really high numbers of cache finds

kdv

Cache Density:

Within 25 miles of our one POO (Point Of Origin - and also the homebase for potty stops and meal/water breaks) I came up with these numbers:

582 Total caches

35% Micros

37% Small

18% Regular

.3% Large

.7% Multi (mixed sizes there)

.1% Virtual

8.% Mystery (ends of Multi's usually)

2.7% not chosen

3.9% Other

We have an area that is largely agriculture and cattle areas...pretty hard to get more than 30 or so a day, unless you are willing to leave the kids and spouse behind, pee in a cup, starve yourself and spend several paychecks on gas...

Now I understand some other areas (San Jose for example) are quite well-stocked with caches, (at every minimum distance increment) and are more walking/biking friendly (like having sidewalks) so it is WAY easier to grab 100 or so on one full comfortable day of caching.

I think the question was/is: what about teams consisting of multiple people, say John, Mary, George, Helen and Pete...one day John and Mary go caching and log on the team account, the next day maybe they go hunting all together, and yet another time George and Helen go caching...again using the team account. I know that happens (even here in Italy) and nobody really seems to care about it (not here anyway), nor is anyone making a secret of it. Of course it does screw up the game for number freaks :)

I will probably get flamed for this BUT....you know what nevermind. CACHE ON!

Well ive been caching bout two years and have logged bout 20 caches i love geocaching but i am very busy and I've hit bout 20-30 more I never loged cuz usually I wait till i get home from travelling but i always forget the day i was there and feel wierd logging a cache after a month or so. Whats the consensus on late logs.

Well ive been caching bout two years and have logged bout 20 caches i love geocaching but i am very busy and I've hit bout 20-30 more I never loged cuz usually I wait till i get home from travelling but i always forget the day i was there and feel wierd logging a cache after a month or so. Whats the consensus on late logs.

If you signed the logbook with a certain date, just use that date online when you log the cache. I don't see any problem with "late" logging at all.

After all, you DID physically find and log the cache.

i always forget the day i was there and feel wierd logging a cache after a month or so. Whats the consensus on late logs.

Got no idea what the consensus is, since I've only been caching for a month, but it seems to m that if it wasn't OK to log after the fact, the site wouldn't provide the capability for choosing the date on a log.

As far as not remembering the exact date, if it were me I think I'd do two things:

Carry a small notebook in my caching backpack, or in the glove compartment of my vehicle, and make a quick note of the date and cache name in that - IOW, keep a personal log.

If I forgot to do that, I'd log the visit on the site with a date CLOSE to when I found it, and note in the log that I may be off by a day or three because I got delayed in logging & don't remember exactly.

I doubt most people would have a problem with that, although I have already noticed via reading the forums that there are SOME out there who take this a wee bit too seriously. :D

Edited by cimawr

i always forget the day i was there and feel wierd logging a cache after a month or so. Whats the consensus on late logs.

Got no idea what the consensus is, since I've only been caching for a month, but it seems to m that if it wasn't OK to log after the fact, the site wouldn't provide the capability for choosing the date on a log.

As far as not remembering the exact date, if it were me I think I'd do two things:

Carry a small notebook in my caching backpack, or in the glove compartment of my vehicle, and make a quick note of the date and cache name in that - IOW, keep a personal log.

If I forgot to do that, I'd log the visit on the site with a date CLOSE to when I found it, and note in the log that I may be off by a day or three because I got delayed in logging & don't remember exactly.

I doubt most people would have a problem with that, although I have already noticed via reading the forums that there are SOME out there who take this a wee bit too seriously. :D

or use a PDA with cachemate - tap, tap, tap, done and saved (date, time, found, comments, TL, etc...) very efficient and you can just throw it in your pocket. eventually, you will remember to log them, then you just look at your "found" file and log away.

Log away? ---never mind--- :D

Playing for the numbers might impress a lot of people, but it ultimately satisfies only one (if that.)

I've been here since March of 2002, and now have 75 finds. I commented on that to my wife recently, and she pointed out that, of those 75, perhaps 5 of them have been "solo". For all of the rest, I've taken someone else with me, and that has made it pretty slow going.

I'm probably on track to be the slowest active player to hit 100 caches, but I'd sooner climb up a mountain in Idaho with my wife and daughter to find a neat cache with a million dollar view than run up a trail collecting easy find after easy find to bolster my numbers.

Edited by adjensen

:huh: Hello

just milling through a few forums, live in MI, a few crazy geocachers here have over the 3000+ mark

and counting they are families and or retired, we have thousands of caches in our area. I am amazed

but could think of worst things to do with your life. what a way to get outdoors and enjoy, I love the caches

that get you to somewhere I havent been. Just my 2 cents.

It is interesting...i can spend a whole day finding one cache (or three days finding none like this weekend when i attempted a cache out on a glacier...) while some other cachers can rack up 20 in the same amount of time...I don't find the 20 caches nearly as rewarding...I guess it comes down to why you do geocaching in the first place...is it to enjoy the outdoors or to be able to brag that you have found 6000 caches...I prefer the former.

I don't care about other people's numbers in the least. Pretty much the only reason I log them is to keep track of which ones I have and haven't done, although the recent thread on Do You remember your significant finds brought up another good point about it, I can't remember my 20th find or my 30th right off the top of my head, having an online physical log is nice for that. Occassionally I go back through all my finds and read the old logs I made, as I am coming up on 1 year in this sport it's cool to look back at my beginnings. It's cool to have a record of all my experiences over this past year in this hobby. (I really appreicate the DNF logs now, I might have otherwise forgotten those unsuccessful trips)

I've never understood the obsession with putting all the numbers you've found in your profile, states you visited, one day records, etc that people put in their profiles. I do keep mental notes of the locals numbers because when their number changes I like to look at their recent finds and see what they've been up to, but that's about it.

Days like today I was out I had maybe a dozen unfound caches within 10 miles of the area I was in but I only claimed one today because I was bored and didn't see the need to find a bunch more. Heck when I was in DC visiting virtuals I quit looking for the second answer for Mtn-Man's FDR Memorial virtual just because it wasn't any fun to look for the answer just to verify a find when I would rather be enjoying the spot. So I did, I quit looking and enjoyed the spot rather than worrying about another stupid smiley and never once regretted it either.

When it gets to be all about the numbers and not the experience is when it's not fun anymore. Most in my area do enjoy the numbers side of it, good for them. I'm more of a hider than a finder anyway. I spend more time worrying about where to find cool new cache locations then I do looking for ones already hidden.

Well ive been wondering the same thing and figured out 2 things during my search for the truth and the ones with the high numbers prob. allready know this but I will share it for those of you who would like to be just as immoral and make it more than a fun sport/game. Iits a loophole that should have never worked I believe alot of them have loged archived caches I havnt done to much research on this but I know it does work first hand I tested my therory I backdated the Found It date and it let me log it. Secondly try and list all caches by someone with a really high amountof finds, im not sure what the amount is but the server times out and will not let you view them, therefore there is no proof that the persons did this. So hopefully someone from GC.com can fix this problem after reading this. Also another way to help prevent this is cache owners actually get youre logs and check who signed and loged them at least every couple months, and then you have all the right to delete the finds of anyone who hasnt signed the log. This is extra work but hay it is worth it. And what is the sense of a log if you just through it out. Now Im just getting to my 50 mark Im new and want to have fun. I will go back and delete the find that I never did 4yrs before I was even a member or even knew about geocaching and go on my merry way. Thank you all. I may become a fourum addict instead of a caching addict. Richard Bouvia of TheBouvia's

I think the question was/is: what about teams consisting of multiple people, say John, Mary, George, Helen and Pete...one day John and Mary go caching and log on the team account, the next day maybe they go hunting all together, and yet another time George and Helen go caching...again using the team account. I know that happens (even here in Italy) and nobody really seems to care about it (not here anyway), nor is anyone making a secret of it. Of course it does screw up the game for number freaks :laughing:

Sure it happens.... but in the specific example that is the focus of the OP there is a particular team member that participates in virtually every find.

Briansnat described it very well way back in the beginning of the thread with the following... "Some high numbers cachers obtain those numbers through an almost singular focus on geocaching. They are sometimes retired, or not employed, or they have jobs that give them a lot of free time and that time is spent on geocaching.

Others have a very lose interpretation of what constitutes a find and that often doesn't involve finding a geocache. "