Cache Owners Deleting Logs Of Finders

Granted, I maintain all of ONE cache in my area. But this question goes out to all owners.

I've been reading (mostly lurking) a lot of comments here at GS concerning ettiquette. Geojerks, fake finds, et al bring out out many strong feelings. But it seems some cache owners compare written logs to the on-line ones. And delete those on-line ones without a corresponding written log. How common is this? It never crossed my mind to compare logs. I can't imagine deleting any on-line log unless its profanity laden or contains someone's personal information.

My question is how closely do cache owners monitor logs? Am I the only owner that has too much else going on in his life to worry about such things? Is your 'score' (or anyone else's for that matter) really that important? I get the impression that for some, the cache's log history is the crux on which the world's sole existence rests upon.

There was one poster that gleefully remarked how he (or she?) had deleted several logs in one week because of no written ones, suspicion of a fake find, improper cache re-placement and some other reasons I don't recall. Perhaps the thrill of being a small scale geocache god?

This gives me the impression that that owner is a 43 year old loser living in his mother's basement who only gets out to check on caches. Am I being too cynical or is log deletion far more common than I realize?

I've only got one cache (so far), but I've already deleted a log! However, I have extenuating circumstances. The one I deleted was a DNF where the finder complained that my cache took him onto school grounds. I've modified the cache so that this isn't necessary anymore, and therefore the log wasn't relavant anymore. I didn't want that log "scaring off" future finders when it didn't apply.

Under normal circumstances, I don't plan on deleting logs. DNFs are important in that they help me make sure I've got my cache labled (terrain and difficulty) correctly. If I get a lot of DNFs, then I probably need to bump up the numbers... I also should probably check to make sure the cache hasn't been muggled.

As for "fake finds", my first question is how do I know they were fake and that the person didn't just forget to sign the log? I've very nearly done this before. Or perhaps the pen ran out of ink or was frozen? Heck, even if it was a total fake, what harm does it do me? They're the ones who were so insecure they felt it necessary to post a find to stroke their own ego.

The one I deleted was a DNF where the finder complained that my cache took him onto school grounds. I've modified the cache so that this isn't necessary anymore, and therefore the log wasn't relavant anymore.

His DNF log was relevant when he posted it, so it should have stayed in place.

I disagree. This log said that he was going to try and find the cache, but then didn't do it because he doesn't do caches that involved playgrounds. From the tone of his log, he never even tried to find it. Just read the discription of the cache, found out it involved playgrounds, and logged the DNF... seemed almost more like it was a warning to others.

Because the description and the areas a finder needs to go have changed, the log doesn't serve it's purpose anymore.

I disagree. This log said that he was going to try and find the cache, but then didn't do it because he doesn't do caches that involved playgrounds. From the tone of his log, he never even tried to find it. Just read the discription of the cache, found out it involved playgrounds, and logged the DNF... seemed almost more like it was a warning to others.

Because the description and the areas a finder needs to go have changed, the log doesn't serve it's purpose anymore.

I agree. If he didn't even try to find the cache, he shouldn't have logged a DNF. I have no problem with the owner then deleting the bogus log.

I've never had to delete a found it log because I've never caught someone logging phony finds. If I did, I would absolutely delete the find. The rest of the finders earned that find. I owe it to them to weed out the pretenders.

I think phony finds, profanity or blatant spoilers would be the only legit reason for deleting logs. I don't look forward to deleting logs, I wouldn't gloat about it, but I would not hesitate to do it.

I did delete a "discovered" log on a TB from someone who apparently saw the tracking number on a photo of it. The logger was in CA and the TB was in Maine and never saw or touched the TB. Sorry Charlie, you have to touch my TBs to log them.

BTW, I'm a 48 year old male who moved out of his parent's basement 28 years ago and I get out a lot more than the average person.

I have deleted one log, because the finder posted two finds by mistake. I e-mailed to let him know first. Since he didn't delete it on his own, I deleted it for him after waiting for a few months, and he thanked me.

I'm waiting to delete another log, because the finder logged the wrong cache. I e-mailed him first, of course - waiting for him to do it himself, but if he doesn't, I'll do it for him.

I let stand notes and DNFs posted by finders who post them to warn others of their dislike of the location.

This log said that he was going to try and find the cache, but then didn't do it because he doesn't do caches that involved playgrounds. From the tone of his log, he never even tried to find it. Just read the discription of the cache, found out it involved playgrounds, and logged the DNF... seemed almost more like it was a warning to others.

I read the phrase in your first log (all I had to go on at that point): "took him onto school grounds" to mean that it...well, took him onto school grounds as he attempted to find the cache. I figured since he attempted to find the cache and did not find it, that the DNF log should stay.

From your second log we learn that the cacher, "doesn't do caches that involved playgrounds..." and that the tone of his log imples he never even tried to find it.

You could have followed up with a clear mention of how and why you modified the cache, which is probably what I would have done in an effort to strengthen the position of not placing caches on school grounds.

With this situation, when you boil it down, though, it's pretty much the same either way. It all pays the same, and the upshot is that the cache was improved and that's always a good thing.

I try to hand out log deletion notices as a very last resort, and only after a good faith effort to resolve the issue privately has failed.

NOTE TO SELF: Replace logsheet on my cache by the high school track.

I have never had a faked find to delete that I know of. I once had a peson ask if he/she could log a find on a missing cache of mine because they found where it was. I said "no."

Other than deleting fake finds, I'm not really a fan of log deletion. Dnfs, notes etc are part of the cache history whether they are positive or negative. The only thing of that sort I might delete would be a spoiler to the cache location on a puzzle cache. But I haven't had that happen either.

Cache Owners Deleting Logs Of Finders, How many have you deleted?

102 placed caches, 96 active. Logs deleted zero.

I have however, just received an email telling me that one of the "arm chair cachers" whom I won't name here posted a log on a cache of mine in January. He 'traveled' through Florida then. IF I get to the cache and find no signature (as I would expect), that's a log I'll delete.

I may get there shortly too, there's a C.I.T.O in the area soon.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I have hidden about 180 and I don't often read the written logs.........I do read all logs via email.

I've had folks re -log one or two to get rid of spoilers.

As far as folks logging caches they don't visit, that is so pathetic it won't get much comment from me other than it speaks of character issues deeper than just cheating at a game.

I have a question....I just had to start a new acount. Only had 42 finds so far but wanted to change my login name and such so had everything transfered over other than my finds which i had to relog manually which means now i have new logs under my new name but what i signed was with my old name. So might someone delete my logs that i just redid. I used the same dates with the same text but now it's just my new login name.

Only logs I ever delete are 'bug drop' logs on event pages. Mostly its just to keep the cache pages neat and tidy (it doesn't actually remove the fact that the bug was dropped). Haven't had to do this much though since the discovered log came out.

As far as comparing to the paper log, never done, probably never will. Only time I'll delete a find is if I am positive the person didn't find the cache, and I have to be pretty certain to be sure (i.e. they say in their log that they didn't find the cache, but are logging it anyways)

I have a question....I just had to start a new acount. Only had 42 finds so far but wanted to change my login name and such so had everything transfered over other than my finds which i had to relog manually which means now i have new logs under my new name but what i signed was with my old name. So might someone delete my logs that i just redid. I used the same dates with the same text but now it's just my new login name.

Some may delete them. You will decrease the chance though if you mention what you are doing in the logs. Say something like "Logging under new account, logbook was signed under xxxxx account".

Some may delete them. You will decrease the chance though if you mention what you are doing in the logs. Say something like "Logging under new account, logbook was signed under xxxxx account".

That makes sense, wish i would have thought of that before! LOL..guess i can always add that on just in case.

I had one deleted where the owner thought my info was discouraging to others. I thought the cache was in an electrical box that was private property and stated that I would not go in to private property and take a chance of getting electrocuted.

They took offense that I would suggest they would put something out on private proterty and that it might be of danger to cachers. So they deleted my log. We worked it out later and all is good.

BUT, I would have thought they should not delete it, and just post a note afterwards saying that I was not in the right place. If anything, it would encourage other cachers to stay away from private property or the electrical items....

It seems when people make assumptions about the "tone" of a post, things go very wrong. A simple e-mail or two with an optimistic expectation usually solves things rather well.

I had one of my posts deleted after visiting "a new park in the area" - it wasn't a park in the traditional sense, it was a half acre wasteland of dead trees next to a drainage basin. After posting that this wasn't a "kid friendly or dog friendly" area and that my dog nearly strangled herself on a branch, my DNF was immediately deleted. After a 6 mile roundtrip walk to this so-called "park," I wasn't in the most complimentary of moods. The lady that placed the cache defended it by saying the city declares this area a park. It is hardly that and I avoided anymore of her placements.

I have about 40 active caches and do not check to see if logs on line match logs in the book / log sheet. If a geocacher wants to cheat, they only are cheating themself, not me or any others. My focus is on the e-logs to make certain there are no problems with wet log books, missing container, etc.

I just deleted a log because the attached pix had absolutely nothing to do with the cache. It was pix of a TB everywhere except my cache. The person re-logged without the pix which was just fine.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but why do you care what pic they post with their log. It's their log. As long as it doesn't have a spoiler that would affect you, or post something obecene that would affect both you and be against GC guidelines, then why do you care?

I am asking because we have this happen in our area. A few people rule their caches with an iron fist. Log the cache their way or it stands a high chance of being deleted. Now new cachers in our area are starting to think this is the norm rather than the exception. I don't understand why anyone wants to control what another person says in their log or what pics they post. It's their words and thoughts, not the owners. I don't agree with everyone's opinion in their posts on my caches, but that's their view and they are entitled to it. I would never delete it for something so trivial.

I had one of my DNFs Deleted by a cacher owner, because it made his son cry. He and his son hid a cache in the bushes of a "park and Ride." The only problem is that they overlooked all the feces from all the vagrants, drug addicts, etc.

When I told the truth about my experience with my daughter, he took offence and deleted my log, after archiving the cache. Now he has a "sanitized," and archived cache.

I have deleted on log on one of my 83 caches. This was a cacher who logged two finds, and failed to delete one after I emailed him. I got into a "friendly debate" with a new cacher, because I noticed that he didn't physically log one of my caches. After emailing back and forth, he admitted that he forgot a pen, but he did describe the container. He still deleted all of his finds, in "protest."

I just deleted a log because the attached pix had absolutely nothing to do with the cache. It was pix of a TB everywhere except my cache. The person re-logged without the pix which was just fine.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but why do you care what pic they post with their log. It's their log. As long as it doesn't have a spoiler that would affect you, or post something obecene that would affect both you and be against GC guidelines, then why do you care?

I am asking because we have this happen in our area. A few people rule their caches with an iron fist. Log the cache their way or it stands a high chance of being deleted. Now new cachers in our area are starting to think this is the norm rather than the exception. I don't understand why anyone wants to control what another person says in their log or what pics they post. It's their words and thoughts, not the owners. I don't agree with everyone's opinion in their posts on my caches, but that's their view and they are entitled to it. I would never delete it for something so trivial.

Actually the pix stayed in my cache's gallery for about a year - I just got sick of looking at them. I think there's 10 pix in my cache's gallery and there were 15, total, with these completely unrelated pix of TBs at other locations. Why would someone post pix of TB's at OTHER locations in the log of the cache where they're dropping them off? If the pix stayed under the person's posting that would be fine. However, as the geocache page is programmed, pix are thrown into a gallery so they are not just limited to the posting of the person uploading it. Savvy?

Okay, so call me anal retentive! Sign the log and get a smiley! Tell me, in the log, that you had the cache in your paws, but didn't sign the log, I will tell you that you have not found the cache. Your option to change to a note, or have me delete it. Sorry that you did not like the muggles. Perhaps, I'm a stickler. And many will argue this point. There's an odd one I need to check the cache log for. Someone just logged finding the cache last October. Probably a 'team split up', or 'new account'.

I have had one log deleted. I posted that the coordinates were 170 feet off. (And other loggers had commented that he coords were badly off.) Cache owner took exception to that. So, I relogged SLTNLN.

I had an SBA deleted on a cache that had not been found in six months. Three DNFs after mine. Cache owner claimed that he checked, and it was still there. Then he archived it.

I would never delete a DNF. They are usually quite amusing! I will ask for a change for a log that gives away too much information.

Which all brings me to a very sore point. I have a webcam cache. It's a spectacular place! Cell phones do not work reliably here. (There is a pay phone nearby.) The weather can be terrible! This is all noted on the cache page. It's rated a 3* for difficulty. Maybe I should up it to 5*? "A photo of you, taken by the webcam, and posted here is required to log this cache." That seems fairly straightforward to me. I don't want a picture of the webcam. I don't want a picture of you nearby. It's a webcam, for goodness sakes! A picture of you taken by the webcam, and posted here is required to log this cache. It's not a virtual. It's a webcam cache! So far, about 30% of the loggers did not fulfill that requirement. Yes, I have deleted a number of logs for this one. And I've gotten some very nasty responses. Sometimes, I'm sorry that I put it out. And, then I see the photos of the cachers who actually have taken the time and effort to log this cache, and a broad grin appears on my face!

The one I deleted was a DNF where the finder complained that my cache took him onto school grounds. I've modified the cache so that this isn't necessary anymore, and therefore the log wasn't relavant anymore.

His DNF log was relevant when he posted it, so it should have stayed in place.

I agree, my DNFs are a badge of honor for me. if I found all the ones i was looking for then I would not be trying anything out of my comfort zone. I even made a webpage for all of my DNFs. Do me a favor, Don't ever delete a DNF.

Yes I have deleted logs, just did one the other day as it contained several spoilers and the logger did not edit it after being contacted. :rolleyes:

I also deleted repeated logs by a cacher who refused to follow the requirements for logging the cache. It was a seed cache that required the finder to place a micro cache before logging the cache. He refused so I deleted. :ph34r:

I would not delete a DNF, even if it the facts were stated wrong. I have added a note stating the facts as I see them. :laughing:

I have never found a electronic log without a paper log, but have not really looked. I have found lots of paper logs without electronic logs. :wub:

I do and will delete a log if it contains clues to a cache I have placed and the cache log says, "no clues allowed." I still allow the finder to come back and log their find though.

There may be a very good reason, such as location, type of area, etc., why I ask that no clues be placed in the comments. It may also be to keep a cache from being muggled due to its location.

It seems some cache owners compare written logs to the on-line ones. And delete those on-line ones without a corresponding written log.

If I ever become this anal, I hope my friends will shoot me in the foot to wake me up. :blink:

I am newbie and I already have my first cache and I agree. This is A fun game and I like it. Why would you want to take the fun away from us by taking our finds? If yo delete them you are anal. Remember it is just a game not like poker.

I also deleted repeated logs by a cacher who refused to follow the requirements for logging the cache. It was a seed cache that required the finder to place a micro cache before logging the cache. He refused so I deleted.

He found the cache which is a find and should be allowed to log it as such. Making some rule that he has to hide a cache that he doesn't want to hide to "earn" a smiley only goes to supporting the spew that already exists. Noone should ever be forced into hiding a cache under any circumstances.

I thought the idea of this was to enable people to find things we place while showing them cool areas and such. Making them jump through hoops to log/record where they have been seems counterproductive and rather controlling. An option to hide a cache is one thing, but a steadfast rule is just unreal. What happens when a family new to caching finds it and lives out of state? What a great example you are setting to them. I know I wouldn't have continued had I thought "Geez. Am I going to have to hide one for everyone I find?". How does it make you feel knowing that some poor soul found this cache, but you have used your power of DELETE to not allow him to record it online because he doesn't want to play by your rules?

Haven't deleted any although sometimes they seem suspicious and I might check to see if they actually did sign the log just for curiosity's sake. You would have to really get on my bad side for me to delete a log, but you never know. For the most part I figure it's just a game and if that's the way they want to play it okay. After all they are only cheating themselves.

It seems some cache owners compare written logs to the on-line ones. And delete those on-line ones without a corresponding written log.

If I ever become this anal, I hope my friends will shoot me in the foot to wake me up. :blink:

I am newbie and I already have my first cache and I agree. This is A fun game and I like it. Why would you want to take the fun away from us by taking our finds? If yo delete them you are anal. Remember it is just a game not like poker.

I'm not sure how deleting finds from cheaters is taking away anybody's fun. I feel I owe it to the people who made the effort to find my cache to delete logs from pretenders (removing phony logs is also listed as a responsibility of the cache owner on this website).

I've mentioned this so many times before that I'm starting to sound like a broken MP3, but logging phony finds is not harmless fun. It it can (and has) provide misleading information about the status of the cache and cause others to waste their time looking for it.

Edited by briansnat

Almost deleted a log. A find popped up on one of my mountaintop caches that read, "Quick and easy find. TNLNSL." When I checked the finder's profile to determine who this hero was, it turned out to be a UK account with finds in English parks on the same day. Turns out the cacher was logging a whole batch of finds and made an error entering the GC code. He discovered the mistake and delete the log before I could get to it.

I have never checked the written logs or deleted any on-line logs. However, if I suspected a bogus find, I would check it out and delete if necessary.

I guess it's just the principle. The peak logs used by mtn climbers mean something to the climbers. Maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic, but a fake log (even on-line) devalues the experience, IMO.

One cache placed in the past and a new one just placed.

I have never deleted a log, but I would delete a false find. (Actually quite a few cachers and one non-cacher found it and didn't log it online.)

I've never had a log that could be read as even slightly disparaging, but I hope my skin is thick enough to leave those.

I am asking because we have this happen in our area. A few people rule their caches with an iron fist. Log the cache their way or it stands a high chance of being deleted. Now new cachers in our area are starting to think this is the norm rather than the exception. I don't understand why anyone wants to control what another person says in their log or what pics they post.

Glad I don't live in your area. :blink:

There are three situations when I can understand the deletion of logs.

1) Spoilers (although relogging should be allowed

2) Fake logs

3) Overly snarky logs (although relogging should be allowed)

I've only ever deleted due to #2, but I can see doing it for the others.

1 - Why not encrypt spoiler logs?

2 - How do you know when they're faking it?

3 - What is "snarkly"?

My own question, is there anyway to tell when your log is deleted?

Loch Cache

I don't typically compare the paper logbook to the online logs and I'm not about to start. I really could care less if someone logs a smiley when they shouldn't have.....it's just not that important to me.

I have deleted a total of 1 log since I started hiding caches. That was a case of a spoiler to a cache. After deleting it, I asked the cacher to repost a find without the spoiler. His repost was simply "TNLNSL". Good enough for me.

I had someone log a DNF on my cache but it was a mistake. They had intended to log it for a different cache and hadn't actually looked for my cache at all. The log mentioned things that had nothing to do with my cache so I contacted the person and found out what had happened. I deleted the log to save them the minor embarrasment of having logged the wrong cache.

Other than that I've never felt the need to mess with logs that folks leave.

I haven't deleted a log yet...came close once....long story.

My husband had a log deleted once....we met up at a park where they charge for parking and went looking for a new cache. The cache was hidden on a piece of playground equipment and the coords were significantly off. Luckily, we had kids with us, so we had a serious advantage when searching. We were successful in our FTF hunt, and when he posted his log, he kindly provided updated coords to save the child-defficient cachers some time. The cache owner promptly deleted his log and sent him an email telling him that the bad coords were intentional and part of the "fun". His replacement log was much shorter.

I delete them all the time.

Most of my hides are in cemeteries and some folks just can't follow the rules on the cache page :blink: . "Logs indicating night caching will be deleted without notice" typically in BIG, BOLD, RED letters!

Believe it or not, I have had logs mentioning using flashlights, 2:00am finds, police harassing them at the cache site at night, etc. The good news is that it typically does not happen again with the same cacher :huh: .

Other than that, I have not had to delete many.

Edited by Rupert2

Had a guy log something like 40 of my caches in one day spanning an area of 250+ miles and several long hikes. He also logged 20 or so caches the same day a few hundreds miles to the east of here. All were back dated by exactly 1 year. I was suspicious and emailed the guy but he never responded. Went out and checked 5 of the caches and found no signiture in the physical log so I deleted them all. He never complained. Only time I ever felt a need to cross-check.