Is mapsend worth it?

I am working on getting a new gps unit and have pretty much settled on the Magellen eX400. The cost is about $200 (according to magellans website). But it looks like I can get the wilderness bundle for only $80 more which includes the Mapsend Topo (normally retails on its own for $150). I'm going to be using my unit for hiking, hunting and cashing so do I really need the Topo software or should i save my $80. I'm just afraid I'm going to regret not getting it with the bundle and have to pay retail for it later. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on other gps units similar to the eX400 and in the same price range, I'd appriciate it. This will be my first gps so i don't need anything fancy but I would like something with SD card capabilities so I can have different maps for different areas I'll be going with out having to delete and reload everytime I change locations. Thanks to anyone who offers their expertise.

I just posted a link in another thread that mentioned CompuSave is selling the 500 for $199, and adding Topo3D for another ten bucks. At that price, I can safely say MapSend is worth it.

CompuSave does tend to get some of their sale prices back on the shipping, but it should still be a good deal.

I haven't looked thoroughly of late, so there might be other deals out there. But it pays to shop around.

Edit: I just noticed they're selling a 3-year extended warranty for $18...I'd get that, too.

Edited by embra

I am working on getting a new gps unit and have pretty much settled on the Magellen eX400. The cost is about $200 (according to magellans website). But it looks like I can get the wilderness bundle for only $80 more which includes the Mapsend Topo (normally retails on its own for $150). I'm going to be using my unit for hiking, hunting and cashing so do I really need the Topo software or should i save my $80. I'm just afraid I'm going to regret not getting it with the bundle and have to pay retail for it later. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on other gps units similar to the eX400 and in the same price range, I'd appriciate it. This will be my first gps so i don't need anything fancy but I would like something with SD card capabilities so I can have different maps for different areas I'll be going with out having to delete and reload everytime I change locations. Thanks to anyone who offers their expertise.

I bought the topo and directroute maps a few months after I got my 600. I haven't used the topo map more than once or twice, and I don't recall why I needed it specifically.

I use the directroute maps ALL the time, even for geocaching. For me, the directroute maps have everything I need, and the routing has been very helpful for caching in unfamiliar areas.

Having said that, just having ANY maps is better than the default basemap, imho.

Scott

I have an eXplorist 600 and use MapSend Topo 3D a lot. It gives you the lay of the land with sufficient clarity to naviage in 3D, but without the overkill of a USGS topo. I use the routing feature of the GPSr rather than using MapSend DirectRoute. Twister 65 does just the opposite, so figure out what YOUR needs are. Both programs work well, but have different purposes.

I recommend that you check the current Magellan "special promos". IIRC, they have MapSend Topo3D for $10 if you buy one of their "qualifying GPSr units".

Now, I have DirectRoute v2 I got with my eXplorist 600, and paid about $70 for it. It is great when it runs, but the app seems to think that my system doesn't have enough resources for it to load even though I have 1GB physical memory free, plus plenty of my 1.7GHz Pentium M processor, and drive space free. My wife bought the Topo3D software with her Magellan, and we both prefer it for most of our work. You can not do drive/street routing (automatically) with the Topo maps, but you do have the elevation markers on the screen, and those are handy when caching in an area with terrain for potential large vertical changes.

Also be warned that if you don't get the latest version of the MapSend software that you choose, you will also need to keep the last disc of the install in the drive to run it. That is a major pain in the butt, but it does have a few other potential benefits...

I recommend that you check the current Magellan "special promos". IIRC, they have MapSend Topo3D for $10 if you buy one of their "qualifying GPSr units".

I checked the special promos link at magellangps.com but the only thing there was the dealer locator. Am I missing something?

The compuserv link did show the mapsend for 10 but when I added to cart to get an idea of the shipping price it showed it at 69 with no rebate option....

Also be warned that if you don't get the latest version of the MapSend software that you choose, you will also need to keep the last disc of the install in the drive to run it. That is a major pain in the butt, but it does have a few other potential benefits...

A nice solution to that is here.

The compuserv link did show the mapsend for 10 but when I added to cart to get an idea of the shipping price it showed it at 69 with no rebate option....

The rebate form link was on the product page, just above the "buy now" button. Here 'tis.

Honestly,,,, I'm not sure what the eX400 will do as far as features go but I have a Sportrak Pro and have the Canada Topo. I've loaded the Region for where I live and am completely satisfied. If you are mostly on the roads or Hunting Fishing etc. the Topo enables all of the features that the system is designed with.

In my opinion for what it's worth,,,,,,,PAY THE ADDITIONAL NOW!!! Because you will wish you had some day.

:huh:

I checked the special promos link at magellangps.com but the only thing there was the dealer locator. Am I missing something?

Probably not. I'm not sure where I found it but it is linked as a "promo" if you search at "www.PriceGrabber.com", you'll find:

Promo

Buy a Magellan eXplorist 400, 500, 600, or XL GPS Unit and Get MapSend Topo 3D USA for only $9.99 more from Magellan.

This implies that you get the Topo software directly from Magellan if you buy one of the units from an authorized reseller. They may use the software included on the DVD in the eXplorist box, and only charge you $10 activation charges, I don't know for sure...