Caching in the Caribbean

Shop99er

We will find ourselves on a Eastern Caribbean cruise in January. Instead of the ship tours we thought we might cache each island. Has anyone cached the following ports?

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Philipsburg, St. Maartin

St. John, Antigua

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Nassau, Bahamas

Haven't. But would love to do it if ever had the chance. I just google earth searched San Juan, Puerto Rico and found lots of caches. Expect the other ports to be similar. If I was in your position I'd research each of the destinations. Hilly or flat. Large or small areas to cover. Length of stays. Then would determine best means of transport to use. Walking, bicycles, motor scooters or cars. After that, through online resources, make arrangements for renting selections in advance if required.

One thing I'd make sure. That I would have bigger tales to tell than those cruise passengers that went on the organised tours; ie. covering more things to be seen and done. :laughing:

We will find ourselves on a Eastern Caribbean cruise in January. Instead of the ship tours we thought we might cache each island. Has anyone cached the following ports?

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Philipsburg, St. Maartin

St. John, Antigua

Nassau, Bahamas

Took a cruise last summer and bagged on on the cruise line's "private" island in the Berry Islands. A great adventure.

Was prepared to do several in Nassau (print outs and Garmin in the pocket), but SWMBO had a different idea and we went on a tour and shopping with the kids. Had a great time anyway. (I keep telling myself that.)

Hi

I'm from Puerto Rico, there are around 40+ caches in the island. In San Juan were all the cruises arrive you can find around 8 caches, all of them less than a mile. The longest walk will be 20 minutes (if you dont stop at the shops :huh: )

Here is a list:

Squeaking Trees (GCXB36)

Luis Munoz Rivera Park (GCXB34)

Old San Juan Delights (GCWA6Q)

La Rogativa (GCW8AW)

Pazzizi (GCW8AM)

Kitty Chairs (GCW8B3)

El Morro (GCW29J)

Old San Juan Secret Garden (GCVZYH)

Enjoy your geocruise

DELMORAL

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Philipsburg, St. Maartin

St. John, Antigua

Nassau, Bahamas

In Antigua we went to Devil's Bridge No 2, which was well worth the trip across the island (my log is at http://tinyurl.com/lw2bh). We also really enjoyed the Fort Berkley cache that day (my husband's log is at http://tinyurl.com/mbczk).

In St. Thomas we didn't cache since we went on the "BOB" excursion. What a blast! It was like riding a motorcycle underwater. Here's some info on that: http://www.bobunderwateradventure.com/

Have a great trip!

We did a cache in Cozumel called "No Name Beach Club." Also a virtual in Playa Del Carmen. It was fun to have had one from out of the country. Only wish we would have taken a travel bug with us... We are going back to Cancun in November, hoping to do some there too.

Hi

I'm from Puerto Rico, there are around 40+ caches in the island. In San Juan were all the cruises arrive you can find around 8 caches, all of them less than a mile. The longest walk will be 20 minutes (if you dont stop at the shops ;) )

DELMORAL

That was exactly what I was looking for. We're never sure how long a walk or how accessable something will be just by looking at a map. Perfect. Thank you!!

This isn't a geocruise...it's actually one of my birthday cruises. None of the tour packages from the ship look that spectacular and we've generally found that nosing around on our own is much more rewarding than being on a bus and a time schedule.

Thanks again.

Mrs. SHop99er

Did a bunch in Aruba. Rented a Jeep at the Cruise port. We had tons of fun!

Man I wish I had started geocaching a bit earlier. I visited Aruba a half year before I got into the sport. There seem to be some really cool ones there, and I was close to one when I visited the lighthouse on the island.