Question concerning my first cache

IndianaJesusfreak

I'm new to geocaching. I'm in the process of preparing my first cache. I was reading through the rules and I came across this;

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

I was thinking of including some CD's in my cache. The songs are of a religious nature. Would this be acceptable?

I'm new to geocaching. I'm in the process of preparing my first cache. I was reading through the rules and I came across this;

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

I was thinking of including some CD's in my cache. The songs are of a religious nature. Would this be acceptable?

That should not be a problem. You don't need to list what is going in the cache.

I'm an athiest and routinely take out religious paraphernalia like those million-dollar notes with religious writings on the backside; I once took out a dirty rosary. However, I don't have a problem with religious CDs, coins, etc... I haven't come across a Bible, but I would take it out unless it was in a book cache or, it had a fancy cover. That is, one that appeared to be one of a kind. Same with the rosary. And I do post in my log that I removed the item.

Edited by Chuy!

I'm an athiest and routinely take out religious paraphernalia like those million-dollar notes with religious writings on the backside; I once took out a dirty rosary. However, I don't have a problem with religious CDs, coins, etc... I haven't come across a Bible, but I would take it out unless it was in a book cache or, it had a fancy cover. That is, one that appeared to be one of a kind. Same with the rosary. And I do post in my log that I removed the item.

The only religious-themed item I've ever removed from a cache was a comic book obviously geared towards kids titled "Darwin and Evolution - have you been brainwashed?" which was ironic considering the whole thing was geared towards brainwashing the kid into creationism. But whatever...I laughed at it at first, then looked around to make sure I wasn't in Kansas (I wasn't) then removed it and threw it out on my way back to the car.

As for the original question, I wouldn't have a problem with CDs, I guess. Religion is always a touchy subject though.

Thanks for the input guys,

I can see wanting to keep it unoffensive. I have no right to force my veiws on anyone. Likewise, no one has the right to force their views on me. I don't like Nascar racing, But I'm not going around removing every reference to racing because I don't care for it. Remember, you are not the grand censor of the universe.

Edited by IndianaJesusfreak

I have seen some "religiously themed" caches whose name was a religious reference and whose contents contained religous items. I also almost always find religous items in other "neutral" caches as well. (Although by checking my stats you can tell this is isn't from a broad pool of samples!)

But, I live in Mississippi in the Bible belt, so this is not uncommon. I don't think anyone minds enough to make an issue of it. Actually having a religous theme and name is probably better as anyone likely to be offended would hopefully avoid this cache.

I think if I was offended by this I would simply avoid any other caches hidden by that individual. As it is, I'm offended by very few things and am in this for the adventure of the find, not the contents of the cache.

Edited by ic3scrap3r

I'll admit a bias first by saying that I am a Christian, so I am definitely used to seeing all the religious paraphernalia outside of the caching world.

I agree and think it's perfectly reasonable that items that are blatantly trying to preach or convert don't seem appropriate in a cache. So that creationism comic book, or religious tracts, I would probably trash out. (Actually, I'm not a real fan of those tracts in the first place. Who has ever converted to Christianity by reading an oversized comic strip?) Small Bibles I would probably leave, surely someone out there will find it handy, even if they're not religious.

I have been given one of those million dollar bills, and that's something I would probably leave. Yes, it's got religious writing on it, but only in tiny print along the border of the backside. It still serves a neat purpose being a novelty dollar bill.

Not really sure what I would do with a WWJD bracelet in a cache... probably leave it, as it has become iconic enough and it's not being obvious about promoting religion.. ;)

My first response to this is that I'm not a cache censor but that's wrong, we are all cache censors. I wouldn't think twice about removing racist or 'adult' material from a cache but religious or political material is a different matter. As a non believer it wouldn't interest me but I appreciate that there are others who feel differently. If an entire cache is promoting an agenda then that's unacceptable but if we are talking about a few leaflets in an otherwise regular cache then why bother about it. Do they promote an agenda, sure, but only if you choose to read them.

Wow, I can't beleive some of you go around removing perfelctly good swag just because it was something that you didn't care anything about. Some people obviously do or they wouldn't have placed it in there. I don't care to collect every plastic snake that I find in caches. I don't remove them and throw them away though, because the next person that comes along may want the snake. I also don't care to see business cards left in a cache. The only time I have ever taken anything out is when it has been messed up, full of water, moldy, etc. It is very wrong of you to be "cleaning out" someone's cache of items that you "just don't like" when there is nothing wrong with them. you don't have to take them. Take something else in the box. If it is not your cache, you have no business messing with it like that. Would you go around cleaning out Nascar themed items out of caches just because you don't happen to like Nascar? Would you throw away a perfectly good restaurant gift certificate because you ate at that restaurant before and didn't like the food? It is the same thing with religious items that might be in a cache. You don't have to like it. Just ignore it, sign the log, and move on.

I would think that you can put whatever you want in the cache as long as its not food or against the rules of what NOT to put in one.

Right! And, if you find something that is offensive,dangerous, in bad taste, or 'promoting an agenda', You can take it out.

Now, you should trade even, or up. Then the object you traded for is yours, and you can do whatever you like with it. :laughing:

I hate golf and I hate McDonalds. Does that mean I can remove golf balls or McToys because I find them offensive? If someone removed an item I placed in a cache simply because they thought it was inappropriate and didn't return it to me, I would consider that theft. I make jewelry and sometimes place handmade cross necklaces in caches. If you don't like them - IGNORE THEM! But don't steal them!

Would anyone be offended if I took out broken McToys? Or expired bus passes? (Which I actually found in a cache recently)

Of course not. They are garbage. Why? Because they serve no useful purpose.

If I find things in a cache that serve no useful purpose, I will trash them out.

Handmade crosses, million-dollar bills, Bibles, CDs, all serve useful purposes (with our without their religious context) so I would not touch them (unless of course I wanted one for myself).

Little pieces of paper that proclaim "You must believe now!", as much as I believe their message to be true, serve no useful purpose. Either you're already a believer in Religion X, so you don't need the tract, or you're not, and reading a tract isn't going to convince you. They don't help promote the religion, in fact they're a big turn-off to a lot of people. They're hardly worth trading for, cost nearly nothing, and are the first to get soggy when the cache gets damp. Once it gets damp, or crumpled, it's geotrash, and I trash it out.

Granted, that's my opinion, and you're welcome to say I'm wrong.

I can see wanting to keep it unoffensive. I have no right to force my veiws on anyone. Likewise, no one has the right to force their views on me. I don't like Nascar racing, But I'm not going around removing every reference to racing because I don't care for it. Remember, you are not the grand censor of the universe.

This would seem to be comparing kumquats to aardvarks. And that would seem to be inanity. I suppose that if you have deeply held beliefs concerning NASCAR, then you should avoid caches with a NASCAR theme. NASCAR, however, does not promote an agendum. And that is where your analogy fails. Personally, I do not care for NASCAR. My prerogative. But it does not promote an agendum. Your proposal would promote an agendum. As would a political theme. As such, it would see to violate the guidelines.

This would seem to be comparing kumquats to aardvarks. And that would seem to be inanity. I suppose that if you have deeply held beliefs concerning NASCAR, then you should avoid caches with a NASCAR theme. NASCAR, however, does not promote an agendum. And that is where your analogy fails. Personally, I do not care for NASCAR. My prerogative. But it does not promote an agendum. Your proposal would promote an agendum. As would a political theme. As such, it would see to violate the guidelines.

I don't believe having one or two item in an eclectic cache qualifies as promoting an agendum. I ask you, if I included an Ozzie Ozborne CD instead of a DC Talk CD would I be promoting an agendum?

To quote a seasoned geocacher on the subject;

Harry Dolphin wrote:

I believe that a cache should be left the way I found it, unless it needs repair.

Little wierd things like these are what give a cache it's uniqueness and make each one memorable. If all caches were the same, it wouldn't be very much fun now, would it?

Nascar not promoting an agenda....hmmmm. I wonder why companies pay them to place advertisments on their cars?

People who leave Nascar stuff know there are other people who like it. People who leave DC talk know other people (not just Christians) like the music.

Abigail

Nascar not promoting an agenda....hmmmm. I wonder why companies pay them to place advertisments on their cars?

People who leave Nascar stuff know there are other people who like it. People who leave DC talk know other people (not just Christians) like the music.

Abigail

Abigail,

You're comparing aardvarks and kumquats. Obviously, you failed to comprehend my point.

What agendum does NASCAR promote, that is in violation of geocaching guidelines? The fact that they accept advertising? What a bizarre concept! I was quite shocked to find a three-story advertisement on the breather tube of the Lincoln Tunnel. I thought that the Port Authroity was above that.

The point is: If you wish to avoid arguments, never discuss politics or religion. That is the way things are done in polite society, because those are the subjects that will cause the most arguments (well, after micro caches, and signing the outside of caches with a Sharpie.)

As such, those subjects are best avoided, unless you have an agendum.

And that was my advice to the JesusFreak: You are better off to avoid such controversial subjects.

Abigail

Abigail,

You're comparing aardvarks and kumquats. Obviously, you failed to comprehend my point.

What agendum does NASCAR promote, that is in violation of geocaching guidelines? The fact that they accept advertising? What a bizarre concept! I was quite shocked to find a three-story advertisement on the breather tube of the Lincoln Tunnel. I thought that the Port Authroity was above that.

The point is: If you wish to avoid arguments, never discuss politics or religion. That is the way things are done in polite society, because those are the subjects that will cause the most arguments (well, after micro caches, and signing the outside of caches with a Sharpie.)

As such, those subjects are best avoided, unless you have an agendum.

And that was my advice to the JesusFreak: You are better off to avoid such controversial subjects.

Why would leaving a Christian CD offend anyone? I think Nascar is totally redneck (I do have close family members who watch :laughing: ) but I don't care if you place it in a cache. Believe me, we DON'T need to promote rednecks. :laughing::laughing:

I am not leaving Christian tracks. Someone has already stated they usually are the first thing wet and moldy. And I know they would turn people off when they see 'em.

I do leave Christian music. Gasp. Would I love for someone to hear the music and respond to Jesus? Sure. Is it OK if they just like the music? Yeah. I know people who are not Christians who listen to Christian music. If I didn't think someone would want it I wouldn't leave it for swag.

The point of swag is leaving something that has value(in the eye of the beholder) that someone else will appreciate.

He is using it as swag. He is not proposing to have a Christian themed cache.

I agree totally about not arguing about politics or religion.

I can agree to disagree about the rest. :laughing:

Abigail

So where is the line drawn? Christian tracks I would have to say is a no-no. Having been a non-Christian for years in the past most of that kind of stuff was a turn-off to me. I would probably trash that stuff myself. And as someone has already stated, it gets damp and trashed pretty quick. Christian music? My kids listen to it and that is great. At least they aren't hearing any cuss words or degrading of others. I wouldn't throw out any music that was in there. Even if I don't agree with it, somebody would probably like one of those RAP CDs. Bibles? Hey, it is one of the great literary works of our times and makes a pretty good history book. Pulling this stuff out of the cache and then stating it in your post is "Promoting an Agenda", the belief in Athiesm.

What about gift cards to a restaurant, bookstore, etc. That is a form of advertising. I get them all the time in the mail. Got two in my wallet right now, one for $5 at Kohls and another for $10 at CompUSA.

I think the line is drawn at whether or not the CACHE itself is promoting an agenda.

If I put out (to continue the religious theme) a cache called, I dunno, "Cache for Jesus", and put in a bunch of small Bibles, WWJD bracelets, "Jesus Loves You" pencils and bumper stickers, Hillsongs CD's, and hid the cache in the bushes by the local Pentecostal church, well, obviously that's promoting an agenda and people would probably be offended.

If I put WWJD bracelets into every cache I visit, as a personal signature item, I could personally be accused of having an agenda, but you visiting the cache would still see a variety of trade items, and you would be free to take (or not) the stuff I leave behind. If you had an issue with the items I left, you would take it up with me, not the cache owner.

Same goes for gift cards to shops, etc. If the cache is full of gift cards to Sam's Gift Shop, and oh, look, happens to be in Sam's front yard... well, that's clearly a commercial interest. But if I happen to love shopping at Sam's and I want to leave gift cards at random caches I visit, I see nothing wrong with that. Again, you'd be free to take it, or not.

What agendum does NASCAR promote, that is in violation of geocaching guidelines?

They seek mass quantities of advertising dollars and are thus a commercial venture - using some of the logic in this thread and the same guidelines clause - all Nascar theme trade goods should be banned.

Nothing wrong with leaving christian music any more than leaving devil worship music or Muslim Music or American Indian fulte music as a trade item. If it offends you - don't take it.

Just what makes you think its ok for you to take this stuff out of a cache? Just because you "don't believe" does not make it right for you to touch any of it.... People like you make me sick.

. Your proposal would promote an agendum. As would a political theme. As such, it would see to violate the guidelines.

a·gen·dum (-jndm) Pronunciation Key

n. pl. a·gen·da (-d) also a·gen·dums

Something to be done, especially an item on a program or list.

Agendum is defined as something to be done, especially an Item on a list. I have not asked anyone to do anything. If I had left something saying "Vote for John Doe" or "Come to my Church" or "You must be saved" That would be an agendum. But I did not leave a list of things that must be done or even mention one thing that you must do. I merely put a CD in my cache.

My nickname on this and several other forums is "IndianaJesusfreak". The Title song on the CD is "Jesusfreak". This is my way of introducing myself to the local geocaching community. The rules say to "keep it light". The lyrics of the song include the words; "I saw a man with a "tat" on his big fat belly. It wiggled around like marmalade jelly. It took me a while to catch what it said 'cause I had to match the rhythm of his belly with my head".

If that song is too heavy for you I don't know what to tell you.

This is how you handle religious items in caches.

If you find something in a cache that you dislike the only responsibility you have is to trade even, trade up, or don't trade at all.

If you find something in a cache that you like the only responsibility you have is to trade even, trade up, or don't trade at all.

As long as you are not violating copyright laws, go for it.

I recently did a cache in another state that was for trading music only. I thought the idea was very neat, and I'd like to eventually do one in my own area. (I'm new to caching, so taking my time learning the ropes before becoming a hider).

Anyway, the ammo case was nothing but CD's, and that's all that was allowed to be traded in it. There were several religious CD's, as well as Metal, Pop, etc. Anyone could be offended by any of those, really. In my opinion, it's just a risk the seeker takes when they open a cache. You never know what's under the lid. So, I'd say Go For It! <_<

Edited by Bumble Bees

Wow, I can't beleive some of you go around removing perfelctly good swag just because it was something that you didn't care anything about. Some people obviously do or they wouldn't have placed it in there. I don't care to collect every plastic snake that I find in caches. I don't remove them and throw them away though, because the next person that comes along may want the snake. I also don't care to see business cards left in a cache. The only time I have ever taken anything out is when it has been messed up, full of water, moldy, etc. It is very wrong of you to be "cleaning out" someone's cache of items that you "just don't like" when there is nothing wrong with them. you don't have to take them. Take something else in the box. If it is not your cache, you have no business messing with it like that. Would you go around cleaning out Nascar themed items out of caches just because you don't happen to like Nascar? Would you throw away a perfectly good restaurant gift certificate because you ate at that restaurant before and didn't like the food? It is the same thing with religious items that might be in a cache. You don't have to like it. Just ignore it, sign the log, and move on.

Amen.

Oops, sorry. I mean I agree.

I think it's sad that people trash stuff like Chick Tracts when they find them. Those things are hysterically funny

Yup. My paternal grandfather was a member of a spinter sect of a splinter sect of a splinter sect of sort-of-Baptists-mostly-looney-tunes-definitely-hypocrites-born-agains (1) and used to give me and my sisters Chick comics.

What he never knew was that as soon as he left, we read them and howled with laughter... even when we were as young as 6 or 7. Which is why my parents (2) never had a problem with Grandaddy's prosletizing; they knew their kids had enough intelligence and common sense to see through it... just as my father had by about age 11.

As adults, none of us are Christians.... we (there are 4 of us) are one Amma devotee, one agnostic, one New agey semi-flake-semi-Christian, and one Celtic-oriented NeoPagan with smatterings of Zen Buddhism. We're all very spiritually oriented people with good principles and values, with friends of many persuasions ... and we all STILL think Chick comics are hysterically funny. B)

Which brings me to my point, after much rambling... ever occur to you "censors" that A. someone might have put in the Chick comic to give others a laugh and B. even if the leaver was serious, you might try - like my parents - trusting others to have common sense about 'em??

The ONLY thing I would think it 100% appropriate to remove from a cache as a matter of "censorship" would be graphic porn (since kids cache).

(1) They kept getting in fights with each other over what was "sin" and who was going to be "saved" and splitting into smaller groups; my father left home at 16, partially to get away from it. To give you an idea of the mentality:

When my cousin got married,

a. the preacher said in his prayer "And we thank God that we are saved!" - then remembered that there were non-sect members present and quickly said "Well, SOME of us are, anyway." (I am NOT making this up!)

b. The sect considers it a sin to play musical instruments... so the bride walked down the aisle to a RECORDING of Lohengrin's March. :ph34r: Guess it was ok for the person who made the recording to go to hell for the sake of the bride.

(2) My parents are what I consider "real Christians", IOW people who actually try to live their lives by what Christ taught. My father, after leaving the insanity of his upbringing, became a Lutheran; Mam is the daughter of a Methodist minister.

Edited by cimawr

Maybe it's something like a chick flick!? :ph34r: LOL!

Now for those that think that they have the right to censure what they find in a cache(other than their own) If it is not appropriate material for a child, then I think it should be removed(i.e. porn ect.) but if it is something that just rubs you the wrong way because you don't adhere to those beliefs, leave it for someone else to trade for and ignore it!

That's my two cents, and I'm stickin' to it!

Ghostrider6 - out.

It's the hunt, not the content that drives us. Everything else is just a bonus! Good Hunting!

Chick tracts are small religious comic books about the size of index cards that folks buy in mass quanitites to distrubute and thus pass along their particular far-right version of the word of God. I'm sure there are knock offs, but the best ones are published by a guy named Jack Chick. http://www.chick.com/catalog/tractlist.asp They are a guaranteed laugh or seven. :ph34r:B):huh: I'm thinking about buying a bunch to use as trading items.

I am a Christian. I do not use caches as a means to distribute material of a religious nature. However, I am disturbed by your actions. What do you feel gives you the right to "police" caches for religious materials. I could understand removing something like a knife, gun, matches, or something dangerous. But, removing something just because your world view does not coincide with another is quite heavy handed.

What ever happened to polite people keeping their religion and politics to themselves? Guess I'm an old-timer now, longing for days gone by.

I just hope nobody spoils this for everyone. You'll see voter buttons, gay rights issues, pro abortion cards, and what not if everyone thinks they have a right to put in what they want. Lets all just keep our opinions about religion and politics to ourselves?? PLEASE???

Edited by BearHuggers

I just wanted to say that I completely agree with this comment. I was mortified by what I had been reading up until that comment! Thanks, back2eight, for being someone with some decency!

-HauntHunters

What ever happened to polite people keeping their religion and politics to themselves? Guess I'm an old-timer now, longing for days gone by.

I just hope nobody spoils this for everyone. You'll see voter buttons, gay rights issues, pro abortion cards, and what not if everyone thinks they have a right to put in what they want. Lets all just keep our opinions about religion and politics to ourselves?? PLEASE???

Pro-abortion? I've never heard that before! You mean pro-choice?

-HauntHunters

Seems that taking something from a cache just because "I don't believe in that" would be censorship. :tired:

It is up to the individual what to put in a cache, if it isn't something you like, leave it!!! The only things that would be acceptable to throw away would be obvious trash, like used/expired tickets, candy or hamburger wrappers, or items that could be considered in poor taste (as in porn or adult items) by the general population (remember, many cache with children or grandchildren).

I have seen a New Testament in a cache, it is now a travel bug (tag inside front cover). Would this be considered offensive, particularly when you read of it's mission? Even if you don't profess Christianity, would you move this, or just remove it and discard someone's property and ruin their enjoyment?

I sometimes find it humorous that those who advocate the rights of others are the first to practice censorship when conflict with their opinions or beliefs arise. Why can't we just accept that others may have different beliefs? I'll only hit you over the head with my Bible when you tell me I can't read it where I choose!!

Whooowe I sure hope this place doesn't deteriorate into Trollville USA like a Jeep forum I used to hang out on did. It went from intelligent Jeep owners aged about 16 to 70 discussing their Jeeps to a bunch of middle schoolers who could hardly spell "Jeep" much less own or drive one. How about a truce here. You don't mess with my stuff and I won't mess with yours (except of course trade even, trade up, or sign and go)

HG

:blink: Wow this forum goes from a good discussion to hostile fast. I would just like to say that studying the bible has changed my life in many ways. I do not agree with almost all religions because they do not teach or do what the bible says. That being said all the people I have met in my short time GeoCaching seem to be very open minded and nice, I don't know what they all believe about the bible or god and that doesn't affect how I view them. I do believe that the world would be a better place if the majority of people followed the bibles standards of living, but god gave us all free will (or if you don't believe in god you still have free will) so what you do in all reality is your business. Now with that long winded preface I was going to say this.

When I am out caching I usually do not take items I carry quite a few nice items to leave for other people. I love TravelBugs so I exchange them whenever possible. I do leave small bible based tracts or small magazines that I have read personally and enjoyed. They have a small sticker on them that has a short note and my email address. Then if whoever finds them likes what they read they can contact me and ask for something else or give me some feedback on what they thought about it. Or if the CACHE OWNER sees them and does not want them in their cache they can email me to let me know not to leave them there.

I am not forcing anyone to change their religion or to read what I leave; I am sinply sharing something that has affected my life in a positive way. If it effects someone elses life in the same way I will be very happy, however if you do not wish to even look at it please don't trash it. Just leave it be maybe it is just what the next person to show up needs that day.

Sorry for the LONG LONG Post.

Happy Caching to all of you.........See you on the trail

OriginalIrishman

UTAG Blacksun

Seems that taking something from a cache just because "I don't believe in that" would be censorship. :blink:

It is up to the individual what to put in a cache, if it isn't something you like, leave it!!! The only things that would be acceptable to throw away would be obvious trash, like used/expired tickets, candy or hamburger wrappers, or items that could be considered in poor taste (as in porn or adult items) by the general population (remember, many cache with children or grandchildren).

I have seen a New Testament in a cache, it is now a travel bug (tag inside front cover). Would this be considered offensive, particularly when you read of it's mission? Even if you don't profess Christianity, would you move this, or just remove it and discard someone's property and ruin their enjoyment?

I sometimes find it humorous that those who advocate the rights of others are the first to practice censorship when conflict with their opinions or beliefs arise. Why can't we just accept that others may have different beliefs? I'll only hit you over the head with my Bible when you tell me I can't read it where I choose!!

If you place a pamphlet into cache whether it be to bring me to Christ or a way the best way to cook sweet potatoes, you are giving me the right to trade for it, regardless of my reasoning for taking it.

Are you saying that I can't disagree with whatever is the agenda for placing it? hmmmm?