really high numbers of cache finds

kdv

Browsing through the forum I came across mentions of people/teams with thousands and thousands of cache finds. I did a quick calculation: 16.000 caches since early 2001 means an AVERAGE of 8 finds a day. How can this be achieved by a single person? Maybe the answer lies in the cache density of the area you live in? I live in Italy and nationwide currently 811 caches exist.. But even with a much higher cache density, I guess after the first 10k finds or so, even an American would have to start doing some serious mileage to get to fresh ones. An average of 8 caches a day for five years, I don't get it. What am I doing wrong? :shocked:

Katja

*Getting ready to log my 21st find, daily average 0.2 *

:shocked:

Well, you have to ask yourself these questions:

1) Do you have a job?

2) Do you plan vacations/daytrips/etc around geocaching? For instance would you plan a 3 day trip to a state with the sole purpose of finding 200 caches over those three days? If so, do you sleep much during those three days, or is a couple hours in the car (because it's less efficient to drive back to the hotel) enough?

3) Do you spend hours and hours planning out geocaching so you know exactly where to turn/park/which trails to take..etc? Do you get a volunteer who knows the area to drive you around to be even more efficient?

4) Do you enjoy other things besides geocaching that might take up some of your day?

Now I'm not saying that certain people live eat and breathe geocaching 24/7, but there are definitely those who are more...uhm....dedicated than what I would call the normal, everday geocacher.

Edited by ThePropers

I'm not mentioning any names, so I am just going to mention a mentality:

1) Divorce your wife (One less voice to spew logic in your direction)

2) Take your dog and move into your truck

3) Sell your house and use the money for gas/food

4) stop every couple of days in a town to stock up and use the public library to log all your finds

now THAT is dedication!

Of course living in a high density cache zone also works.

Edited by Juicepig

Some high numbers cachers obtain those numbers thorugh an almost singular focus on geocaching. They are sometimes retired, or not employed, or they have jobs that give them a lot of free time and that time is spent on geocaching.

Others have a very lose interpretation of what constitutes a find and that often doesn't involve finding a geocache.

Edited by briansnat

4) stop every couple of days in a town to stock up and use the public library to log all your finds

now THAT is dedication!

5) Quit your job. Be sure to grab your boss's tie, pull him close, tell him to take that job and shove it, then throw your coffee on him, smash his picture of his wife and kids, and flip his desk over on the way out. Drive your boss around the office in a golf cart banging on his bald head like a bongo drum. Right before you leave, get on the loudspeaker and announce everything you hate about each coworker. Be sure to mention their fat wife/husband and uglier-than-sin kids. That way, even if you ever do need money, you won't be tempted to go get your job back. Leave no bridge unburnt.

Edited by ThePropers

Some high numbers cachers obtain those numbers thorugh an almost singular focus on geocaching. They are sometimes retired, or not employed, or they have jobs that give them a lot of free time and that time is spent on geocaching.

Exactly....not that there's anything wrong with that. Do whatever makes you happy (unless of course, and I think this goes without saying, it involves running over kittens).

now THAT is dedication!

5) Quit your job. Be sure to grab your boss's tie, pull him close, tell him to take that job and shove it, then throw your coffee on him, smash his picture of his wife and kids, and flip his desk over on the way out. Drive your boss around the office in a golf cart banging on his bald head like a bongo drum. Right before you leave, get on the loudspeaker and announce everything you hate about each coworker. Be sure to mention their fat wife/husband and uglier-than-sin kids. That way, even if you ever do need money, you won't be tempted to go get your job back. Leave no bridge unburnt.

Sounds good to me! :shocked:

Here's a couple I've witnessed personally by a certain high numbers finder:

#6) Don't necessarily close up the cache fully after signing the log, after all, that takes an extra minute or two to do -- waste of time! Leave it ajar so rain can fill it up before the next cacher gets there to clean up the mess you caused.

#7) If you can't find a micro after a minute or two, put your own out! This might mean there are now two micro containers and that other finders behind you don't log the actual cache, but hey, you signed the log of the one you placed, that's a FIND!

Seriously, my respect has to be earned. There are finders with high numbers that I respect and finders with low numbers that I respect. A certain high numbers cacher I don't have a ton of respect for, because I've personally seen the havoc they've caused on a cache run in my area when I unknowingly hit the same caches over a period of two days as they just had, including caches in my hometown and an area about half hour away across the state line. This combined with suspect finds and hero worship leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Numbers are never that important that you can't take care with someone else's cache that they've generously placed for our pleasure to seek!

Some people are just numbers hounds, they love to see the little smily number keep going up as fast as possible.

I have gone geocaching for half a day with cccooperagency, we had a little geocaravan going, I just couldn't keep up with her pace overall, I was always the last car in the group, and I'm not a super fast driver, so whenever I would be pulling up on a spot, she would more than likely already have been out of the car, gotten to the cache container, signed the log, and was heading back. After half a day of that, I was run ragged, and I'm not a small guy so jumping in and out of my pickup was getting stressful as well.

She was a great person, but that numbers hunting, really isn't for me.

Browsing through the forum I came across mentions of people/teams with thousands and thousands of cache finds. I did a quick calculation: 16.000 caches since early 2001 means an AVERAGE of 8 finds a day. How can this be achieved by a single person? Maybe the answer lies in the cache density of the area you live in? I live in Italy and nationwide currently 811 caches exist.. But even with a much higher cache density, I guess after the first 10k finds or so, even an American would have to start doing some serious mileage to get to fresh ones. An average of 8 caches a day for five years, I don't get it. What am I doing wrong? :D

Katja

I think the OP deserves at least one sincere reply don't you? :shocked:

No wonder American get the reputation of being obnoxious horrible tourists. :unsure:

You are correct, cache density is pretty important to a numbers run, or maintianing a high find count.

Another aspect is the amount of planning and researching. At least 2x/year I go on a binge with some of my geopals. We visit an area that is cache dense, we map out our routes ahead of time to minimize backtracking, uturns and even lefts across traffic sometimes. We exclude puzzles and multis (unless they appear to be simple two stagers) from our targeted caches. We run two laptops in the van-one with mapping software (streets and trips) and an external antenna for better accuracy. The other runs GSAK so we know what the container is, any hints, or any nudges posted in other finders logs before we arrive at the next location.

The third aspect is our total and fanatical devotion to finding caches. We start early in the morning and run for 12-15 hours, stopping only for fuel, and high energy sugary snacks. One person signs for the group, and we always take care to replace the container properly. We can usually keep this up for 3-4 days, and have an awful lot of fun hanging out together doing this. :blink::huh::D

PS no kittens are harmed, no containers are signed on the exterior (unless they are flat magnets), and no missing container are replaced (but full logsheets are). We also do not spend a lot of time looking for any one cache. :D

BTW Katja, one of my favorite cache days of all time came an a day when I only found two caches-but one was in the Roman Forum. :D

Wow, wimseyguy.. that's pretty hard-core :shocked: I think I'd be up for joining a group like that... once, maybe. I think I'd be too exhausted after that, though.

The local high-finders in my area have 1,500 finds or so. I think once you hit a critical mass (e.g. when you've pretty much done every cache in the city) it becomes easier, you can pick off the new ones as the notifications trickle in, and then do road trips every now and then.

Wow, wimseyguy.. that's pretty hard-core :shocked: I think I'd be up for joining a group like that... once, maybe. I think I'd be too exhausted after that, though.

The local high-finders in my area have 1,500 finds or so. I think once you hit a critical mass (e.g. when you've pretty much done every cache in the city) it becomes easier, you can pick off the new ones as the notifications trickle in, and then do road trips every now and then.

Actually, it becomes harder to do numbers runs when you get up that high, because you have to travel to find groups of caches. You might get 5 popping up in your area as "new" but they could be 10-20 miles apart, so it'll take a whole day to go get just a few.

I'm not big on numbers runs. I've been on a couple, but haven't had much fun. More fun with 1 or 2 (at the most) people, but when you get up to 4 or 5 people together, I don't really dig it.

We have a local cacher who just celebrated his one year caching anniversary by finding his 1500th cache. He works full time, too. That's a lot of caching in my opinion. I had around 620 caches on my one year anniversary and that was plenty to keep me happy. I don't have the dedication to rack up 1500 caches that fast and I have other things I like to do in addition to caching. If I was trying for the big numbers I don't think I'd enjoy it nearly as much and, if I'm not enjoying it, there's no reason for me to be caching. These days I can hardly afford the gas to cache at all anyway!

Numbers only mean anything to the person attaining them. If they are happy caching and making big numbers then that is great. If folks are happy having 120 finds after 3 years of caching then that is great as well. It's about what makes YOU happy with caching.

Numbers only mean anything to the person attaining them. If they are happy caching and making big numbers then that is great. If folks are happy having 120 finds after 3 years of caching then that is great as well. It's about what makes YOU happy with caching.

dingdingding we have a winner!!!! :unsure:

Notice I said I only do this a few time a year. That's why it is fun for me. I could never, nor would never cache like that all the time. Saturday I went out solo, found (and DNF'd) a few that required a little hiking before it got too hot, and then switched gears into PNG mode until it was time to go back home and get ready for my evening plans.

I will confess to being a much more social cacher than I was when I first started. :shocked:

I've always wondered if some of the "teams" I've heard of with really high numbers go out separately and log finds under the team name.

NM's highest # cacher is an individual with well over 2,000 finds, but I know of others that're a husband and a wife, or some other combination, who'll be caching in 2 different places, but log the finds under one name.

Numbers only mean anything to the person attaining them. .

If that's the case then why are there numerous threads in the regional forums congratulating individuals for reaching X number of finds? Why are events held to honor geocachers who reach a certain number? Why are there geocoins for certain milestones? Why are high numbers cachers treated like celebrities when they attend events, with people going out of their way to meet them and have their photo taken with them?

... BTW Katja, one of my favorite cache days of all time came an a day when I only found two caches-but one was in the Roman Forum. :shocked:

One of my favorite caching days was also just a couple finds, one of which was in the Forum (and one DNF there).

Regarding high finds, it's not that hard if you are committed to the game and live in a cache dense area.

Do you, with some regularity, find caches on the way to and from work and during lunch?

Do you spend at least one weekend day every week finding as many as you can?

Do you cache heavily on vacation and when you are on business trips?

If that's the case then why are there numerous threads in the regional forums congratulating individuals for reaching X number of finds? Why are events held to honor geocachers who reach a certain number? Why are there geocoins for certain milestones? Why are high numbers cachers treated like celebrities when they attend events, with people going out of their way to meet them and have their photo taken with them?

Don't forget the solid gold 24K ammo can and I've just recently heard of the "Thousandaire Club" which I was unaware of.

Don't forget the solid gold 24K ammo can and I've just recently heard of the "Thousandaire Club" which I was unaware of.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but I've seen "gold" ammo cans awarded for a thousand finds.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but I've seen "gold" ammo cans awarded for a thousand finds.

I think they usually come stocked with cheapo AAs.

Yes, that's what I was referring to with the ammo cans. Maybe the Thousandaire Club is a PA thing....like I said, I only just heard about it but I guess it's an event you have to have 1000 finds to go to (so I'm assuming it's not listed on the site).

I'm not invited this year obviously, so I have made the logical conclusion that they must meet in a secret location and perform some kindof strange rituals involving the blood of kittens that grant them caching prowess for the coming year. That's only a guess though. But I believe they're like the Stonecutters of geocaching:

Who controls the British Crown?

Who keeps the metric system down?

They do, they do.

Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?

Who keeps the Martians under wraps?

They do, they do.

Who holds back the electric car?

Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?

They do, they do.

Who robs cave fish of their sight?

Who rigs every Oscar night?

They do, they do.

EDIT: If I suddenly disappear for disclosing this event, you'll know which group of cachers to blame. Hopefully it's not some big secret and now I'll never be invited. Like giving away a magician's secret.

Edited by ThePropers

What am I doing wrong? :unsure:

Why are you visiting the forums? go caching!! :shocked:

To get an exact picture I think you'd need to shadow one of them for a long period, but generally I think the people that have HUGE numbers of finds just geocache constantly. Nights, evenings, weekends, all the free time you go. And also that they cache anywhere and everywhere they go, if they travel for business or pleasure they cache along way.

Edited by welch

I wonder the same thing. I don't respect people for having high find numbers - there are too many factors involved, and most of the time it's not a matter of how GOOD a cacher is (whatever that means), it's a function of how much time they dedicate to caching.

(Note: one the locals I respect the most because of his hides and the things he does for the locals also has one of the lowest find counts)

Like others, I have many other hobbies that compete with caching for my time.

So, for the OP:

As others have said, it's cache density, a passion for caching, and the time to do it.

I guess that maybe by my 1st anny I'l have 20 or 30. Numbers mean nothing to me. To me and my wife, its more about the trip, or the hike, or the ride. So far we have logged 3 finds. One was a quick 1/4 mile hike with a nice ride attached. The 2nd was a nice trail ride with a 100 foot walk and the 3rd was a nice 3 1/2 mile round trip hike. Heck I have a couple of hides that are less than 2 miles from the house that I havent gone after. Saving those in case I need to drop a coin or TB.

I protest this, by not treating these cachers any differently then any other cachers. I have much more respect for cachers with stats that are almost exclusively high terrain finds. Any group of cachers can find a 100 "1/1" park and grabs in a day or two, but it takes a real outdoorsman to find 100 3* plus terrain caches.

In the end, I hunt the caches I like to hunt, and ignore those I don't. I know how to rack up a big number day, but chose not to.

I've wondered about this. In our area there is a family with young children that has thousands of finds. They typically find 20-50 in a day which seems next to impossible with little monkeys in tow. I've got 2 of my own and they lose interest after 10-15 on a good day. They also cache day after day after day. Not sure how they make a living. But I also question the validity of the numbers. More than once I've seen this team log notes as finds, so they get multiples smileys for the same cache. I've also seen them log finds when they are with the owner as the owner places the cache. That's not a find IMO. Since we're new to caching watching the numbers rise is kind of fun, but becoming less so quickly. I don't care about numbers if it means I have to waste time on another guard rail cache or micro in the weeds.

I must say that all sounds very stressful to me! Besides, here in Italy there would definitely be no way one could log 15-20 caches in one day, let alone 40-50! As an indication: the first page with the 20 caches closest to my home coordinates go up to 20.8 km, of which 8 caches I have placed myself :huh: I tried some random US coordinates and you generally get almost 200 caches that are closer than 20.8 km!

I used to have a lot of "cache hero awe" for some of the high number cachers around NC and SC and then I met some of them and it completely put me off of caching for a little while. Then I thought why let them spoil my fun.

Who is that much in awe of another cacher that they go out of their way to have there pic taken with another cacher?

Briansnat, find me at GW5 and I will let you have your picture taken with me! :huh: $5 is the going rate.

Oh I actually do have X number of finds.

X

There are lots of reasons for the high cache find count, Katja, all of which are circumstantial to the particular cacher. It may be local cache density, employment status, whether unemployed or in a job that causes city to city travel. It could be a cacher has large financial resources, or just a mania for geocaching. As a new Stargate owner, your circumstances are going to cause your TB and geocoin icon count to rise higher than other local cachers. Everyone's situation is different; by Canadian standards, my local area is cache-dense. Compared to some places in the USA, we are not cache-dense at all.

Browsing through the forum I came across mentions of people/teams with thousands and thousands of cache finds. I did a quick calculation: 16.000 caches since early 2001 means an AVERAGE of 8 finds a day. How can this be achieved by a single person? Maybe the answer lies in the cache density of the area you live in? I live in Italy and nationwide currently 811 caches exist.. But even with a much higher cache density, I guess after the first 10k finds or so, even an American would have to start doing some serious mileage to get to fresh ones. An average of 8 caches a day for five years, I don't get it. What am I doing wrong? B)

Katja

You aren't doing anything wrong. You can't buy anything with find counts, so you aren't losing anything. B)

Cache density is the biggest factor, IMHO. If you want more caches, promote it in your area and hope for more hides.

Preparation is the next important factor. Studying maps and plotting routes ahead of time really do help. Most of the battle for finding a cache is figuring out how to get there.

Relying on tools is the next important. Having autorouting or real-time maps from a laptop or a navigation system can cut preparation time and allow you to improvise with less chances of mistakes.

Managing your time is a factor, but in my opnion, the least important. Retired and single folks definitely have the advantage here, since they don't have as much constraints as those who have to report back. :huh: Also, spending that extra 3 minutes for doing trades or writing your thoughts in the log book will amount to 1 hour "wasted" after 20 finds, but all that is meaningless if you have to drive a long distance or get lost while going to the next cache.

Most of the angst comes from people who try to manage their time too much, by not rehiding caches properly, or doing "shortcuts" that I won't mention in this thread. ;)

Browsing through the forum I came across mentions of people/teams with thousands and thousands of cache finds. I did a quick calculation: 16.000 caches since early 2001 means an AVERAGE of 8 finds a day. How can this be achieved by a single person? Maybe the answer lies in the cache density of the area you live in? I live in Italy and nationwide currently 811 caches exist.. But even with a much higher cache density, I guess after the first 10k finds or so, even an American would have to start doing some serious mileage to get to fresh ones. An average of 8 caches a day for five years, I don't get it. What am I doing wrong? :huh:

Katja

To some people, geocaching IS their life. As budd-rdc said, preparation is everything. Drive 30 miles for a few caches before work. If they're lucky, one or two during lunch. Another thirty mile drive after work. Doesn't give them much time for anything else. If that's what you want from life, go for it! I do wonder about those people. For me, geocaching is an obsessive hobby. ;) I'm averaging about one find a day. Or better put, seven finds on a weekend. 896 finds since July 2004.

Of course, I have an advantage. There are 2428 active caches within fifty miles of my home coordinates. (Well, that includes eighteen of my hides.) The disadvantage is that I live in northwest New Jersey, and those fifty miles include some of the worst traffic jams imaginable. Sure, fifty miles east is Suffolk County, Long Island, New York. That would be about a two hour drive on a weekend, not to mention tolls. No thanks. I seldom cache after work. Those fifty miles also include parts of northeast Pennsylvania, much of downstate upstate New York, and even parts of Connecticut.

Yes, we have a prolific local cachefinder who thinks nothing of a thirty mile drive before work to find a few caches. More's the power to him! But, that's not my life. I'll putter around, and hopefully find about seven caches a week. Extensive caching on weekends! It gets me out of the house, and (sometimes) brings me to spectacular places that I would never have experienced otherwise.

Cachers with high numbers relative to their location all have a singular focus on caching. If you have 100 caches in your area and your rival or friend lives next door and has 200 finds, you can be it's not because of "cache desinity" it's because when they visited their friend they brought their GPS and went caching too. If they see a new cache they get up early and go get it before work and so on.

It's the passion.

I just received a note on one of my caches yesterday by a high numbers cacher:

"As part of my formal apology to fellow cachers I am going through and deleting logs. This is one of the caches that had a bogus log. This cache was not found by me nor (***cacher name deleted***). I apologize for any inconvience that this may have caused anyone."

So there is a story behind that apparently, but I am not informed of the situation.... :huh:

There are many ways to rack up big numbers, I guess.

B)

Well, you have to ask yourself these questions:

1) Do you have a job?

2) Do you plan vacations/daytrips/etc around geocaching? For instance would you plan a 3 day trip to a state with the sole purpose of finding 200 caches over those three days? If so, do you sleep much during those three days, or is a couple hours in the car (because it's less efficient to drive back to the hotel) enough?

3) Do you spend hours and hours planning out geocaching so you know exactly where to turn/park/which trails to take..etc? Do you get a volunteer who knows the area to drive you around to be even more efficient?

4) Do you enjoy other things besides geocaching that might take up some of your day?

Now I'm not saying that certain people live eat and breathe geocaching 24/7, but there are definitely those who are more...uhm....dedicated than what I would call the normal, everday geocacher.

Oh come on, as if there was really anyone who cached as her full time "job", refuses to stop for food (and sometimes even bathroom breaks) during cache runs, sleeps in her Jeep more often than in her own bed, takes caching vacations to places such as Tenessee, North Carolina, Ohio, and Texas all within a few months of each other, and has caching buddies in pretty much every section of every state ready to go out with her at a moments notice. Puh-leeeaaase!! No way!! No one could possibly fit that description. :huh:

But I'll bet if there WAS such a person, she'd have the most recorded finds on this web site. Probably around 16,500 or so... (just a guess) ;)

One of my biggest problems is that when a group of people go on a cahce hunt, one person finds it, and the rest of them log it as a find. I dont think thats right. If I go out with one other cacher and he finds it, I didnt find it so why should I count it?

Its the competative nature of the most Americans to try to out do each other. Look at TV, sports, reality shows....they both show nothing but competition. So, as a result, we have compettion to see who can find the most caches.

Myself, I just started about a month ago. And the 2 best things I like about caching is, doing something with my wife that we both enjoy outdoors, and getting exercise. I actully prefer the caches that have a litle bit of a hike involved in getting to them.

I have caught one of the ultra high numbers cachers cheating on one of my caches, they really got pissed off because when they place their own container when they did not find mine they got real upset when I deleted their log. One person has told this person that if they ever log a find on one of their caches again they will delete the find. I may do the same.

This same cacher has been known to meet with a local cacher in and area and then have that person show himm were all the caches are, he evan has the person take him to finals on multis so that he does not have to go look for himself.

As far as I am conserened the ultra high numbers cachers do by cheating, they do things like like loging finds on their own caches.

I am going to delete another find that a geojerk claimed on one of mine caches.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

One of my biggest problems is that when a group of people go on a cahce hunt, one person finds it, and the rest of them log it as a find. I dont think thats right. If I go out with one other cacher and he finds it, I didnt find it so why should I count it?

Its the competative nature of the most Americans to try to out do each other. Look at TV, sports, reality shows....they both show nothing but competition. So, as a result, we have compettion to see who can find the most caches.

Myself, I just started about a month ago. And the 2 best things I like about caching is, doing something with my wife that we both enjoy outdoors, and getting exercise. I actully prefer the caches that have a litle bit of a hike involved in getting to them.

How are we defining group? 2 or more, 3, 5, 10?

Some of the best times I have had caching has been doin "power runs" with a buddy of mine. Our idea of this may be 10 or 15 caches at once so not the 100 caches in 24 hours type thing, but we have a GREAT time. Slthough we do hang back and wait for the other person to find it if we find it first. (There's that NYAH NYAH feeling of power there.)

But yes if you go out with another cacher and they find it you can count the find as well cause you were there at the cache at least you went on the hunt and participated.

X

When I'm hunting a cache with my wife or a friend and I suggest that my partner "check out that hollow tree over there" while I crawl into a crevice. If she finds the cache, why shouldn't I log it? Odds are I would have been to that hollow tree in a few minutes anyway.

What if I'm standing next to a crevice with my wife and she actually has the flashlight and sees it first. I can't log that?

Or how about like what happened last weekend when my wife yelled to me from about 75 feet away, "Look at that stump right in front of you". Sure enough the cache was there. Who gets that find?

When I'm hunting with a team, I was part of the team that found it and it was a team effort. If I were alone I would have checked all the sites by myself and eventually and found it anyway.

That said, if I was not a part of the hunt, I will not log it. If I sat on a rock and ate a sandwich while the team hunted the cache, I will log a note instead of a find, but if I'm an integral part of the search I certainly will count the find.

Anyway, usually when I geocache with a group, each person gets a chance to actually find the cache. The first finder will spot the cache, walk away, sit down and declare he found it. As each person finds it, he will follow suit until everyone has found it. Ths is a fairly common practice.

Edited by briansnat

I think the question was/is: what about teams consisting of multiple people, say John, Mary, George, Helen and Pete...one day John and Mary go caching and log on the team account, the next day maybe they go hunting all together, and yet another time George and Helen go caching...again using the team account. I know that happens (even here in Italy) and nobody really seems to care about it (not here anyway), nor is anyone making a secret of it. Of course it does screw up the game for number freaks ;)

Seriously, my respect has to be earned.

My respect can be bought. Send me a PM for my paypal address.

Mine can't be bought...but it can be rented to the highest bidder!

One of the nice things about Geocaching is you can do it whatever way makes you happy.

Want big numbers? Get out there and go for it.

Like puzzles? we got those.

Want a challenging hike? Come on down!

Do you find yourself sitting in Walmart parking lots waiting on the wife? Have I got a deal for you!

Sounds like a used car commercial.

As a buddy of mine always says "It don't make me no never mind!" i.e. Do it the way you like and don't worry about how the others do it.

hahah thats awesome! reminds me of something i would do...thx for the smile thepropers!