European use of GPS

phantom

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I did a search and did not find what I was looking for. I have not been here in such a long, long time, nor have I used my GPS in a long time. My son-in-law is in the Air Force stationed in Germany. He and my daughter recently made an early Christmas request for a GPS. Now forgive me if this sounds stupid, but, do all GPS units work all over the world? Do you just have to change the map datum? I guess what I really want to know is can a GPS bought here in the good ole USA work in Germany? Or will I need to download additional information? I can tell my son-in-law all about using it here where we live, but when they go back to Germany, I don't have a clue as to what to tell them. Thanks.

............................. do all GPS units work all over the world? Do you just have to change the map datum? I guess what I really want to know is can a GPS bought here in the good ole USA work in Germany?

It is the same old satallites beaming the same signal worldwide as they make each pass. The datum may need adjusted to what the locals use to state co-ords.

From what I see online, the is a really active caching community in Germany. Tell the "enjoy".

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I did a search and did not find what I was looking for. I have not been here in such a long, long time, nor have I used my GPS in a long time. My son-in-law is in the Air Force stationed in Germany. He and my daughter recently made an early Christmas request for a GPS. Now forgive me if this sounds stupid, but, do all GPS units work all over the world? Do you just have to change the map datum? I guess what I really want to know is can a GPS bought here in the good ole USA work in Germany? Or will I need to download additional information? I can tell my son-in-law all about using it here where we live, but when they go back to Germany, I don't have a clue as to what to tell them. Thanks.

GPS working all over the world is the whole point of GPS. The G in GPS is Global. If you are the North Pole, GPS will tell you where you are, if you are at the South Pole, GPS will tell you where you are and if you are anywhere in between, GPS will tell you where you are.

As for GPS's for the America market working in Germany, yes, they will. Most GPS's run on either batteries or a car adaptor and those are standards around the world. Buy AA's for your American GPS in Germany and they will work. In fact, the only difference between an American market GPS and a German market GPS is the langauge on the box.

The map datum is easily changeable in the GPS. My Garmin GPS support many many map datums.

Edited by MrMullen

Only problem they will run into is that units sold in the US that include maps (Garmin 60 series, Magellan eXplorists, others) have US base maps. Units sold in Europe have European base maps. You may or may not be able to get the detail maps for Europe over here, but you can get them in Europe and load them onto the unit (if it is a map-capable unit). Both my Magellans and Garmins show the continental outlines, national boundaries (as of the date of last software update), and cities (city center, as a dot), but no roads, for anything outside North America. As noted already, no problem showing the lat/lon, and some of the recent WAAS-enabled units will handle the European EGNOS satellites as well.

Only problem they will run into is that units sold in the US that include maps (Garmin 60 series, Magellan eXplorists, others) have US base maps. Units sold in Europe have European base maps. You may or may not be able to get the detail maps for Europe over here, but you can get them in Europe and load them onto the unit (if it is a map-capable unit). Both my Magellans and Garmins show the continental outlines, national boundaries (as of the date of last software update), and cities (city center, as a dot), but no roads, for anything outside North America. As noted already, no problem showing the lat/lon, and some of the recent WAAS-enabled units will handle the European EGNOS satellites as well.

Thank you very much, that is what I was wanting to figgure out. I appreciate it.

My eTrex yellow worked just great while on a visit there last year.

Before they head back, they just have to make sure they know how to switch units (metres vs. ft, km vs. mi, etc).

The one thing I noticed when searching for caches to do, there seems to be a higher percentage of multis that use dates, numbers, etc from signs, statues and what-not to get to the next stage. Fortunately I had uncles and/or my mother with me to help translate (my German is nto what it should be!).

A friend approached me today, asking about GPSr and Italian maps for his trip to Italy next year. He doesn't know anything about GPSr and I've only had Garmins (Etrex Vista and Vista C), so he's open to whichever type of GPSr. He won't be caching (unless I can convert him), and will want the roads in Italy on it so he won't get totally lost. Any suggestion as to which unit/mapping capability?

A friend approached me today, asking about GPSr and Italian maps for his trip to Italy next year. He doesn't know anything about GPSr and I've only had Garmins (Etrex Vista and Vista C), so he's open to whichever type of GPSr. He won't be caching (unless I can convert him), and will want the roads in Italy on it so he won't get totally lost. Any suggestion as to which unit/mapping capability?

I purchased MetroGuide Europe and loaded the relevent areas into my Vista and Quest for a trip to Amsterdam, Paris, London and nearby areas last Spring. The maps and both units were great, but the Quest is much nicer due to the color screen and the external antenna jack, which I use anytime I am not in a car (eg. train, plane, or on foot). Metroguide doesn't autoroute, but a GoTo line is fine, especially as I wasn't driving. I particularly enjoy uploading my tracks to a computer and seeing where I was.

When I got home, I found that Garmin had just released a new version of MetroGuide Europe, which they sent to me at no charge.

I had looked at the Garmin site and their descriptions of the roads/streets detail on the maps was a bit ambiguous; are there smaller roads only in the bigger cities or would he be able to get off the main roads and still find his way? I'd hate to never see him again!

I'm thinking the autoroute feature would be good for him, but you never know. Sometimes the coolest things are off the beaten path, as we know!

Thanks for the info.