Garmin 60Csx & Maps

thornomad

Hi,

Am in the process of lusting over a GPS unit (my first). I want one I can use on the road (in the car) and on the trail (bike or hike). The Garmin 60Csx seems like a good fit. I know I need to buy TOPO and Road software (City Navigator North America) to upload but I had a couple questions:

1. Does city navigator cover only cities ? Or will it do all roads in north america ?

2. The 60Csx comes with a miniSD card (64mb) how many maps can this hold ? Like, would I be able to store all one state on this card ? If I bought a 1GB card, how much could I store ?

3. Can i have topo maps and city maps on the same card at the same time? I am thinking of times I bike and hike and drive and travel. Or would I just record my route and then upload the data to the pertinent device ?

Thanks!

D

1. City navigator is not just cities it covers most all roads in North America (it only covers major raods in Mexico). You can use Garmins Mapviewer by going to http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ to see a speciifc map coverage for a specific area.

2. I have the 1 gig card as I travel quite a bit but a state will probably fit fine on the 64 meg card depending on what state it is.

3. You can have the top maps and any other compatible map on the card at the same time but they dont overlay so you have to manually switch between them as needed.

Unless you do almost no traveling beyond an hour or so of your home you are handicapping a great GPSr by using a 64MB card. A 1GB or even a 2GB card is not all that much of an investment for loading all the mapping you may ever need. I keep a vast area of North America for road routing, the Eastern 24K National Parks Topo, much of the eastern US Topo, plus all the tides on a 2GB card. It's a 2 click process to switch from one set of maps to another at anytime. The big advantage of moving up to the C(s)x series (other that the great Sirf chip) was the ability to load beyond the 64MB limitation of the C(s).

It's a 2 click process to switch from one set of maps to another at anytime.

Firstly, you MUST download any maps and sectors to your GPSr on the SAME download. OK, now you have: Basemap, CNav, and Topo all loaded. Automatically CNav will take priority as long as it is turned on, Topo is priortized as second. While on the map screen of your GPSr press Menu/Setup/then if you click on "Turn off CNav" you will be showing Topo. Don't forget to turn CNav back on when you want to route again or you'll be routing off the basemap.

Firstly, you MUST download any maps and sectors to your GPSr on the SAME download. OK, now you have: Basemap, CNav, and Topo all loaded. Automatically CNav will take priority as long as it is turned on, Topo is priortized as second. While on the map screen of your GPSr press Menu/Setup/then if you click on "Turn off CNav" you will be showing Topo. Don't forget to turn CNav back on when you want to route again or you'll be routing off the basemap.

Excellent, thanks!