Suction Mount Laws

egami

I noticed in MN (and CA, but I drive there anyway) there is a law regarding suction mounts on windshield. Can you get around this by mounting on side window? Anyone know?

Can you point to the law? I ask because most states have a law that has been construed this way, however when looked at closely often make mention of "obstructed view". i.e. not to be placed in a manner that obstructs the view of the vehicle operator.

No, I can't point to the law...I am just going off of websites that you order from that have a disclaimer.

For example here (look at bottom right of page): http://www.gpsonsale.com/garmin/products/76Cx.htm

They do mention the specific laws, but I don't have time atm to look them up online...thought maybe someone here might know firsthand.

And *bonk* for the velcro comment...my poor Ram 1500 would cry if I did that! :laughing:

Edited by egami

In California I see ALL KINDS OF CRAP hanging from the rear view mirror. Nobody is EVER cited for it. I use a suction mount in the lower left corner of my windshield. It blocks almost nothing from my view. I've been next to a lot of CHP cars and none has ever pulled me over. Don't mount the thing in the middle of the windshield where it is an obvious hazard and you will be fine in California.

In California I see ALL KINDS OF CRAP hanging from the rear view mirror. Nobody is EVER cited for it. ...

Never say never. I suspect that this is a useful law to pull someone over if they are suspicious, but no other law has been broken. I also suspect that a person might get a second ticket for this if they irritate a LEO.

not clear on any local laws, but if you mount dead center on the dash (or perhaps a little to the left) but near the inside edge it is possible to have the thing in direct view but not blocking ANY visibility. If the only thing it blocks is your view of the hood, what is the harm?

You might miss the flames shooting out! :blink:

Yeah, I am thinking this is largely a non-issue, was just curious if people from MN or CA had any first hand experience with it.

In California I see ALL KINDS OF CRAP hanging from the rear view mirror.

I was going to mention that, too. There is a definite pattern from I can see - especially the ones who have a CD hanging from their mirror. They seem to have their last name in the rear window, too, in Old English letters, but they don't appear to be from England.

After reading the vehicle code, I've decided to go ahead and attach my GPS via suction cup in the lower left corner of the windshield. The GPS does obstruct my view of the windshield post. Seems to be a fantastic place for a GPS.

True there are soooo many cars in California with all kinds of illegal window "decorations".... stickers, drag racing gagues, massive stickers, black window tinting etc.

Not that this makes it ok... but I'll take my chances. It's safer than having the bean-bag mount go shooting off the dash into my lap!

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

they told me in trucking school that radar detectors are also illeagal

Last I checked on that (which has been some time ago) radar detectors, meaning the units themselves, are only illegal a couple states.

However, some are illegal when placed on the window due to similar laws I mentioned above in CA and MN regarding items on a windshield, but that is due to visibility and not radar detector laws.

I used to drive all over so I did research on it...now I really don't speed much and I personally feel like detectors are kind of a waste because most of the time it's too late react (not always).

At any rate...it doesn't seem like there are too many people from CA or MN that have seen this actually enforced. I just kept repeatedly seeing the disclaimers on a few sites when looking up prices and so my curiosity was peaked. Living this close to MN I know a few people from there and spoke to them and they had never heard of it being enforced ever.

they told me in trucking school that radar detectors are also illeagal

Last I checked on that (which has been some time ago) radar detectors, meaning the units themselves, are only illegal a couple states.

However, some are illegal when placed on the window due to similar laws I mentioned above in CA and MN regarding items on a windshield, but that is due to visibility and not radar detector laws.

I used to drive all over so I did research on it...now I really don't speed much and I personally feel like detectors are kind of a waste because most of the time it's too late react (not always).

At any rate...it doesn't seem like there are too many people from CA or MN that have seen this actually enforced. I just kept repeatedly seeing the disclaimers on a few sites when looking up prices and so my curiosity was peaked. Living this close to MN I know a few people from there and spoke to them and they had never heard of it being enforced ever.

My friend scott got one ticket for the detector and one for the visability at the same time so they seem to be illeagel here in CA. he stopped using it after that. If you ask me the cop was just mad at him cuz he was writen up for the detector, the visability, tinted windows, the cracked winshild, and driving in a car pool lane with no one else in the car. that was a very pricey day for him. i'm glad it was him and not me.

So what does this thread have to do with Geocaching?