kelly Flats run.

One of my favorites is the one you posted to your new cache page (That first ledge was one steep sucker):

IMG_0672.jpg

BTW: I just noticed that I hit #1600 yesterday on our last cache of the day. Cool

Edited by RocketMan

BTW: I just noticed that I hit #1600 yesterday on our last cache of the day. Cool

Great news on the #1600, RM!! :P

That shot as, you well know, had the Roobs at almost 65+/- degrees as well as leaning to the right a bit. That translates to a pucker factor of 80.

The strange part is coming back over not knowing what lies beneath you, if anything.

IMG_0697.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

What happens when you are busy setting up a 4x4 mountain event, scouting out the trails for the event and submitting several new caches all at the same time? If you are me, you forget to submit one of the coolest caches on of the #6a difficult series!

I was out off roading with Zolitg last weekend and was thinking about the fun time we had on the difficult Spring Creek trail. Then I started thinking about the great lunch spot we stopped at on the pre run weekend and I realized I had placed a cache at the awesome overlook there but never submitted it. D'oh

Anyhow, sorry to all those who already did the series, but now you have an excuse to go back on the trail so that you can bag the new Lunch Spot (aka OOPS) cache.

21023e88-38d1-4169-9f0b-308b0dc6ffaa.jpg

Here is the complete listing:

1. Joe's 4-Wheeling Cache (Staging Area, By Joe Friday)

2. First Obstacle

3. Second Obstacle

4. Lunch Spot (aka OOPS)

5. Third Obstacle

6. Rock Garden

7. I Made It!

Edited by RocketMan

What happens when you are busy setting up a 4x4 mountain event, scouting out the trails for the event and submitting several new caches all at the same time? If you are me, you forget to submit one of the coolest caches on of the #6a difficult series!

I was out off roading with Zolitg last weekend and was thinking about the fun time we had on the difficult Spring Creek trail. Then I started thinking about the great lunch spot we stopped at on the pre run weekend and I realized I had placed a cache at the awesome overlook there but never submitted it. D'oh

Anyhow, sorry to all those who already did the series, but now you have an excuse to go back on the trail so that you can bag the new Lunch Spot (aka OOPS) cache.

Here is the complete listing:

1. Joe's 4-Wheeling Cache (Staging Area, By Joe Friday)

2. First Obstacle

3. Second Obstacle

4. Lunch Spot (aka OOPS)

5. Third Obstacle

6. Rock Garden

7. I Made It!

Folks, here is a classic example of a person that is really stressed out and can't remember just EXACTLY how many caches he has set out.

:D:D Really it has only been just a couple. :):D

By my count-59 traditional caches in Colorado. Not some teeny tiny (think Rosanne Rosanna Danna voice) itty bitty micro. I'm talkin AMMO CANS. :D:D

:P I kinda think he is slacking a bit. :)

Good gosh Dave, do I have to look after you too?

da3f063f-246d-4364-8b6a-b36258f400f0.jpg

Yes you do and I thank you for it! :(

We'd be lost without our Harmon...you're just lucky we don't charge you for his services!! :D (Especially now that he's got such big numbers - congrats again, Uncle H.!)

We'll be getting some of our Colorado pics posted one of these days...I'm looking forward to seeing the magic he works with them!! Thanks again for letting us cache in your beautiful state!!

I just picked this up last night, RM. :D

IMG_0208.jpg

The last of the 06. I am totally itchin to get it out there for some 4X4 caching adventures.

Have you gotten to try that thing out yet Zoltig? :(

:D hehehe. :D

And HOW!

Looking at that picture from when I just bought it nice, clean and new to now with the mud, decomposed granite, and what ever else is clinging to it makes me realize that I have my work cut out for me to get it cleaned up and polished. Although I don't know why! The weekends are for having fun. Right?

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

I have had to replace the air filter already. (cough, wheeze)

Edited by zoltig

OK, now you got me in the mood to post some more cachemobile pictures. I stayed up in Estes Park the night of the event up there last weekend and met up with Zoltig on Sunday to do Moody Hill and Crystal Mountain. Both of the trails were awesome. If you have the right equipment and make it up Crystal Mountain, make sure you check out Zoltig's new cache at the highest spot on the mountain. Here are a few pics:

Zoltig in the Rock Quarry (It's harder than it looks)

810e460d-9169-4fae-a0ef-1c0ded2945b6.jpg

Toyota on Same Obstacle (Notice front drive shaft on ground)

4667c95b-d9c5-4a97-8920-02638c4397be.jpg

My Son David in Getting Twisted

c9f7724e-6454-41b5-bf82-a7e998678e4b.jpg

Zoltig Up a Ledge

fd7ade97-a3e4-4651-835a-ed335bc5df49.jpg

David Up Same Ledge

b2e6b6fc-fc0a-45a3-b75b-69e1272e1ba5.jpg

A Little Rain

a31c43a4-b3b4-4949-9b24-e823f70c2cfc.jpg

Aspen Crossing

0d56fb4c-b053-425d-9388-cad7971eb75c.jpg

Zoltig in the Mud

84935a46-f76b-412f-b4fb-c74a49b4d833.jpg

David at the Crystal Mountain Summit

71ecee8e-5f2d-4849-b7b8-9122379f2cc6.jpg

Zoltig and Jessie at the Crystal Mountain Summit

6ab2d458-d306-410e-8058-0b8376663988.jpg

Crystal Mountain Pano (Part of the Awesome 360 degree view)

I informed Groundspeak of the Greeley Tribune article that came out last weekend and I see that it was featured as the top article in the weekly mailer that come out today:

----------------------------------------

II. Geocaching in the News (5 Articles)

----------------------------------------

1. Thrill of the hunt: Geocaching leads participants to undiscovered adventures in great outdoors

Publication: The Tribune (Greeley, CO)

Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/2007080...TURES/108050131

RM

I will be taking a motorcycle trip to Colorado next month.

I am now researching areas that might be fun for dual sport riding.

One area I plan to visit is Mount Evans, the highest road in the continental US at over 14,000 ft.

Are there any other motorcycle riding geocachers that might have other suggestions?

I also plan to hit up at least one of the RM off-road series....on my motorcycle!!!! :o

Randy

San Diego, Ca

I will be taking a motorcycle trip to Colorado next month...

I also plan to hit up at least one of the RM off-road series....on my motorcycle!!!! :laughing:

Randy

San Diego, Ca

Great! Welcome to Colorado when you get here, Randy!

Do you have a firm timeline of when you'll be here?

Also, there is Trail Ridge Road that travels through RMNP that is a great drive/ride. Nominal fee for entrance into park.

I also plan to hit up at least one of the RM off-road series....on my motorcycle!!!! :laughing:

Randy

San Diego, Ca

Also, there is Trail Ridge Road that travels through RMNP that is a great drive/ride. Nominal fee for entrance into park.

I will leave SD Sept 14 and expect to make it into southern Colorado Sunday the 16th.

I expect to have 5-6 solid days in Colorado. Yes, The RMNP is a must on my list!

Thanks!

Randy

San Diego, Ca

I will leave SD Sept 14 and expect to make it into southern Colorado Sunday the 16th.

I expect to have 5-6 solid days in Colorado. Yes, The RMNP is a must on my list!

Thanks!

You can come by and eat some Chili.