The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

Due to the recent influx of White Moisture, I think the D's & T's should be elevated at least a star for every foot of accumulated moisture. Who says we have to stop at 5 stars.
But once the first guy finds the cache the Ds and Ts should then be all lowered! :anibad:

or until the next snowfall.

Due to the recent influx of White Moisture, I think the D's & T's should be elevated at least a star for every foot of accumulated moisture. Who says we have to stop at 5 stars.
But once the first guy finds the cache the Ds and Ts should then be all lowered! :anibad:

I'm not sure about that with all the deer/elk tracks in the snow out there.

I think you'd have to be a deer or an elk to easily make it through 3-4 feet of snow... :ph34r: Edited by TrailGators

Holy Moley! Did anyone else see that awesome meteor shower at about 6:15 this morning. It lasted for over 30 seconds and was the most spectacular thing I have ever seen in the sky.

Video on Fox here but it doesn't do it justice.

Saw it driving to work. That wasn't a meteor shower, it was a weather balloon. :wub:

16301294-53f9-45c5-9b49-ac52e1abb3a3.jpg

:rolleyes::):wub::(

Anyone caching out there in Colorado? With all the snow on the ground, and a new 4-10 inches every week, I haven't found any since mid-December (do have a few new cache placement ideas though).

We should get a list of winter-friendly caches up on the local page (Geocaching Colorado).

From looks of some logs plenty of caching going on on the west side of the big hills..... :laughing:

Anyone caching out there in Colorado? With all the snow on the ground, and a new 4-10 inches every week, I haven't found any since mid-December (do have a few new cache placement ideas though).

We should get a list of winter-friendly caches up on the local page (Geocaching Colorado).

From looks of some logs plenty of caching going on on the west side of the big hills..... <_<

Winter geocaching now?

You bet, :laughing:

can't keep those people down!

(Snow shoes? We don't need no stinkin snow shoes...)

A Colorado list would be a great idea,

but we'll need names...um...I mean GC waypoints (at least).

:tired:

So post them up and let's see the snow fly!

(I know WitzAbout started a great list as well "Down-South")

Hi CO Cachers, Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm flying down to Boulder this weekend and wondering if geocaching is an option considering all the snow you've had there. I was considering looking at Broomfield, Boulder, Longmont, Superior or Louisville and mostly sticking to in-city parks and environs (no hiking because I'll be by myself).

I appreciate any suggestions, though I realize conditions there change on a daily basis!

many thanks

--markta

Hi CO Cachers, Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm flying down to Boulder this weekend and wondering if geocaching is an option considering all the snow you've had there. I was considering looking at Broomfield, Boulder, Longmont, Superior or Louisville and mostly sticking to in-city parks and environs (no hiking because I'll be by myself).

I appreciate any suggestions, though I realize conditions there change on a daily basis!

many thanks

--markta

I hate to say it, but you're probably out of luck this weekend. We're expecting yet another big storm to roll in Thursday night. You'll get the chance to try out your new winter clothes though, the high Saturday should be less than 10°F :laughing:

many thanks

--markta

I hate to say it, but you're probably out of luck this weekend. We're expecting yet another big storm to roll in Thursday night. You'll get the chance to try out your new winter clothes though, the high Saturday should be less than 10°F :laughing:

We're developing a list of Winter Friendly caches, and it's growing! So far there is only 1 cache in Boulder that has been identified as 'Winter Friendly, and that's Pearl Street, all Spruced up.

The list will continue to grow as more cachers submit their findings. Keep checking the Winter Friendly page for updates

many thanks

--markta

We're developing a list of Winter Friendly caches, and it's growing! So far there is only 1 cache in Boulder that has been identified as 'Winter Friendly, and that's Pearl Street, all Spruced up.

The list will continue to grow as more cachers submit their findings. Keep checking the Winter Friendly page for updates

the Boulder area is expected to reach 20 deg F on Saturday.

around Boulder, this cache, this cache and this cache are other caches that are winter friendly (for Colorado).

many thanks

--markta

around Boulder, this cache, this cache and this cache are other caches that are winter friendly (for Colorado).

I've added those three to the list.

many thanks

--markta

I hate to say it, but you're probably out of luck this weekend. We're expecting yet another big storm to roll in Thursday night. You'll get the chance to try out your new winter clothes though, the high Saturday should be less than 10°F :ph34r:

You can add Thomas Tomes (GCP4TH) to your list (for Boulder). It's in the library so it can be done in any weather.

We'll be in CO soon so finding out about your Winter Friendly List was quite timely.

P.S. Pearl Street All Spruced Up has a really nice final if you like urban cammo caches. It's in plain sight and yet, it took us half an hour to spot it... :laughing:

many thanks

--markta

I hate to say it, but you're probably out of luck this weekend. We're expecting yet another big storm to roll in Thursday night. You'll get the chance to try out your new winter clothes though, the high Saturday should be less than 10°F :ph34r:

You can add Thomas Tomes (GCP4TH) to your list (for Boulder). It's in the library so it can be done in any weather.

We'll be in CO soon so finding out about your Winter Friendly List was quite timely.

P.S. Pearl Street All Spruced Up has a really nice final if you like urban cammo caches. It's in plain sight and yet, it took us half an hour to spot it... :laughing:

Oh, yeah...another fun wintertime cache is "Mary Jane Cache" (GCAD65). It's at the Mary Jane ski area (Sunnyside) and is accessible by skis or snowboard.

(I've gone to the Winter Friendly List and recommended a few more that I know of...)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
GLOBAL WARMING, MY REAR END...

No kidding!

It was -8 deg F when I woke up this morning!

If those San Diego people were travelling here, maybe they could pack some sunshine and heat in the trunk for us. <places another log on the fire>

Finally able to go out and find a 'winter friendly' cache today. Pretty sure it was -2 out when I signed the log.

....And yet the MN cachers don't have snow on the ground.........something just ain't right.........sheesh... :blink:

No kidding!

If those San Diego people were travelling here, maybe they could pack some sunshine and heat in the trunk for us. <places another log on the fire>

Finally able to go out and find a 'winter friendly' cache today. Pretty sure it was -2 out when I signed the log.

....And yet the MN cachers don't have snow on the ground.........something just ain't right.........sheesh... :blink:

I managed to grab one yesterday so that I could send off my Unite For Diabetes T-Bug. It was and ammo can, but it was under a bridge, so it wasn't buried in the snow. Mrs. Rocketman's cachemobile said it was 3 deg F out there. Fortunately it was a quick park and grab or I may have froze to death. RM

P.S. - The long term weather forecast shows yet another storm for next weekend. That would make 5 weeks in a row. Arghhhh.

No kidding!

....And yet the MN cachers don't have snow on the ground.........something just ain't right.........sheesh... :o

I managed to grab one yesterday so that I could send off my Unite For Diabetes T-Bug. It was and ammo can, but it was under a bridge, so it wasn't buried in the snow. Mrs. Rocketman's cachemobile said it was 3 deg F out there. Fortunately it was a quick park and grab or I may have froze to death. RM

P.S. - The long term weather forecast shows yet another storm for next weekend. That would make 5 weeks in a row. Arghhhh.

Confirmed. Looks like more snow for the weekend. :)

-8 in Greeley, -2 in Longmont for the past few days too. Those park-n-grabs are looking mighty appealing about now. :):lol:

All this started Dec. 20th. Been a month and we're still unable to see the grass. It's been a long time since snow stayed on the ground this long in Denver Metro. Anyone remember the last?

No kidding!

Maybe Mr. Global Warming, Al Gore, should get his rear end in Colorado! :) It's been colder in SD this winter as well. It all goes in cycles. Hopefully next year it's warmer. But then again that means we have to listen to the global warming BS againnnnn. Maybe colder is better! :blink:

YAY! Winter find! I read your log and thought, "You didn't call me." Oh yeah, that's right. The OTHER one.

I've got great plans for your Jeep already. Now I just need to ask..... :drama:

Finally got to go to several of my caches in the lower Canyon, just cold, the trails were passable. But I think Snowshoes will be needed for the caches farther up the Big T.

The cold will probably prevent most people from venturing out. For the fifth weekend in a row, we received snow. Only 2 or 3 inches this time. Wonder what next weekend will be like. If we don't get snow, there's a chance we'll do some cache maintenance in Estes.

Snowshoes.....humm, may have to add them to my cachin' gear. Them and a metal detector :laughing:

No kidding!

....And yet the MN cachers don't have snow on the ground.........something just ain't right.........sheesh... :laughing:

Whew! For once we are glad to be back to San Diego! :drama:

It was -35F overnight in Fraser for most of the past week and the morning temps were still below zero. :drama: At least the cold will kill off a lot of the bark beetles and the skiing was most excellent!

We did manage to bag a few winter friendly caches while there and even found a couple that weren't winter friendly (We were lucky). Many, many thanks to those responsible for the "Winter Friendly" cache list.

Sorry about not bringing the sunshine. I could swear that I put it in the duffle... :drama:

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Way to go on the winter finds. All this snow has really made it hard on us cachers. Is it going to be six weeks of weekend snow in a row?

CBS says yes:

e0716d6e-ee32-438c-af74-860c574d8c11.jpg

ABC says no:

bbf7b3bd-3c0b-4876-b730-cf69c4b8ef04.jpg

Given the "light snow" you all had last Sunday, I think I'd stock up on supplies...

It was light. We only got 9 inches in Castle Rock. :huh:

Way to go on the winter finds. All this snow has really made it hard on us cachers. Is it going to be six weeks of weekend snow in a row?

CBS says yes:

ABC says no:

NBC says yes:

7ea4507a-8914-4926-b94e-964c49734249.jpg

Does this mean we get to pick the one we like best? :huh:

Sure. I'd go with NBC on Wed, Thurs, and Fri. ABC on Sat Sun.

Should we call them and let them know the new forecast? :huh:

CBS says yes:

ABC says no:

NBC says yes:

7ea4507a-8914-4926-b94e-964c49734249.jpg

Does this mean we get to pick the one we like best? :huh:

Sure. I'd go with NBC on Wed, Thurs, and Fri. ABC on Sat Sun.

Should we call them and let them know the new forecast? :huh:

Just need to check weather.com first. It might be possible to improve the forecast some more. :huh:

Its SNOWING again. Isn't this just awesome, soon it will be March and April and then we get our Spring Snows. And yes I can remember the May snow in '05.

JUST when I thought it was melting enough to get out... Just shovelled about 6 inches of dry powder off my walkway!

Sheesh... And I was all set to go today!

I just found out the Jeep can't make it through that snow back that the snow plow left 15 feet out from our curb. :cool: Of course I had to try. The bummer was that Mrs. RocketMan had to pull me out with her Sequoia. :wub:

That sounds very familiar, except that Sax Man's Wife had to use the Suburban to pull me out :cool:

My Jeep has never been stuck.