GPSMAP 60xxx Screen Fade/Power Off While In Use

cryppie

Hi, new here, first post!

I ran across another topic where this has happened to others, and thought I would share my experience with it. I have a 60cs that I use mostly in the car, but also take ATV'ing. The screen started fading out and turning off about two years ago. After poking and prodding for awhile trying to find a cause, I noticed it would do it when I pressed in on the sides of the unit, or when shaking it. Over time, it got worse, so I took it apart to fix it. Under the LCD screen there are two metal prongs that sit on two brass contacts. When I would move the screen a bit, it would fade out. So, I bent the prongs out more, put it back together, and was happy to have a working unit again. Well, the happiness didn't last. A week later, it happened again. I figured the prongs bent back (although they are pretty sturdy), so I took it apart again. The prongs were fine. Looking closer, I noticed the contacts were very slightly discolored where the prongs touched them, corroded just a little. It wouldn't wipe off, so I got the dremel out and very lightly sanded the corrosion off. Put contact grease on it to stop the corrosion, put it back together, and it has been fine ever since. A word of warning about taking the unit apart... It has a rubber gasket that runs around the edge of the case that is glued on to waterproof the unit. Unless you re-glue the gasket, it probably is not going to be waterproof anymore. I did not re-glue it and have had my ATV buried many times and have not had a problem.

cryppie

I'll just mention that most of the time the source of this problem is poor contact with the batteries in the battery compartment, and not the ribbon cable inside the unit (ribbon cable problems are more common in the B&W Vista and Legend units).

For most users, bending the battery contacts out and putting a small piece of polystyrene foam (think disposable coffee cup) behind them does the trick. I would certainly try this before disassembling the unit.

I've had a similar problem that is definitely not battery related. When I turn a certain corner in Houston, my 60CSx simply turns off - every time. It even does it in demo mode! Garmin had no clue and suggested a submit it as a mapping problem. I did, except it does not happen with the 60CS that I also own. [been using City Select ver 7 - just got CN ver 8, so maybe the problem will not happen again. I sure hope it's not my 60CSx!]

I've had a similar problem that is definitely not battery related. When I turn a certain corner in Houston, my 60CSx simply turns off - every time. It even does it in demo mode! Garmin had no clue and suggested a submit it as a mapping problem. I did, except it does not happen with the 60CS that I also own. [been using City Select ver 7 - just got CN ver 8, so maybe the problem will not happen again. I sure hope it's not my 60CSx!]

There is an area like that in a park in Seattle. Every single time I have driven across one section it powes off, pluged in or not.

Mine did that once while doing a recalcuation across the country..I figured it had had to recalculate one to many times and it was too much for it.

Now I wonder what really cuased it?

There is an area like that in a park in Seattle. Every single time I have driven across one section it powes off, pluged in or not.

I'll just mention that most of the time the source of this problem is poor contact with the batteries in the battery compartment, and not the ribbon cable inside the unit (ribbon cable problems are more common in the B&W Vista and Legend units).

For most users, bending the battery contacts out and putting a small piece of polystyrene foam (think disposable coffee cup) behind them does the trick. I would certainly try this before disassembling the unit.

The battery contacts were the first things I checked. Good point though. I would hate for someone to take their unit apart when it's just the batteries. I think most people are smarter than that though. It wasn't the battery contacts in my case. It also wasn't the ribbon cable.

Hi, new here, first post!

I ran across another topic where this has happened to others, and thought I would share my experience with it. I have a 60cs that I use mostly in the car, but also take ATV'ing. The screen started fading out and turning off about two years ago. After poking and prodding for awhile trying to find a cause, I noticed it would do it when I pressed in on the sides of the unit, or when shaking it. Over time, it got worse, so I took it apart to fix it. Under the LCD screen there are two metal prongs that sit on two brass contacts. When I would move the screen a bit, it would fade out. So, I bent the prongs out more, put it back together, and was happy to have a working unit again. Well, the happiness didn't last. A week later, it happened again. I figured the prongs bent back (although they are pretty sturdy), so I took it apart again. The prongs were fine. Looking closer, I noticed the contacts were very slightly discolored where the prongs touched them, corroded just a little. It wouldn't wipe off, so I got the dremel out and very lightly sanded the corrosion off. Put contact grease on it to stop the corrosion, put it back together, and it has been fine ever since. A word of warning about taking the unit apart... It has a rubber gasket that runs around the edge of the case that is glued on to waterproof the unit. Unless you re-glue the gasket, it probably is not going to be waterproof anymore. I did not re-glue it and have had my ATV buried many times and have not had a problem.

cryppie

This happened to me, and my replacement 60Cx lasted 2 hours on the motorcycle before it displayed the same symptoms. In my case, it is not the battery contacts, it is something internal. Once the unit is warm, on battery power, if you squeeze the sides, the screen fades and power is lost. I think the dirty contacts you describe are from small arcs when the contacts break contact with the prongs. I'm tempted to open it up, but don't want to lose the warranty. I read somewhere (can't find it now) of another person who just soldered small wires from the contacts to the other circuit board to fix the problem permanently. I think your "contact grease" is the same as automotive "bulb grease" (conductive grease), and I'll look for some. I hope no one confuses this with "dielectric" grease, which is an insulator, and would make the problem worse.

How long has your unit been working now with the contact grease fix? Two years?

Well I couldn't find bulb or contact grease at the auto parts stores.

Where did you get this stuff?

I've had a tube for years, so I'm not positive, but I think I got it at Ace Hardware. It is called contact grease, made by CRC. Lowes or Home Depot probably has it, it's pretty common stuff. My father also has some but he couldn't remember where he got it. His is made by LubriMatic. Do a Google search for "contact grease" if you can't find it at your local stores. There are a few places that sell it online.

I also use my 60cs on my motorcycle. In fact, that is when it started to fade out on me. Maybe the rough roads around here... Yours is doing the same as mine was, squeeze the sides and it turns off. It got worse over time. Yes, it has been fine for 2 years or more. I ordered a 60cx last week, will be here tomorrow. Hate to hear that it will probably do the same.

Opened the 60Cx up today, and see the problem clearly. Gold pads on the circuit board, and the chrome battery prongs. The usb prongs are gold, and I'm sure they will never have a problem. I bent the prongs out a little, cleaned up the gold pads with an eraser, and put some bulb grease on the prongs. Solved the screen fade when pressing the sides. Of course, I haven't used it on the bike yet :-)

I found "bulb grease" at autozone in a small red and yellow packet hanging on a display on the counter top by one of the registers.

Hope this works for awhile, if not i may just solder some small wires to ensure contact.

Thanks again for the tip!

Hallelujah! This same problem creeped up on me the first day of a four day bike trip. I had the entire route in my gps and it became annoyingly more frequent as the trip progressed. Prior to that I had hundreds of carefree miles biking to work and such. At first I thought it was the known battery terminal issue. I nearly broke off my second battery contact (the first one I did years ago but found a quick fix) trying to solve the problem. That never worked and I knew it had to be something else. Reading this thread and squeezing the unit's sides confirms the problem. I was considering sending it back to Garmin but they charge $135 for a re manufactured replacement. I'll find some contact grease and silicone and crack mine open this weekend.

Thanks a zillion Cryppie!

Steve

http://windycitybiker.blogspot.com

FYI, These are the contacts you should look for. I didn't notice them at first and disassembled the unit more than I needed to.

cf9e4405-4e41-4862-8253-6efeec36d2e7.jpg

Wow, thanks for the picture. It was a simple fix. Cleaned the battery and contact area with vinegar solution to get rid of alkaline leakage from batteries, then cleaned contact points with 800 grit sandpaper. Put it back together and problem is gone.

Thx!