Problem finders

Recently I had one of my caches altered by a cacher that just did not like the way I set it up. THe cache has a couple of screamers that go off when it is opened, this person did not like this so he removed the batteries. Of course this was after he tried to claim a find on the cache when it was missing, I deleted that log. So the next day he posted a SBA on one of my caches. His new log is going to be deleted in a day or two, and then I will tell him that he should not bother to ever log another one of my caches.

Has anyone else had caches they placed altered by other cachers?

The box not not altered but I have seen more thasn one log state something like: "Moved it back to its proper location" - more than 20 feet and in a different manner than I hid it. Just how did they figure they knew "the proper" spot?? Still, I don't delete found it logs if they are legit. But I understand your upsetness.

There was a cacher around here who festooned the hide areas around ammo cans in the woods with surveyor's tape! He said he was trying to, "help other cachers". The ammo cans mostly disappeared, becoming so conspicuous. Real helpful. :anitongue: Several of us kept watch on him and followed him around, removing surveyor's tape. A true jerk.

There was a cacher around here who festooned the hide areas around ammo cans in the woods with surveyor's tape! He said he was trying to, "help other cachers". The ammo cans mostly disappeared, becoming so conspicuous. Real helpful. :anitongue: Several of us kept watch on him and followed him around, removing surveyor's tape. A true jerk.

Wow i thought i was bad by placing a stickers on pole caches. yep you place a cache on the inside of a light poles base, i place some kind of car sticker on the pole. i just got tiered of the same kind of hide every place i went. 6 caches in one day 3 where light poles. people find some new ways of hiding the caches. o wait i got one 2 days ago that was a new pole cache they used a magnet and stuck it under the base of a light pole but this time they stuck it up under the top of the base so when you pull up the base you don't see it. man you got to love urban caching.

Wow i thought i was bad by placing a stickers on pole caches. yep you place a cache on the inside of a light poles base, i place some kind of car sticker on the pole

yes, that IS bad. poor sportsmanship AND bad PR for the sport.

i just got tiered of the same kind of hide every place i went. 6 caches in one day 3 where light poles.

you could have kept on driving, or, better yet, hit the ignore button from the cache page. if you were handicapped or had very small children you'd be glad for those light pole caches.

Wow i thought i was bad by placing a stickers on pole caches.

You are. Defacing property is never acceptable.

Recently I had one of my caches altered by a cacher that just did not like the way I set it up. THe cache has a couple of screamers that go off when it is opened, this person did not like this so he removed the batteries. Of course this was after he tried to claim a find on the cache when it was missing, I deleted that log. So the next day he posted a SBA on one of my caches. His new log is going to be deleted in a day or two, and then I will tell him that he should not bother to ever log another one of my caches.

Has anyone else had caches they placed altered by other cachers?

For what it's worth, me being new and all... My first though is a finder should not alter a hide, except for "repairs", like a fresh ziplock bag, wiping up water.

But then, if a cache was opened and "Screamed" would that be a muggles problem?? I guess it depends on how far "in the sticks" the cache is. I would hate to open a cache and have it alert everyone in the area!!

my .02 worth...

That's fair. But presumably if a cache screams, that's part of the fun -- like those caches I keep reading about that are hidden in rubber snakes or have fake spiders jump out at you. We can't simply "turn those off" just because we didn't like it or felt vindicative about nearly getting a heart attack.

If you were concerned about muggles hearing the screaming, then that's a valid issue, and that's something you write to the cache owner about. If the owner is indifferent and you really think it's an issue, then the next step is maybe an SBA log.

I had a cacher place a wind-up toy into one of my caches. I went to make a maintenance visit, opened the cache and jumped more than slighty at the sound the toy made...kind of like a rattlesnake. Made me smile! Not sure how he got the toy into the cache and closed the cover of the ammo can.

I chose not to re-wind the little toy! :anitongue:

I put a combination lock, the type that used to be on luggage, on a well cammo'd "in plain site" type of cache to keep muggles from opening it. But I wanted cachers to be able to get to it so I had the combination set to the name of the cache.

I couldn't believe it when almost immediately cachers would log that they changed the combination to "make it more difficult for the next finder". I went back to re-set the combination several times because of geojerks "helping" me like that.

Wow i thought i was bad by placing a stickers on pole caches.

This is a reason the term geojerk exists.

yep you place a cache on the inside of a light poles base, i place some kind of car sticker on the pole.
Because you want to show that you're superior somehow? Or maybe since you don't approve of the cache then it's okay for you to try and ruin the fun for everyone else?

i just got tiered of the same kind of hide every place i went.
How many tiers were you?

6 caches in one day 3 where light poles.
Where light poles what?

people find some new ways of hiding the caches.
Geojerks, find some new ways to ignore caches you don't like, and stop trying to tell others how to play.

o wait i got one 2 days ago that was a new pole cache they used a magnet and stuck it under the base of a light pole but this time they stuck it up under the top of the base so when you pull up the base you don't see it. man you got to love urban caching.
So did you put a sticker on this one too, or did you let it go since you hadn't seen that before but you plan on messing up the rest of the magnetic pole caches you see?

Wow i thought i was bad by placing a stickers on pole caches. yep you place a cache on the inside of a light poles base, i place some kind of car sticker on the pole. i just got tiered of the same kind of hide every place i went. 6 caches in one day 3 where light poles. people find some new ways of hiding the caches. o wait i got one 2 days ago that was a new pole cache they used a magnet and stuck it under the base of a light pole but this time they stuck it up under the top of the base so when you pull up the base you don't see it. man you got to love urban caching.

While I appreciate your, uh, bravery for admitting your actions here, I hope you will take the overwhelmingly negative response to heart and stop doing such pathetic things.

Having been told repeatedly now that defacing caches you do not like is unacceptable you should lose your membership and access if you do it again.

That's fair. But presumably if a cache screams, that's part of the fun -- like those caches I keep reading about that are hidden in rubber snakes or have fake spiders jump out at you. We can't simply "turn those off" just because we didn't like it or felt vindicative about nearly getting a heart attack.

If you were concerned about muggles hearing the screaming, then that's a valid issue, and that's something you write to the cache owner about. If the owner is indifferent and you really think it's an issue, then the next step is maybe an SBA log.

Nah, if the cacher wants to draw attention to his cache that's up to him!

Stealth is an attribute of hunting caches, not hiding them. An owner can make his cache as visible as he chooses to.

Nope, this would be a misuse of the SBA.

Ed

Fair enough.

(See, this is exactly why the use of SBA should be preceded by a conversation with the cache owner :ph34r:)

:lol: I would say it is exactly why every cacher should learn when and why to use an SBA! :D

The cacher in question posted a SBA on one of my other caches in retaltiation after I deleted a find the he claimed on a cache of mine that was missing, He replaced my large cache witha peice of garbage micro spew so that he could claim the find. THe local reveiwer told him what he could do with his SBA. He is known for placing film cans when he cannot find a cache on a regular basis, one of the locals has even told him if he ever finds one of her caches again she will delete his find.

Fair enough.

(See, this is exactly why the use of SBA should be preceded by a conversation with the cache owner :ph34r:)

:lol: I would say it is exactly why every cacher should learn when and why to use an SBA! :D

The cacher in question posted a SBA on one of my other caches in retaltiation after I deleted a find the he claimed on a cache of mine that was missing, He replaced my large cache witha peice of garbage micro spew so that he could claim the find. THe local reveiwer told him what he could do with his SBA. He is known for placing film cans when he cannot find a cache on a regular basis, one of the locals has even told him if he ever finds one of her caches again she will delete his find.

Bummer... but not a reason for us to avoid the SBA. The cacher in question was out of line and the Reviewer dealt with it... the SBA back-fired on the cacher but worked as designed.

So, let me see if I'm understanding this right.

If there's a cacher in town you don't like, you will steal his hides, or possibly vandalize his house. And if you don't approve of a cache you will put up stickers to remove any challenge the hide might have presented.

Have I got that right?

OP's concern seemed to have been about someone disconnecting the batteries from a device deliberately put out to frighten someone. (Other actions by that cache finder were not brought out until later, and are irrelevant to the point. As are admissions of deliberate cache vandalism by another responant here.) As I mentioned the last time this subject was brought up, I carry a hiking stick, and would probably have hit the cache that screams with the stick until my panic attack subsided. And, if that didn't work, pounding it with a rock might do the trick. IMHO, screaming caches are deliverately vicious. Fortunately, OP lives over a thousand miles from here, so I should not have to worry about having a heart attack opening any caches. I think that you are lucky that all that happened was having the batteries disconnected, and I am sure tha tthe next finder thanked that cacher for performing that service.

OP's concern seemed to have been about someone disconnecting the batteries from a device deliberately put out to frighten someone. (Other actions by that cache finder were not brought out until later, and are irrelevant to the point. As are admissions of deliberate cache vandalism by another responant here.) As I mentioned the last time this subject was brought up, I carry a hiking stick, and would probably have hit the cache that screams with the stick until my panic attack subsided. And, if that didn't work, pounding it with a rock might do the trick. IMHO, screaming caches are deliverately vicious. Fortunately, OP lives over a thousand miles from here, so I should not have to worry about having a heart attack opening any caches. I think that you are lucky that all that happened was having the batteries disconnected, and I am sure tha tthe next finder thanked that cacher for performing that service.

You're right, of course, and I apologise for going off topic.

I'd be more likely to think a screaming cache was funny, but that's just me. Also, if stealithily retrieving and returning the cache in muggle filled areas are part of the game, as has been said here before, then this would look like just another facet of that challenge.

Then again, it's all fun and games until some old man dies of a heart attack at the cache site...

There was a cacher around here who festooned the hide areas around ammo cans in the woods with surveyor's tape! He said he was trying to, "help other cachers". The ammo cans mostly disappeared, becoming so conspicuous. Real helpful. :lol: Several of us kept watch on him and followed him around, removing surveyor's tape. A true jerk.

I love to hear ya'll complain about light pole caches. I have to drive miles down dirt roads and then hike through spider webs, briars, etc. to find caches ( and mostly loving it). I was excited when I found a light pole cache 'cause I had never seen one. "Wow, it is hidden under the skirt of the light! I've read about this!" :ph34r:

Sorry for the off topic.

Edited by Abigail

WOW i can't belive the amount of People that talk so much trash on this site and can not tell when someone is being sarcastic. WHY THE HELL WOULD I PLACE A STICKER ON A POLE THAT MARKS THE CACHE FOR THE NEXT PERSON. that kinda Defeats the Purpose of this game. man that was to Easy to get you up in arms. I should try more often. I think next time i'll tell you all that i video tape the find and post the video to really spoil the hide. or how about i do what 2 people did to me and post the spot the cache sits for every log. :D

But i do Hate Light pole hides.

:lol:

:D

:ph34r:

WOW i can't belive the amount of People that talk so much trash on this site and can not tell when someone is being sarcastic. WHY THE HELL WOULD I PLACE A STICKER ON A POLE THAT MARKS THE CACHE FOR THE NEXT PERSON. that kinda Defeats the Purpose of this game. man that was to Easy to get you up in arms. I should try more often. I think next time i'll tell you all that i video tape the find and post the video to really spoil the hide. or how about i do what 2 people did to me and post the spot the cache sits for every log. :ph34r:

But i do Hate Light pole hides.

:ph34r:

;)

:P

And i hate IVY hides.

... i video tape the find and post the video to really spoil the hide. ...

Can you post a link?

Regarding the OP. Perhaps this course of action wasn't possible, but I prefer to start a PM with the cacher on question and try to understand their point of view. I find arguing via cache notes and SBA logs (and even in the forums) somewhat frustrating as things usually have to come to a boiling point before a resolution (and rarely understanding) is reached.

I would really love to know what the GeoGurk's motive was.

There seems to be enough gurks to go around.

Harry Dolphin said it best in his tag line. :ph34r:

This thread---SBA! :ph34r:

Ok first--Geojerk was wrong to remove the batteries to the screamer, BUT if he did find the cache and his name was in the logbook then deleting his log and telling him never to log another cache by the OP as stated by the OP is wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right (insert puns here later)

Now for b1rdbrain if your new here, get a flame suit, you will need it.

Now if you excuse me I got to go mark some lamp post at the local Wal-Marts with "Place Cache Here" :ph34r:

(THAT IS A JOKE IN CASE YOUR OVER-EAGER TO SCREAM VANDAL)

Wow.. the only time I would ever 'change' anything would be for repairs that clearly needed to be done.

We recently found a cache that was AT the starting coordinates for another cache - but CLEARLY not what we were seeking. It was out in the open at a busy public park tucked up against a stone wall with no cover.

I could do nothing BUT put it back where I found it, as I cannot begin to imagine where it SHOULD be - as Im not the placer. It was hard, and I worry it will be muggled - but when I came home to look for it to contact the placer - NO record of it exists, so... theres not alot I could do.

Would I LIKED to have hidden it better?? Yes. But - it was visited recently, and if it WAS moved, I can't do anything about it if I dont know its first location.

Oh well... I would be very upset if someone changed something without permission. I DO have a letterbox placed in a good spot, BUT, I did note in the clues that if someone truly believed its at risk of being found - REMOVE it and contact me to rehide it elsewhere. My hand carved stamp is worth a temporary inconvenience of a rehide. (And I dont want any seekers struggling with the decision of WHAT to do.)

Just my 2 cents...

This thread---SBA! :laughing:

Ok first--Geojerk was wrong to remove the batteries to the screamer, BUT if he did find the cache and his name was in the logbook then deleting his log and telling him never to log another cache by the OP as stated by the OP is wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right (inserted by b1rdbrain: 3 Rights make a Left)

Now if you excuse me I got to go mark some lamp post at the local Wal-Marts with "Place Cache Here" :anibad: (also inserted by B1rdbrain: i just went to the car show and I have a ton of Edelbrock stickers you can use)

as for a Flame Suit why? I have bullet proof armer due to the fact that i live in Reseda, CA you have to be Nuts to cache in my neck of the woods. just today i went out and got 3 caches and had to duck not from muggles but from Drive By's. when I was in high school here at Cleveland high in Reseda, CA if there wasn't a shooting in a week that just ment we had a vacation at that time. so you think i'm going to Stress over a few Geocachers on the internet when i can get shot just getting my mail? Ya right. Hell i still have the T.V. I got during the L.A. Riots. you know it's not even safe to get some of the caches for real check out "No walk in the park" (GCTX7N) this is not a joke read everything the O.P. Says about this park. I am way safer in the Groundspeak forums.

:huh:

as for a Flame Suit why? I have bullet proof armer due to the fact that i live in Reseda, CA you have to be Nuts to cache in my neck of the woods. just today i went out and got 3 caches and had to duck not from muggles but from Drive By's. when I was in high school here at Cleveland high in Reseda, CA if there wasn't a shooting in a week that just ment we had a vacation at that time. so you think i'm going to Stress over a few Geocachers on the internet when i can get shot just getting my mail? Ya right. Hell i still have the T.V. I got during the L.A. Riots. you know it's not even safe to get some of the caches for real check out "No walk in the park" (GCTX7N) this is not a joke read everything the O.P. Says about this park. I am way safer in the Groundspeak forums.

:laughing:

:laughing:

Oh, get OVER yourself. I lived in North Hollywood (practically up the street from you) and worked in Van Nuys for seven years. I left just three years ago (best decision I EVER made!). Your area is not THAT bad. Drive-bys? Bwah! Maybe at 2 in the morning, and by undesirables who have nothing better to do at that hour.

Go caching in Compton for a couple days and then come back here to complain, tough guy. No one here is impressed. Most of all, me.

Edited by ArriBlossom

Back to the original topic.

A cache placed by someone is still their property, even though it may be placed on public land and for the enjoyment of others. To alter it, mark it, or remove it would be wrong. To make repairs to return it to original condition would be acceptable. Courtesy dictates that notifying the owner of what was/is needed or done is necessary.

If you don't like something about a cache, mention it in the notes. Perhaps the cache owner could learn from your insight, and make improvements to this cache and future ones. Please, don't blow the cache, if you can't phrase something right to not give the cache away, use an email.

As to the cache that was in the open, there should be a Geocaching.com explanation page in each cache, preferably easy to find. (Bigger caches, why not clear taped to the underside of the lid?") The owner should place a contact address, email maybe, on the page or cache. This way, misplaced caches or muggled caches would have a better chance of being recovered.

There's my $0.02, thanks for reading.

Go caching in Compton for a couple days and then come back here to complain, tough guy. No one here is impressed. Most of all, me.

I'm applying for my CCW and Abrems Tank Lic. so I can cache in Comton and Watts.

By the way who ever said i was a "Tough Guy?" and sorry, all i am trying to do is Impress you and you only. So I can see i have Failed. :laughing:

This thread---SBA! :anibad:

Ok first--Geojerk was wrong to remove the batteries to the screamer, BUT if he did find the cache and his name was in the logbook then deleting his log and telling him never to log another cache by the OP as stated by the OP is wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right (insert puns here later)

Now if you excuse me I got to go mark some lamp post at the local Wal-Marts with "Place Cache Here" :huh:

Okay....well,.... I'm going to put a screamer on a lamp post....nananana :laughing:

sorry....I'm bad, but I had to do it.... hehehehe

There was a cacher around here who festooned the hide areas around ammo cans in the woods with surveyor's tape! He said he was trying to, "help other cachers". The ammo cans mostly disappeared, becoming so conspicuous. Real helpful. :laughing: Several of us kept watch on him and followed him around, removing surveyor's tape. A true jerk.

so, you used a fridge magnet from your house to 'scent-mark' that one, right?

:anibad::huh:

Surprises can be fun.

We have caches with snakes and spiders that pop out of caches, at least one spring-loaded Jack in the Box, and one notable micro under a sewer lid with a very life-like cockroach attached that gets everyone's attention.

Not only the owners but the whole geocaching community here would object to some finder diasbling them because they don't like them.

Sorta OT, but upon being told by their leader that his church teen group would be going after an abandoned-cemetary cache way off in the woods at midnight, me 'n a buddy snuck in early and wired the cache to a box of 200 skyrockets (placed safely away from the cache). Pick up the cache (a 'bloody' fake rubber head in a tree) and the world lights up!

While we were working on it five of the Mom's, also having the ambush idea in mind, showed up with noise-makers, and helped place trip-wires with firecrackers along all the likely nearby exit trails.

Surprise was complete. Everyone loved it, and it is still talked about in this community's geocaching lore.

Don't try this at home! :laughing:

Ed

Having been told repeatedly now that defacing caches ... is unacceptable you should lose your membership and access if you do it again.

:laughing::D:lol:B):DB)B)B):D:D:D

Considering the source, this comment was really, really funny.

And I don't mean this against TAR. I think a lot of people learned something back then :D

Having been told repeatedly now that defacing caches ... is unacceptable you should lose your membership and access if you do it again.

:laughing::D:lol:B):DB)B)B):D:D:D

Considering the source, this comment was really, really funny.

And I don't mean this against TAR. I think a lot of people learned something back then :D

Heck, I may be slow, but I do learn! :D I would expect to get the recommended action if I were to do it again.

Hmmm....I wonder what's going to happen the first time one of us does drop from a heart attack when the screamer goes off.

Hmmm....I wonder what's going to happen the first time one of us does drop from a heart attack when the screamer goes off.

It's really going to screw up my trade up or trade even plan that's for sure unless I go with the current value of a human body, around a fiver but I guess that beats finding a McToy??

Surprises can be fun.

We have caches with snakes and spiders that pop out of caches, at least one spring-loaded Jack in the Box, and one notable micro under a sewer lid with a very life-like cockroach attached that gets everyone's attention.

Not only the owners but the whole geocaching community here would object to some finder diasbling them because they don't like them.

Sorta OT, but upon being told by their leader that his church teen group would be going after an abandoned-cemetary cache way off in the woods at midnight, me 'n a buddy snuck in early and wired the cache to a box of 200 skyrockets (placed safely away from the cache). Pick up the cache (a 'bloody' fake rubber head in a tree) and the world lights up!

While we were working on it five of the Mom's, also having the ambush idea in mind, showed up with noise-makers, and helped place trip-wires with firecrackers along all the likely nearby exit trails.

Surprise was complete. Everyone loved it, and it is still talked about in this community's geocaching lore.

Don't try this at home! :huh:

Ed

This would seem to fit the definition of the word 'sadistic'. Glad I wasn't there.

:huh: Hmmm. A screamer might be just a little too much, but heck, I'm an old man, and it wouldn't kill me. If I was that frail, I wouldn't be out there in the first place.

We have one nearby that has a Spongebob toy with a motion sensor of some kind in it. When the cache is moved, it makes a whiny "waaa waaa waaa" sound. From inside the ammo can it sounds like buzzing. It's hidden under an old rotten log, just the place to find spiders and snakes. When I picked it up, it gave me a start, but I'm still here, and I actually enjoyed the trick.

No I didn't disable it. I believe that a cache should be left the way I found it, unless it needs repair.

Little wierd things like these are what give a cache it's uniqueness and make each one memorable. If all caches were the same, it wouldn't be very much fun now, would it? ;)