How do I load the Garmin US topo info so I don't have to put the disk in every time?

ajacobs

I asked exactly this of the Garmin Techs, and here's their reply. (Unfortunately, it's a "reinstall". No simple method).

-----------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Garmin.

Try this workaround:

-Uninstall US TOPO from the Add/Remove in the Control Panel.

-Shutdown the computer for 30 seconds or longer.

-Copy ENTIRE contents of all the TOPO CD-ROM's to the hard drive to a NEW

FOLDER you create.

-Take out CD-ROM from computer.

-Run the Setup.exe from the NEW FOLDER.

-Download and install the latest version of MapSource from the website (and

do the TOPO basemap patch download, too):

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

-Run MapSource.

I asked exactly this of the Garmin Techs, and here's their reply. (Unfortunately, it's a "reinstall". No simple method).

My bet is there's a registry entry somewhere. I don't have the software, or I'd search for it.

Also, shutting down your computer for 5 seconds or 5 hours will have the same effect on the software. Weird they even put that in there.

My bet is there's a registry entry somewhere. I don't have the software, or I'd search for it.

Also, shutting down your computer for 5 seconds or 5 hours will have the same effect on the software. Weird they even put that in there.

I used the same method as mentioned by BigLarry. I did not have to edit the registry.

As stated above I simply created a folder on the harddrive and named it after each disk ie. east, west and alaska or whatever. I then went into the disk under explore and copied all files on that disk to the new folder then i ran the .exe file from there. It installed the whole thing to the pc and no need for the disk.