NTv8 navigator

space_man

O.k i dicided to buy the 60Cx and the topo the auto routing programs. Reading the forum, every one seems to want the NT version for the navigation program. Calling the 4x4books.com they said they dont know when they are going to have it. Where else can i buy it?? How much is it??

Alex

There is a benefit to having the NT version, the entire mapset fits on a 1gb card and only uses 63 map segments. I bought the NT version from Garmin directly, took 3-4 days to arrive at my door. If you are stuck with the regular citynav it is not a big deal, just get a 2gb card and call it a day, verizonwireless is selling them in stock at their mall stores.

Hi there i dont expect to travel far mostly in CA maybe neveda and arizona. I would like to go to the grand canyon this year. Oh yea i want the TOPO map on it too. How much space would i realy need for it???

I found that i can buy the 1 gig card at frys for about $40. Would that be enough for the 3 state map and the TOPO and lets say about 500-600 Caches for the trip???

Alex

May be I'm wrong, but if using Navigator for auto navigation, it would seem to be better to get Navigator. It seems to be more efficient in that less de-compression is necessary, therefore better streaming of data. I agree with Fhantasm, I've been living with a 512 mb card for over a year and have both City Select and 24K on my unit, and never needed a bigger card.

Hi there i dont expect to travel far mostly in CA maybe neveda and arizona. I would like to go to the grand canyon this year. Oh yea i want the TOPO map on it too. How much space would i realy need for it???

I found that i can buy the 1 gig card at frys for about $40. Would that be enough for the 3 state map and the TOPO and lets say about 500-600 Caches for the trip???

Alex

Alex,

I have CNv7 and Topo installed on my computer. For both maps, I started at the southern terminus of the AZ-NM border and dragged directly north to the US-Canada border, then west to the Pacific to include all of CA, AZ, and NV, as well as all of UT, ID, WA, and OR, and parts of WY and MT. For both road and topo maps, the total size was 592 MB.

This is just a guess, but Id say you have plenty of space. For one thing the caches arent very big at all and are stored on the units internal memory. The only thing stored on the card is the map data. If i remember correctly TOPO maps are not as big as the road maps.

Alex

There are noe reason for not getting NT maps

and both NT and non NT are version 8

More info here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=141608

The big reason for not getting the NT version is that since it only works on a very few units, it would severely limit your future GPS purchase options. Or, as in my case, if one already owns a non-NT compatible unit along with a NT compatible unit, you would have to purchase both the NT and non-NT versions to use it on both. In my opinion, there is no reason for getting the NT maps... Why would one need the whole DVD on their GPS anyway?

I just called Garmin Sales. The woman who helped me said I should absolutely NOT use the non-NT version of Navigator 8 on my 60CSx. She clarified this for me three times. I asked if she could tell me why, and she passed me on to technical support.

Well, Joe over at Support said exactly the opposite--City Navigator 8 NT should NOT be used on the GPSMap 60CSx, and that it is intended for auto units only.

And again, I asked him to clarify it for me, and I let him know there was a LOT of conflicting information out there.

Just thought I'd share.

I just called Garmin Sales. The woman who helped me said I should absolutely NOT use the non-NT version of Navigator 8 on my 60CSx. She clarified this for me three times. I asked if she could tell me why, and she passed me on to technical support.

Well, Joe over at Support said exactly the opposite--City Navigator 8 NT should NOT be used on the GPSMap 60CSx, and that it is intended for auto units only.

And again, I asked him to clarify it for me, and I let him know there was a LOT of conflicting information out there.

Just thought I'd share.

Didn't someone on the forum post about having used City Nav' v8 "NT" on their 60CSx?

Alex

Playing around with a 1GB card and using City Select v7 I put on:

Canada

Alaska

The continental U.S. from the Pacific Ocean to the Eastern border of Kansas

Boston and surrounding area

The card isn't full.

You can get PLENTY of info on a 1GB card for your trip. :D:ph34r::lol:

How many people realy have the entire USA on the GPS??? I need only about 3 states and the TOPO. The more i think about it the more im leaning toward the v8 and not the NT. Even if i buy the NT the 64mb wont be enough to hold 3 states and the TOPO So im going to get the 1gig card and then the regular v8 would fit and lots of room to spare. The 2gig card is only $25 more at Frys. Seen it at today's paper. I just ordered the 60Cx and the TOPO at buy.com, they didnt have the v8 in stock so im getting it at 4x4books.com with some other cables and mounts it would all end up close to $600 with tax. From reading the forum i think i made a good choice. Any way i hope i did lol.

someone make me feel good about it.

Alex

Just thought I'd share.

The Garmin site SPECIFICALLY lists these units as compatible with City Navigator North America v8

eTrex Vista Cx

eTrex Venture Cx

GPSMAP 60Cx

GPSMAP 60CSx

GPSMAP 76Cx

GPSMAP 76CSx

You can go to this page Garmin and click on the link that says ">>Show Me" and then look at the list for that software package.

BOTH versions work on your 60CSx

Yeah, so I've heard.

I'm just passing along the info that Garmin's tech service is spouting (i.e. to NOT use NT on the Map60CSx), as I thought y'all would find it interesting. Personally, I'm wondering if they're just trying to unload the rest of their non-NT stock before releasing the NT version.

Edited by mishmashcache

Read this FAQ:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=141608

Found in the FAQ section:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=140085

If you have a GPS listed in this list, you can and should use NT maps.

Garmin seems to have made several updates to their own version of what to use or not.

This list is correct. Only missing Mobile XT

NT on the "x" series has been tested and are in use and works perfectly

There is a limit of 2035 map tiles on the 60CSx, If you have both bluechart, topo and City Navigator, you will end up not have enough tiles to load. If the prices of the maps are the same, there are no reasons for not using NT maps. But all are free to choose whatever they like.

There is a limit of 2035 map tiles on the 60CSx, If you have both bluechart, topo and City Navigator, you will end up not have enough tiles to load. If the prices of the maps are the same, there are no reasons for not using NT maps. But all are free to choose whatever they like.

Yes, I can see where that might be a problem, if someone wanted the whole dvd on their unit... Not a problem for most that only use the maps they need. To each his own.

Jotne i cant find the NT anywhere. Seen the listing for $140 but cant find where i seen it. The v8 is for sell for $120 and the 1gig card for $28 at frys. I want to basicly load up about 3 states and just leave them on there all the time. You mentioned that the price is the same. Where can i find it??

Alex

Jotne i cant find the NT anywhere. Seen the listing for $140 but cant find where i seen it. The v8 is for sell for $120 and the 1gig card for $28 at frys. I want to basicly load up about 3 states and just leave them on there all the time. You mentioned that the price is the same. Where can i find it??

Alex

I did write "If the prices of the maps are the same, there are no reasons for not using NT maps"

[clip]

If you have a GPS listed in this list, you can and should use NT maps.

[clip]

I totally agree with "you can", but I strongly disagree with "and should"... This is bad information. Can you give a reason why he "should" on a 60Cx?

Cryppie, I completely agree with your view on the entire "NT or not NT" debate. It's nice to have all of the U.S. loaded so one doesn't have to worry about not having a map. NT could help with the tile limit when loading the whole U.S. on a single 1GB card. Since the maps are more compressed, it might be quicker to load them onto an SD card. However, that would be negated if the individual loads the entire U.S. on their SD card. Other than those couple of advantages, I don't see a "need" for NT. Also, as you pointed out, there are disadvantages. NT might hinder people becasue they won't want to buy a device that is not compatible with CN 8 NT. I still wonder if search time or route calculation would be slower with the NT version?

Before I got my first GPSr, I thought about the maps. I did want the whole U.S. loaded at once just so I wouldn't have to think about loading maps. Now that I own one, I am still using the 128MB card that came with my unit. I have all of Southern California (street and topo) and Maui loaded. Once I start traveling the U.S. more, a 1GB card will be more than enough for me.

Other than being able to load all of City Navigator North America on a 1Gig card there is no advantage for using the NT version of the product. And even that isn't a big advantage, 2Gig cards are out now and will be dirt cheap soon enough. Some have said that map redraw is slower when using the NT version. Another disadvantage of using the NT version is if you pick up an older cheap gps for your son/daughter/wife/significant other so they don't keep stealing your gps is that you wouldn't be able to use your 2nd free unlock code for that older unit.

Well i put my money on the v8 as i couldnt see my self installing complete USA on my 60cx. My next buy would be a 1 gig card and i should be done. Well sort of i would still need to figure out how to use it all lol.

Alex

Garmin sells the NT version directly, had it to my door in 3-4 days with the cheap shipping. Had you gotten the NT version the entire USA would fit on your 1GB card, you can still fit the USA on your GPS if you get a 2gb card. If you only own the X units there is no reason not to get the NT maps, I have yet to see anyone make a direct comparision as to draw times and such, it is STILL fast and much faster than say my Garmin V loaded. It computer an adress to adress search across the country in 30 seconds which is fine for me. The fact that it only uses 63 mapsets will come in handy when I want to load it up with topo as well.

Edited by wickedsprint

I have a 60csx with a 1 gig chip. It does not hold all of street nav 8 on it. I can only get about 2/3rds of the usa on mine . I now have a 2 gig chip ordered and will let ya know when i get it wortking :wub: I also want to install the Topo maps and i was told if i put a 2 gig chip in i can get both sets on my unit.