Ebay idea: Tacky, crazy or kinda cool?

I was at the Original Stash site a few weeks ago. I payed proper homage, signed the logbook, then I spied a rock right next to the famous plaque. Just an ugly, fist-sized rock. What the heck... I guess I can take that home. I took pics of the rock and the plaque. took the rock and left.

Fast-forward to the other day: I was talking to a friend who heard that 'you can sell anything on Ebay!" I said without thinking: "Like a rock?"

DING!!!

Oh of all the crazy ideas...!

What if I did sell that rock on Ebay?

What impression would THAT give?

Tacky? Crazy? Fun? Cool?

Heck... it probably would be fun for someone who would never make it to Oregon... at least they have a genuine chunk of something from the original and first geocache site.

Should I go for it? Your thoughts please. Thanks.

I was at the Original Stash site a few weeks ago. I payed proper homage, signed the logbook, then I spied a rock right next to the famous plaque. Just an ugly, fist-sized rock. What the heck... I guess I can take that home. I took pics of the rock and the plaque. took the rock and left.

Fast-forward to the other day: I was talking to a friend who heard that 'you can sell anything on Ebay!" I said without thinking: "Like a rock?"

I guess my fear would be that the area around the stash plaque would suddenly be ravaged by folks wanting to sell their own little piece of history. I'd hate for the area to be plundered and ruined because of a few people's greed.

Happy Trails,

Candy

DING!!!

Oh of all the crazy ideas...!

What if I did sell that rock on Ebay?

What impression would THAT give?

Tacky? Crazy? Fun? Cool?

Heck... it probably would be fun for someone who would never make it to Oregon... at least they have a genuine chunk of something from the original and first geocache site.

lame

I guess my fear would be that the area around the stash plaque would suddenly be ravaged by folks wanting to sell their own little piece of history. I'd hate for the area to be plundered and ruined because of a few people's greed.

To be honest, that is what I was wondering myself. I am thinking it would be better to wait until I travel somewhere and trade it for a good dinner from another geocacher. More of saving it as a gift or barter could be a better idea. Hmmm...

well a while ago someone was selling on ebay what was supposed to be the "original can of beans" from the first geocache ever...it was being sold for 7500.00, no joke...i don't know if anyone ever bought it...but i have a can in my pantry that i could lie about too...lol

yes people will buy and sell ANYTHING on ebay...jay leno even has a segment about it.

When I was at the tribute plaque recently, I saw an ugly, olive drab can. What the heck... I guess I can take that home. I took pics of the ammo can and the plaque. took the ammo can and left.

Can I sell that on ebay too?

I'm no LNT fanatic, but what if everyone took something out of the natural area as a souvenir from the cache site? Oh wait, that's what trades items are for in the cache.

While a mildly amusing idea I think it wouldn't work out. For one if popular, people might start doing serious damage to the area for stuff to sell (perhaps even paint chips or cut a corner off the plaque etc). Another is, how do you verify it? Anyone want to buy a piece of the true cross???

Oh and Tomahawk, (getting a little a little off topic but,) there is a very interesting story about the O.C.B. True or not, who knows :rolleyes:

I will keep the rock for a special occasion. I can make a up a certificate with the pictures on it... and have it for an event cache or something.

Even crazier idea: I have a travel bug planned with the tentative name of "The Cheer Up Chris Project". It's for a friend 800 miles away who has been going through a hard time. The goal of this TB is to travel to Chris' city and find a geocacher who will set up an event cache, like a pizza party, or BBQ and invite Chris there so he can enjoy a positive time with positive people.

I bet it would be cool to reward that cacher with this rock... that way it would cheer up both Chris and the unknown cacher. :rolleyes: