Armchair Loggers

Does archiving/deleting the log remove the count? If not, then the armchair logger has acheaved his goal - getting a high number by cheating. Some criminals work twice as hard, to illigally get what they want, as the average worker who buys what he wants. And the armchair logger is missing the best part of Waymarking.

I'm wondering about some logs that I may do in the future. I have over 200 waymarks that I haven't had time to create. If someone creates a waymark before I do, then I can log a visit. What if I post a visit in the winter, with a summer photo? Or, if I do log the actual date of my visit, will I get a "You can't log a visit before the waymark/category was created!" Why not, if I just haven't had time to creat that waymark before they did, or if I can cross post from another category.

I've traveled over 5000 miles in 4 states in the past two months. Another 1000 mile trip through 3 states is being planned at this time. Maybe I'll find that Art-o-Matic in Chicago, or Indianapolis, or Louisville. Or maybe someone else logs them as waymarks and I can visit them. If I post visits to all three on the same day, will I be an armchair logger? Of course the gps and some fingers will be in the picture. A picture of me in the picture? Well, I've done that too. No timer on my $50.00 camera. Hold it at arms length and hope that I aimed right. Most of the time I see half of a head. (If you glue the parts of me from several photos, you'll see the real me. It ain't pretty). I do take more then one picture most of the time. But with a 26k phone line I only upload the minimum photo requirment for a visit most of the time.

OK, I've ranted enough. I've read all of the above posts and know what you are working against. I don't think you can stop it completely.

Think about this - A person logs a visit without doing any requirments but says, " I did a Google search for Such & Such and your waymark came up. I thought it was kinda neat. I went to it and really enjoyed seeing it. The fact that it was 300 years old really amazed me. I don't have a camara or gps but thought I would let you know." or perhaps they said, "I happened to come across a Google search that showed Such & Such down the street from my house was a waymark and that people should visit it. I've been there and I think it's really dumb for people to be listing ordinary place for others to visit. I don't have a gps and don't intent to buy one if this is what you do with them."

Will you accept both logs by these "Muggles"? It will happen. Possably sooner then you think. The other day, I did a Google search, and a Waymark came up as the 5th item on the first page. The item that I did the search for had already been waymarked. Check this one also: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=p...torical+markers

Wel at least Waymarking is about exchanging experience. Sometimes a pictures is required. These are the rulez. If you want to create a few waymarks but someone got first, then just put your picture or experience as a visiste log. But for the people that do noy obey the rules an owner should have the previlige to remove.

Does archiving/deleting the log remove the count?

- the armchair logger is missing the best part of Waymarking.

- I have over 200 waymarks that I haven't had time to create. If someone creates a waymark before I do, then I can log a visit. What if I post a visit in the winter, with a summer photo? Or, if I do log the actual date of my visit, will I get a "You can't log a visit before the waymark/category was created!" Why not, if I just haven't had time to creat that waymark before they did, or if I can cross post from another category.

- If I post visits to all three on the same day, will I be an armchair logger? I only upload the minimum photo requirment for a visit most of the time.

- OK, I've ranted enough. I've read all of the above posts and know what you are working against. I don't think you can stop it completely.

-Think about this - A person logs a visit without doing any requirments but says, " I did a Google search for Such & Such and your waymark came up.

Will you accept both logs by these "Muggles"?

yes, as with caching, deleting a log changes the stats.

i totally agree.

believe it or not, i have been sniped on a few marks. i put it off for a few days, and someone else posted it. i then logged their mark, mentioning my shortfall. the WM.com log dating system goes back to 1999. so the earliest log would have that date. i often do not get to post marks or have them approved on the same day. i always log the date i was there, not the date i was making the log. i try to go beyond the set picture requirements (or keep it open to see what others saw on their visit, as they should be a lot more informed than all those that came before them), and using the date in the file name helps me keep track of the many pics acquired in my life.

no, logging them on the same day is fine, but you need to log the date you were actually there and upload the appropriate pics. i try to go beyond the set picture requirements (or keep it open to see what others saw on their visit, as they should be a lot more informed than all those that came before them), and using the date in the file name helps me keep track of the many pics acquired in my life.

it is obvious what we are working against, and not as easy to prove as with GC.com. nothing can ever be completely stopped--as in these secret caching clubs that have caches in places they are banned--but this thread was penned in an effort to take a proactive stance on the issue. through doing this the issue is in the open, and through openly sharing information about marking ethics, moderators know how to spot inconsistencies while letting users know that it is frowned upon and actions can be taked to rectify the situation.

as with caching there is a 'write note' for Waymarking logs. writing a note does not (or has not yet to my knowledge) affect the stats one bit. early in the site with only GA historical markers, i had a person armchair surf through my marks. they chose one and wrote a note thanking me for my glimpse into history. when you go to a waymark and visit it (have sufficient proof), log it as such. otherwise, if you just want to 'share your thoughts', write a note. but how many users of the G word would see the site, go through the effort to create an account and then log a false visit? i think this would greatly eliminate this risk.

i would be greatly enthusiastic about 'others' writing notes about my marks and providing information i could incorporate into the descriptions, pics too.......