Caching in SC

JMBIndy

I'm in Indiana, but used to live in Charleston and visit my folks every year. I plan on caching while down there this Christmas.

I've checked out the newest website with the new codes of etiquette and so forth. Now really, are people actually following the new "rules?"

Geocachers are not only expected to follow the guidelines at GC.com, but to use common sense in the placement of caches. Having lived in Charleston for 20 years, it makes perfect sense that certain cemeteries are off-limits. Personally, cemetery caches are my favorite since I get to read about the people from long ago. Placing a cache at a gravestone is just plain wrong, but placing them along tree-lines and such has been acceptable in the past.

Unless they make it a crime to cache in certain areas, I don't see how people will be stopped. For example, if I walk into a cemetery with a GPS, what are they going to do, arrest me?

Here in Indianapolis we have Crown Hill Cemetery, a wonderful, NATIONAL spot. We are not permitted to place caches within it, so what has been done is to do information gathering, using the GPS, within the cemetery, then take the information and put together the coordinates for the final cache OUTSIDE of the cemetery. This is a wonderful way of learning about the "residents" of the cemetery and play the game at the same time. (caches "Tour of Crown Hill Cemetery and More" and "Angels")

We have a series here known as the Indiana Spirit Quest, which involves hundreds of hides within pioneer cemeteries. Thanks to the caches, many of the cemeteries are now back on the map, having been forgotten for many years, and are now being taking care of either by individuals or the nearby cities. It seems South Carolina could benefit from such a series of caches, bringing a bit of history back to life.

I've never thought highly of the politics down there and think even less of it now. It seems to me the legislatures would be best to spend their time on important subjects, such as improving the educational system then going after a sport where 99.9% of the players are more than willing to follow the rules set forth by GC.com.

Sorry for the rant, but it really irks me when government steps in where it shouldn't.

Edited for spelling.

Adding link to website: SC Geocaching Organization

Edited by JMBIndy

Just a couple quick notes:

1- The only cache hiding policy followed is that of Geocaching.com.

2- If you really want a year's worth of backstory and history about why those certain types of caches are not allowed anymore then let me know and I'll pass along the information.

On the upside I highly suggest you try a couple of caches in that area by Waterbaron, Sissy-n-CR, and Brett-n-Citty, they all have quality hides in the low country and some of them also have history and/or a beautiful scenic view.

Just a couple quick notes:

1- The only cache hiding policy followed is that of Geocaching.com.

2- If you really want a year's worth of backstory and history about why those certain types of caches are not allowed anymore then let me know and I'll pass along the information.

On the upside I highly suggest you try a couple of caches in that area by Waterbaron, Sissy-n-CR, and Brett-n-Citty, they all have quality hides in the low country and some of them also have history and/or a beautiful scenic view.

Thanks for the cache suggestion. I'll look them up before I head south.

I would like to point out the SCGO is a closed group. You have to accepted into the group and if they don't want you in, you don't get in. The SCGA, on the other hand, is an open group and to become a member all you have to do is attend a single SCGA-sponsored meeting and you're a member for life.

Then there's the Upstate folks and the Piedmont folks, both of which are also open groups.

Hardly anyone pays attention to what the SCGO does.

If you're looking for caches to do around Charleston, here's my bookmark list. (I probably should update it as some have been archived and some new good ones have popped up.)

I would like to point out the SCGO is a closed group. You have to accepted into the group and if they don't want you in, you don't get in. The SCGA, on the other hand, is an open group and to become a member all you have to do is attend a single SCGA-sponsored meeting and you're a member for life.

Then there's the Upstate folks and the Piedmont folks, both of which are also open groups.

Hardly anyone pays attention to what the SCGO does.

If you're looking for caches to do around Charleston, here's my bookmark list. (I probably should update it as some have been archived and some new good ones have popped up.)

THAT'S SOUTH CAROLINA PIEDMONT CACHERS

S-C-P-C

At least give us a full plug CR! :huh:

X

The SCGO was started up a little under a year ago and for different reasons at the time just did not take off

I've quickly learned no matter what a group thinks or feels, even if it is not the group for you, it might be for someone else and we need to respect that and allow them to do things they way they want to do things in that area.

As it stands now the current active groups in South Carolina are:

1. SCGA (which is the state group)

2. SCPC (Piedmont area)--happy X--now unwad your diaper :-)

3. USCGA (the Upstate)

4. CSRA (unoffical name for Aiken-Augusta area)

More may or may not form in the future, and I hope if they do form, the jumping on the ban this group bandwagon is not in effect.

Edited by geoholic28

I just had another though and I don't want to tag it onto my last one cause I think this one deserves a stand alone post.

The first couple sentences by the OP asking about a particular group he had come across and since then mixed opinions have been shared about that. I don't want a couple sentences to overshadow the whole OP though. The rest of post discussed caches in cemeteries. Now I have no doubt that in other states I am sure you will find some high quality caches in cemeteries. What came about last year with the bill is what it is and even though it never passed, we had to adjust. Some move on, some still harbor some bad feelings about it.

I do think some geocachers have stepped up and shown though you can have a beautiful historical type cache in other area and still learn something, enjoy the area and have a cache. I know I can not name them all so if I leave your name out, nothing personal, but in the low country alone, you find some great quality hides from Waterbaron, Sissy-n-CR, Brett-n-Citty (if you like snakes), SCBrain, JL Sandlapper, and that is just to name a few because those are all I can think of off the top of my head in the lowcountry.

Bottom line is--while an area might have been taken away, a lot of cachers are still showing a lot of other great areas for us to visit with new caches.

3. USCGA (the Upstate)

G28-

I respect your effort to preserve our annonymity (or maybe you've forgotten us already), but let's not forget the Midlands Geoholics who attend monthly Geoholics Annonymous meetings.

Our casual appearance of disorganization is cleverly-crafted to keep us in obscurity and off the radar screen.

:huh:

3. USCGA (the Upstate)

G28-

I respect your effort to preserve our annonymity (or maybe you've forgotten us already), but let's not forget the Midlands Geoholics who attend monthly Geoholics Annonymous meetings.

Our casual appearance of disorganization is cleverly-crafted to keep us in obscurity and off the radar screen.

HAH!

DOH---you are so right, the Midland Geoholics located in...well the Midlands.....I have to say if it was not for some of the geocachers in that area I more then likely would have stopped a long time ago geocaching.

In spite of some of those cachers you were allowed to continue caching. Is that what you meant to say?

X

All -

Thanks for the replies and setting me straight. I was kind of hoping the organization was a minority and that others follow the standard GC rules. I merely become frustrated when I hear of individuals trying to push their will/beliefs on others and manage to win the battle. I know I'm a year behind on all the information and wanted to make sure that cachers still have the freedom to pursue the sport we all enjoy.

Thanks again. I look forward to caching in the Charleston area and along I-26 this December. I've got the Google routes from Indy defined and uploaded so I may have fun along the way.

Also, contact Brett-n-Citty or Sissy-n-CR for more local advace.

Since Tales brought up groups...

USCGA- upstate geocachers at the link he provided

the state group, SCGA which is at www.iscga.org

or the SCPC at http://www.scpc.clanxman.com/index.html

Midland Geoholics

CSRA

and more to come based on what I was told from the other end of the state.

Pretty much anywhere you go you will find cachers who will help you if you run into any problems, have a safe trip and enjoy all the wonderful caches Charleston has to offer.

I can't say much about the other groups mentioned, but the USCGA has a great program in SC. We would love to have Tales from the surface work on our site!

A little brown on the Black Scarabs Nose :ph34r:

Black Scarab

Then you need to get out more and visit these other groups. USCGA has some good things going on but there are so many other cachers to meet and things to see. Come on over.

X

SCPC

I can't say much about the other groups mentioned, but the USCGA has a great program in SC. We would love to have Tales from the surface work on our site!

A little brown on the Black Scarabs Nose :lol:

Black Scarab

Then you need to get out more and visit these other groups. USCGA has some good things going on but there are so many other cachers to meet and things to see. Come on over.

X

SCPC

What X said.

What ever happened to the SCGO? Did the SCARABS gobble them up? South Carolina has a really bad problem about secrecy. We find it funny that nobody has a clue who their reviewer is! The only unity that South Carolina has is their smaller groups. What a pitty....

DX

Anybody else smell socks around here? Well, maybe I'm just imagining things, but a 2-day old geonick from "anytown" with "finds" back to 2004 sure sets off my sock alert. Edited by jon & miki

We find it funny that nobody has a clue who their reviewer is! The only unity that South Carolina has is their smaller groups. What a pitty....

DX

Who is "we"? Many people have a "clue" and know who the reviewer is. It just isn't discussed. The reviewer prefers to remain anonymous. Why can't that be respected?

As far as unity, yes our smaller groups are very united. Why is that pitiful? I think it is great that we can have smaller groups representing each area of our state. We, the SC cachers, are getting more things accomplished as smaller groups then as a large group. Why is this, you may be wondering??? Because it is very difficult to get every cacher in the state to a centralized location for a large meeting/cito. Do you realize how big our state actually is?? For folks in the upstate to travel to the beach it will take them 5 or 6 hours to get there. Get a clue before posting about our groups and reviewer.

After reading our first post, We realise that it sounds horrible! We are sorry, We did not mean it the way it came across. I will clarify what we meant. (We) A group of caching friends from several diff areas and a few transplants cannot understand why only a few people a privy to the reviewers identity. Why is this info when asked about, frowned upon and met with hostility? Some of the others in the group knew who there reviewer was and it was no secret.JAMRASC said that many had a clue and know who the reviewer was. Do you not call that in one form or another keeping a secret? We will respect the reviewers wishes whatever they maybe. The what a pitty/unity, was in reference to some groups trying to seperate themselves from others because they did not like the system or how things ran. A good example in the forums is the SCGO/SCGA thread. We again would like to start off on the right foot and say that we are a semi sock.A few good cachers and newbies out for a good time trying something new and doing the thing we love to do.Each person also caches under their personal identity,and we have deleted the backdated logs because,ALL of the people in our group did not find the caches at the same time. Also as everybody knows, a sock is a good way to air out opinions, without fear of being flamed or stabbed in the back. We have our theories and opinions and we will throw them out there from time to time. We mean no harm to anyone.

DX

What ever happened to the SCGO? Did the SCARABS gobble them up? South Carolina has a really bad problem about secrecy. We find it funny that nobody has a clue who their reviewer is! The only unity that South Carolina has is their smaller groups. What a pitty....

DX

As you all know me, I will call a spade, a spade, no matter what. I know what the poster meant because those were my words almost verbatim. I have cached with the majority of you guys for several years now and have become good friends with most of you. I honestly don't get the "secret identity of the reviewer thing" either,but I am sick and tired of others asking me about it also. It has come to my attention over the past couple of years that more and more cachers want to know the identity of the reviewer. I for one have no problem with this. Don't get me wrong, I wish to respect his/her wishes but, I don't understand the reasoning behind it. Other states and state groups know their reviewer, and the cachers of South Carolina don't know.They are kept in the dark for one reason or another. My question is "WHY?" I know others that have asked time and time again and have been snubbed, flamed, and scolded. I disliked the idea of seperate groups, but understand why they formed. Newer cachers, or newbies,as we seasoned cachers call them, have written numerous emails to me asking why is it taboo to talk about the reviewer. I really don't have a good reply. So I write this...If anyone wants to explain it to me, feel free, cause I don't get it either. I know that each and every one of you that cache in South Carolina, at one point in time, have asked yourself that question. I know of several people that have dwelled on it for some time. So how many out there know? I am sure that this was one of the reasons for the SCGO/SCARAB/USCGA split. So to all of those that have went their seperate ways...I understand. I personally see no reason for the reviewer to hide their identity, but that's my opinion, and I always have one.

Flame Away if you must, but I have a very thick skin. I look forward to a few responses...especially from the SCARABS/SCGO/SCGA/SCPC/USCGA/or any other group or individual that has felt slighted by this issue. Now is your time...I have opened the door.

Respectfully,

DiskDevil

My turn to bring the gas to the fire...

Do I know EXACTLY who SC_R is? NOPE

Do I talk with them from time to time on e-mail? Yes

Do I have ANY say in caches getting approved or not? NOPE

I have a few good friends I cache with and I vaule their friendship. I am friends with cachers I see all the time at events and/or lived close by to that I wish I could cache with. I do have people who think I am SC_R, I have people who think I have a say in caches being approved. I have some people who think a dead chicken has more vaule then I do. Do I care? not really, love me or hate me I will have those who support me and those who hate me. It is a two way street though, just because I shrug it off and don't care does not mean others see the truth. I've lost where this thread has exactly gone, but I do know it still is in the say line of the OP's first post about what exactly is Geocaching in South Carolina about anymore

The dirty answer- tribes, little groups here, little groups there. I don't give a rat's hindend about distance. If you truly say you support someone or a group prove it and show up if the only thing that is stopping you is distance. Yes gas prices are high, but I am a teacher and I know a lot more people who whine about gas prices make a lot more then me.

I tend to try not to go off on a soapbox but tonight you all caught me at my prime..thankfully that will change VERY soon, you all go ape around awhile, I'll be back when the poo flinging resides.

Hmmmmmmmmm......

Why does the SC_Reviewer hide his/her/their identity? Could it be because it keeps people guessing? Could it be so that he/she/they can cache in peace? Could it be just because of some folks talking crap about them? Could it be because some cannot grow up and just cache as you will?

I have often wondered who the Reviewer is. Do I know? Maybe. Do I want to tell anyone? No. Would I tell anyone if I really knew? No. The Reviewer has kept his/her/their identity secret for a reason only known to them. So let's respect that.

I am surprised at some of the views that have been made public about this particular subject. I am even more surprised by some of the people making these things public.

Respectfully,

X

Let us play worse cache situation here, a new version of the bill comes up and if push comes to shove if it meant saving geocaching in South Carolina would SC_R step out of the shadows, I believe he/she/they/I would step up, let it be known to those people know behind the bill and let Groundspeak put a new reviewer in the state and all move on.

Now for groups, you wanna talk groups, lets talk

The SCGA--State geocaching group

The USCGA- upstate group that has grown very fast very quick, no telling where it might go, but the sky is the limit it seems

The SCPC- wants to have fun, cache, and clean

The SCGO- had some radical ideas about how to change geocaching in south carolina and got dumped on pretty hard

The Scarab Group- Hidden amount of cachers who want to cache and log under one account, good for them, don't really see any really benefit for it.

Curious George is really giving the man in the yellow hat tonight some grief.

This really puts me in mind of that old saying of give a hundred monkeys a hundred typewriters.........well you guys can fling poo and eat bannanas and use twigs for tools and such I got a heavy day tommorow.

X

"C'mon you apes, you want to live forever?"

Johnny Rico / Starship Troopers

Edited by Clan X-Man

Wow, I got up early to go caching and thought I would check in on some forums and see this thread has gone "South". ...Pun intended

OP- I don't know if SCGO is even active anymore, or ever was. I signed up in Februbary, read some of their information, read some rviews and requested to be removed from their group.

I run the USCGA website and come off as abrasive sometimes, I am proud of our members and what they are trying to acomplish. Forgive me thread posters if my post was offensive and now that I read it sounds selfish.

USCGA- Go there and form your own opinion, I am bias. :laughing:

SCPC- met them at the Dreher Island event, they are all good examples of geocaching and I respect their CITO work.

SCGA- State group that had a long hard fight for geocaching in SC. Thanks to their hard work, we can cache. I believe fighting for our sake took something out of them however, they are putting the group back on track again and we should see some good things coming out of the SCGA soon.

Aiken Group- These folks have got some great event ideas. Ice creame social, pool parties, ... A trip to an Aiken event is probably a well spent day.

I can't comment on the others because I have never been to their meetings or met their cachers.

SC_R- Some members of the USCGA were vocal about the review process early on, and some still are. I also think us being Vocal with this process has been confused with vocal against the reviewer, not so. I personally had an issue with a portion of the process, and was tounge lashed by the appropriate authorities at a well known geocaching site :laughing: and all was made clear. GC is a business not a hobby site and we must do as they would have us do, right or wrong, agree or disagree, like it or leave it. So as far as do I want to know who the SC_R is? I really don't care, my beef was in the process and it was misunderstood by the powers. Email me if you want to know more.

IMHO, there are several great groups in SC. Some are large, some are smaller, but it appears that they are all working toward promoting caching through positive media and CITO events. In the near future I believe it will become apparent just how much alike they really are (Except SCGO, lol). Having regional groups has increased the Geocaching activity 5 fold in the last six months, and we as cachers in SC are learning how to work through the growing pains.

My Two Cents

Now, I'm going caching!

Tales

Present Cache Density in SC:

2.25 million people with 1435 active caches = 1568 citizens per cache. (ballpark figures, just for reference)

I know that while we were involved with the Great Geo-Political Struggle (thanks, SCGA!), lots of caches were archived and the rate of new caches slowed significantly. I'm grateful for the recent trending-up in the rate of new cache placement - for whatever reason.

Has anyone seen any similar stats for other states or locales? I'm curious.

I did a search for "cache density" and such a thread did not pop out at me.

I wonder if caches per square mile might be another interesting statistic?

I would like to know the caches per square mile in WNC, that would be an interesting statistic.

In the Merry Old Land of OZ-Guff (Sylva), it's probably 100!

Every tenth of a mile. :D

I went on a spree there last summer with Team WeeLee; great time.

It's a very target-rich environment (and that was over a year ago).

LOL, I like that. OzGuff had me pulling my hair out yesterday...wait I don't have any hair?

I do enjoy the WNC mountains. Yesterday we found ourselves ejoying more of the mountains then caching, but thats why we cache. It takes you to places that you may never have seen.

Follow the yellow cache road!

Edited by TalesFromTheSurface

I've been out of town and just got back in, last night I was a handed the palm of the person who I was having dinner with and told me to read the new posts that had come up on this post. I read the one main post that was pointed out to me, the long one by tales and I was taking back by it.

I rarely get the chance to ever say this, but I totally and honestly agree with Tales in his post and I do not think it could be sumed up better then what all he had to say.

I'm going to bed...I'm APEd out