Why do i need a topo package

It gives you a lot more details about the terrain than are built into the unit. This really is helpful cching. On the other hand, I cached for six months or so without it...it wasn't until I loaded a full topo map that I appreciated what I'd been missing.

Agreed. The topo maps are really helpful. You need to decide if you want the Parks package which is finely detailed at 1:20k, or teh general Mapsource Topo package, which is 1:100k. I got teh general package, as it covers the entire United States, not just certain parks. It really is helpful, though 1:20k maps for each state would be sweet if they made them available.

Anyway, do you NEED them? Nope. Are they really useful? Oh my yes.

If you've been a member since '03 you should know. Save the $50, maybe more if you shop for the model you want on ebay. I see you found some today and you're doing fine. :laughing:

You can probably find another cacher that will let you borrow the CD to download if you want to try it out.My $.02 worth. -- Tom Fuller Crescent, OR

I'm not sure about that - you need an unlock code to use the maps, and I certainely wouldn't use one of my two codes just so someone could "try it out".

You can probably find another cacher that will let you borrow the CD to download if you want to try it out.
I'm not sure about that - you need an unlock code to use the maps, and I certainely wouldn't use one of my two codes just so someone could "try it out".

Garmin's US Topo maps don't use the unlock code system - they're totally unlocked straight out the box. Probably against the license agreement :laughing: , but it won't eat up an unlock code.

Do I need topo?? and what is it for when it come to Geocaching??

For my own opinion (summary: you don't need them, but you might find them handy), I'll link back to something I wrote last month in response to another cacher asking the question "What exactly are the topo maps? Do I need that too?" Basically shows an example of the difference between street and topo details, and some thoughts about how I might use the info from a topo map while caching. May give you some ideas about whether it's the type of thing you might find useful.

I find topo to be very useful. It lets you know if there is a stream, cliff, ravine, swamp, lake, hill, etc... between you and the cache. Its great for determining your approach. If you do most of your caching in the woods it can be extremely useful. Its also useful if you're a hiker, hunter, backpacker or ATVer. It does have most roads so can be useful for finding your way around.

Garmin's Mapsource Topo however does not autoroute. To get the full benefit of your 60CSX you will want the City Navigator software. This give you turn by turn directions to any address or destination. It also has a database of over 5 million business, points of interest and services. If you want to know where the nearest shopping mall, hairdresser, restaurant (they even divide it by type of cuisine), theater, hotel, gas station, post office, etc... are, the 60CSX with City Navigator will tell you and give you turn by turn directions there.

Actually the best scenario is to have both. You can run them concurrently in your 60CSX and switch between Topo and City Navigator depending on your needs. If you're hiking in the woods after a cache, switch to Topo. If your gas tank is low and you're looking for the nearest gas station you can switch to CN.

Because the base maps that come with GPS units are not detailed enough to be of any use you will need at least one mapping software package, whether its MS Topo or MS City Navigator.

I find topo to be very useful. It lets you know if there is a stream, cliff, ravine, swamp, lake, hill, etc... between you and the cache. Its great for determining your approach. If you do most of your caching in the woods it can be extremely useful. Its also useful if you're a hiker, hunter, backpacker or ATVer. It does have most roads so can be useful for finding your way around.

Garmin's Mapsource Topo however does not autoroute. To get the full benefit of your 60CSX you will want the City Navigator software. This give you turn by turn directions to any address or destination. It also has a database of over 5 million business, points of interest and services. If you want to know where the nearest shopping mall, hairdresser, restaurant (they even divide it by type of cuisine), theater, hotel, gas station, post office, etc... are, the 60CSX with City Navigator will tell you and give you turn by turn directions there.

Actually the best scenario is to have both. You can run them concurrently in your 60CSX and switch between Topo and City Navigator depending on your needs. If you're hiking in the woods after a cache, switch to Topo. If your gas tank is low and you're looking for the nearest gas station you can switch to CN.

Because the base maps that come with GPS units are not detailed enough to be of any use you will need at least one mapping software package, whether its MS Topo or MS City Navigator.

try DeLorme Topo USA version #6

try DeLorme Topo USA version #6

Which BTW doesn't run on any GPS.