Cache Owners Deleting Logs Of Finders

The cache owner promptly deleted his log and sent him an email telling him that the bad coords were intentional and part of the "fun".

That cache owner should be slapped around by a reviewer. What is fun about making someone search needlessly in the wrong area? I would have turned around and logged a SBA if that happened to me :blink:

Being that they still fell in the relatively new category, we simply sent them a nice long mentoring type email saying that people in the area were not going to like that, especially after paying to park in the area. It was bad enough that it was a playground hide. Cough. I believe that he took the hints to heart and changed the coords not too long afterwards.

1 - Why not encrypt spoiler logs?
Because they are still there for the seeing.
2 - How do you know when they're faking it?
Their names won't be on the paper log.
3 - What is "snarkly"?
I don't know, but 'snarky' means short-tempered or snappish.
My own question, is there anyway to tell when your log is deleted?
You get an email.

I own a grandfathered Virtual that requires the cacher to e-mail me the answers to 4 questions. About a year ago 2 cachers posted a find but didn't send the required e-mail. I sent them both a nice e-mail requesting the answers to the cache. No response. I waited a week or so and then deleted both finds.

I've had one of my DNF posts deleted. The cache owner checked up on his cache and found it MIA. He e-mailed me when he deleted my post saying that the cache was gone and that he "didn't want me to suffer a DNF post" (???) I e-mailed him back and told him there is no shame in posting a DNF and that it's part of the cache and my caching history. (I hope he won't delete any more DNF posts.)

I am asking because we have this happen in our area. A few people rule their caches with an iron fist. Log the cache their way or it stands a high chance of being deleted. Now new cachers in our area are starting to think this is the norm rather than the exception. I don't understand why anyone wants to control what another person says in their log or what pics they post.

Glad I don't live in your area. :wub:

There are three situations when I can understand the deletion of logs.

1) Spoilers (although relogging should be allowed

2) Fake logs

3) Overly snarky logs (although relogging should be allowed)

I've only ever deleted due to #2, but I can see doing it for the others.

1 - Why not encrypt spoiler logs?

2 - How do you know when they're faking it?

3 - What is "snarkly"?

My own question, is there anyway to tell when your log is deleted?

Loch Cache

You get an email from geocaching.com when the owner deletes your log. I get a few deleted, usually years after the fact.

Nudecacher

i have 3 caches but i had to remove 2 post on one cache. both posting said where the cache was. i email both partys and asked them to edit there post to not give away the hide. after not hearing from both i posted on the log that i removed them and why i did so. and when they both reposted it, i thanked them for doing the repost. i did all of this as sugested by people on the forums. even know i removed them i did email both people first and asked them to edit there post. everything was done nicely and there was no need to start a bunch of drama over it. i have never came across any other reason to remove some ones log off one of my caches. i don't think you should go around and remove peoples post for any reason you want other then if they spoil you're cache. i aslo think a kind email asking them to edit there log first and give them about a day to do so should be the way to handle it. if nothing is done then remove the log and post why you removed it so when they go back to repost it they can see why you removed it.

Like I always say, there's no comparing counts anyway. Your two hundred finds is not the same as my two hundred. With different difficulty, density and membership times there's no comparison, so any cheating you do only prevents you from knowing how many you really found. As for spoilers, I don't really get it, myself. I know everyone enjoys caching for different aspects, but I would only hide a cache well to keep it from muggles, not cachers. To me, the ideal cache is immediately found by the cacher and never found by the muggle. I like getting to the bush; I don't like digging through it. I guess I would only delete a log if it contained obscenity unfit for the general public, or if the cacher repeatedly posted angry comments, like some kind of hate-spammer. I haven't deleted one yet, thankfully. I have deleted one of my own postings after the cache owner emailed me that I said too much: I didn't know how I could have said too much, when I only posted a DNF. I figure, if I never found the thing, then how could I possibly give it away? I deleted the post anyway (didn't have a clue how to edit it to make it less "revealing" :wub: ), just to keep the cacher happy.

I've only deleted a couple, but they were both from people I knew well and in one way or another, revealed either the location or a vital piece of the puzzle that needed to be solved.

I almost removed this log for one of my caches, but only because I felt it was kindof rude, but then decided I didn't care that much.

I love how they said you'll have to try harder on your next hide! Sounds like they're the ones who need to try harder! I'd leave that log too, it gives me a chuckle.

I've only deleted a couple, but they were both from people I knew well and in one way or another, revealed either the location or a vital piece of the puzzle that needed to be solved.

I almost removed this log for one of my caches, but only because I felt it was kindof rude, but then decided I didn't care that much.

I'd leave it too. i have felt the same way on a few DNF's but i didn't blame the owner. i blame my self well all but "Tarzana tarpin" but i went there like 5 times and i got some bad clues to the cache from some one else, and i had me and 2 other people looking for it, and it was the owners falt that i could not find it (not really but i did go 5 times so i'll stick to that story) :D:(:D:DB):D

I had one deleted where the owner thought my info was discouraging to others....

BUT, I would have thought they should not delete it, and just post a note afterwards...

I just had a log deleted by an owner. I never knew this was an option. After 58 finds all over the world, this was the first one I would not recommend because it was in a location that felt "unsafe" to me. Should owners be deleting comments they do not like?

There are three situations when I can understand the deletion of logs.

1) Spoilers (although relogging should be allowed

2) Fake logs

3) Overly snarky logs (although relogging should be allowed)

I don't log any caches I find as a "Find", but only as a "Note". I have no public count (recently, I have found it to my advantage to log the caches I find on my own private records just so I know where I have been over the last few years). The first few years caching, all I would ever do is sign the log. Recently, I've had cache owners try to help me out by writing me and explaining how to have the find be counted. That's not too important to me, and I think that's the point.

People looking for caches do it for their own reasons and are willing to do or not to do things depending on why they are out there in the first place. I like hiking, kayaking, bike riding and photograhy. Geocaching adds to the possibilities for all of these hobbies. Others may like the bragging rights for the trophies they log (find counts)

People hiding their caches do so for their own reason. They also make up the rules for their caches. If I don't like a particular cache's rules, I never go looking for it. There's plenty more that do appeal to me, but even the ones I don't want to go out and find appeal to others-variety is a good thing and is nothing to complain about.

As you can tell by my post count, I mostly lurk. I happen to be putting off cleaning out a computer room today, and this happens to be my mode of procrastination! IF I could find a way to subvert my post counts I would do so, just because I would. :rolleyes:

BTW I have forgotten to sign the log book after writing in it and forgot to check with new people I have taken out caching who wrote in the log book for us all, to find out later no signiture was put in the log. It happens. If you as a cache owner decide to delete my log entry, more power to you!

btyak

I found a cache by accident the other day: It was a puzzle, and after failing to figure out the first way point, I stumbled on the final cache on my walk back to the car. Logged it as an encrypted note, not even as a found, since I didn't do the puzzle, and the owner deleted it within the day. :anicute: Made me feel pretty bad.

I found a cache by accident the other day: It was a puzzle, and after failing to figure out the first way point, I stumbled on the final cache on my walk back to the car. Logged it as an encrypted note, not even as a found, since I didn't do the puzzle, and the owner deleted it within the day. :P Made me feel pretty bad.

Why? You found the cache, log it as a find. So what if you didn't do the puzzle, you just got lucky.

Edit: (just thought about this again, and I think sbell111 is on the same track) When you log it, don't mention that you bumped into it on the way back to the car. That could be a spoiler that encourages others to bushwhack everywhere in hopes of "accidentally" stumbling onto the cache. Yes, I have done this :anicute:

Just say you found it by accident, and leave it at that.

Edited by GreyingJay

I found a cache by accident the other day: It was a puzzle, and after failing to figure out the first way point, I stumbled on the final cache on my walk back to the car. Logged it as an encrypted note, not even as a found, since I didn't do the puzzle, and the owner deleted it within the day. :anicute: Made me feel pretty bad.

In your note, did you mention that you found it on your way back to the car?

easy answer - NO

although I almost deleted the FTF log on my new micro rest stop cache, as it completely gave away the location. But then I thought - "it's supposed to be an easy micro for weary travelers on the road of life" So I left it. It's below the crease now, so, no worry's mate!

Had a guy log something like 40 of my caches in one day spanning an area of 250+ miles and several long hikes. He also logged 20 or so caches the same day a few hundreds miles to the east of here. All were back dated by exactly 1 year. I was suspicious and emailed the guy but he never responded. Went out and checked 5 of the caches and found no signiture in the physical log so I deleted them all. He never complained. Only time I ever felt a need to cross-check.

:unsure:

There has been similar problems in the area where I live. (This also relates to the thread about Sock Puppet Accounts by Konnarock Kid and Marge which is currently an open forum topic.) I apologize up front for the long post (and you can see that I seldom post in the forums and seldom read them either), but some cachers have responded in the other thread that this issue doesn't make sense and that all of the information hasn't been posted for everyone to read. The larger issue here is not the sock puppet account, but the appropriate or inappropriate actions of deleting bogus logs for cachers who have been warned over and over again.

In our area a local cacher became disgruntled at not being invited to a 'private' dinner some cachers planned and attended so he decided to create a team of relatively newbie cachers to create chaos. He discovered the dinner group had met without him after he found logs of the folks in attendance at a night cache. The reason he wasn't invited to the dinner had everything to do with his inability to get along well with others in the first place--he had a long history of confrontations and ugly discussions with both cachers and reviewers. During one of his times of dissent, he archived every cache he had and claimed it was due to the 'childish behavior of another cacher' who lived in NC. He has sent outraged emails to the individuals who attended the dinner and to the local forum on Yahoo, where he described himself as a 'pitbull who wouldn't let issues like his being omitted from the dinner group drop--he would go down fighting'.

His team consisted of at most five team members, but usually they only logged as a group of four. They did much armchair caching during their reign of false logs. They recruited one poor female who thought this was a fun sport and enjoyed the 'finds' but she has since admittedly (in a note on a cache she hadn't found - Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog) only found 50 caches--and says that at one time the team leader had logged finds for her. Her account had logged almost 1,000 finds in 30 days.

The 'tip off' was when the team logged finds spanning a distance of approximately 200 miles all in one day to the tune of 170+ caches. When the local cachers saw the 'find' logs pouring in, they got in touch with each other and started comparing notes and cache logs. There would be signatures on park 'n grabs, but no logs on caches a little out of the way. Cache owners who had not been active in several months and had large numbers of caches had ALL of their hiking/distance/quick caches logged--yet none had been visited or had signatures. This was another tactic used by the team captain who directed all the others as to what they should log. The team used sticker logs and one member of the team was even seen here and there in his truck stickering cache logs. When confronted, like at Ashtonview, single team members would say the rest of the team was 'down the road' having something to eat, somewhere else in another car, etc.

When cache owners started questioning the lack of signature on logs, their caches started disappearing. Cache owners went out in groups, checked on caches, and then replaced caches. We had many missing, many moved, some removed with notes posted on cache pages that management of a business or local land owners had asked that the caches be removed and that they were calling police. We felt that this was an attempt to get caches archived by reviewers. In ever instance of these notes, the property owners gave permission or in the case of business managers, they never talked to the cachers at all and knew nothing about the confrontations which supposed happened.

It has been work to clean up the mess. Some cachers split off and created a new message group since the 'team captain' controlled the original group and the posts made to it--anything not to his liking was deleted yet he allowed the team members to bully, accuse, and post profanities directed at others. Eventually the team captain found his way to the first place position in his state with all of his bogus numbers, team caching practices of one to a car stickering caches for 4-5, and armchair caching. He has continued to issue threats privately--but not through gc.com. He loves the drama!

His boyfriend had a case of guilt and wanted to wipe the slate clean.

Now comes the quandary--what to do with the bogus logs, the real logs (since not all members were ever at all the caches) and where do we go from here. Two of the team members have posted notes on some caches they didn't find and have deleted their logs themselves, but with so many posted logs in 30 days time, they admittedly don't remember all they actually found. At the end of June, they made their last known 'armchair run' which covered NC, SC, GA, and TN--all in one day. Some notification has been made there too. The few logs which have been deleted were 'recovered' by the cacher on a past event page as 'attended' notes--deceptively place 5 cache entries down from the top with dates from last year. Descriptions of caches and logs are incorrect as well.

I already know there will be lots of opinions on this, but I would welcome the discussion. The latest issue now involves the team captain gathering up all the jeeps in the area he could find in caches (going out to caches he has already logged and NOT discovering the Jeeps, but grabbing them and physically removing them from the containers and holding onto them. Those jeeps which are left in our area will head into caches this week--but will they be able to go anywhere or will they find their way into one person's hands like the other 5?

On a positive note--we have replaced all of our caches for now, we do have a wonderful group of folks in the area who truly do enjoy each other's company, and we are going to continue having fun with the sport! If anything this chaos has enabled the group to become even more close! :blink:

We definitely are not asking for TPTB to help with this situation due to their not being the log police. I totally understand where their position lies. But there are obligations we as individual cachers may have to take to attempt to safeguard the direction in which this fun sport wanders in our area--

let the discussions begin...not like they haven't already though! :)

Wow, vatechnoteacher, that's quite a mess.

If it were me, I would probably just delete all their logs from all my caches. Forget trying to determine which of them were legitimately logged or not. They entered this willingly, they were accomplices to that geojerk, I would have no problem telling them ALL to go take a hike.

It probably wouldn't make things any better, though. :)

The only "logs" I've deleted from my caches is where someone leaves a "found it" log and then right after writes a note because they forgot to drop a bug when they wrote the "found it."

I'll delete the note to prevent needless clutter.

I've been guilty of doing the same thing myslef when logging caches, but I delete my own note as soon as I finish posting it.

I did encrypt one persons log temporarily because it gave away too much about the cache, but after I asked them to they edited out the spoilers and I decrypted the log.

AR_kayaker

Wow, vatechnoteacher, that's quite a mess.

If it were me, I would probably just delete all their logs from all my caches. Forget trying to determine which of them were legitimately logged or not. They entered this willingly, they were accomplices to that geojerk, I would have no problem telling them ALL to go take a hike.

It probably wouldn't make things any better, though. :D

Don't see how things could get worse unless the step is made into doing something truly illegal in the 'real' vs. the geocaching world.

I appreciate your response-- :)

It is the owners prerogative (duty?) to delete logs that are bogus.

This is right in the section of the geocache listing guidelines on Cache Maintenance:

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

It is phrased as a command, not a suggestion, and is part of the listing guidelines acknowledged by all cache hiders when they submit a cache. Quote this text when questioned about deleting a log, and say that you're just doing what the guidelines require you to do. :)

Oh, I've never deleted a log, and I *do* verify logbooks against online posts. Thankfully it is not an issue where I live.

Now comes the quandary--what to do with the bogus logs, the real logs (since not all members were ever at all the caches) and where do we go from here?

It's your cache, your call. Personally, I wouldn't delete them. In doing so, you are following the guidelines as interpreted, but you're also feeding a lot of energy to an already saturated negative situation. This is the kind of attention jerks like this live for, and by giving it to him, you're feeding a bloated ego. My advice? Do the geohippy thing and let it go.

Peace!

... I wish cheating were the only problem for a geocheat is only cheating himself. It is a little like playing a round of golf alone and not counting every other stroke. The only person being fooled is yourself. :lol:

I think many will disagree.

Imagine a website that lists all the different golf courses and lets individual uses post their experiences. A while back, a local golf course closed down. The land is supposedly being converted to a historic park. Imagine that a cheater posts a great round at that closed course. Someone could easily see that log and assume that the course is open. That person might drive some distance to play a round at the historic course only to find that the course is gone. The honest player was definitely affected by the cheater.

Great snakes. That is a far out example to prove the assumption wrong. Unless you are in a completion with the kind of jerk we have here, you are still are only cheating yourself. The caches exist, its the logs that don't! :tired:

... I wish cheating were the only problem for a geocheat is only cheating himself. It is a little like playing a round of golf alone and not counting every other stroke. The only person being fooled is yourself. :blink:

Imagine a website that lists all the different golf courses and lets individual uses post their experiences. A while back, a local golf course closed down. The land is supposedly being converted to a historic park. Imagine that a cheater posts a great round at that closed course. Someone could easily see that log and assume that the course is open. That person might drive some distance to play a round at the historic course only to find that the course is gone. The honest player was definitely affected by the cheater.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Great snakes. That is a far out example to prove the assumption wrong. Unless you are in a completion with the kind of jerk we have here, you are still are only cheating yourself. The caches exist, its the logs that don't! :tired:

Let me preface by saying that I have great sympathy for your situation and I am glad to see it being discussed here. Thank you for being conscientious.

I am posting to provide another example of how cheaters can affect others, not just themselves. It happened yesterday. One of my urban microcaches has had some "issues" with staying in its hiding place. (I refuse to deface public property by using superglue or other permanent attachment methods, and the duct tape I've been using hasn't worked.) After repairs earlier in the summer, there was a string of DNF's in late July and the first two weeks of August. I said to myself, "Self, it's time to walk a half mile at lunchtime and check on that cache." But then, on August 19th, there was a "found it" log by a geocacher who was "just passing through town." Yay! No need for that maintenance trip! A few days later, a local cacher goes to find the cache and comes up empty. Seeing that DNF, I checked on the cache last evening. It's missing. I'm pretty sure it's been missing since the first DNF's in July, as it is not that hard to find if you're a geocacher. But because of what I now strongly suspect to be a faked find, I postponed my maintenance trip, and that last DNF was a direct result of that. I feel badly about not getting out sooner to check on my cache.

... I wish cheating were the only problem for a geocheat is only cheating himself. It is a little like playing a round of golf alone and not counting every other stroke. The only person being fooled is yourself. :blink:

The proper way to ficticiously log the cache is to use a cache with valid "found it" logs, and pre-date your finds to before the other finds! Better yet, log archived caches and pre-date them, then nobody can audit your online log against the physical log. :tired:

And many others will agree. Freedom of thought is a beautiful thing. As a cacher, I know there is a risk of wasted fuel/time/effort, every time I search for a cache. If I read the logs and see 100 complimentary "Found It" logs preceding my hunt, that's no guarantee the cache will be there when I arrive. Likewise, if I see a string of DNF's, that doesn't guarantee the cache will be missing when I arrive. Every time I fire up my 60CSx, I accept the risk that I might not find anything at the end of my hunt.

Some goober posting a phony find on a cache with multiple DNF's will not impact me any more than I allow. Therefor, the ultimate responsibility for driving several hours, hiking several miles and searching till I give up is mine, not the goobers. Remember this little tidbit from the Groundspeak Disclaimer page?

Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache. That clearly lays the burden squarely in my lap, not in the lap of the goober who falsified a log just to get a smiley.

This should not be interpreted as any kind of defense for bogus logs, rather, it's a dispute of accountability. To this day I can't understand the logic behind logging a find for a cache I haven't personally visited, but I certainly won't ostracize others for playing the game that way until there are rules against such behavior. In reading his posts, I think it's fair to say that Jeremy is quite well versed in the English language. If it had been his intention to create rules, I doubt very much that he would've called them guidelines.

Post script: I've never wasted a single penny looking for a cache, since to me, the primary joy is in the hunt. Doing something I enjoy is never a waste.

The proper way to ficticiously log the cache is to use a cache with valid "found it" logs, and pre-date your finds to before the other finds! Better yet, log archived caches and pre-date them, then nobody can audit your online log against the physical log. <_<

If you look at this archived (and now locked) event cache page which I referred to in my earlier post, you will see that this cacher KNOWS the proper way to ficticiously log a cache with "attended" logs--and understands how to both predate the log, and make sure they all drop down (out of the radar) enough to 'hide' from the front!

:laughing:

These additional bogus 'attended' logs were added a full 14 months after the event was held. The 'giveaway' to others was the time date stamp on an uploaded picture from Aug. 25, 2006! The same time frame as when the finds on caches were deleted.

So I guess if you REALLY want to TRY to be the master of hiding your ficticious logs (or recover logs which have been deleted for ANY reason from a cache page)--this is even better. Who goes back and checks out the event caches? Especially when the lister/owner of the event page is the one logging dozens of attended notes?

Can You SAY it is all about the NUMBERS and being sure to have the highest number of finds in a state--whether we've really found them all or not?

No. Number are just a byproduct of the game. Whether my "find" count says 5 or 5000 makes little difference to me.

Clan Riffster--my apologies.

I was implying that it is all about the numbers for this particular cacher--not cachers in general.

I am so NOT about the numbers that I deleted all of my finds from this cacher's pages (and others in this area are also doing the same it seems).

I lost a couple of days worth of numbers in doing so, but it isn't about the numbers for me either.

It was a good feeling for me personally to remove my name as far as possible from this person's name/cache pages/events.

Everyone who I cached with when finding those caches knows I was there and I know I was there--it ain't about the numbers. :D

I haven't actually logged a single find yet, still waiting for my GPS to arrive, but live a few miles from that cache. It is high on my list of caches to find first. I think the fact that you didn't "try harder" makes it so much more appealing. I'm actually going to bring my brother-in-law along for that hunt because I think he would really enjoy the way you set things up. As far as the log goes, I would have left it. It says far more about the hunter than it does about you.

I can't believe the maturity level of folks who log bogus finds. Why should the numbers mean so much, it isn't like anyone is paying a bonus!

I got into caching for the fun and excercise. Bogus finds will hardly help me walk off last night's dessert, much less take up time and effort for the sake of a "big number".

Oh, wait!!! New thought!! Perhaps the big numbers represent an IQ they will never possess. Yeah, that has to be it! :D

clip... At the end of June, they made their last known 'armchair run' which covered NC, SC, GA, and TN--all in one day. ...clip

Yea, cudlecub and Gaits claimed to have visited 18 caches here in N. Ga on the 12th. The downfall was that they claimed to have visited a 4/5 cache in addition to the other 17. We knew that they could not have physically done them all and started to compare notes and logs. He even claimed to have done my cache 'Surface Concavity' as his milestone 3,200th cache. Of course, this is BS and I even emailed and asked him to remove reference to it. He did remove the log, but not the reference on his profile page. Beyond the initial email response from him blaming everything on Gaits, my emails have gone unanswered. To date 15 of the 18 bogus claims have been deleted.

At least Gaits fessed up and apologized to me via email, and is trying to gain some lost credibility in the geocaching community. I usually let this kinda stuff go, but his arrogance just rubbed me the wrong way.

Oh well, his bogus, lofty numbers mean nothing to anyone except himself. Then again... he would think he is something 'special' even without the numbers. So sad ... :unsure:

At least Gaits fessed up and apologized to me via email, and is trying to gain some lost credibility in the geocaching community. I usually let this kinda stuff go, but his arrogance just rubbed me the wrong way.

Oh well, his bogus, lofty numbers mean nothing to anyone except himself. Then again... he would think he is something 'special' even without the numbers. So sad ...

Maybe since we all know who this unnamed cacher probably is (even though he has not been mentioned by name) we could do an Internet search for him. Who knows, he might really be somebody special!!!

:P

He might hold the Guiness World Book of Records record for most caches found while sitting at home behind his computer.

Oh well, his bogus, lofty numbers mean nothing to anyone except himself. Then again... he would think he is something 'special' even without the numbers. So sad ... :laughing:

Think I screwed that last post reply up. I'm sorry, new here and still learning the ropes.