Possible Improvement to Pocket Queries

teamschutt

Hello,

I have a suggestion on how to improve pocket queries.

I live in an area that does not have an enormous amount of available caches. So when I create a pocket query, I normally set it to include all types of caches (traditional, multi, virtual, etc). That way, there is a better chance that there will be a cache in the area that I will be traveling.

The problem is that when I get to a location, all I have on my GPS is the six letters of the cache identification and the first part of the description. I have no way of knowing what type of cache it is!

My suggestion is to add a letter in front of the six letter identification that would let us know what type of cache it is. For example - "T-GC567C" That way I could tell that it was a traditional cache.

I have had many times that I have looked for a cache expecting to find it at the posted coordinates only to find that it was the first stage of a multi. It would be great to have multis look like this, "M-GC6HYF"

Or maybe the first word of the description could include what type of cache it is.

Would anyone else find this helpful?

...all types of caches (traditional, multi, virtual, etc)...The problem is that when I get to a location, all I have on my GPS is the six letters of the cache identification and the first part of the description. I have no way of knowing what type of cache it is!

What kind of GPS do you have - only because mine shows the same icons as GC.com, ghostie for virtual, tellow and red for multi, green for traditional...the only ones I have difficulty with are the types of traditional, micro, small, etc...And that is why I got an older used Palm off eBay - so I can reference the size and past logs for help...

Hello,

I have a suggestion on how to improve pocket queries.

I live in an area that does not have an enormous amount of available caches. So when I create a pocket query, I normally set it to include all types of caches (traditional, multi, virtual, etc). That way, there is a better chance that there will be a cache in the area that I will be traveling.

The problem is that when I get to a location, all I have on my GPS is the six letters of the cache identification and the first part of the description. I have no way of knowing what type of cache it is!

My suggestion is to add a letter in front of the six letter identification that would let us know what type of cache it is. For example - "T-GC567C" That way I could tell that it was a traditional cache.

I have had many times that I have looked for a cache expecting to find it at the posted coordinates only to find that it was the first stage of a multi. It would be great to have multis look like this, "M-GC6HYF"

Or maybe the first word of the description could include what type of cache it is.

Would anyone else find this helpful?

I have to vote against this for a variety of reasons the main one being the length of the resultant ID. We are quickly coming up to the point where ID's are going ot be expanding into another digit. Adding a 2-character prefix will push that ID beyond the size limit of many devices out there.

On the other hand, there are other ways to deal with this. Probably as many as there are cachers. My method is to use GSAK to reformat the ID when it goes into my gizmo and my PDA (cachemate). Since I only search for gc.com caches and since I know all gc.com caches start with GC, those 1st 2 characters are meaningless to me. I use GSAK to replace those characters with a 1-character code indicating the type of cache and a 1-character code indicating its size.

So a Traditional micro named GCA1B2 ends up looking like TMA1B2 and a Mult Large-size GC3C4D ends up looking like ML3C4D.

Hi

I hope you are using GSAK to filter and transfer your waypoints. It's a great program! AND, it will allow you to do exactly what you are saying here that you are trying to do. You can set up GSAK to actually assign different icons, if you want to, to represent multis, micros, etc. when they are loaded to your unit. PM me or a friend local to you for more specific information about how to do it.

Happy caching!

No, there is not a Mac version of GSAK as far as I know. To be sure go to gsak.net for the full info on this sofware.

To change the characters in GSAK,use the xport dialogs. Forinstance, when you "Export to GPS", a window pops up. On th eupper right there is a sub-box called "Waypoint Name". The first box has a heading that says, "You can build the waypoint name using tags". I don't remember what the default for that box is, but I use:

%typ1%con1%drop2

This says replace the Wyapoint ID with:

%typ1 = 1 character code for the cache type

%con1 = 1 character code fpr the container size

%drop2 = the Waypoint ID (code) minus the 1st 2 character

There are LOTS of other things you can do. See the GSAK help for more details.