GEOCACHING GAME IDEAS

FlagFinder

look im at a brain meltdown i dont have any geo game ideas and i need some. my church youth group wants to do a geocaching event and they need ideas on games you can do with geocaching now the game will have to work with groups of 5-8 people per gps and will have to be suitable for a church i will be thankful of all your imput :laughing:

Our local RCGDS event (yesterday) had a game that reminded me of car rallys I used to do with my youth group in high school. There was a page with coordinates in the local area, and directions for each location. For most there was no actual cache, just instructions for information to gather or something to do there. (count the palm trees, gather posted information, collect a business card, etc) A few actual loggable caches were included in the list (hidden by the event organizer), and at these you also had to collect a card (worth varying points) or write down a clue word. Each completed task was worth a certain number of points. At the end of the time limit we returned to the park and tallied our points. With youth, you would of course need responsible volunteer drivers for each team and a GPS for each car.

A modification on this. I recently participated with a youth group in a photo scavenger hunt. Had to go to various locations and take a picture there. HOWEVER, you had to read the directions to get full credit. In most cases, the picture had to be specific. Photo of the location, photo of YOU in a particilar place at the location, etc. Just running up and snapping a picture might not get you full points.

Heres some we wrote up for a potential event cache

Capture the Flag

Space - Large

Type - Strenuous

Teams - Half Troop

Formation - Informal

Equipment - Two Signal Flags

Each team has its own territory in which cachers are free to move as they please, but on which opponents enter at their peril. The territories are separated by a boundary line such as a brook or a trail, etc. Any cachers crossing this line may be captured by the enemy.

The teams assemble close together at a starting point near the center of the line, each team in its own territory. On a signal the teams proceed to set their flags at any point within an agreed distance of the starting point it is permissible to place them as inconspicuously as possible.

After five minutes another signal is given for start of game. Each team texts the co ordinates of the hidden flag to the other teamThe object now is to enter the enemy's territory, capture the flag, and carry it across the line into home territory without being caught. Cacher may be posted to guard the flag, but not get nearer than 50 feet to it, unless an enemy cacher goes within the 50-foot circle. They may then follow him.

Any cacher found in the enemy's territory may be captured by grasping him long enough for the captor to say "Caught!" three times. When a cacher is captured he must hand over his GPS and return to the start point for the next game..

If the flag is successfully captured, it must be carried across the line into home territory. If the raider is caught before he reaches home, the flag is set up again at the point where it was rescued and the game as before. If niether side captures the enemy's flag within the time agreed up on (say, 1/2 hour) the game is won by the team with the most enemy GPS’r

Geocaching Skills 1

The organiser hidesthe flags and gives the 2 teams the co ordinates for their own flags. Once each team locates its flag they will also the co ordinates to the enemy flagThe game then procedes as usual.

Geocaching skills 2

Many flags are hidden in each area and the teams have ½ an hour to find as many as possible of the correct coloured flags.

Heres some we wrote up for a potential event cache

Capture the Flag

Space - Large

Type - Strenuous

Teams - Half Troop

Formation - Informal

Equipment - Two Signal Flags

Each team has its own territory in which cachers are free to move as they please, but on which opponents enter at their peril. The territories are separated by a boundary line such as a brook or a trail, etc. Any cachers crossing this line may be captured by the enemy.

The teams assemble close together at a starting point near the center of the line, each team in its own territory. On a signal the teams proceed to set their flags at any point within an agreed distance of the starting point it is permissible to place them as inconspicuously as possible.

After five minutes another signal is given for start of game. Each team texts the co ordinates of the hidden flag to the other teamThe object now is to enter the enemy's territory, capture the flag, and carry it across the line into home territory without being caught. Cacher may be posted to guard the flag, but not get nearer than 50 feet to it, unless an enemy cacher goes within the 50-foot circle. They may then follow him.

Any cacher found in the enemy's territory may be captured by grasping him long enough for the captor to say "Caught!" three times. When a cacher is captured he must hand over his GPS and return to the start point for the next game..

If the flag is successfully captured, it must be carried across the line into home territory. If the raider is caught before he reaches home, the flag is set up again at the point where it was rescued and the game as before. If niether side captures the enemy's flag within the time agreed up on (say, 1/2 hour) the game is won by the team with the most enemy GPS’r

Geocaching Skills 1

The organiser hidesthe flags and gives the 2 teams the co ordinates for their own flags. Once each team locates its flag they will also the co ordinates to the enemy flagThe game then procedes as usual.

Geocaching skills 2

Many flags are hidden in each area and the teams have ½ an hour to find as many as possible of the correct coloured flags.

we dont have enough gpsrs to do that and my church already plays capture the flag without gpsrs so that may not work as well

At an event I held this past weekend, I used a well known board game "who did it, where did they do it, what did they do it with" you can change it to be geocaching related (and not about an "it/murder") by using, who hid the cache, what kind of cache is it and where did they hide it. I had 18 cache locations and created a small card for each location. 3 of the cards had a sticker that read "i did it" so that the cachers could identify the correct answers. The cachers went out in teams for this too. Good Luck and have fun!

For a summer camp event I did "The Amazing Race". Granted, it was all on our camp property (100 acres of woods) so it was a little easier to set up, but basically it was like a giant multi. Each stage was hidden in different ways (inside an ammo box, taped under a deck, inside wall of an outhouse, etc. And some stages had different challenges. One had a slingshot and a box of paintball, and you had to shoot 5 targets before you could go. Another had a box of Oreo cookies per team -- your team had to eat the entire box of Oreos before continuing. And so on. The final stage was the "secret" location of the campout spot where we camped out for the night.

For a summer camp event I did "The Amazing Race". Granted, it was all on our camp property (100 acres of woods) so it was a little easier to set up, but basically it was like a giant multi. Each stage was hidden in different ways (inside an ammo box, taped under a deck, inside wall of an outhouse, etc. And some stages had different challenges. One had a slingshot and a box of paintball, and you had to shoot 5 targets before you could go. Another had a box of Oreo cookies per team -- your team had to eat the entire box of Oreos before continuing. And so on. The final stage was the "secret" location of the campout spot where we camped out for the night.

i did somthing like that at my camp i never thought of that :o that would work plus i know a lot of people already know to play but not with a gps that would work ;)

I thought this sounded fun... hide all of the items used for a picnic (spatulas, bowls, coolers, tableclothes, napkins, cups, drinks, be creative the list can be as big as you need it! You can also include games too: batgammon, kickball, t-ball, volleyball, water balloons- brought back unbroken of course ;~}) the final clue would be the actual picnic area with the grills. Each team would have to find as many items as you set. To be fair try to have each team cover the same amout of area or give teams handicaps if needed (for those of us that are a bit slower). Having fun and learning about team work is usually the goal.

I'm currently putting a new geocaching game called "Adventure GeoGolf", now there was a virtual geogolf game - that only required getting as close to the cords. Well that just didn't do it for me, I wanted a traditional multi-cache played on a real patch of land a real golf type course. So I'll have a Caddy Shack cache hide (entrance to the course) where you get your first cords for the 1st hole, then when you find the 1st holes cords - you 'll get the cords for the 2nd and so on. Once you reach the 18th hole you solve a simple problem based on colors collected on the previous holes - this will give you the cords to the final 19th hole (Club House) where the log book is located.

The first course is under construction right now in Dubai, UAE. I'm calling it the "Dubai Desert Dunes" GeoGolf Course Game. You can follow the progress of the development of the first course of it's kind in the World here at the blog for Adventure GoeGolf Game

This GeoGolf Game multi-cache can be recreated anywhere in the World, if you have enough space to create the course, which needs about 2500 sqm to make it like a real golf course. If anyone wants help setting one up of their own, please let me know, I'll see what I can do to assist.

Looking forward to all your comments here and on the blog site.

All the best regards, Daniel