Is this right ?

MouseFart

I have a friend who has a 10 year old son. I have an 11 year old and both kids have placed their own cache sites. My buddies kid got 3 published about a week ago and this past weekend, we went out to the location they were in and found 2 of them. The 3rd was never located on the web site for us to get the coords for it. Today when back at work, my buddy told me that all 3 had been published, but a couple of days later, one was removed by a reviewer because it was within 500 ft of another cache site and rightfully so I can understand.

The third cache which we never found on the website had been published for two days and two folks had logged it when it was pulled. The reason given was because it was a 1/1 rating, it had to be wheelchair accessible and because it was not, it was pulled.

Is this true that a 1/1 has to be wheelchair accessible?

Nope, can't find it.

Yes 1 star terrain should be handicap accessible. Its on the Clayjar cache rating program which is linked to on the "hide a cache" page.

I never heard of a reviewer pulling a cache for that reason though. Its not a guideline violation that should prevent publishing. There must be something else going on here that isn't being mentioned.

I have a friend who has a 10 year old son. I have an 11 year old and both kids have placed their own cache sites. My buddies kid got 3 published about a week ago and this past weekend, we went out to the location they were in and found 2 of them. The 3rd was never located on the web site for us to get the coords for it. Today when back at work, my buddy told me that all 3 had been published, but a couple of days later, one was removed by a reviewer because it was within 500 ft of another cache site and rightfully so I can understand.

The third cache which we never found on the website had been published for two days and two folks had logged it when it was pulled. The reason given was because it was a 1/1 rating, it had to be wheelchair accessible and because it was not, it was pulled.

I'm confused. You say it was pulled for being to close to another cache (makes sense), and then you say it was pulled for not being wheelchair accessible(???). Were 2 of the caches pulled?

Yes, we are talking about two seperate cache sites. The one within 500 feet of another was pulled because of the proximity to another cache, reasonably so. The second cache is the one that was published then pulled because of the 1/1 rating and then determined that it was not handicap accessible. I see now that it is back on the website and he has changed it to a 1.5/1 rating.

Lone Oak Hole

Yes, we are talking about two seperate cache sites. The one within 500 feet of another was pulled because of the proximity to another cache, reasonably so. The second cache is the one that was published then pulled because of the 1/1 rating and then determined that it was not handicap accessible. I see now that it is back on the website and he has changed it to a 1.5/1 rating.

Lone Oak Hole

Perhaps I'm confused.

Lone Oak Hole has a terrain rating of 1 and it has a difficulty rating of 1.5.

If it is not wheelchair accessible, it needs to be rated a 1.5/1.5

The rating system is here YOu get them when you are filling out the cache page.

Here are the terrain ratings:

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.)

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

I just got a message this morning from a reviewer on a cache that I recently submitted and was approved today. It is the perfect answer to your question. Notice that the reviewer said the cache would be published monentarily and to please check the terrain, NOT fix the terrain before I will approve the cache.

"Hello,

Your new cache submission will be published momentarily, but I would ask you to please double-check to make sure the terrain is rated properly. If you used the cache rating system link ( http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/ ) when you submitted the cache, you will note that a 1 star terrain cache should be wheelchair accessible. If that's the case, great! If it's not, then the terrain should be at least 1.5 stars. For more information, please see this article: http://www.todayscacher.com/2004/sep/outdoors.asp#disable "

I just got a message this morning from a reviewer on a cache that I recently submitted and was approved today. It is the perfect answer to your question. Notice that the reviewer said the cache would be published monentarily and to please check the terrain, NOT fix the terrain before I will approve the cache.

"Hello,

Your new cache submission will be published momentarily, but I would ask you to please double-check to make sure the terrain is rated properly. If you used the cache rating system link ( http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/ ) when you submitted the cache, you will note that a 1 star terrain cache should be wheelchair accessible. If that's the case, great! If it's not, then the terrain should be at least 1.5 stars. For more information, please see this article: http://www.todayscacher.com/2004/sep/outdoors.asp#disable "

This is very important, because I hunt with my 3 small children. I go after ones that are rated 2 or less, preferably less. I read the cache descriptions to see if they would be kid friendly. I have gone after so many that have been raqted very low and then I get there and it is horrible. Should be rated a 3 or more. No one bothers to change the rating or even check on the cache when I write my DNF and tell them exactly why. One even said it was "easily accessible to children and elderly" and "a great place for a picnic". I go after it thinking great, my kids will love this one. I get there and it is the most horrible cache site I have ever seen. I wouldn't place a cache there for any reason, and definitely wouldn't tell people to take their kids to it! Very snaky, swampy, thich with trees and underbrush (really thick), and you have to wade in water that at times could be over your knees, or at the very least it will be swampy and marshy, to get to the cache container that is hidden on a little island area that is so swampy and overgrown and seems to be a nest of snakes. THIS is one that should be removed. It is going after caches like this one that has soured my kids to the geocaching experience. There is no way this is fun for them.

Yes this is true - I constantly find caches with a 1 star terrain that are in no way wheelchair accessible. I try to note it in logs and have even emailed a few cache owners but very few have ever changed it. In my experience, about 2 out of 3 with a terrain 1 rating should be a 1.5 or 2. In some cases should be as high as a 3.

Yes this is true - I constantly find caches with a 1 star terrain that are in no way wheelchair accessible. I try to note it in logs and have even emailed a few cache owners but very few have ever changed it. In my experience, about 2 out of 3 with a terrain 1 rating should be a 1.5 or 2. In some cases should be as high as a 3.

I agree, what the reviewer did would be OK if all reviewers did this, but it is far from the norm. He/she should've also given you the chance to change the terrain rating to a 1.5 before deleting. I also find that about 2/3 of the "terrain 1" caches I've been to should be 1.5 but logs, notes to owner, even emails to a reviewer don't seem to change it. I think you just got "unlucky".

On the other hand, the "difficulty" rating of 1 has nothing to do with wheelchairs, etc. it is just the "terrain" rating that is the issue here. Good luck!

Hello,

Caches are not denied because of improper ratings, so there's no reason to retract a listing because it isn't wheelchair accessible.

I see there is a cache your friend hid that was not published at all, and the reviewer left a note explaining why right on the cache page itself. An emailed copy would have also been sent to the account that submitted the cache.

Hope that helps.