The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

Here is a thought for you~

The temperature inside my freezer is warmer than what the temperature is outside.

I heard Union Colony temp this am was -20 with wind chill of -36.

That Punxsutawney Phil better be right!!

072244132_020207_Goundhog_punxsutawney_phil.jpg

Yeah, it's kind of funny that we use energy to heat our houses and then we have to use energy to keep our refrigerator/freezers cold when it is negative temps outside. :)

Edit: I hope Phil is right too!

Edited by RocketMan

-11 F here in Castle Rock this Morning.

-37 Wind Chill.

Ouch!

You got me beat....

-8 in Frederick

-11 Wind Chill

5 above here and no wind

I like my side of the big hills, that is why I left your side 32 years ago...

It's really funny that 5 above is something to brag about, but with the weather we have been around here, it doesn't surprise me. :)

We went skiing at Steamboat this past week. Last year at this time the snow was about double of what they had at the beginning of our trip. We know this because of the virtual cache called Buddy's Run. The post that the bust is mounted on was almost completly buried then. In the neighborhood af about 5' difference, give or take.

This is some video of our trip up the mountain from the ski lift. Upwards of 2' of snow was falling at the top.

th_Chairlift2.jpg

th_Topoflift360.jpg

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/kfb...opoflift360.flv

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j190/kfb...=Chairlift2.flv

Edited by zoltig

:)

I will get things started here.

My #3 series of off road caches was just approved this afternoon. It is a really fun run up to Georgia Pass from Breckenridge and then back down on the south side to route 285. Here are the caches:

1. Moose Meadow

2. Stream Junction

3. Cabin With a View

4. Another View at the Top

5. Valley View

6. Awesome Meadow

7. View Back at the Pass

This is one of the cool things you will see on the run:

885bc5fe-41d5-49ae-8e03-f61a29ea6fe9.jpg

Also, my #2 series is just a week old now. It is a bumpy run up to the top of Saxon Mountain above Georgetown and back:

1. Georgetown Lake View

2. Don't Look Down

3. Oh What a View

4. I Came Up That?

5. Window to the World

6. Pick a View

And don't forget to check out my #1 series that is a little to the south, just west of my stomping grounds here in Castle Rock:

1. Balanced Boulder

2. Granite Overlook

3. Pikes View

4. Fallen Aspen

5. Valley View

6. Pikes Grand View

I went out yesterday to attempt a maintenance visit to my Balanced Rock cache. The trail is still packed with snow as you get near the top. I made it a good part of the way up but decided to turn around as the snow got deeper. It looks like it will be another month or so before my #5 Off-Road Series is completely accessible. And I thought this series would be accessible all winter long since I was able to do this trail a couple of times last winter. At least spring is on the way. RM

I went out yesterday to attempt ...

... At least spring is on the way. RM

Thanks for the update RM!! :ph34r: I am eager to get up to do your series of 4X4 trail caches. All bookmarked and everything.

Installed a CB on the Rubicon today. A winch will prolly be next.

C'mon Springtime!!! :blink::ph34r:

I went out yesterday to attempt ...

... At least spring is on the way. RM

Thanks for the update RM!! :blink: I am eager to get up to do your series of 4X4 trail caches. All bookmarked and everything.

Installed a CB on the Rubicon today. A winch will prolly be next.

C'mon Springtime!!! :blink::D

The CB can come in handy. The winch is one of those things you hope to never use, but if you need it, you are really glad you have it. I added an on-board air system to my Rubicon just after the holidays and am looking forward to getting some use out of it. Now it's air for anyone who is out with RM.

A CB??? Real cachers are Hams :rolleyes:

Yeah, what that little blue handheld said! ;-P

... But seriously, Hams are great. I used a handheld once and it was amazing. ...

Such a nice thing to say,

but who are you calling a hand-held, :rolleyes:

some of us Hams are great in the rack as well... :P

(Now see, that wasn't all that serious.)

Edited by MrCOgeo
I don't think its time to put the long underware away yet. Oh well if I have to wait till June to do some hiding, so be it.

Long Underware? Not here in Maui.

615b6eae-e273-4cb9-901d-2552189cbce3.jpg

B) Wow, lucky you (and by the photo I mean that!!! B) )

We just have to put up with winds and inches of that white stuff. B) (I know I'll do it to myself)

I don't think its time to put the long underware away yet. Oh well if I have to wait till June to do some hiding, so be it.

Long Underware? Not here in Maui.

615b6eae-e273-4cb9-901d-2552189cbce3.jpg

:P:P <hubba hubba>

How about placing a travel bug tag around her neck? Goal-"To reach Colorado."

Have it hang about....ohh, coconut heighth. ---- Buddy!? ---- Palsey Walsey!!??

:P:D

Hello fellow Coloradoans! We are brand new to geocaching. Hopefully this coming weekend we will be able (if our 60csx gets delivered) to go on our first cache finding mission. The 4x4 caches look like a bunch of fun!

I saw that you got your new unit. Let us know how your first cache run goes and good luck. RM

I posted this in the Geocaching Colorado Forums also:

With summer coming on, I have been thinking about a few geocaching event/group ideas and wanted to run it by folks here to see if there is any interest.

4x4 Event

It would go something like this: Meet in the morning and go on a day run somewhere in the mountains (probably a moderate rated trail). Then in the early evening in a town near the off road trail (BrekenridgeBrekenridge, Frisco, Georgetown, etc.), have the official event at a pizza joint (or similar) where we could talk about the days adventures over a few beers (or soda pop). The Pizza event would be open to anyone regardless of if they went on the run or not.

Paperless Caching Event

With the recent post on this forum asking about paperless caching, I thought it would be good for the more experienced cachersess cachers amongst us to share our knowledge with those who have not taken the paperless caching plunge yet via an event. I co-hosted one of these events in San Diego and it was very well received. We had a formal presentation and an area set up in a separate room where several people gave hands on demos during and after the presentation. This would require a venue with a video projector and preferably Internet access (Library?).

4x4 Geocaching Trips

It seems there's a good number of folks out there that have both geocaching and off roading interests. I thought it would be fun to have an informal group that went out on an off roading run once a month or so over the summer. It wouldn't need to be a formal club. Each month someone could "host" a run where they pick the trail, time and meeting place and then post it to a 4x4 Geocaching Trip thread here and in the GC forums. It would be open to anyone with proper off road equipment. They would just post that they are interested in going on the trip and then show up at the meeting place.

Feel free to shoot holes in these ideas and/or suggest alternatives.

Thanks,

Dave (RocketMan)

Edited by RocketMan

I posted this in the Geocaching Colorado Forums also:

With summer coming on, I have been thinking about a few geocaching event/group ideas and wanted to run it by folks here to see if there is any interest.

4x4 Event

It would go something like this: Meet in the morning and go on a day run somewhere in the mountains (probably a moderate rated trail). Then in the early evening in a town near the off road trail (BrekenridgeBrekenridge, Frisco, Georgetown, etc.), have the official event at a pizza joint (or similar) where we could talk about the days adventures over a few beers (or soda pop). The Pizza event would be open to anyone regardless of if they went on the run or not.

Paperless Caching Event

With the recent post on this forum asking about paperless caching, I thought it would be good for the more experienced cachersess cachers amongst us to share our knowledge with those who have not taken the paperless caching plunge yet via an event. I co-hosted one of these events in San Diego and it was very well received. We had a formal presentation and an area set up in a separate room where several people gave hands on demos during and after the presentation. This would require a venue with a video projector and preferably Internet access (Library?).

4x4 Geocaching Trips

It seems there's a good number of folks out there that have both geocaching and off roading interests. I thought it would be fun to have an informal group that went out on an off roading run once a month or so over the summer. It wouldn't need to be a formal club. Each month someone could "host" a run where they pick the trail, time and meeting place and then post it to a 4x4 Geocaching Trip thread here and in the GC forums. It would be open to anyone with proper off road equipment. They would just post that they are interested in going on the trip and then show up at the meeting place.

Feel free to shoot holes in these ideas and/or suggest alternatives.

Thanks,

Dave (RocketMan)

BANG. BANG. BANG...!clink,clink,clink...

They are impervious.

I like them, RM.

I was kinda thinking along the same lines as far as the 4x4 events go.

BANG. BANG. BANG...!clink,clink,clink...

They are impervious.

I like them, RM.

I was kinda thinking along the same lines as far as the 4x4 events go.

Great minds think alike! :laughing:

Once I get a little more feedback here and on the GCCO forums, I am guessing that at a minimum the 4x4 event will be a go, so I will throw some dates out there at that time.

RM

Today when I got home from work, the snow was completely gone and we were out on the deck in short sleeve shirts soaking up the sun. How cool is that! <_<

I broke into a sweat today at work. I wore my flannel lined jeans. :laughing:

Now why, oh why couldn't the weekend be like today? <_<

OH well. Ya gotta love Colorado for just this type of thing! :mad:<_<

0af56f81-1f04-4e94-bfc3-2dc4b02f3c6d.jpg

That pic was taken just yesterday. Today when I got home from work, we were out on the deck in short sleeve shirts soaking up the sun. How cool is that! ;)

From the look of it, very cool...brrr! :sad:

Dave,

Thanks for saving me the trouble of producing that shot.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
I just received a copy of the video that was done on Geocaching, its real cool and has a lot more than what we went over during the event last year. So now I have to do an event so I can share it with the rest of you.

Sounds interesting Tahosa. I hope I can see it sometime. RM

Anyone up for spending a fun day and evening in the mountains with fellow cachers. The first annual Mountain Pizza and 4x4 Caching Adventure event cache has been published. Hope to see everyone on the trail and at the event. RocketMan

YUP! I am lookin' forward to it. :rolleyes::blink: