Shipping estimate for these items: August 21, 2006

Delivery estimate: August 23, 2006 - August 25, 2006

1 "Garmin GPSMap 60CSx Handheld GPS Navigator"Electronics; $395.41

1 "SanDisk 1 GB MicroSD Card ( SDSDQ-1024-A10M )"Electronics; $44.99

Today I check the tracking on my order, and here's what it says

Items shipping soon:

Delivery estimate: August 30, 2006 - September 4, 2006

1 of: Garmin GPSMap 60CSx Handheld GPS Navigator

1 of: SanDisk 1 GB MicroSD Card ( SDSDQ-1024-A10M )

I tried to cancel the order, but it wouldn't let me. Last time I ever order anything from Amazon.com

Sorry to hear your problem. I truly sympathize as when I order new equipment, I very much look forward to getting it (much like a 7-year-old looks forward to Christmas). That would be worse than somebody peeing in my corn flakes!

I have used Amazon to purchase several MapSource products, as well as DVDs, books and other merchandise and have never had a problem. In fact, I typically take advantage of their free shipping which usually means waiting a little longer for the items (their Web site says up to nine days), but they usually arrive far ahead of estimated delivery time.

Not sure what the problem is with your order...

You can have THEM call YOU (CLICK HERE? - you have to allow pop-ups for a special window to appear to input phone number).

Sorry to hear your problem. I truly sympathize as when I order new equipment, I very much look forward to getting it (much like a 7-year-old looks forward to Christmas). That would be worse than somebody peeing in my corn flakes!

I have used Amazon to purchase several MapSource products, as well as DVDs, books and other merchandise and have never had a problem. In fact, I typically take advantage of their free shipping which usually means waiting a little longer for the items (their Web site says up to nine days), but they usually arrive far ahead of estimated delivery time.

Not sure what the problem is with your order...

You can have THEM call YOU (CLICK HERE? - you have to allow pop-ups for a special window to appear to input phone number).

Neo Geo, you're right..LOL and thanks for the Click Here, I'll give that a try, it would be different if it was free shipping, but I paid extra for shipping so I could have it early.

Thanks again

Jim W

Edited by Jim W

I agree Amazon sucks and I only use it when the deal is awesome. The one good thing when they F up your order and you get a live person(from India) on the phone they usually through in free stuff.

My TIVO order was messed up because I tried to get $30 off with their CC application and ship to another address. Because they had to cancel my order to fix they gave me free 2nd day shipping. Was a sweet deal even though it took about 1 hour to fix.

Thanks to Neo Geo for the contact, I talked to Amazon.com, and they apologized for the delay, and would investigate the order and not charge me for shipping.

UPDATE: Latest email says:

Items shipped on August 22, 2006:

Delivery estimate: August 28, 2006 - September 4, 2006

So we'll see... ;)

Neo Geo, you're right..LOL and thanks for the Click Here, I'll give that a try, it would be different if it was free shipping, but I paid extra for shipping so I could have it early.

Thanks again

Jim W

People rarely realize that paying for expedited shipping is mostly a scam. If you pay extra for "immediate" shipping or "same day" shipping you usually get it shipped "immediately" after they get around to processing the order or "the same day" that they finally process the order -- NOT "immediately" or "the same day" that you PLACE the order.

It would be nice to know which warehouse they ship stuff from too. But that will never happen, as it would influence which shipping choice a customer uses. Here's why.

I ordered a CRT monitor from Amazon, so we're talking a big heavy box. I chose free shipping. The monitor was delivered 18 hours after I placed my order. So if I had ponied up for next-day or overnight, I wouldn't have received the monitor much sooner and would have been out a ton of money. I guess Amazon must have a warehouse or supplier near me.

If a customer knows they'll get an item the next day via free shipping, why would they pony up for next-day shipping?

Edited by geognerd

I don't think that amazon.com sucks at all. I order stuff from there all the time -- they're usually close to the lowest price; there may sometimes be a site with a lower price but I have no idea how their customer service is, so I'm sometimes hesitant to use them.

I've only ever had one problem with an amazon order, but it was easily resolved. (In fact, it's when a place makes a mistake that I have a better idea of whether they suck or not.) I had ordered City Select 7 from them last year, and I received CS 6 instead. One two-minute phone call cleared it up: they sent out a replacement by overnight mail; I had it the next day before I even had time send the wrong one back. (The overnight shipping for CS 7 and the return shipping for CS6 were both at no cost to me.)

The way they handled that situation has made me a happy amazon customer.

My 60CSx stopped working (power button) after about a week. I called Amazon and they shipped a replacement out immediately. I had one month to return the old one before they would have charged my CC. That was sweet because the replacement arrived before my vacation.

I will continue to buy from them.

Edited by Tharagleb

had a very similar experience w/ ordering an extra vehicle mount adapter (in fact looks very much like your order problems above). (and btw, I ordered my GPSr from them and had *no* trouble).

just keep hammering away at them at cust. service until they get it to you..they will update the shipping to overnight for free...

they showed 5 units in stock when I ordered, and then they could not ship it to me..said they were getting it from a supplier and I asked why then they show it in stock as shipping from amazon..never answered...

in any case, they will honor the order and give you free shipping..call them and fill in on the email survey that the problem is not resovled and it will get escalated to someone who will write you a very apologetic email but who can call the fulfillment center to try to put some heat on it.

I was hoping to take advantage of a loophole and cancel my order on the system but still have it fulfulled (yes, I was really mad at them), but that didn't take place (thought I still had a 'cancel' link even though the order had moved to the next status..systems out of sync, you know).

anyway, I've ordered plenty from them and this was the first bad experience, but boy was it frustrating!!

good luck - keep hammering away at them...

I've ordered many things through Amazon.com and had nothing but great experiences. Considering that they often don't stock these items and instead are a "front end" for other retailers, sometimes things like delivery dates are beyond their control.

Still, I've usually found shipping times to be lightning fast (I've had stuff arrive the day after I ordered it) and their customer service to be excellent.

For instance I ordered a tent through Amazon. It actually came from a popular online outdoors retailer several days later. Turned out it was the wrong one, so I called Amazon and they ordered me the correct tent and the told me to return the other to the retailer, which we did. After our credit card was not credited for the return, we contacted the retailer who claimed they never received the return. Since it was sent using "delivery confirmation" we had proof they received the item, but still they denied receiving it and refused the refund. We contacted Amazon directly and they refunded our money promptly and said they would try to collect from the retailer.

You paid on the 18th your item was shipped on the 22nd 5 days process with 2 weekend days in there. Thats not that bad.

That's the third working day, and it wouldn't have shipped today if I hadn't called them.

The first Delivery estimate: August 23, 2006 - August 25, 2006 and after it ships I get this Delivery estimate: August 28, 2006 - September 4, 2006, and it said it was shipped from Amazon not another vendor.

I ordered my StreetPilot c320 from GPSNow.com and it was here the morning of the forth day after I ordered it, and that was standard shipping.

Like I said my last order to Amazon :laughing:

Edited by Jim W

Jim I can relate to your frustrations with Amazon. I recently ordered the same memory card as you did. When I palced the order they said it ws in stock. They only shipped it a week later (I still havent recevied it btw) which leads me to belevee they really didnt have it in stock when I ordered. I was also going to buy the 60csx GPS at the same time but my spider senses lead me to instead buy it from PCNation and I was very impressed at the 2 day delivery from PC Nation. I'll continue to use Amazon but I find that when I Froogle items you can often find a better deal than Amazoin and with free 3 day shipping.

Jim I can relate to your frustrations with Amazon. I recently ordered the same memory card as you did. When I palced the order they said it ws in stock. They only shipped it a week later (I still havent recevied it btw) which leads me to belevee they really didnt have it in stock when I ordered. I was also going to buy the 60csx GPS at the same time but my spider senses lead me to instead buy it from PCNation and I was very impressed at the 2 day delivery from PC Nation. I'll continue to use Amazon but I find that when I Froogle items you can often find a better deal than Amazoin and with free 3 day shipping.

dazdarren, wish I had of known about PC Nation, they would have gotten my money

Sure we all want our new toys quickly... ! Every once in a while, I'll order something from Amazon and the estimated ship date (yes, Amazon does label it as an "estimate") will change for one reason or another. If it was that critical, I'd go to my local dealer and buy one.

BTW, enjoy your new GPSr! I bought the same unit (through Amazon) and I absolutely love it!

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

Edited by Driver Carries Cache

Sure we all want our new toys quickly... ! Every once in a while, I'll order something from Amazon and the estimated ship date (yes, Amazon does label it as an "estimate") will change for one reason or another. If it was that critical, I'd go to my local dealer and buy one.

BTW, enjoy your new GPSr! I bought the same unit (through Amazon) and I absolutely love it!

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

I ordered a protective case for the 60csx from GPSNow on the 21st and it showed up this morning,

now that's what I call service

Never had a major problem with Amazon - have prime with free 2-day shipping and I think it's costing them money - I order everything - diapers, laundry detergent, pillows - and it all ships free with 2 day UPS shipping. Sorry to hear that others aren't as thrilled as I am with them. They will usually make it right and usually give you money back - I've gotten 75 of the 79 I paid for the prime membership back - and with only a few phone calls. Plus if the price goes down within thirty days, they refund the difference. I ordered my GPSR right after Christmas - I ordered it at about 4:30pm and received it the next morning at 9:30 - pretty good for a "gotta have it now" itch.

UPS, on the other hand, has a problem actually delivering packages to my door, preferring to leave it at the apartment complex office with no notice to me.

Summation? Everything sucks to somebody, sometime. Hope you find a more suitable dealer for you.

I generally like Amazon, but I had a similar experience. I had the "Prime" service (free 2nd day shipping) on a free trial for a few months, but canceled it when the free period expired. They also delayed my shipment of the 1GB memory card, and weren't going to ship it out for 5 days. I got them on the phone, complained about it, but they said that since I had requested the free shipping, they were waiting to "bundle" it with other outgoing items, and it still wouldn't go out for another 3 days.

However, less than 90 minutes after that call, I got a confirmation email saying that my shipment had been sent. My theory was that they were purposely delaying the shipment, in the hope that I'd want to pay for the "Prime" shipping service.

My experience with Amazon is that they tend to overshoot there estimated shipping dates quite a bit. In other words though it says it won't ship for 5 days and arrive for 10 it may come alot sooner. This is especially true for things coming through USPS which are not as trackable as UPS or Fed Ex. I guess they think you will be happier if it arrives BEFORE they say than AFTER.

I generally like Amazon, but I had a similar experience. I had the "Prime" service (free 2nd day shipping) on a free trial for a few months, but canceled it when the free period expired. They also delayed my shipment of the 1GB memory card, and weren't going to ship it out for 5 days. I got them on the phone, complained about it, but they said that since I had requested the free shipping, they were waiting to "bundle" it with other outgoing items, and it still wouldn't go out for another 3 days.

However, less than 90 minutes after that call, I got a confirmation email saying that my shipment had been sent. My theory was that they were purposely delaying the shipment, in the hope that I'd want to pay for the "Prime" shipping service.

I had a very similar issue with my GPS60 order, if I remember correctly. I ordered it with free shipping, and it was to be shipped out some outrageous time later of like a week after ordering. Remember, shipped out, not delivered. The estimate for delivery was like 10-11 days. I have shipped and received a lot of things, and pretty much no matter where in the nation you or the warehouse is, an order will get there in 5 days or less for ground shipping on a major carrier.

I emailed customer service about them intentionally delaying my order, and they upgraded my shipping to 2 day, and my GPSr was delivered a few short days later. I am pleased with the results, but I know Amazon can ship faster. We have had things arrive next day from them.

My 60CSx finally showed up today by UPS Poney Express, ordered it from Amazon on 8/18/06 and received it today 8/28/06....Talk about slow :lol:

Thats not all that bad considering 4 of those 10 days were on the weekend. So that makes it only 6 business days. Also consider that you placed the order on a Friday. Depending on the time of day you ordered it that would make it so it wasn't going to ship until Monday. I wouldn't consider 1 week all that slow.

I have ordered many things from Amazon.com and not had one bit of trouble.

The only thing I ever ordered from them was BOOKS!

In any event, Amazon may suck, but I"v had good experiences with both TIGERGps.com (2 orders) and GPSGeek.com (2 orders) !

Edited by WR8Y

I order a lot from Amazon (said that before), but I also try to buy locally when I can...and by locally I don't mean my local Wal-Mart. It's getting harder and harder to find good local shops, but if you're not in a hurry for something and somebody local can get it for you and prices are comparable, it's always best to go local. I've even told a local guy that I can get Item A at amazon for 200 bucks, can you order it and what would the price be. Sometimes they can do as well and sometimes they can't, but if it's just a few bucks difference, go with the local guy.

I have used Amazon many many times. I purchased my 60Cx from Amazon back in February.

IMHO, Amazon is a great retailer. Their prices are good, plus I get free shipping.

If they make a mistake they correct the mistake. Want to return something? You can return it, no questions asked, within 30 days of the purchase.

Did Amazon lower the price of an item you purchase within the past 30 day? No problem, Amazon will credit your CC the difference between the price you paid and the lower Amazon price.

Edited by Barrikady