Self-timer self-portraits

Mule Ears

When I solo-hike to remote caches, I frequently use the camera's self-timer to take a self-portrait at the cache site. Take enough of these, and they start to look the same. So lately I've been trying to come up with creative ideas to improve these shots. Have you seen or done any really creative self-timer shots? Display them here.

I'll start. On a recent hike to "C6" I wanted a long shot with plenty of scenery in it. So I decided to pose sitting up high on a rock outcrop about 10 yards from the camera. It took quite a few tries to get into position in the 10-second self-timer countdown. So I made a collage of all the outtakes:

03555002-bebc-449f-a50e-7527d64681c8.jpg

This is my favorite "self timer" photo, because of the mad dash to run 50 feet and stand on top of the odd stone structure in the middle of nowhere. From looking at the relaxed poses, you can't tell that LisaS made that run, and that Barefoot and I lifted her up so she could be in the picture. From: Elves in the Vortex. My next cache in that park will likely go right in the area of this photo.

d3111cd3-ab3b-4016-98f3-b63bfb30c81c.jpg

Reminds me of the time I was alone and needed to take a photo of myself for a virtual and all I had was a disposable camera. It took me about 8 tries. I taped the camera to the bed of my truck, then taped one end of a board to the truck, and set the middle lightly on the shutter button. On the other end of the stick, I tied a rope attached to yet another stick which balanced on the edge of the truck bed. My plan - throw things at that stick, which would make it fall, adding weight to the board and depressing the shutter button.

As mentioned, it took a few failed attempts before I got the picture, knocking the camera off a few times and just not hitting the shutter button right other times. The picture still turned out blurry but got me the find.

Reminds me of the time I was alone and needed to take a photo of myself for a virtual and all I had was a disposable camera. It took me about 8 tries. I taped the camera to the bed of my truck, then taped one end of a board to the truck, and set the middle lightly on the shutter button. On the other end of the stick, I tied a rope attached to yet another stick which balanced on the edge of the truck bed. My plan - throw things at that stick, which would make it fall, adding weight to the board and depressing the shutter button.

As mentioned, it took a few failed attempts before I got the picture, knocking the camera off a few times and just not hitting the shutter button right other times. The picture still turned out blurry but got me the find.

Did you ever play mousetrap?

It took me several tries to get this shot. It is at the Madison Boulder Earthcache in NH. I wanted to get as much of the rock in there as possible, and so had to put the camera a good distance away. The pups were with me and I kept trying to get them in the shot as well, but they didn't cooperate.

I think I ended up taking about 10 pictures, mostly of my backside before I got the one to post.

e06d3ac9-7628-4b46-b7a4-34ed1d14243f.jpg

a2547a18-bb87-4a4a-a39b-ff37935eb892.jpg

This one was tricky. We were in a cave called the Devil's Icebox. I set up the camera on a tripod, turned off the flash, and used a remote control to snap the photo. We had to remain totally still. I've since used the remote everytime (you can see it in my hand). We also made sure to shine our lights on the ledge just under the camera, to provide just a bit of light on our faces without screwing up the picture.

Edited by Kiamichi Muskrat

Wow! Great pictures and stories. I love the Rube Goldberg remote shutter release. And the cave shot--National Geographic stuff.

I use the great old fashioned arm's length technique. The Snoogstress says mountain climbers call it a "summit shot."

Yup, and in a less-complimentary vein, "hero shot." What a great portrait of you two--congrats!

On a recent trip to PA, I had the opportunity to cache with The Leprechauns. We took a timer shot photo near a natural spring area. You don't know how a photo is really going to turn out until you get home. When I looked at this shot, I just had to laugh.

Though I may not be the boss of Keystone, I surely radiate like a geo-god in this photograph!

b678e027-e978-4067-8096-8d03118197a9.jpg

My new camera has an adjustable timer, so no more running to a photo for me.

On a recent trip to PA, I had the opportunity to cache with The Leprechauns. We took a timer shot photo near a natural spring area. You don't know how a photo is really going to turn out until you get home. When I looked at this shot, I just had to laugh.

Though I may not be the boss of Keystone, I surely radiate like a geo-god in this photograph!

b678e027-e978-4067-8096-8d03118197a9.jpg

My new camera has an adjustable timer, so no more running to a photo for me.

Wow, I cached with an apparition. No wonder you didn't stand a ghost of a chance to find any of the caches first that day.

Having just gone out to Monhegan Island on the ferry Balmy Days II out of Boothbay Harbor with the geocrew last weekend, I took this photo with the self timer on my Olympus 5050. The cache that we did a maintenance on was # GC9216. A great place for a day of hiking on the beautiful Maine coast.

Oh yeah, that is me in the unorthodox crouched position in the front.

MonheganTrip2006062Medium.jpg

Edited by haffy

That pic you took with Puppymonster was with the timer, too....pretty darn cool. :) Since I've already posted it in another thread, I restrain myself here. :)

La, la la, la la, la la la. Look, something shiny!

(Yes, that is the most hysterical self timer shot I have ever taken.)

Wow, I cached with an apparition. No wonder you didn't stand a ghost of a chance to find any of the caches first that day.

:):):huh::P:) Touché!

Did you ever play mousetrap?

My grandparents had that game. I was too young at the time to play by the rules but just made stuff up for the fun of it. Plus, I was married for a while so I was taught quickly how to do things by myself. :anitongue:

Having just gone out to Monhegan Island on the ferry Balmy Days II out of Boothbay Harbor with the geocrew last weekend, I took this photo with the self timer on my Olympus 5050. The cache that we did a maintenance on was # GC9216. A great place for a day of hiking on the beautiful Maine coast.

Oh yeah, that is me in the unorthodox crouched position in the front.

Wow, that's one ugly cuss in the black shirt in the back center.

This is my favorite "self timer" photo, because of the mad dash to run 50 feet and stand on top of the odd stone structure in the middle of nowhere. From looking at the relaxed poses, you can't tell that LisaS made that run, and that Barefoot and I lifted her up so she could be in the picture. From: Elves in the Vortex. My next cache in that park will likely go right in the area of this photo.

Wow, the woods of western PA certainly have a distinctive "look". I recognized the area before I looked at who took it and where. Great caching area.

This is my favorite long-arm self-portrait, taken at this cache with the in-cache camera. It came out exactly as creepy as I hoped. I framed it, then moved myself around, holding the camera in space and trying not to change its position. It actually worked.

3bd12c58-f71a-467c-bd9b-f1e374894c53.jpg

Edited by Dinoprophet

Great pictures! ROTFLOL But I have to ask - what picture were you hoping for?

The complete reverse of Take 2, but with the terrain I could never get in the hole and get my head back out in time. Take 3 was really take 20 and was me giving up.

Edited by Mix

I'm sorry you didn't get your picture, but you gave the rest of us a good laugh! You certainly have a great sense of humor! Still laughing . . . . . .

The complete reverse of Take 2, but with the terrain I could never get in the hole and get my head back out in time. Take 3 was really take 20 and was me giving up.

I dunno how "creative" these are, but they're my more recent ones.

#1: For this one I set it for 30 seconds, and to take 5 pictures (one each second). Took a few tries to make it all the way up there (rocks were slippery so it was slow going). On my last try, I noticed I had been running right over/by a copperhead during each trip from the camera to the dam. Ooops.

b574d480-b6fe-4ca1-af1f-b2e308fefbcc.jpg

#2: Going for a swim to go get a cache (which I DNF'd and got into some very angry ants on). It came out blurry though, but didn't know until I got back home.

219a5d8a-1cbb-4828-a30d-3ed7913ef6c5.jpg

#3: Literally the worse "trail" I've ever been on.

a6560afd-cbee-4c12-a396-08451cf2f777.jpg

#4: Couldn't get this ol rust bucket to start

200607-177.jpg

#5: Just a view on a creek

fbed69ab-3ce3-46c7-bd4f-55caf0f81bab.jpg

#6: A little bit of a run to get up there before the timer went off:

f23c86a3-ad5a-4e97-b47a-41a1df315dbd.jpg

#7: Outside another tunnel:

f43f0912-79b4-4bf6-b6db-49c10fa329d9.jpg

#8: I like to call this my Batman angle

99b92c30-dc9f-4d00-b0d0-0cfe3cb56517.jpg

#9: Just another self-portrait