Herpetologists Out There ?

dunderhead

Not a herp, but I almost studied to become one. In any case snakes wouldn't have been my specialty.

Without seeing the head, (was it rounded, or pointed, and were the pupils round, or like a cat's eye?) or checking to see where you live, it could be a corn snake, or a rat snake. Both are GREAT to have around your property.

Not a herp, but I almost studied to become one. In any case snakes wouldn't have been my specialty.

Without seeing the head, (was it rounded, or pointed, and were the pupils round, or like a cat's eye?) or checking to see where you live, it could be a corn snake, or a rat snake. Both are GREAT to have around your property.

head2.jpg

Here he/she is, about 3 foot long 1.5 " dia

Reptiles and amphibians have very specific ranges. If you photographed his snake in Thailand it is probably only found in specific parts of SE Asia, so the typical responses I expect you will get from North America will most likely be worthless. Anyone have a field guide to snakes of SE Asia handy ??

If I knew that picture was taken near me in Florida, I'd say it was a grey rat snake with an unusual coloration pattern. Truth is, the pattern is way off from a grey rat snake so I suspect it is a variant such as a Baird's rat snake or possibly a small pine snake. Narrow the area and I'll give you a better guess. It is NOT a venomous snake unless you are outside of North America.

I'm not a papered expert but I used to be quite the snake nut. My high was about 50 snakes in my house at one time which included a brood of baby garter snakes that we watched born. I know the venomous types pretty well as I used to keep venomous snakes also (with the appropriate permits)..... until a coral snake got out....

It was never a big deal if one of the others got loose - they turn up eventually (found one in a file drawer as I opened it!) or escape to help keep the local rodent population down. Having a coral snake loose in your house is a tad unnerving.