Explorist 210 - Viewing Caches on Map

Just Jim

Can someone please tell how to permanently view all loaded caches on the map screen of the Explorist 210? I have selected Display Geocaches on the Map Setup screen. But every time I change the geocache file, I have a heck of a time getting the caches to show on the map. I have about 25 caches saved, so I'm well under the limit.

After about 15 minutes of pushing buttons and turning off and on, I'm sometimes able to have the cache icons show on the map. My geocaches file will be in bold print and the caches will be shown on the map until I delete or change the file. It's when I make a change is when I can't seem to figure out what to do to get the caches back on the map. I have no trouble with regular POIs, just geocaches.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi there Jim,

Well, I am not with tech support by any stretch, but here is what I found out with my 210. We did about 11 caches this weekend and kind of worked through some of the bugs with it. I found that the unit takes the first geocache file as your default, anything after that becomes secondary and I haven't figured out how to make them the active file. So, with that in mind, I load up all of the geocaches I want to find in the file for the county I will be working in using the Geocache manager. I found the doco on page 72 very helpful in the PDF file. I then load up that cache file as my first one. If I have any others, I delete them from the GPS and then the one I have built becomes my default. I'm sure there is some other way to pick a cache file as the default, I just haven't figured it out yet. Maybe someday when I am bored, I'll call technical support. I still haven't finished going through all 90+ pages of the manual yet either. Hope this helps!

When I first started downloading Caches and uploading the Geocache Mangaer I was doing them one by one and I thought there had to be a better way. Then I found out you can click the "ammend to" button when adding new ones and I could upload a bunch at one time. This still seemed like a pain. Then I noticed the "Bookmark" option on the geocache website. Now I can bookmark a whole bunch of caches as I browse them and when I get a good list together, I can tell it to email them all to me in one .zip file and I can upload them all in 2 seconds. This is by far the easiest way I've seen.

I know this doesn't look like an answer to your question, but I found out the hard way about the "Default" folder of caches this weekend and had to retire early because I couln't see the caches in the park I was in. I figured out that I had to delete them all and reload them all in one folder for them all to be visible. Luckily I figured out the bookmarking system and it has made mass uploading and deleting folders a piece of cake.

Sorry if this post doesn't make sense, It sounded good in my head.

Edited by Slaptacular

Thanks, both to slaptacular and carpetking. Your posts encouraged me to keep digging and I think I've found the answer. I've downloaded multiple caches as suggested by slaptacular and given them a new cache file name using the geocache manager that came with the Explorist 210 and uploaded that file to the GSPr. I then went into the Preferences menu, selected Active Setup, and there it is ... a menu to select default files (geocaches at the bottom of the screen). It worked! A manual written by a knowledgeable user would certainly be welcome.

Thanks for the help and good suggestions. Happy caching.

Jim

GOT IT!!!!

Go to Menu

Scroll down to preferences

Scroll Down to Active Setup

Scroll Down to Geocaches

Click "Select File"

Now select the file you want to use as your default.

Now you can switch between folders and make whichever one you want the default one and those geocaches will always be on your screen.

Thanks, both to slaptacular and carpetking. Your posts encouraged me to keep digging and I think I've found the answer. I've downloaded multiple caches as suggested by slaptacular and given them a new cache file name using the geocache manager that came with the Explorist 210 and uploaded that file to the GSPr. I then went into the Preferences menu, selected Active Setup, and there it is ... a menu to select default files (geocaches at the bottom of the screen). It worked! A manual written by a knowledgeable user would certainly be welcome.

Thanks for the help and good suggestions. Happy caching.

Jim

dadgum! Beat me to it! When I saw this in the book I smiled. Made my day. Now if I could figure out how to do a Firmware update....

I think thhat if we work ogether, we can write a user friendly user manual that can be stickied. If not, then we can at least make a FAQ.

Edited by Slaptacular

dadgum! Beat me to it! When I saw this in the book I smiled. Made my day. Now if I could figure out how to do a Firmware update....

Unfortunately, there is no firmware update for the 210. I wish it had the ability to mark caches as found, like I can on my 400. This was a feature added in the 4/5/600's firmware update last winter.

hey there Slaptacular. Thanks for the info about the 'Default' cache file. Just what the doctor ordered. I hadn't gotten to that point in the 96 page manual yet, but I am sure it is in there there somewhere. But hey, you save me from lots of digging. I sure love these forums. Just a wealth of information. Thanks again!