So, where's the next Cache Machine?

Curious Joe

Travisl's original plan was to do Grays Harbor (Hoquiam, Aberdeen) in Fall 2006. It's not going to happen unless someone volunteers to take charge of it, though!

I would love to see this one happen.

As one that has put on a cache machine I can say that the hardest part is finding a place for the post CM dinner (which is actually the event.... one cannot post an event for the exclusive purpose of finding caches).

As many people as come to these events.. it's hard to find a restaurant that can handle our crowd.

The people from the Inland Empire were talking at the WSGA Campout about hosting a Spokane Machine in the January '07 time frame.

January may not be the best time to do a Spokane CM! Remember Snolympia? April or May on the other hand...

I've been in Spokane in April and they had icy roads, hail and icy rain. And it was pretty darn cold too. Brr.

And yes I am a WWW (warm weather wimp) and by warm I mean low 70s.

The people from the Inland Empire were talking at the WSGA Campout about hosting a Spokane Machine in the January '07 time frame.

January may not be the best time to do a Spokane CM! Remember Snolympia? April or May on the other hand...

Don't forget the Bellingham CM in January and the 3" of rain...

Aaaaw....but that was fun! :blink:

Don't forget the Bellingham CM in January and the 3" of rain...

That was fun. :wub:

Nudecacher

Any ideas on this one? Probably time for an Eastern WA one. October? I had heard rumors of Aberdeen, Whidbey, Olympia. Kinda hooked on these things.

stoopid noob question time. What is a cache machine? :wub:

I don't know if there is an official explanation, but you can get the gist from the Bellingham Cache Machine Event that is now archived. A cache machine is an organized event with a planned route and long list of caches that everyone participating attempts to do on the day of the event. The cache machine is extra fun because of the huge social component.

Nudecacher

I spent the last two days caching in the Grays Harbor area and it is wonderful there! Great density, great hides, and a great small-town feel. I am looking forward to going back and getting the caches we didn't have time to do.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if my communications are anything to go by, the local cachers are terrific people! :laughing:

Edited by Prying Pandora

Yes, we were talking about doing a Spokane Cache Machine next year, but probably April/May time. January time here in the Inland Empire is only for skiing, sleeping, and trying to find a way to get south!

We are still in the wee early planning stages (more like, can we really pull this off?), so absolutely no details or promises yet ...stay tuned!

Yes, we were talking about doing a Spokane Cache Machine next year, but probably April/May time. January time here in the Inland Empire is only for skiing, sleeping, and trying to find a way to get south!

We are still in the wee early planning stages (more like, can we really pull this off?), so absolutely no details or promises yet ...stay tuned!

Oops, sorry for the faulty memory...Thanks for the correction Lisa... :)

Yes, spring is probably better. :laughing:

Is there anyone local to Aberdeen / Hoquim that would like to do this? If someone would step forward, I'm sure that one or more of us that have setup a cache machine before would be willing to assist.

The main thing we would need a local to do is find a place for the PRE-CM dinner and a spot for the Cache Machine dinner.

Caching Cowles Clan has expressed interest in this! :laughing::unsure::)

I spent the last two days caching in the Grays Harbor area and it is wonderful there! Great density, great hides, and a great small-town feel. I am looking forward to going back and getting the caches we didn't have time to do.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if my communications are anything to go by, the local cachers are terrific people! :o

:lol: We used to have a cabin down south of Grayland, pre-caching, and I do miss going down there. We've been down a couple of times and did a little caching. It is a nice area.

Is there anyone local to Aberdeen / Hoquim that would like to do this? If someone would step forward, I'm sure that one or more of us that have setup a cache machine before would be willing to assist.

The main thing we would need a local to do is find a place for the PRE-CM dinner and a spot for the Cache Machine dinner.

Unless you go out towards Aberdeen I don't think you'll find anything big enough to host one of those and I have my doubts about Aberdeen as well.

There are a few restaurants locally that COULD host something of this nature... unfortunately they're all Mexican (same type of food for a couple of nights). There's nothing like a Dead Robin or... a chain of any sort.

This is not to say they're bad... because they're not... we're just not quite 'big time' down here.

The space is available if you know where to look.

-=-

michelle

There are a few restaurants locally that COULD host something of this nature... unfortunately they're all Mexican (same type of food for a couple of nights). There's nothing like a Dead Robin or... a chain of any sort.

This is not to say they're bad... because they're not... we're just not quite 'big time' down here.

The space is available if you know where to look.

-=-

michelle

We outgrew Dead Robins for CMs a long time ago, so no worries about that. Cheap food and plenty of it makes the best CM dinners, and Mexican food usually fits the bill perfectly. We did Mexican at both the Gig Harbor CM and the Wenatchee CM - yum!

We outgrew Dead Robins for CMs a long time ago, so no worries about that. Cheap food and plenty of it makes the best CM dinners, and Mexican food usually fits the bill perfectly. We did Mexican at both the Gig Harbor CM and the Wenatchee CM - yum!

My only point is that we have nothing of that ilk. There isn't anything 'chain' about this area except for the number of fast food restaurants between here and the beach. Any of the Mexican places locally should be able to cater to the needs of people attending a CM.

The other consideration, of course, is where to stay. Aside from the Guest House Inn, everything else is nothing short of a complete and total dive. There is a Microtel in Elma (20+ miles east of Aberdeen) and a whole mess of places to stay in Ocean Shores. Which, off-season, shouldn't be quite as spendy.

One consideration would be to start the CM (and the pre-CM dinner) in Ocean Shores and work your way into Aberdeen for the post-CM dinner. There is another Mexican restaurant (as well as the aforementioned pizza place) in OS that would suit.

michelle

Re: restaurants - I don't think "chain" is a factor at all in choosing a dinner spot. Capacity and receptiveness of the management are the key considerations. A family establishment would be just fine if they can accommodate us. Any cuisine works for me.

Re: hotels - the Barnabirdy(s) and I stayed at the Westwood Inn in Hoquiam, if I remember right, and that worked just fine. Inexpensive, but not a dive.

Short answer is yes.

The first rule of cache machines even before the You find it you put it back rule, is that if your cache is on the route and you don't want it to be let the organizer know and they will remove it. The second rule should be that if someone has requested that their caches not be on the 'Official' route then people should not go off-route to pick those caches up. IMHO

Short answer is yes.

The first rule of cache machines even before the You find it you put it back rule, is that if your cache is on the route and you don't want it to be let the organizer know and they will remove it. The second rule should be that if someone has requested that their caches not be on the 'Official' route then people should not go off-route to pick those caches up. IMHO

and how do i know that that a cache was removed at the request of the owner and i shouldn't go "off-route" to find it?

Short answer is yes.

and how do i know that that a cache was removed at the request of the owner and i shouldn't go "off-route" to find it?

In this particular case, it would be very obvious as to who wanted their caches excluded from the cache machine.

In this particular case, it would be very obvious as to who wanted their caches excluded from the cache machine.

Perhaps not... in the sample route I built last night only a couple if this persons caches would have been on it. Most of their caches are multi's or in places that would tend to not make them cache machine material.

I started to comment on that potentiality as well in my previous note, but deleted it... there are a lot of his caches that would be of the sorts you mentioned. The best hides down here are well off the beaten path... and usually aren't single-step finds.

It's also good to note (as you have) that there wouldn't be many to remove from the route. It also wouldn't be difficult to mention that he doesn't want his caches found by CM attendees, and I would hope everyone would honor that request.

michelle

Short answer is yes.

Well...the CM planner could make a polite request at the Pre-CM dinner or could post something on the page.

However in my personal opinion on the day after the CM any cache out there is free game.

Again, IMHO, if someone feels strongly enough about not wanting their caches found during the cache machine weekend then they shouldn't have a problem with that being stated on the event page. That would be the best place to get the info out, in addition to the Friday night dinner.

It could be as simple as: XXX has requested that all of his/her hides be excluded from the cache machine weekend. Please respect their wishes and save those for your next visit to the area.

Again, IMHO, if someone feels strongly enough about not wanting their caches found during the cache machine weekend then they shouldn't have a problem with that being stated on the event page. That would be the best place to get the info out, in addition to the Friday night dinner.

It could be as simple as: XXX has requested that all of his/her hides be excluded from the cache machine weekend. Please respect their wishes and save those for your next visit to the area.

I agree with TMG.

The concerns here are with eco-trampling of the cache location, log books being filled up, etc. Having seen some first hand destruction of cache machined cache areas, I gotta say, I don't really blame this particular cacher for not wanting his caches on the route. No, it doesn't ALWAYS happen this way, but if this is how he feels, then it is his prerogative to ask that his caches be excluded and as the nice cachers that we are, it would be, um, nice, if we were respectful of his wishes.

It only furthers the happy feelings we have about the game, right?

I agree with TMG.

The concerns here are with eco-trampling of the cache location, log books being filled up, etc. Having seen some first hand destruction of cache machined cache areas, I gotta say, I don't really blame this particular cacher for not wanting his caches on the route. No, it doesn't ALWAYS happen this way, but if this is how he feels, then it is his prerogative to ask that his caches be excluded and as the nice cachers that we are, it would be, um, nice, if we were respectful of his wishes.

Don't get me wrong I do agree and would respect the cache owner's wishes. If (s)he didn't want them done at all for the weekend and doesn't have a problem with that information being put out then we should respect their request since it is their cache and this is supposed to be about having fun right?

I agree with TMG.

I unfortunately didn't understand CM's very well, and wasn't thinking when the one went through Wenatchee. I had a cache that I should have requested not be on the list, and after the CM went through I had to archive it. :tired: I was so sad. It wasn't the CM's fault completely, but it was in a slightly sensitive area, and just having one or two people every so often was ok, but the mass volumes of people coming through upset the people who lived near the cache and I thought that it was just better to respect them and archive it. Oh, well, you live and learn.

Edited by Ambrosia

I agree with TMG.

I unfortunately didn't understand CM's very well, and wasn't thinking when the one went through Wenatchee. I had a cache that I should have requested not be on the list, and after the CM went through I had to archive it. :blink: I was so sad. It wasn't the CM's fault, but it was in a slighly sensitive area, and just having one or two people every so often was ok, but the mass volumes of people coming through upset the people who lived near the cache and I thought that it was just better to respect them and archive it. Oh, well, you live and learn.

Well the Wenatchee mob was a pretty unruly group, nothing but rabble-rousers & scofflaws. :tired:

Edited by Recdiver

I agree with TMG.

I unfortunately didn't understand CM's very well, and wasn't thinking when the one went through Wenatchee. I had a cache that I should have requested not be on the list, and after the CM went through I had to archive it. :blink: I was so sad. It wasn't the CM's fault, but it was in a slighly sensitive area, and just having one or two people every so often was ok, but the mass volumes of people coming through upset the people who lived near the cache and I thought that it was just better to respect them and archive it. Oh, well, you live and learn.

Well the Wenatchee mob was a pretty unruly group, nothing but rabble-rousers & scofflaws. :tired:

Yeah, I can't take you guys anywhere. ;)

what about down to the west port area? there is the surf and spray motel. i have stayed there a few times and it has always been clean. there are caches all the way down. do a button hook and end up in aberdeen or wherever

Any Grays Harbor Cache Machine would most likely include

Aberdeen, Hoquiam, Ocean Shores, and Westport.

Depending on the number of caches it might also include a loop up towards Moclips or possibly down to Raymond. I would love to see it go all the way down to Illwaco, but thats a bit far :angry: