The Colorado Thread

RocketMan

Well, I had planned on my #4 series of off road caches being the last series for the summer because I was out of supplies. But, I have restocked on supplies sooner than I had expected, so I may just must have to place a #5 series, hopefully this time on a trail that is accessible in the winter.

I just got through cleaning a few new ammo cans tonight.

70a99d8a-dec9-4271-839b-cee55df0b74e.jpg

Edited by RocketMan

Well, I had planned on my #4 series of off road caches being the last series for the summer because I was out of supplies. But, I have restocked on supplies sooner than I had expected, so I may just must have to place a #5 series, hopefully this time on a trail that is accessible in the winter.

Dave,

Here's a Geocache idea for you. See, you make a pile of fifty-two ammo cans behind a boulder but only one ammo can of the pile has a sheet of paper for the log. Get it, they have to start opening ammo cans until they open the one with the log sheet. Cool idea that hasn't been done before, huh?

No charge,

Harmon

SD Rowdies &

Sandy Creek Cowboys :laughing::tired::laughing:

Dave,

Here's a Geocache idea for you. See, you make a pile of fifty-two ammo cans behind a boulder but only one ammo can of the pile has a sheet of paper for the log. Get it, they have to start opening ammo cans until they open the one with the log sheet. Cool idea that hasn't been done before, huh?

No charge,

Harmon

SD Rowdies &

Sandy Creek Cowboys :tired::tired::laughing:

That sounds mighty familiar, but who would do such a dastardly thing to their fellow geocachers? :laughing:

Dave,

No charge,

Harmon

SD Rowdies &

Sandy Creek Cowboys :tired::laughing::tired:

That sounds mighty familiar, but who would do such a dastardly thing to their fellow geocachers? :laughing:

Well, o.k., how about this ... seventy-five ammo cans in a dumpster?

If anyone is heading up to Georgia Pass to do my #3 series:

1. Moose Meadow

2. Stream Junction

3. Cabin With a View

4. Another View at the Top

5. Valley View

6. Awesome Meadow

7. View Back at the Pass

ColoradoScout's Georgia Pass Vista cache that is up at the pass needs a new ammo can/swag. It currently is a temporary micro container that replaced the original ammo can. Thanks, RM

Mrs. RocketMan and I took a trip up to the mountains today to check out the changing colors. I took her out on the Deer Creek/Glacier Mountain/Saints John Creek loop where I had placed my off road series #4 caches. She wasn't thrilled with some of the steep/edgy parts of the trail, but we had a great time. There was a lot of snow on some of the mountains and it was really cold up there. Winter is coming quick up there, so get out and do the off road caches soon before it is too late. Here are a few photos from the day:

RocketMan at Loveland Pass

aa906047-d713-4eb4-b08d-87ec11f9bcf0.jpg

Fall Color Pics

f0810244-a3a3-483a-9bdf-407cde081d78.jpg

490c5078-1b64-4ad1-8c5b-af8f5b897bcc.jpg

Jeep'n

3c2f366c-c41c-4a2b-8315-aab31ebaf2c0.jpg

There was no way she was going on this trail but we did. :D

a14317a9-f3d6-4965-9759-7724113ff4ba.jpg

Great pictures RocketMan! We wanted to attend the C.A.C.H.E. chili cook-off last Saturday but Mrs n0wae forgot I was leading a trip for my 4WD club. http://www.trr4wd.com/ I took the group to GCX0JB near the ghost town of Phoenix and let them find my cache before we explored the mill ruins. We then tried to wheel up to the high country on the Kingston Peak road but it was blizzard conditions up there! After retreating to lower elevations we wheeled Miners Gulch (rated 7) and then headed over to Apex. Watch out for the wacko resident Bill... he can trap you for hours talking about alien caches! We wheeled over to a nice shaft house just west of Perigo. (I'm gonna put a cache there some day!) We then exited to the peak to peak highway via Gamble Gultch and drove north admiring the fall colors. The 4WD club members that found my cache have already made an account on GC.com and logged their first cache! (Cool!)

Champion Mill

8726066d-efad-43dd-82c5-b3c1c851043c.jpg

Miners Gulch

81bbd645-1a21-413d-b8aa-aa86ae19b38b.jpg

Shaft House

85d45881-3768-48a9-b4e5-6d17f2e575e7.jpg

Great pictures RocketMan! We wanted to attend the C.A.C.H.E. chili cook-off last Saturday but Mrs n0wae forgot I was leading a trip for my 4WD club. http://www.trr4wd.com/ I took the group to GCX0JB near the ghost town of Phoenix and let them find my cache before we explored the mill ruins. We then tried to wheel up to the high country on the Kingston Peak road but it was blizzard conditions up there! After retreating to lower elevations we wheeled Miners Gulch (rated 7) and then headed over to Apex. Watch out for the wacko resident Bill... he can trap you for hours talking about alien caches! We wheeled over to a nice shaft house just west of Perigo. (I'm gonna put a cache there some day!) We then exited to the peak to peak highway via Gamble Gultch and drove north admiring the fall colors. The 4WD club members that found my cache have already made an account on GC.com and logged their first cache! (Cool!)

Champion Mill

8726066d-efad-43dd-82c5-b3c1c851043c.jpg

Miners Gulch

81bbd645-1a21-413d-b8aa-aa86ae19b38b.jpg

Shaft House

85d45881-3768-48a9-b4e5-6d17f2e575e7.jpg

That sounds like some really fun Jeep'n. Great pictures too. I look forward to getting my Jeep on some stuff like you show in the center photo. Too bad the high country is going to be off limits soon. I head to Moab at the end of next week so I am sure I will get a good chance to test out the Rubicon. RM

I took my son and his girlfriend off roading yesterday and I placed my #5 series of off road caches. This series was placed on a trail that is accessible in winter, weather permitting (unlike my other series). I have to go back out this afternoon to move one of the caches because I messed up and placed it too close to an existing cache. There are 10 caches in the series and I hope to get them all submitted tonight. RM

Okay, here's a tease of what's hopefully coming this winter.

http://www.coloradoski.com/resorts/cams.cfm

http://www.cotrip.org/atis/web.ZoomboxMars...V&Zoombox=0

It looks like the high country has gotten just a bit of snow the last couple of days.

View From my Backyard

e037b33a-3e11-4301-9d58-4031ddac7583.jpg

Looks like I made my drive through the mountains at just the right time . . .

Near "Alkali Trail."

1b882424-4da1-43c9-9628-032bda690954.jpg

The next two pictures were taken after I found "Fooses Creek Cache" as I continued up the pass.

5a33e082-fe61-41ab-ad4d-cb334aeae4e7.jpg

ecb19d1d-3578-446f-aa67-57cf1a51cc1f.jpg

I really loved Ouray . . . what a beautiful setting for a historic town. I wanna move there . . . :lol:

453_Reflection.jpg

Edited by Miragee
Okay, here's a tease of what's hopefully coming this winter.

http://www.coloradoski.com/resorts/cams.cfm

http://www.cotrip.org/atis/web.ZoomboxMars...V&Zoombox=0

It looks like the high country has gotten just a bit of snow the last couple of days.

View From my Backyard

e037b33a-3e11-4301-9d58-4031ddac7583.jpg

Looks like I made my drive through the mountains at just the right time . . .

Near "Alkali Trail."

1b882424-4da1-43c9-9628-032bda690954.jpg

The next two pictures were taken after I found "Fooses Creek Cache" as I continued up the pass.

5a33e082-fe61-41ab-ad4d-cb334aeae4e7.jpg

ecb19d1d-3578-446f-aa67-57cf1a51cc1f.jpg

I really loved Ouray . . . what a beautiful setting for a historic town. I wanna move there . . . :lol:

453_Reflection.jpg

Awesome photos Miragee. It looks like you did time it just right. Thanks for posting them. RM

Jeeze you were in ouray and did not even Look me up????? :lol:

Sorry . . . :huh: I was driving without a plan. :lol: Earlier in the day when I had a WiFi connection at the Sacred Ground coffee shop in Salida, I didn't know which route I was going to take.

When I got to Ouray, it was getting late and the beautiful clouds were coalescing into storm clouds. Since I was "car camping," I wanted to get to better weather, so I drove over the passes and arrived in Durango, in the rain, after dark.

Next time I drive to Colorado, Ouray will definitely be on my route and I'll contact you. It was so astoundingly beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes . . . You are very fortunate to live there . . . :P

My last off road series for the year (#5) was submitted last night and the caches are awaiting approval. This series should be accessable all winter long, weather permitting. Once approved, the caches can be viewed here:

1. Pikes Big View

2. Nice Point of View

3. WOW!

4. Giant Boulder

5. Pikes Peak-A-Boo

6. Lone Rock

7. Sea of Trees

8. Balanced Rock

9. Granite Overlook

10. Boulder Valley

11. Sentry

Enjoy,

RM

e7cbe2b0-14a4-428e-9da0-47cd51f9086f.jpg

I just read the news story of the school shooting in CO today.

I'm sorry for the loss of the young girl. I am selfishly hoping it wasn't anyone in our caching communities family.

C4

This was extremely tragic indeed. I have a daughter in high school and the thought of such things just makes me shudder.

I know a few folks at work who had kids at Columbine during the incident there. One I talked to had a daughter in the cafeteria where the shootings occurred. Fortunately, none of their kids were harmed, but it sure hits close to home when you talk to those folks.

RM

Are you ready for Caching in the Snow. Its coming in Today.

Some folks already started caching in the snow yesterday. Grand High Pobah and Greasepot went out and did my #5 off road series yesterday that encompasses much of Rampart Range Road and all of Mount Herman Road and it sounds like the had snow falling most of the day. It must have been cold, but it actually sounds like it was fun. Here is a quote from GHP:

"We decided to do the R/M 5 series before winter set in. Surprise, most of the caches today were done in a snow storm They were still fun but the view was definitely limited."

Mrs. RocketMan said that Castle Rock is supposed to get 3-5 inches tonight which I will miss because I am in Manhattan Beach near LAX. It's funny because last year I missed the fist big snow which was in October because I was off roading in Moab where it was T-Shirt weather most of the time. :rolleyes:

RocketMan

That rain is already turning to snow up here at Waterton Canyon! ;)

May be a fun drive home tonight. :D

OK, I am replying to my own post. A little strange I know.

Here in Castle Rock, it is snowing big time. We have about 6 inches already and it looks like there is a lot more coming. How's it looking in your part of town?

Out on our deck

5dde9d55-18f6-453a-9feb-6e22dc68dce8.jpg

My Rubicon that was just out in the warm sun in Moab a week ago.

40ba0de0-241a-4437-8924-a55d4f56d0eb.jpg

I was on my way to Keystone when the snow hit. Fun drive on I-70 I must say. Did a few caches on the way up, but only a few - really wanted to beat the snow.

Will load some pics in a bit. Trying to load them on cache pages now isn't working so well (server too busy 'n' all).

I'd say Keystone had around 5-7 inches fall while I was visiting. Sure did limit caching activity while there..... :laughing:

What about San Diego....can we talk about San Diego????
Only if you are from Colorado. :)

What if we are from San Diego and live in Colorado now? :)

OK with me. :)

Hey Rocketman~

We heard you were getting a 'little' snow in your area today! Thought you'd like to know it's

85 and sunny here! I got sunburned while mowing the lawn yesterday and now it's time

for a nap in the hammock. :unsure:

We all miss you!

The Splashes ;):)

What about San Diego....can we talk about San Diego????
Only if you are from Colorado. :)

What if we are from San Diego and live in Colorado now? :)

OK with me. :)

Hey Rocketman~

We heard you were getting a 'little' snow in your area today! Thought you'd like to know it's

85 and sunny here! I got sunburned while mowing the lawn yesterday and now it's time

for a nap in the hammock. :unsure:

We all miss you!

The Splashes ;):D

You are just jealous because we get to play in the snow. :)

It stopped snowing a couple of hours ago and turned to rain here in Littleton but Mrs. RocketMan says it been snowing hard all day long in Castle Rock with over a foot of accumulation. The funny thing is that the weekend temps are going to be around 70 so the snow will be long gone. RM

Congrats to doc4001 for being the first to bag all eleven caches in my #5 off road series with FTF's on several of the caches.

2. Nice Point of View

3. WOW!

4. Giant Boulder

5. Pikes Peak-A-Boo

6. Lone Rock

7. Sea of Trees

8. Balanced Rock

9. Granite Overlook

10. Boulder Valley

11. Sentry

RocketMan

I was able to do some of this series on the 16th (just the ones between Garden of the Gods and Woodland Park). They are great caches! Unfortunately the clearance on my Saturn sedan won't let me do your other series (or the rest of this one). I did Mt. Herman Rd in my Dodge Shadow years ago and didn't think I'd get down in one piece (the car, not me). :unsure: My Saturn sits even lower, so even though I'm really good at picking my way around the worst parts of the road, it does have it's limits.

Lots of snow today in the Springs! I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't had to get to work in it!