Tree-o-caching

NickfromWI

Okay, first of all, this seems like a cool site. I'm ashamed that I JUST learned about it. I can already see that I'm going to get very addicted to geocaching.

On to my question: Have you heard of recreational tree climbing? Maybe another name would be technical tree climbing. Tall trees, ropes, harnesses, helmets, etc. see Tree Climber's Coalition or Tree Climbers International

Well, some of us over there have been throwing around this idea to start our own form of geocaching where the caches would be UP in the trees and getting to them would involve a prior understanding of all that's involved in climbing trees.

If there were demand for it, can you see reasons NOT to have a section at here that was designated to treeocachers? I was thinking a little icon so that when I looked at the map of caches near me, I could see a little tree or something that would tell me that if I want to get to that cache, I better bring my climbing gear.

Any thoughts?

love

nick

That is one way to go about it...but can there be more for the prospective treeocacher? I'd love to have a way that if you'd only like to see the tree caches near you, that's all you see...or something like that.

Can you think of a way I might go about this?

love

nick

You can suggest it to the Reviewer community or Groundspeak, but I seriously doubt there would be enough interest for it to get its own cache-type classification.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Unfortunately there's not a way to search the descriptions of caches, only the cache titles. Otherwise you could find what you're looking for that way.

Unless a cache has an attribute (most attributes are too general to find specific kinds, and a lot of caches aren't even marked with any) you don't really have a way to find caches that have something in common like that.

A suggestion: You've coined a catchy term--Treeocache--for your proposed style of hide. Why not urge fellow treeocachers to use that term in the title of any treeocache they place. That would make it easy for fellow treeocachers to find the listings that interest them without the need for an entirely new category.

AlabamaRambler- thanks for the suggestion about the Reviewer committee. When the time comes, at least now I'll know more or less where to head with my question.

Team Perks- In my recent perusing of your site, I didn't see the "climbing gear" attribute. That's a great tip and a huge step closer to what I'm looking for.

Leprechauns- thanks for the Markwelling. I did a little searching myself, but apparently didn't search close enough! Maybe it's time to start up some of those threads again ???

Mule Ears, I think what you suggest seems to be the best idea right now. The word "Treeocache" needs to be in the title of that cache. Then we silly tree climbers can come here, search that term, and see what's nearby.

I'm going to list my first cache very, very soon!

love

nick

ps- thanks for the productive conversation.

I think your best bet would be to start a public bookmark list. There may already be one on some of the existing tree climbing caches.

What's a public bookmark list?

Bookmark lists collect a group of caches that relate to each other in some way, like "my favorite caches" or "really hard puzzles in Northern California" or "Caches along Interstate 80." For an example, see this list of Pennsylvania Hydrocaches. Someone interested in caching with their canoe or kayak would find this list useful, and a link to the list shows up on each cache page that is on the list. A similar list could be put together for Treeocaches.

Bookmark lists are a premium member feature, meaning only premium members can create them. Regular members can still view the lists, however.

I've got one about 15 ft up a half-dead tree. Added a dangerous area and difficult climbing attribute and a terrain rating of 4. It can be climbed without any special equipment, but it is difficult.

so far, it's been probably my most-well recieved cache by the few who have found it.

I've got one about 15 ft up a half-dead tree. Added a dangerous area and difficult climbing attribute and a terrain rating of 4. It can be climbed without any special equipment, but it is difficult.

so far, it's been probably my most-well recieved cache by the few who have found it.

I put one about the same height up a healthy mulberry tree with sturdy, close-spaced limbs. After some static from one non-climbing cacher, I raised the terrain rating from 3 to 4. It's gotten rave reviews and lots of visitors. I've upgraded the mounting method from paracord to 2-inch-wide Velcro strap. Cachers who were reluctant to climb all the way to the cache were apparently untying it to get at the contents, then retying it poorly (having to work so far overhead). The Velcro lets 'em zip the cache loose, make their log entries and trades, then return it securely.

I saw one that was a 3.5, but it was an easy climb, I raised mine to 4 because there are no branches the first 3.5-4 ft of the tree. You have to find one other puzzle cache then solve a second puzzle for my one in the tree so it hasn't had a ton of visitors. It's a requirement that you sign the physical logbook though to log a find, I know some cachers are clever so I said I don't care how it's retrieved. All it is is a decon container hanging from a branch. I actually haven't been out to check it in a while to see if people are replacing it correctly. Cachers do have a real problem with putting caches back where they belong. I stopped to take photos of a unique container for a micro I had, it had only been found 5 or 6 times in the week or so its been active and already it was over 10 feet from where I originally placed it.

Anyway, I meant mine to be difficult, but not a terrain 5....not yet anyway, I plan to set up a 5/5 this winter, while the one I mention above is my most difficult cache, when I hid it, it was just a warm-up for what's to come.

The trees we deal with tend to not have branches for the first 25'-50'. We don't use spikes or anything at all like that to climb the tree. I doubt the average person would be able to safely (without damaging their own self or the tree) get to the cache, assuming they found it.

From what I'm gathering, these would all be classified as a 5 rating.

Do you agree?

love

nick

We had a group assault on a 5 star cache that required climbing equipment to get to the cache:

Steeplechase

It was a blast watching Vegas CacheHounds ascending to nab the cache. He made it look easy. I'm not so good with the climbing part; most of my rope work has been rappelling down during search and rescue training sessions. I definitely need backup when this kind of cache is involved.

Evil Evil Evil. as a person that can not climb trees thats just evil. you have fun with it though. if i could i would do it too. and yes i agree you should put a 5 rating and say something like "act like a monkey and you will find it"

B1rdbrain- that's kinda where I'm going with this. These would be caches designed NOT for all geocachers, but specifically for the arboreal inclined...those that already have the gear and experience to get themselves up and down a tree.

love

nick

I have one about 10 feet up a tree. I tell the prospective searchers that this would be easiest if found in pairs since one of them could get up on the others shoulders. At the same time, since I climbed the tree to hide it and will turn 59 next month I only rated it a 3.5. Did leave a little blood behind for my effort though.