Anyone there?

I have a good idea, but can't get a response. I would love to see in my weekly "new caches" newsletter, any geocaches that have been archived in my area. It is such a frowner to try to search for a cache that I have as a waypoint on my GPS'r, only to see it was archived just a few days ago. I have sent e-mails to locals, with no response. Wouldn't it be great to have this?? If this has already been a topic, please don't respond. I don't have the time to search through endless topics.

Oh, I forgot....please don't reply to the "paying member" thing. I would rather spend the money on gas for my boat. My 5 children all agree.

Too bad. The premium member features would do what you want and more.

Could you please explain how to get archived caches in a PQ?

Too bad. The premium member features would do what you want and more.

No one mentioned PQs except you, Wegge.

Team Misguided is referring to Notifications.

TEAM NICKELBACKERS, unless you are a premium member, I think the only thing you can do is re-check each caches page before you set off to find the cache ;)

Edited by MarcoXono

There is never a guarantee when you set out to find a cache, anyway. It may get muggled hours before you search for it. Yes, knowing it is archived prevents a wasted trip. I just check to see where we are going, and make sure the caches are available. I don't like relying completely on the downloads, anyway... I also like to have an idea of where we are going, and where to park.

Somewhat OT, sorry... we have a cache where I suggest where to park, yet every once in a while, someone warns fellow geocachers about the steep slope! If you park in the little park down the road where I suggest, and take the nice paved path, it is at the base of the slope. A very nice 1/2 mile walk on a paved trail. Of course, some people just go on the coordinates and try to zip out of the car when they get closest... parking on the side of the road, etc. Gee... this saves them maybe 1/4 of a mile? I'm talking about city parks..

Why "suggest where to park" ..... when we have these nice new features where you can add parking coordinates to the cache page. These get downloaded with the gpx file and come in as parking waypoints. I REALLY appreciate parking coordinates!!!!! ;) ImpalaBob

Yes, we do need to add parking coordinates to the cache page... forgot to do it at the time, and haven't gotten it done yet. They are handy.

Oh, I forgot....please don't reply to the "paying member" thing. I would rather spend the money on gas for my boat. My 5 children all agree.

So you would like to have a certain feature. You know its available for paying members, but you want it to made free so you don't have to shell out that whopping 8 cents a day?

You can't get archived caches in PQ's

But you can check the box for caches that are NOT active. I always check the boxs for caches that are active and that I haven't found when I do a PQ. At least that way I'm not out looking for caches that have issues or may become archived.

Edited by v-hunter

You could try sending an email to contact@geocaching.com.

I've tried that with no response.

Typically if you have a suggestion for changes or enhancements to the website or any of it's features the prefered forum to post that in would be the Geocaching.com Website Forum not this one.

As for my origional reply to the OP's question: I was basically thinking that with the whole range of features available to PM's he could do what he wanted. Instant Notify & PQ's being the two main tools.

It's worth skipping that one latte a month.

Dear Groundspeak,

Thanks for the wonderful website that you maintain on a daily basis to provided me with a great innovative way to enjoy the great outdoors. I really appreciate your weekly newsletter that you provided me at no cost as well. I was wondering if you could add more information that you provide paying members to your FREE weekly newsletter. Could you please add archived caches in addition to newly listed caches? While you’re at it please include caches that were temporally disabled or enabled. I’m sure that it won’t be long tell I would want that included. I don’t want to start paying for this service since it would greatly interfere with my lifestyle I already have laid out. Once again thanks for all you do for free, but please add more.

Sincerely,

X

Edited by PCFrog

Dear Groundspeak,

Thanks for the wonderful website that you maintain on a daily basis to provided me with a great innovative way to enjoy the great outdoors. I really appreciate your weekly newsletter that you provided me at no cost as well. I was wondering if you could add more information that you provide paying members to your FREE weekly newsletter. Could you please add archived caches in addition to newly listed caches? While you’re at it please include caches that were temporally disabled or enabled. I’m sure that it won’t be long tell I would want that included. I don’t want to start paying for this service since it would greatly interfere with my lifestyle I already have laid out. Once again thanks for all you do for free, but please add more.

Sincerely,

X

I think I will use this. Free is my favorite 4 letter "F" word. I also get Free internet access. Oh, but my kids lunches are not free. Neither is clothing. And the heating bill. Should I go on????

Sorry, we were all watching "Treasure Hunters".

You can have instant notifications on archived caches, but I think you have to be a paying member.

$3.00 a month or $30.00 a year......... If that's too much for all you get then you can just suffer without getting what you want. Get real. It's CHEAP and will do all you are asking for and much more. Wow, you can get ONE extra gallon of gas a month. Awesome........

Helpful responses would be nice. Useless comments don't help.

This is what I needed. Thanks to all of you who had USEFUL comments. As for the rest of you... :laughing:

I tried to provide a civil response. I'm not sure I recieved a civil reply. Unfortunate.

I agree that you did not get a civil response. That along with his my "5 kids and gas for my boat" ticked me off.

Somehow I think that if he could afford a boat not to mention spawning 5 kids he could fit the $3 a month into his budget. Lets not forget that he is the only one that I guess heats and cloths his kids.

I tried to provide a civil response. I'm not sure I recieved a civil reply. Unfortunate.

Your response was one of the USEFUL ones. Thank you. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. As for some of the others...if you seen my bank account, you would realize......oh, why waste my breath.

Well it's not so much a matter of your bank account here. We all know there are people out there who have to watch their income closely and take advantage of free services whenever they can. The thing here is that you want the free service, but not only that, you want this free service tailored to fit your wants and needs!

Easy now, folks! Not everyone is as consumed with Geocaching as most of us forum-goers are. $30 will only fit in your budget if it is one of your primary hobbies-else it is a waste. If his family's favorite hobby is boating and he only occasionally GCs, his boat-gas statement is perfectly reasonable.

Now, demanding features for free that one is too cheap to fork over the $ is another story. I understand, though. As a enlisted military family, we have become a cheapskate out of necessity. You have to pick and choose where your money is spent. I have become a connoisseur of freeware/open source software.

tink, tink

**Note to self - read preceding post so as no to look like an idiot when writing a similar post...

Edited by NotNutts

The real issue here is information about archived caches. From what I understand Groundspeak is very wary about giving out information on archived caches because:

1) They are archived for a reason

2) Land owners/managers (in some cases) have asked for archived caches to be completely removed from the web site so that nobody goes there again.

3) TPTB wants you to come back to the website to get fresh information each time you go caching. (As opposed to maintaining an off-line database). This insures you don't go hungting archived/inactive caches.

Again, this is my understanding of the situation and I may be a little off.