Untraceable cache

Mobythedog

Mobythedog found a cache that has an official Geocache tag and Geocache notice inside. There are notes in the book and lots of stuff. But, the cache is not traceable in the website. How's that work? The location is N 49 46.356 W 94 34.325. It is a nice cache in a very old trappr cabin in the woods. The log book calls it Trapper 1. Mobythedog first found it in July 2006 and prior to that it was visited last on August 9 2005. The nearest listed site is some kilometres north (GCM73R). Has the Trapper 1 been removed from the site list?

Mobythedog

Mobythedog found a cache that has an official Geocache tag and Geocache notice inside. There are notes in the book and lots of stuff. But, the cache is not traceable in the website. How's that work? The location is N 49 46.356 W 94 34.325. It is a nice cache in a very old trappr cabin in the woods. The log book calls it Trapper 1. Mobythedog first found it in July 2006 and prior to that it was visited last on August 9 2005. The nearest listed site is some kilometres north (GCM73R). Has the Trapper 1 been removed from the site list?

Mobythedog

Trapper1 (GCG4W6) was archived on January 31, 2006. The cache owner disabled it on August 15, 2005; the log says that the cache was removed, but since you found it, it apparently wasn't. :laughing:

(Since you actually found it, I would think it would be perfectly valid to log a find on the cache page, even though it has been archived.)

Edited by the hermit crabs

We actually found one Saturday while looking for another cache. It was only about 10-15 feet from the coords listed, and didn't have a name on it, but it had a log book, and was full of trinkets, so, we thought it was the cache we were hunting. We got home and posted a find on it, then realized what we were actually hunting was a MICRO. We found a bucket. Owner of the micro deleted our log, and told us that what we found was actually a cache that was archived over a year ago! Well, I logged a find on the archived one....after all....I DID sign the log! Just sad that a cache was left archived in a cemetery for over a year!

Three times in my caching career I have accidently found caches. Two were active and final locations for local puzzle caches, and the other was an unapproved cache in New York state that was hidden, never approved, and forgotten. I actually thought I had gotten an FTF on a cache yet to be published. All three of those I found while preparing to hide a cache at that particular spot.

- Rev Mike

I found a cache once that had no listing on geocaching.com - we were at a state park, in a parking area, and a trailhead at a super-scenic location with two huge pine trees on either side of the path. I was waiting for the rest of my group to finish their photography, and was looking at the area thinking - "If I were going to place a cache here, I'd put it right about there". And when I looked at my chosen spot, there was a painted camo rubbermaid container. I was extremely excited - it had a logbook, trinkets, etc - but there wasn't a cache listed at those co-ords or anywhere close to them when I got back to computer access. I don't know if it had been archived, or if it was just unlisted originally. But it was still a blast to find a cache that way.

Trapper1 (GCG4W6) was archived on January 31, 2006. The cache owner disabled it on August 15, 2005; the log says that the cache was removed, but since you found it, it apparently wasn't. :P

(Since you actually found it, I would think it would be perfectly valid to log a find on the cache page, even though it has been archived.)

Why not log it? He did find it. My questions, was it where the owner had placed it, or had it migrated? If the owner abandoned it (disabled and left), does it still belong to original owner or Moby? Can Moby adopt if it is a good hide?

We actually found one Saturday while looking for another cache. It was only about 10-15 feet from the coords listed, and didn't have a name on it, but it had a log book, and was full of trinkets, so, we thought it was the cache we were hunting. We got home and posted a find on it, then realized what we were actually hunting was a MICRO. We found a bucket. Owner of the micro deleted our log, and told us that what we found was actually a cache that was archived over a year ago! Well, I logged a find on the archived one....after all....I DID sign the log! Just sad that a cache was left archived in a cemetery for over a year!

True, sad that it sat that long. Where was the owner that should have checked on it? And now, since it is too close to another cache, will the next person please remove it to comply with rules? (I understand .1 mile between caches). And again, same question as above, who is owner since it was abandoned?

Three times in my caching career I have accidently found caches. Two were active and final locations for local puzzle caches, and the other was an unapproved cache in New York state that was hidden, never approved, and forgotten. I actually thought I had gotten an FTF on a cache yet to be published. All three of those I found while preparing to hide a cache at that particular spot.

- Rev Mike

I found a cache once that had no listing on geocaching.com - we were at a state park, in a parking area, and a trailhead at a super-scenic location with two huge pine trees on either side of the path. I was waiting for the rest of my group to finish their photography, and was looking at the area thinking - "If I were going to place a cache here, I'd put it right about there". And when I looked at my chosen spot, there was a painted camo rubbermaid container. I was extremely excited - it had a logbook, trinkets, etc - but there wasn't a cache listed at those co-ords or anywhere close to them when I got back to computer access. I don't know if it had been archived, or if it was just unlisted originally. But it was still a blast to find a cache that way.

Never published, and the owner/placer didn't go get it. Without publishing, unless an id tag is on or in it, finding the owner will be impossible. Time to practice for your next CITO event, hide it in good health. TeamChips, was the logbook ever signed? Checking the profiles of 3-4 signers might give a clue to owner.

One thing to keep in mind. Unmarked caches could very well be listed on another site. Heck, it could have even been placed for a personal game and isn't listed anywhere. Just cuz it's tupperware in the woods doesn't make it part of "our" game.

You are correct.

Also, archived caches cannot be adopted. Adoption is reserved for active caches whose lives are to be continued under new ownership.

Also, archived caches cannot be adopted. Adoption is reserved for active caches whose lives are to be continued under new ownership.

In theory, though, if I found a cache in the woods that had been "archived" on this site, I could create a new cache listing with the same coordinates and even leave the original container still out there. Original container, new listing.

Assuming the placement is still OK according to today's guidelines.

Hello all

Sort of on the topic...

1: How does one adopt a cache, where is the form located on the site to do this? We are currentlly talking to the owner of a few who wants to give them up as they are no longer in the area often enough.

2: And once adopted can people refind it and log as a new find? or FTF?

3: Can you rehide it within a few feet of original location and change coords?

Mobythedog

Trapper1 (GCG4W6) was archived on January 31, 2006. The cache owner disabled it on August 15, 2005; the log says that the cache was removed, but since you found it, it apparently wasn't. <_<

They should be prepared for the "cache cops" on another thread to criticize them.

Mobythedog

Trapper1 (GCG4W6) was archived on January 31, 2006. The cache owner disabled it on August 15, 2005; the log says that the cache was removed, but since you found it, it apparently wasn't. <_<

They should be prepared for the "cache cops" on another thread to criticize them.

Nah, they'll be fine--they did find the actual cache and signed the log, too, didn't they? Nothing to criticize there.

Now the person that might see some criticism is the cache owner, who said they removed it, but forgot to actually take care of that little task.