Travel Bug Concern

Donmoore

I just noticed today that there is a new cache in Northern Ireland which apparently is going to be northern irelands first TB hotel. it is situated near the airport for anyone going on holiday or for vistors going home who can help TB's on their mission.

I see that tonight it has managed to have 5 TB placed in it all by the owner. he appears to being going round all caches in the area removing TB's and placing them in this hotel regardless of their mission.

I am just interested to know if this is the purpose of the Hotel or should i contact this guy and kindly ask him to be more sensitive to others who may want to go to more than one cache for TBs or indeed to help them on their mission.

Well, none of the bugs were moved against thier goals, and the cache doesn't have any one for one trade restriction (Thank goodness). I'd let it go for now.

If they make it a habit to harvest bugs I would send them the post the Hermit Crabs made:

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel.

I am just interested to know if this is the purpose of the Hotel or should i contact this guy and kindly ask him to be more sensitive to others who may want to go to more than one cache for TBs or indeed to help them on their mission.

Dont' stress out they are just travel bugs. :blink:

Anyway I don't like the idea of TB hotels. Not even then they don't have trade restrictions. Reason is simple they become more or less travel bug prisions sooner or later.

Edited by Geovius

...as for the placing of the cache, I suggest not worrying. Our reviewers do apply common sense and would not have approved it if there was likely to be a problem. If you have some insight that the cache owner and reviewer would not then a polite email might be called for, but otherwise I suggest not carrying the caching world on your shoulders and leaving it.

For reference I don't like people collecting TBs just for there new cache, but there is no rule against it. I normally contact the TB or coin owner if I place them in a cache I am placing until it is well tested, but I am strange like that.

I am not stressing about the whole thing it's just that not many travel bugs pass by these parts and when someone is harvesting all the TBs in the area it takes that little extra insentive away from visiting some caches.

I think i will leave it for now and see if this cacher continues his harvesting before doing anything.

I'm starting to become a real moan on here so i'm going to have to find some other N.I cachers to take up matters arising.

thanks for your comments this far.

I am not stressing about the whole thing it's just that not many travel bugs pass by these parts and when someone is harvesting all the TBs in the area it takes that little extra insentive away from visiting some caches.

I think i will leave it for now and see if this cacher continues his harvesting before doing anything.

I'm starting to become a real moan on here so i'm going to have to find some other N.I cachers to take up matters arising.

Geocaching Ireland has lots of Irish cachers and some of them are NI based. Erik the Reviewer for Ireland is an active member so that may be a good spot to vent your concerns relating to Irish caches.

GeoX has some NI cachers but has developed a strong Scottish contingent also so NI related questions tend to get buried a bit.

Also I've been informed that the cacher in question is a "she" rather than a "he" and I have a feeling they would rather you approached them directly with your concerns rather than in a public forum. It's not hard to work out who you're talking about. There aren't too many caches in Ireland to make it a difficult job :blink:

your pretty new to this game.

I just hate seeing that prefix, what comes next is so predictable. :huh:

Nothing personal... :)

No worries, rarely take anything personally.

Predictable yep but is it bad advice?

Advice spot on, but being reminded that you (I am one) are a newby is just a tad irritating. Glad you don't take offence. :blink:

Not bad advice at all. I think some folks need to get out caching more, instead of trying to be the authority on other folks caching habits. You just need to look at the posts to finds ratio of some of the folks mouthing off lately to see that.

T

A tad below the belt, the man merely asked for advice/a questin! :blink:

I've re-read the OP, and it still looks like a mild rant to me. More of a 'I don't like what someone else is doing' than a request for advice.

TB hotels are a good way of getting TBs moving, and encourage TBs into the area as well as out of the area (Surely the point of TBs is to travel?)

We are currently planning a trip to Northern Ireland, and this new TB hotel is likely to encourage us to bring more over there. In fact when I did a search last week I was surprised there wasn't any TB hotels there already.

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

Not bad advice at all. I think some folks need to get out caching more, instead of trying to be the authority on other folks caching habits. You just need to look at the posts to finds ratio of some of the folks mouthing off lately to see that.

T

I would have to agree with John here as he appears to be one of not many allies here(theres me thinking this would be a friendly past time) My cache finds are quite good i think.. have you ever looked at the amount of caches in Northern Ireland? and how far they are apart? if i scroll 5 pages in my cloest to my home co-ords point i am in a different country!

I have no problem with people who want to critcise me as long as they are prepared to do it to my face.

I might organise a Northern Ireland event see how many of you turn up.

I've re-read the OP, and it still looks like a mild rant to me. More of a 'I don't like what someone else is doing' than a request for advice.

TB hotels are a good way of getting TBs moving, and encourage TBs into the area as well as out of the area (Surely the point of TBs is to travel?)

We are currently planning a trip to Northern Ireland, and this new TB hotel is likely to encourage us to bring more over there. In fact when I did a search last week I was surprised there wasn't any TB hotels there already.

Yes in my opinion i don't like what someone is doing that is why i have posted this to seek advice on if this is common procedure to move lots of TB's to your own cache and put people off going to find some because they enjoy help TB's on missions.

Let me know when you are coming and perhaps we will meet up hopefully your are more friendly in real life.

T

I would have to agree with John here as he appears to be one of not many allies here(theres me thinking this would be a friendly past time) My cache finds are quite good i think.. have you ever looked at the amount of caches in Northern Ireland? and how far they are apart? if i scroll 5 pages in my cloest to my home co-ords point i am in a different country!

I have no problem with people who want to critcise me as long as they are prepared to do it to my face.

Quite happy to do it to your face but you could just as easily come over to one of the many meets in England or Wales. I won't be going to Northern Ireland any time soon I have far too much to do here.

Chill out a little and think a little about how you word your posts and you may find that we are indeed a friendly bunch.

T

Quite happy to do it to your face but you could just as easily come over to one of the many meets in England or Wales. I won't be going to Northern Ireland any time soon I have far too much to do here.

Chill out a little and think a little about how you word your posts and you may find that we are indeed a friendly bunch.

Can not see many of you being too friendly at all. i don't think i have worded any of my posts that badly. see thats a huge problem with typing hard to judge the intent of the poster.

I may indeed at some point atend one of these england and wales meets but for now like you said i have to much to do here.

Chilled i am practically horizontal.

Geocaching Ireland has lots of Irish cachers and some of them are NI based. Erik the Reviewer for Ireland is an active member so that may be a good spot to vent your concerns relating to Irish caches.

GeoX has some NI cachers but has developed a strong Scottish contingent also so NI related questions tend to get buried a bit.

Also I've been informed that the cacher in question is a "she" rather than a "he" and I have a feeling they would rather you approached them directly with your concerns rather than in a public forum. It's not hard to work out who you're talking about. There aren't too many caches in Ireland to make it a difficult job :blink:

thanks for your advice Niall. i was going to contact the person in question ( i thought it was a guy bacuse of name looked like a popular guys name) but i wanted to know first what was the purpose of the hotel and if what they are doing is the objective of it.

Lol

but YAWN!!!!

Hopefully you are suitably chilled now your even yawning. or if it is because this thread is boring you like i have been told a few times now by the "friendly bunch" just scroll on past and read something that is of interest to you.

I am doing now. I has ceased to be entertaining.

:blink:

Donny...take a step back and breathe. You're getting yourself a tad het up and you're letting others wind you up for their own ends.

First of all this is a very open and friendly forum where it's possible to pick up lots of useful advice and help. No matter what way it is said you are a relative newcomer so don't expect people that have been around for ages to suddenly conform to your way of thinking. You asked a question and it was answered. Just because you didn't get a resounding "Yes by God, you're right!" doesn't mean that the advice was wrong.

I know the cache you're talking about and to be honest it's difficult to set up a TB Hotel unless you have TBs to put into it. The owner went out caching the last couple of days and collected a TB in each cache. She deposited them in her TB Hotel to kickstart it and to move them on. As has been said already TBs are made to travel. This they have done. Also they are now more likely to put on serious mileage as they are close to the airport and have the potential to go abroad. She's playing the game in a perfectly legitimate way. In fact I did something similar with the TB Hotel at Knock when I relocated it for the owner. I figured it was better than holding on to the bugs for ages. Much better than losing them too which I seem to have done with the last one I lifted :blink:

If you are going to contact the owner (which I would advise against) please be tactful and develop a thick skin as you're likely to be told to stick your opinion where the sun don't shine :huh:

should that have been:

I have? :blink:

John, I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not but I really think you should pull yopur horns in a bit! You're coming across as a stirrer and a mixer poking at lots of things people say. I find it quite confrontational and I think it's out of place on this forum. Some day you'll find that you need some advice and people will be slow at giving it because of past perceived behaviour. It's your call and I apologise if you're offended but a lot of your posts are creating a bad atmosphere.

i'm seriously not that heated up or al that bothered and i am certainly not wound up i just reply to anything that is said to me.

I do not expect anyone to conform to my way of thinking at all. thats why i starting coming here to get opinions on the game.

First impressions are important mine my not be that good now that i seem to have offended or bothered people but likewise my opinion of some is not that great either.

So the chance of me taking very much of what is on here serious has been greatly reduced. i will just try and find some people i reckon can communicate with and see what their thoughts are.

Back at the topic, I can explain the reason for that...

Local cachers here have discussed the possibility of a TB Hotel several times in the last two years. On each occasion, the idea was shelved - mainly because of the very stringent security measures in place for Belfast International Airport.

There are only two major roads giving access to the airport campus. All surrounding minor roads were closed and blocked off years ago. The idea of a visiting cacher trying to find a nearby TB hotel, suddenly finding themselves looking into blinding lights while a voice orders then to remain still and keep their hands in sight, is not one that we could contemplate with equanimity.

None of this affects the "new" cache - it's more than 20Km from the Airport, by road, and isn't near a major city.

Not a problem then - but not really an Airport TB hotel, either.

-Wlw

should that have been:

I have? :wub:

John, I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not but I really think you should pull yopur horns in a bit! You're coming across as a stirrer and a mixer poking at lots of things people say. I find it quite confrontational and I think it's out of place on this forum. Some day you'll find that you need some advice and people will be slow at giving it because of past perceived behaviour. It's your call and I apologise if you're offended but a lot of your posts are creating a bad atmosphere.

:wub::cry: JML being funny

:o:cry: JML annoyed, not being funny.

There are three types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened. :o JML wondering what happened!

I can only echo Dino's remarks, he has hit the nail on the head for both Donmoore and JML.

I am not the best at putting myself across, and at times I have offended people, but I have always had the courage to admit my mistakes and make an open apology.

In the past couple of days I have been offended by posts made by both Donmoore and JML. I admit that only 10 minutes ago I made a wee come back on an OT thread that both of you have had a chat on. Perhaps it was a bit uncalled for? I can only apologise if I have made you feel uneasy or offended you in any way.

I would have to agree with John here as he appears to be one of not many allies here(theres me thinking this would be a friendly past time)

You make this sound as though it is some sort of war and you are in the midst of battle. I can assure you that the largest majority of people that are on here are friendly.

I do believe this isn't the first time you have used such a phrase. I actually find this threatening. It says to me, "Try and say it to my face and I will fill yours in for you". You obviously think that most of us aren't friendly, but I can assure you comments like that are certainly going to keep you off my Christmas card list.

I would be more than happy to discuss any of this face to face with you. :wub: Although I can think of nicer things to chat about not just on here but face to face.

To try and get the thread back on track, I don't see a problem with collecting TB's to get a hotel going as long as they don't end up there as prisoners. This can be the result of "one in one out" rules and I have to hold my hand up and say that my hotel originally originally operated that way. I was recently convinced by a thread on the US forum that this kind of rule was a mistake.

A hotel owner should not be preventing the last bug in a cache from moving until another shows up. The purpose of a hotel is to ease the flow of bugs, not to guarantee bug availability. This may mean the a hotel is empty from time to time but that is a sign that it's working properly. A hotel that remains empty over long periods is probably superfluous.

I do believe this isn't the first time you have used such a phrase. I actually find this threatening. It says to me, "Try and say it to my face and I will fill yours in for you". You obviously think that most of us aren't friendly, but I can assure you comments like that are certainly going to keep you off my Christmas card list.

I would be more than happy to discuss any of this face to face with you. :( Although I can think of nicer things to chat about not just on here but face to face.

I in no way intended it to be a comment of come and have a go if you think your hard enough. as i'm a lover not a fighter. what i meant by it. it seems to me many like to sit behind their computers and heap out semi-offensive comments to me and perhaps others and i'm sure that most would not be so confrontational with face to face meetings.

I think it's perhaps like the old training method of always make eye contact with people you are addressing because it shows your intent. I have only posted a couple of topics on here to get opinions and each of them seem to turn into mass slagging matches. i am obviously looking in the wrong place for friendly advice which being new would like to find out what certain protocol is and such. i think from now on i will just read forums on here to save me getting a bad name and i obviously annoy quite a few people here. so hopefully over time and maybe if i become a premium memeber find 2,000 caches and post around the same amount people may have warmed to me!

Edited by Donmoore

If you stop posting, the vocal minority win yet again. WE are never all going to agree on everything, Ever.

I was going to say keep posting and just ignore the negative answers but I can't do that myself :D so why should I expect you to.

Right now I am up to my neck in a battle with my Local Authority and that is keeping me busy, Emails are a flying. :(

The vocal minority appears to be Jonmelad and Donmoore sorry but to be honest you both seem out to live under bridges.

Again i have tried to tidy this topic up and you have tried to turn it into another slagging match i would prefer if you have nothing to comment on about what the intial thread was on i'd rather you jsut past it by. :(

The vocal minority appears to be Jonmelad and Donmoore sorry but to be honest you both seem out to live under bridges.

I think you will find that your suggestion to think and drink (see avatar) is very much a minority opinion, and one that I find offencive.

See even I can choose to find something not meant to be offencive offencive if I choose. :(

Lighten up Mongoose.

(Johnmelad circa 18:17 2006 AD)

I just noticed today that there is a new cache in Northern Ireland which apparently is going to be northern irelands first TB hotel. it is situated near the airport for anyone going on holiday or for vistors going home who can help TB's on their mission.

I see that tonight it has managed to have 5 TB placed in it all by the owner. he appears to being going round all caches in the area removing TB's and placing them in this hotel regardless of their mission.

I don't see a problem with this - as a way to get a TB hotel started. It's no different to collecting TBs or geocoins before a trip abroad in order to help them move on.