Problem finders

:huh: Hmmm. A screamer might be just a little too much, but heck, I'm an old man, and it wouldn't kill me. If I was that frail, I wouldn't be out there in the first place.

We have one nearby that has a Spongebob toy with a motion sensor of some kind in it. When the cache is moved, it makes a whiny "waaa waaa waaa" sound. From inside the ammo can it sounds like buzzing. It's hidden under an old rotten log, just the place to find spiders and snakes. When I picked it up, it gave me a start, but I'm still here, and I actually enjoyed the trick.

No I didn't disable it. I believe that a cache should be left the way I found it, unless it needs repair.

Little wierd things like these are what give a cache it's uniqueness and make each one memorable. If all caches were the same, it wouldn't be very much fun now, would it? ;)

That's somewhat presumptuous, isn't it? You shouldn't speak for all people. What does fraility have to do deliberate sadism? And that's what a screaming cache is: pure and simple sadism. The closest I've come to a heart attack so far is when I missed stepping on a black bear by about four feet. The bear bushwhacked through dead mountain laurel to escape. That must have hurt! Myself, I could not move for five or ten minutes.

Furbys that talk, or Sponge Bobs that wail are an entirely different story. I even found a great singing salmon once. Those were not set, deliberately, to scare anyone. Screaming caches, or skyrockets, are deliberaely set to try to scare someone. And, that, my friend, is deliberate sadism. Pure malice.

Yup, we have a cacher, he's been caching since Jan '06, and he has tunnel vision. It only matters to get the find. He has no stealth and has admitted to using a screw driver to retrieve a micro from a hole in the wall. He screwed it up so bad, it had to be disabled by the cache owner. He's hidden caches in actual graves and the list goes on.

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by Yamahammer

Surprises can be fun.

We have caches with snakes and spiders that pop out of caches, at least one spring-loaded Jack in the Box, and one notable micro under a sewer lid with a very life-like cockroach attached that gets everyone's attention.

one of my favorite finds is a multi where the first stage had a cylinder with a spring snake. Scared the crap out of me. I died laughing.

...Hell i still have the T.V. I got during the L.A. Riots...

Your Momma must be proud...

My mama has a VCR from that riot.

Guess the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

Nice to know that there are people like you out there geocaching.

guys, he's totally messing with you. I for one think he's funny. maybe it's just cause I have sarcastic friends but I get it.

Today I went to check on one of my nano caches because the last finder posted that she thought it was left not as I intended. Sure enough, I found the container attached to a small stick with a band-aid so that detection and retrieval were MUCH easier. It amazes me that someone would intentionally alter the placement and configuration of a cache. :blink::blink:

Yup, we have a cacher, he's been caching since Jan '06, and he has tunnel vision. It only matters to get the find. He has no stealth and has admitted to using a screw driver to retrieve a micro from a hole in the wall. He screwed it up so bad, it had to be disabled by the cache owner. He's hidden caches in actual graves and the list goes on.

EDIT: spelling.

Please promise that you folks have said something to him. Those who screw up the caches ruin it for everyone behind them, and if the property owners get upset, the caches will be gone forever. Enjoying and being creative are one thing, destruction of private property are another. If worse comes to worse, get pics of his behavior, and see if a caching deputy or city officer over that way can reason with him.

Today I went to check on one of my nano caches because the last finder posted that she thought it was left not as I intended. Sure enough, I found the container attached to a small stick with a band-aid so that detection and retrieval were MUCH easier. It amazes me that someone would intentionally alter the placement and configuration of a cache. :blink::blink:

Some of us with the fat fingers may wish for easier retreival, but to make detection easier is bogus. I hope this person gets a life, and stops the well-meaning actions. Probably thinks feeding those who are able to work but just too lazy to do so is a good idea too!

I set out a range of caches - from granny-can-do to 4.5 beasties. Variety is a key ingredient to caching - but many finders complain in their finding posts at how awkward the difficult finds are. Clearly this doesn't amount to physical interference but can detract from the desirability of a cache to others. I always leave the negative posts - but know from the frequency of visits to my toughies that this negativity on cachers part is putting others off even trying.

I had one that was the end of a multi, and the cache container was easy to find once you solved the puzzle of numbers correctly. (Monochrome Palms can become a problem if the key info you are looking for is actually underlined in RED on the cache page) I reached in for the pen to sign, started to open it and it looked a little funny. I looked into the box for a different pen, and seeing none I went ahead and pulled the pen open.

It went off with a Bang!

Evidently the pen was rigged to set off a small cap and surprise the person who was using it. That was funny! After I apologized for the few foul words that escaped my lips, I laughed too.

Wow i thought i was bad by placing a stickers on pole caches. yep you place a cache on the inside of a light poles base, i place some kind of car sticker on the pole. i just got tiered of the same kind of hide every place i went. 6 caches in one day 3 where light poles. people find some new ways of hiding the caches. o wait i got one 2 days ago that was a new pole cache they used a magnet and stuck it under the base of a light pole but this time they stuck it up under the top of the base so when you pull up the base you don't see it. man you got to love urban caching.

Sorry to go off-topic, but do people actually place caches in the inside of light pole bases?!? :laughing: This seems like a really bad idea to me, and a good way to get eletrocuted... :laughing:

Sorry to go off-topic, but do people actually place caches in the inside of light pole bases?!? :laughing: This seems like a really bad idea to me, and a good way to get eletrocuted... :laughing:

ya this is a normal urban hide. and the bases don't have the wires. you need to open the doors for that and no one hides them there. so you just lift up on the base and bingo theres an altoids tin with a magnet some times. mostly spiders with the tin. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

If the wires are defective or damaged or there is a loose connection, you don't even need to touch the actual wires to get zapped, though... I could also see people searching inside where the wires are if they think there is a cache hidden there... These and fake electrical box-type caches really make me cringe!

Examples:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Unusual-Tales/R...9046928427.html

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_128/pe...eshockedby.html

http://www1.wsvn.com/features/articles/inv...gations/DBM596/

If the wires are defective or damaged or there is a loose connection, you don't even need to touch the actual wires to get zapped, though... I could also see people searching inside where the wires are if they think there is a cache hidden there... These and fake electrical box-type caches really make me cringe!

I'm not sure you understand exactly what is meant by a typical urban lamp post hide. The "box" the cache is hidden under is purely decorative. Generally a lamppost is bolted onto a concrete base, right? So there are four big ugly bolt heads at the corners of the base. A metal (or even plastic) skirt is generally formed so that it slides on top and covers the ugly bolt heads, leaving only the rectangular or rounded trim. That's all. The cache (and hunter) never goes anywhere near exposed wires.

In the examples you cited, those lamps clearly posed an unusual safety hazard to anyone and everyone nearby, for whatever reason (including just walking by on the sidewalk, in one case), so it's not limited to cachers.

If it makes you feel better, flagpole caches can work exactly the same way and would be free from electrical risk (well, short of lightning storms :o )

As for the fake-out electrical boxes, yeah, I wouldn't put one of those anywhere near a real one. I do, on the other hand, have one that looks like an electrical box, but it's on an abandoned and boarded-up building, and there are no feeder pipes going to the box, so hopefully someone with a sharp eye will quickly realize it's not real.

Edited by GreyingJay