Coin being moved from event to event

Abigail

I was given a Compass Rose coin as I gift for my class. The idea was to watch it move from cache to cache. Well, it was stolen in a short period and I released the coin again with only a pic.

It was grabbed by a cacher and taken to the big event in Texas. Since then it has been moved around from person to person. It is also at some poker event somewhere.

The idea was for the coin to be in a caches! If they wanna log a coin they can buy their own. :lol:

I would rather see the coin disappear than have all these people log it at an event to get a icon. Is there any way I can "kill" my coin? :ph34r:

The main thing is to get the copy out of circulation. That event isn't until tomorrow so try emailing that person who dropped it and ask them to remove it from the event and mail it back to you. Otherwise you are going to have to wait until it's finally in one person's hands. You could delete all the finds from that event but that's probably more hassle than you want to deal with right now. You can re-release with a more specific goal but let's get it back first then we can talk what to do after that.

I would rather see the coin disappear than have all these people log it at an event to get a icon. Is there any way I can "kill" my coin? :ph34r:

hmm... Don't think I've heard seen that request. Maybe you can email the contact address (contact AT geocaching.com) and ask they 'lock' the coin page so noone can log it anymore?

I was given a Compass Rose coin as I gift for my class. The idea was to watch it move from cache to cache. Well, it was stolen in a short period and I released the coin again with only a pic.

It was grabbed by a cacher and taken to the big event in Texas. Since then it has been moved around from person to person. It is also at some poker event somewhere.

The idea was for the coin to be in a caches! If they wanna log a coin they can buy their own. :ph34r:

I'm sorry for you. With the attitude you display about activity on your trackable, in my opinion, you shouldn't send any more out into the world.

They will give only you displeasure if you try to exert control in situations where you MUST REALIZE that you have no control.

It's FUN to let a trackable live its OWN life.

A travel bug is personal property that has ben left in "Public Trust." Now, How much do you trust the public?

Let go of your unrealistic expectation that finders will OBEY your every (in this case, unstated) comand and you WILL begin to enjoy its journey. (In this particular case, your paper coin says absolutely NOTHING about not wanting to attend events.)

If they still give you heartburn after awhile, contact Groundspeak and have them adopt your TBs over to MY profile. I'd be HAPPY to have that kind of activity on one of my TBs. ;)

IMHO- A coin was a poor choice to represent your class. Coins verrrry rarely travel far before someone just TAKES it assumingly for their collection. I have been LTP (Last To Place) on a few coins that just disappeared from the cache I put them in NEVER to be seen again. NOW I only move traveling coins at events so I can direct any further inquiry to its whereabouts to the person I handed it off to.

IRONY: The last coin I was ASKED to drop in a cache instead of at an event went missing right away along with my cache.

Edited by Snoogans

The idea was for the coin to be in a caches! If they wanna log a coin they can buy their own. :ph34r:

I would rather see the coin disappear than have all these people log it at an event to get a icon. Is there any way I can "kill" my coin? ;)

I'm sorry for you. With the attitude you display about activity on your trackable, in my opinion, you shouldn't send any more out into the world.

They will give only you displeasure if you try to exert control in situations where you MUST REALIZE that you have no control.

It's FUN to let a trackable live its OWN life.

A travel bug is personal property that has ben left in "Public Trust." Now, How much do you trust the public?

Let go of your unrealistic expectation that finders will OBEY your every (in this case, unstated) comand and you WILL begin to enjoy its journey. (In this particular case, your paper coin says absolutely NOTHING about not wanting to attend events.)

If they still give you heartburn after awhile, contact Groundspeak and have them adopt your TBs over to MY profile. I'd be HAPPY to have that kind of activity on one of my TBs. :P

IMHO- A coin was a poor choice to represent your class. Coins verrrry rarely travel far before someone just TAKES it assumingly for their collection. I have been LTP (Last To Place) on a few coins that just disappeared from the cache I put them in NEVER to be seen again. NOW I only move traveling coins at events so I can direct any further inquiry to its whereabouts to the person I handed it off to.

IRONY: The last coin I was ASKED to drop in a cache instead of at an event went missing right away along with my cache.

One of the interesting things about geocaching is that people with different ideas can enjoy it.

When I released the 2 bugs I own I did it knowing they could be stolen, lost, etc. I didn't want to release the coin at all but the giver assured me that is why she bought it for me. Since the giver didn't seem to mind if it disappeared I didn't either. She actually got me two and one just like it is sitting at home. :)

I didn't really mind the first event the coin showed up. But now it seems to be spending more time at an event than a cache.

Let's face it, the people who are logging as found are not "finding" the coin. They are writing the number down at an event and logging it. They haven't found it in a cache and they are not moving it to a cache. Purpose? It is interesting to see the profile of the people it is moving back and forth from but that gets old after a while.

People who geocache have different goals. I assumed when I sent a TB out it would travel from cache to cache. In fact, I thought I had read that is what a TB was for?

I will have to admit the coin has been to some interesting caches (when it could). I really appreciate the people who have taken the time to move it.

Thanks for the reply, Snoogans. I can assure you I am not staying up at night wondering if my coin is happy at the event. BUT I am still of the opinion that if you want to carry around a coin at an event and show it off it should be your own.

I understand that different geocachers geocache differently.

I was being a little "tongue in check" when I said I wanted to kill the coin. My EX-husband always said he could never tell when I was joking. :ph34r::)

As for adopting the coin into your profile...they don't cost alot-get your own. :D:D

Before someone decides I need a correction on a TB moving from "cache to cache" I just read for myself that it can also move from "person to person".

I, also, learned I can move it to an "unknown location".

Thanks for the replies. I welcome all opinions. :ph34r:

For now, I think I'll wait a while and see if it goes back into a cache.

I was being a little "tongue in check" when I said I wanted to kill the coin. My EX-husband always said he could never tell when I was joking. :ph34r::P

:ph34r: I'm gonna have to agree with your ex-husband ;)

If you want to try and cut down the time at events you could try and edit the TB's page to say that you'd like for it to NOT go to events. Of course theres no way to ensure your wish is followed.

You could also threaten to delete the logs from people that just 'discover it' and not actually move it, but that would probably tick some people off, even more if you actually do it...

ps- yes you as the TB owner can change the webpages location to 'unknown location', but that doesn't stop anyone from logging it. Its meant as a sort of limbo while waiting for missing travelers to show up again, without taking up space on a cache webpage somewhere.

I was being a little "tongue in check" when I said I wanted to kill the coin. My EX-husband always said he could never tell when I was joking. :ph34r::P

:) I'm gonna have to agree with your ex-husband :D

Yep. Me too. ;)

As for adopting the coin into your profile...they don't cost alot-get your own.

I have 138 TBs and somewhere in the vacinity of 40 coins. (mostly unactivated. alas where's the time.)

All but a few of the coins have been given to me, as gifts, at events and I would never release them, but not because I'm a collector. Each coin actually has a meaning for me. I take them to events and let folks use the "discovery" option so they can get another coin icon on their profile. :ph34r:

Unfortunately you'll have to get used to the fact that some people just live to rack up icons like that. They carry around big folders full of coins and everyone they meet can "look" at them and write down the number and then add all those coins to their own profile. Whoopee doo, what an adventure!

Some cachers' "trackables" section of their profile just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. They think that is the coolest thing ever. Doesn't impress me an iota. I'm much more impressed by people who find the things in caches.

The one and only event I went to had a table full of travel bugs, and a couple cachers there just stood over the table and wrote down the number of every single bug. They hardly even looked at them, they just harvested the numbers and went home and logged them all as 'found'. Wow, how neat :ph34r:

Of course the icon ho brigade will say that they're playing the game how they like it and who am I to judge. But just like they are entitled to play the way they're playing, I am entitled to my opinion, and I think it is stupid, so there :ph34r:

Of course the icon ho brigade will say that they're playing the game how they like it and who am I to judge. But just like they are entitled to play the way they're playing, I am entitled to my opinion, and I think it is stupid, so there :ph34r:

I think it is interesting to note that of the two coins you have found, you actually discovered one of them, presumably for the icon :ph34r:

:ph34r: I'm gonna have to agree with your ex-husband :ph34r:

Yep. Me too. :P

As for adopting the coin into your profile...they don't cost alot-get your own.

I have 138 TBs and somewhere in the vacinity of 40 coins. (mostly unactivated. alas where's the time.)

All but a few of the coins have been given to me, as gifts, at events and I would never release them, but not because I'm a collector. Each coin actually has a meaning for me. I take them to events and let folks use the "discovery" option so they can get another coin icon on their profile. ;)

I can absolutely see taking a coin I own to an event and allowing people to discover it. When it is over I would have a list of all the people I've met and a coin to remind me of the event. That would have meaning.

Logging other peoples' TBs at events just for the icon is something of which I was unaware. I've learned something new. I can't say I am interested but it is just a different part of caching.

As for my sense of humor (sigh), it isn't any easier to understand in person. I guess I am blessed to have friends who can appreciate a VERY dry sense of humor. :)

Unfortunately you'll have to get used to the fact that some people just live to rack up icons like that. They carry around big folders full of coins and everyone they meet can "look" at them and write down the number and then add all those coins to their own profile. Whoopee doo, what an adventure!

Some cachers' "trackables" section of their profile just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. They think that is the coolest thing ever. Doesn't impress me an iota. I'm much more impressed by people who find the things in caches.

The one and only event I went to had a table full of travel bugs, and a couple cachers there just stood over the table and wrote down the number of every single bug. They hardly even looked at them, they just harvested the numbers and went home and logged them all as 'found'. Wow, how neat :ph34r:

Of course the icon ho brigade will say that they're playing the game how they like it and who am I to judge. But just like they are entitled to play the way they're playing, I am entitled to my opinion, and I think it is stupid, so there ;)

As an Icon Ho, I think I speak for the brigade that we are proud to give those who need to feel superior to something that feeling that they neeeeed so badly.

The "Discovered" option renders your opinion moot, but I'm happy for you to have that superior feeling. Maybe you can do a little superior dance in celebration. :P:ph34r:

Since you want to pick nits on the tiny amount of things I log:

I did actually see the coin in my own geocache when I went on a maintenance trip, and I had no idea that it was in there since I've not been getting my gc.com emails until a week after cachers log them (due to AOL email problem). So if you want to consider it "lame" of me for logging that coin, knock yourselves out.

I still drove out there and walked to a cache. The coin was in a cache. I didn't take it out of the cache because I wanted to leave it for other cachers to find. One of the reasons for the "discovered" option is to let others know that you saw the item is still in the cache, but you left it there. You're saying I shouldn't have logged it? Uh, ok.

If I was trying to jack up my icon finds, I could very easily do so. That is not my goal.

IMO that is far less lame than "finding" somebody's notebook full of coins at the pizza social and logging them all so you can rack up mass numbers of icons to make your trackable page look big and super awesome to all us pathetic non-loggers. Sure, you saw them, but somebody basically handed them to you on a silver platter. COOL, congratulations on the effort! :o I don't neeeed to feel superior to you, I just do :laughing:

And as a side note, I actually saw that same coin again a week later while checking one of my OTHER caches, so I guess if I was really super-lame I could have logged it again.

I feel that we've hijacked this thread, which is wrong, so I'll stop contributing to that. We've pretty much voiced our opinions (mine is not "moot", by the way) and know where we stand on this issue.

You can :huh: at me all you want, I'm doing it right back atcha! :anibad: Don't take it so personally, we just don't all play the same.

Edited by MountainMudbug

Since you want to pick nits on the tiny amount of things I log:

I did actually see the coin in my own geocache when I went on a maintenance trip, and I had no idea that it was in there since I've not been getting my gc.com emails until a week after cachers log them (due to AOL email problem). So if you want to consider it "lame" of me for logging that coin, knock yourselves out.

I still drove out there and walked to a cache. The coin was in a cache. I didn't take it out of the cache because I wanted to leave it for other cachers to find. You're saying I shouldn't have logged it?

IMO that is far less lame than "finding" somebody's notebook full of coins at the pizza social and logging them all so you rack up mass numbers of icons. Sure, you saw them, but somebody basically handed them to you on a silver platter. COOL! :huh: I don't neeeed to feel superior to you, I just do :huh:

And as a side note, I actually saw that same coin again a week later while checking one of my OTHER caches, so I guess if I was really super-lame I could have logged it again.

I feel that we've hijacked this thread, so I'll stop doing that. We've pretty much voiced our opinions and we all know where we stand on this issue, and there isn't much left to say.

You can :P at me all you want, I'm doing it right back atcha! :o Don't take it so personally, we just don't all play the same.

Getting mixed messages here.....

You're saying I shouldn't have logged it?

When did I say anything like that? Or are you addressing another poster?

I don't neeeed to feel superior to you, I just do
Don't take it so personally, we just don't all play the same.

So you agree with me, but you don't..... :o I don't get it. What are you really trying to say? Do you even know what you're trying to say? :anibad:

With the exception of a thread whining about TBs at GW4, (I ran the TB station) I don't take ANY of this personally. BTW- There were 3,200+ TBs at my station and I didn't count coup on a single one. There were plenty of coins and personal TBs to count coup on.

I feel that we've hijacked this thread, so I'll stop doing that. We've pretty much voiced our opinions and we all know where we stand on this issue, and there isn't much left to say.

You're pretty used to gettin' the last word in your own little kingdom aren't ya? :P

The topic is logging coins at events to get icons and the thread is still on track.

I'm very much for the practice and it seems the TPTB have validated MY opinion and those who share it by providing the "discovered" option to log trackables. :laughing:

There are a vocal minority on your side of the fence too, but since the website seems to be nodding to my side of the fence, I won't bother to call you names in return, but enjoy the superior feeling if that's workin' for ya. :P:P

My whole point in contributing to this thread was to tell the OP that some of us out here are annoyed by the way people log things. Unfortunately I apparently didn't make sense. Obviously that didn't get across.

So now I'll say Snoogans, you "win", here's you cookie for showing the world what an idiot I am :anibad:

Now you'll have to come back with the REAL last word eh? :laughing: Just make sure when you type it out that the font size is huge and the color is red, because you've been slacking on that lately and I've been having trouble recognizing your posts without the drama queen emphasis :huh:

In defense of the icon ho's, they certainly will go the extra mile to harvest a trackable at a nasty cache and therefore are above regular armchairish drive-up event cache city slickers. Seeing how popular a long list of icons has become, I only wish that visiting waymarks would also generate an icon and get more people "out there".

dm

With the exception of a thread whining about TBs at GW4, (I ran the TB station) I don't take ANY of this personally. BTW- There were 3,200+ TBs at my station and I didn't count coup on a single one. There were plenty of coins and personal TBs to count coup on.

I was NOT whining! And you did a commendable job! And a thankless job.

The travel bug that I was following from GW3, which was listed as missing a few months later, was found in the trunk of a cacher at GW3, 'a bag of TBs', and logged a year later!

Yes, I will 'discover' coins that I see at events. I had a coin that only wanted to be put in Members Only Caches. We dont seem to have any nearby. So I took it to an event, handed it off to a cacher from a neighboring state, who promised to put it in an MO cache. And five or six people at the event saw it, and discovered it. Go for it, dudes.

As to OPs complaint: Her coin was stolen! Someone is deliberately, and repeatedly ignoring her request for her coin. I am not always able to fulfill TB requests. But I'd never do it repeatedly.

Reminds me of a situation that I ran across, where someone was logging coins out and back into caches, but keeping them. Or logging them into a 'not yet approved' cache. How they expect to get away with it is beyond me. Especially since they are allowing people to discover them.