The Initial Point Geocoin

Rattlingcrew

This Initial Point has been involved in more than a few caches in the years I have been caching.

I see a series of Initial Point coins in the future :lol:. It looks like the Willamette Meridian might be older than the one in NE/KS by as much as 3 years?

I am sure that a couple of guys that made a Trail to Oregon would take exeption to the reference of lack of civilization :o

Anyway, it looks like land claims way out west were being recorded as early as 1850. The benchmark disk isn't particularly old as you can see in the picture.

Good job on the first Initial Point coin! Who's doing the next one?

I would imagine that the actual coins arrival is three weeks away. Like I posted earlier, I will use this post and just contact people down the list. Antique brass seems to be the most popular and we are around 65 for those, so the numbers are holding up pretty good so far. Thanks all for the kind comments. Glen

This Initial Point has been involved in more than a few caches in the years I have been caching.

I see a series of Initial Point coins in the future :lol:. It looks like the Willamette Meridian might be older than the one in NE/KS by as much as 3 years?

I am sure that a couple of guys that made a Trail to Oregon would take exeption to the reference of lack of civilization :o

Anyway, it looks like land claims way out west were being recorded as early as 1850. The benchmark disk isn't particularly old as you can see in the picture.

Good job on the first Initial Point coin! Who's doing the next one?

You know there are a lot of flukes in the settlement of the plains states. The west coast was settled long before the plains states. Another oddity is that we are called the west, so what does that make the west coast? Way out west? Anyway, there are many cities on the West Coast that were established a long time before the plains states.

I would also bet there are a lot of Initial Points in the survey system. I have my eye on a benchmark that is currently buried under steam engine cinders, been that way since 1900. It was set in 1891. The railroad has given me permission to dig it out. I have photos of a twin, I might have to use this one for my personal coin. A lot of the UP lines were realigned off of this bench mark.

It did not help when a certain set of explorers described Kansas as a desolate desert, not capable of supporting civilized life. What do you expect for some furs and beads? Glen

So far, I think the numbers are going to hold up pretty good. Antique brass is definitely the most popular. Still, I think we are around 110 antique brass coins spoken for. They will be a first speak first serve type of deal, if I added wrong and run out of antique brass coins. I will still contact everybody on the list and let them know the status. :) Here I was afraid they might not sell because of them being a real oddball in everybody's display. They definitely look cool though, my deal has always been if I like them, I buy them... and I like these! Thanks All, Glen