And that is fun why?

jtkauderer

I was talking up geocaching to some friends the other day.

Ths story started when I was describing how I proposed at a cache, and people wanted to know what exactly I was talking about.

First of all, I must start out by saying that I am new to this. I have 3 finds so far. I am by no means new to hiking though. And what is geocaching other than hiking with an endpoint? So, the journey is not new to me, but the destination is.

Most people, while possibly not interested, were at least intrigued. Two people, also hikers, are looking forward to finding their first cache now.

A few others had less supportive comments though.

One was

"Why would you want to do that /*enter expletive for solid waste, the old number 2 here*/ ?

(in relation to caching in general)

and the other was

"And this is fun why?"

(in relation to tracking a travel bug)

Now, I have gotten these comments for years.

Why would I want to hike in a rainstorm, or showshoe, or ski?

Why would I kayak in the dark?

Who would want to carry a canoe over their head on a half-mile portage?

Why hike 3 hours to see a waterfall when you can drive up to Niagara Falls?

Each time I get asked such a question, I bite my tongue and go to my happy place, getting soaked by waves crashing over the gunwales while on the lake watching the sunset, breaking trail in several feet of new snow, narrowly missing stepping on an orange newt in the rain and taking its picture, and sometimes, logging on to see how far my dog tag has moved today.

In my head, my answer to their question is another question:

"Why is it fun sitting around all day doing nothing but eating oreos and asking why other things are fun?"

[nothing against oreos, I like oreos, but the most recent question was asked by a guy eating oreos.]

Anyone else out there have "And that is fun, why?" stories?

I find it's a pretty even 50/50 mix of responses when I tell people about geocaching. It's either "Oh COOL! Can you take me sometime?" or "... and WHY would anyone want to do this?"

Unfortunately my last girlfriend fell into the latter category ;) She was quite bemused the one day I was early for a dinner date because I left work earlier to go after a FTF in the neighborhood... but it was always that "well, if it's something that makes you happy" smile...

My sister in law did this once... Just asked why we would do it. I've also heard others ask about this, as well as other things.

Cause it's enjoyable to us. That's the purpose of a hobby, isn't it? Why do you play Video Games? Why do you watch Soap Operas? Why do you go to ball games? It's enjoyable.

My usual answer, re: Geocaching, is:

"Well, it gets me out of the house for a little bit. It's exciting to me to try and find where others have hid things, sometimes in the middle fo the city. I get to see new and interesting things, find parks that I didn't know where there. My kids enjoy seeing the toys and trinkets, and are SO proud of themselves when they find the cache."

I've faced the same for many years. The idea of skiing in 20 degree below weather, or in the rain, or backpacking for 4 days, or showshoeing during a snowstorm, or spending a week in a canoe, or hiking when the mercury hits -5 (f) and now, geocaching all have elicited a simple "Why?" response.

Being male I don't get this reaction as often as my wife does. I think a lot of males understand, even if they don't do these things. Sometimes I think many of them probably wish they did.

My wife on the other hand constantly gets these reactions from her female co-workers and friends. The incredulous, "You went WHAT on your wedding anniversary?" after we chose to celebrate it with a backpacking trip. The strange looks she gets when she recounts our mid January backpacking trip, or our 8 mile hike on a 95 degree day, or our afternoon of geocaching in torrential rains.

Even funnier she says are the reactions she gets when she excitedly mentions the hiking poles I got her for her birthday, or the GPS I gave her for Valentine's day, or hydration backpack I gave her for Christmas, or the new hiking socks I surprised her with, etc....

Even those who seem listen with interest to her stories of backpacking trips suddenly react in horror when when my wife answers the inevitable, "So where do you go to the bathroom?" (a small hole dug in the ground), and "How do you shower?" (you don't).

(Please note: I'm not saying all females are like this. I know many women do enjoy the outdoors and have no problem roughing it, but there are many whose idea of "roughing it" is spending a night in a Motel 6 and whose idea of bad weather is any day that its too humid for their hair to stay put.).

Anyway, I've sat alone (or with my wife or a few friends) on a Catskill or Adirondack peak, drinking in the awesome view and had my thoughts drift to the multitudes sitting in traffic on their way to the beach; where they will lay on a blanket in the hot sun, shoulder to shoulder with hundreds of thousands of sweaty people blasting their boom boxes. And I say to myself, "And that is fun, why?"

To each his own I guess.

Edited by briansnat

I find it's a pretty even 50/50 mix of responses when I tell people about geocaching. It's either "Oh COOL! Can you take me sometime?" or "... and WHY would anyone want to do this?"

Yes, I'd second this. Either their eyes light up immediately, or they'll never 'get' it.

There may be a third category of people who get it, but are afraid to say so because it doesn't sound like something the cool kids would be into. I think "not wanting to be uncool" is one of the most dangerous free-floating human factors in modern history.

When asked such questions, I usually counter with, "Well, we all have our hobbies." and leave it at that. Most people I know, however, think geocaching is a cool thing.

I have some friends whose main hobby is watching whatever sporting event is on TV while guzzling beer. I have nothing against that sort of thing and will participate occasionally, but it's not really for me. THEY'RE the ones who will scoff at my hobby of geocaching which will cause me to become hostile.

"At least I'm outside and enjoying the world. Your main goal in life seems to be making sure the couch doesn't escape."

No one has come up with a clever retort to that. ;)

"At least I'm outside and enjoying the world. Your main goal in life seems to be making sure the couch doesn't escape."

No one has come up with a clever retort to that. ;)

Off the top of my head, my responce would be:

Nay... we've got it chained down to prevent escape. We're only sitting on it to add insult to injury..."

There may be a third category of people who get it, but are afraid to say so because it doesn't sound like something the cool kids would be into. I think "not wanting to be uncool" is one of the most dangerous free-floating human factors in modern history.

I have perfect example of this. I have a co worker that is an avid outdoorsmans. He hikes, caves, kyaks, ect ect. He even had a GPS he used to mark caves ect. But was only midely interested when I first brough up geocaching a year or so ago.

A couple of weeks ago he mentions going to the beach with his family so I again say somthing about caching. Ok he says I will try it. I look through caches in the area he is going, find one that was done by a cacher who is well know for his great caches. Print out the page and gave it to him.

He takes his mom, dad, sister, brother in law and their kids. To make a long story short. He now caches, he is selective and only goes for the ones that apeal to him, long hikes ect. but his dad has turned into a caching machine and does it all the time along with his sister who uses it to get the kids out and away from the boob tube.

So it took a year of my caching stories and a great cache placement but now I have given all these people a new hobby that they each enjoy in ther own way.

The moral of the story, yesterdays "you do what" can be tomorow's future cachers.

At first I thought it was because people didn't fully get Geocaching, then I figured out it was the 'going outside' part they had trouble understanding.

Now when friends and relatives ask about my Geocaching experiences they really just want to know if I’ve been to a nice park or nature preserve. I say nothing about the act of Geocaching itself, they aren’t interested.

Amazingly, I haven't encountered that much. When I have, I don't really care. My answer to the "why" question is something along the lines of that I like the outdoors and find it fun. Then I leave it at that.

Mine is close to yours. Our reply is "We like the outdoors and this is another way to enjoy it." We already bike, hike, ski (both downhill and cross country), are planning on buying kayaks this fall when they go on sale, and motorcycling.

No one has come up with a clever retort to that. :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head, my responce would be:

Nay... we've got it chained down to prevent escape. We're only sitting on it to add insult to injury..."

Bwahahaha!!! :ph34r: VERY good!

The best I've gotten so far is, "I go with my strengths." Bah. :laughing:

people who know me don't ask "why", they know they'll get a long answer they don't want to hear & i will bug them until they go with me(gets me to shut up & leave them alone). when we get to where we're going they see my side of things. people who don't know me that well get the long answer & the bugging to go with me, eventually they learn.

this doesn't apply to only caching. went thru this with nascar in the 70's, 80's & 90's.

I always like the questions "And what do you get?" and "What do you win?"

I actually don't want too many more poeple to join -- like like that nobody knows about it. Without them, we wouldn't have any muggles!!!

They have an article about Geocaching in Horizon Air magazine that is on their assocoated airlines. they point out that soon it will be in the normal marketplace but not as a game.

If you wanted to buy a particuar item, you'd punch that in to your cell/gps, and it would give you directions to the nearest store stocking that item. You's essentially be geocaching for anything youd buy -- right down to the individual item! OR maybe you'd say you want that and a person in the store would geocache to find you when delivering that item!!

A friend of mine with the last name of Friend responded to my telling him about geocaching, "That sounds like a no brainer." He wasn’t interested. Oh well. That was an impetus to begin making caches that DO require brainwork!

I have many times been told that “I have too much time on my hands" or that “I'm easily entertained.”

Those responses seem to come from those people who haven’t a creative neuron in their cranium and complain about anyone that is successful in whatever they do as being an "overachiever."

I teach five subjects in science every day so no, I don’t have a lot of time on my hands. I do however trade time on the couch for time in my garage building another cache or working out the details of another puzzler and so on. I consider it a blessing when I find ways to be easily entertained by what other people either overlook or step on.

Edited by Iowa Tom

Yes, I'd second this. Either their eyes light up immediately, or they'll never 'get' it.

I see this on a daily basis in my classroom. I explain geocaching every year, and I'll get one or two kids who just out and out, exclaim, "That is so cool!", but you can see others with the look, but they're afraid to admit it because of the fear of being "uncool." That is tragically sad imo.

OR maybe you'd say you want that and a person in the store would geocache to find you when delivering that item!!

That would only really be the case if you were dressed all in cammo, or in a fake tree costume...

But it wouldn't be approved, because it's a moving cache. :laughing:

I usually just reverse the question, "Sitting on your backside, drinking beer watching a bunch of people chase a ball. And how is this fun?"

But then, I have never been a "Team" player in that regard. Best I can tell team sports teaches one person to be a Prima Dona and teaches everybody else how to suck up to them.

I usually just reverse the question, "Sitting on your backside, drinking beer watching a bunch of people chase a ball. And how is this fun?"

Being devoid of the "sports gene," I completely understand your rebuttal.

(Please note: I'm not saying all females are like this. I know many women do enjoy the outdoors and have no problem roughing it, but there are many whose idea of "roughing it" is spending a night in a Motel 6 and whose idea of bad weather is any day that its too humid for their hair to stay put.).

What a great description, and as always, a great reply.

Now for me, I get the most negative comments from those who are "too busy" to go outdoors, or are happy to live a "sedentary lifestyle." My friends who are avid hikers, or hunters, are mostly interested in the sport. The number one question I get is, "when you find the cache, what is inside?"

I showed one coworker my GPS, cell phone, PDA, and a Compass once. He said I was a propellar headed dork, with more electronics than NASA.

Just to think, before geocaching, I never owned a GPS, a PDA, two different TOPO programs, a Camelbak, and trekking poles. I also didn't have the unique experiences either.

My boss will happily sit on her butt and watch baseball for hours but thinks I'm a werido for going out caching. Watching somebody else play a game is accepted as "normal" but doing something active like caching is considered "weird". I'll never understand people.

Last summer, my wife was bugging me to take up a hobby that I would stick with and that I could do on my own. I found geocaching by chance and have been hooked ever since. However, it didn't take long before my wife started rolling her eyes every time I mentioned it.

She loves to hike, but we'd always seem to be doing the same trails over and over again. Then I started looking for nice hikes in areas with caches. She'd be excited about the hike out, but when we got to the area of the cache she'd sit on a rock or log and wait for me to find it. If it took more than 10 minutes, she'd start fussing about and I'd get the idea that it was time to move on or go back home.

She says she's glad that I found something I like, but whenever I mention heading out her body language (eyes rolling, deep sighs and tone of voice) say "You're spending too much time on this" and "Why in the world would you want to do this".

The really funny thing is that her mom came for a visit and was hooked when I first began telling her about it. Since then, she's gotten my father-in-law hooked, my brother-in-law and his wife and two kids are hooked and she's already planning caching trips for a cruise we're all taking in November.

Now when my mother-in-law calls its usually to talk to me about caching and only talks to my wife afterwards. Again, my wfie rolls her eyes and sighs.

Anyone else I tallk to about it, really likes the idea and I don't often get the "Why?" question. One guy at work bought a GPSr on whim to go hiking. He mentioned that he didn't really know what he was going to do with it, so I told him about GCing. Now he's hooked.

So it seems the only time I get the "Why?" is from my wife :blink:

I've never really felt the need to justify it, but some standard responses I have are:

"It gives me an added element of fun when out hiking, biking"

"My kids love it and it gives us time together outdoors where we can talk and explore"

"I could tell you why I cache, but then I'd have to kill you"

"It's a form of exploration and discovery which combines my love of nature and technology"

"I've heard that Bill Gates put $2,000,000 in some random caches across the world"

-- so it depends on the audience.

My wife was thinking it was a little weird at first. She loves to be outdoors and loves to hike. She's a Colorado native and has spent most of her life on the trails here because he father was hiker as well. For a while it was hard to get her out to go hiking cause she had the "Been there done that" attitude. Once we found our first cache on a trail she's hiked dozens of times she was hooked. Now we pick an area, usually one I've never been to cause I'm a transplant, and then look for caches in that area.

My wife was also on the 'other side of the fence' when I discovered geocaching. Before we met, she was the city mouse and I was the country mouse. Now it's difficult to keep her out of the woods. She proudly displays her geomarks (. . .and this scar is from falling off the rocks at such and such. . .) and completely disregards my cautions about long pants, etc. She's been on 4 and 5 star terrains and refused to give up even though she has two bad knees. I'm quite proud of her.

When I am asked "And that is fun why?" I simply explain that geocaching is one more activity that my wife and I can enjoy together. Any activity we can do as a couple is fun in my book.

She's been on 4 and 5 star terrains and refused to give up even though she has two bad knees. I'm quite proud of her.

Get her some light weight treking poles from wally world. They really help with the bad knees and back. I've played basketball for about 40 years now so I know about bad knees. The poles really help even on level ground.

I'm sort of in the same boat with my soon-to-be-wife (wooh). She just kinda rolls her eyes and is getting tired of me talking about it. Yeah, I get the 'as long as it makes you happy' thing :blink:

However, for pretty much anyone else that asks why, I say "It gives me a destination to go to when biking, instead of just biking in a straight line until I get bored stupid and have to bike back. Then I prattle on that it's like a giant scavanger hunt. Works for me :}

Edited by Kabuthunk

:(-->

QUOTE(Jay B @ Aug 23 2006, 02:41 PM) 2422959[/snapback]

She's been on 4 and 5 star terrains and refused to give up even though she has two bad knees. I'm quite proud of her.

Get her some light weight treking poles from wally world. They really help with the bad knees and back. I've played basketball for about 40 years now so I know about bad knees. The poles really help even on level ground.

I found poles at Gander Mountain for her. They are a tremendous benefit and it's doubtful that she would have endured any of the more difficult hikes without them. Here's a LINK attesting to my wife's tenacity on a 5 star cache. It didn't really require special equipment, but it was quite a difficult climb.