60CSx Battery ?

TxRedNeck

I've tested both cables with my 76CSx while it had rechargeable batteries inside, and it's like 8mmag said - nope, no recharging. Would've been convenient for business trips if I could've hooked it to the laptop for overnight charging - one less thing to carry along. Oh well, my travel charger doesn't take up that much space. :D

I've tested both cables with my 76CSx while it had rechargeable batteries inside, and it's like 8mmag said - nope, no recharging. Would've been convenient for business trips if I could've hooked it to the laptop for overnight charging - one less thing to carry along. Oh well, my travel charger doesn't take up that much space. :D

OK, here's a follow on question:

I have read here in the forums that the USB cable doesn't even power the 60CSx/76CSx, that when it's plugged into the USB it's still running on batteries. This was in relation to using the USB power adapter in the car, and it was said that these units will only draw external power from the serial/power connector.

This doesn't seem right to me, since the backlight is on constantly when it's plugged into the USB, and the battery indicator shows that it's plugged in.

Anyone know the truth of the matter?

OK, here's a follow on question:

I have read here in the forums that the USB cable doesn't even power the 60CSx/76CSx, that when it's plugged into the USB it's still running on batteries. This was in relation to using the USB power adapter in the car, and it was said that these units will only draw external power from the serial/power connector.

This doesn't seem right to me, since the backlight is on constantly when it's plugged into the USB, and the battery indicator shows that it's plugged in.

Anyone know the truth of the matter?

Possibly you're thinking of the 12 Volt Usb Converter thread from a few weeks back? The confusion there was whether a 60C could be powered by a USB cigarette lighter adapter. (Answer: it can't.)

Summary of power options that I'm aware of:

• All "x" models will draw power from a USB cable. I know my 76CSx will run just fine with no batteries inside if I've got it plugged into a computer via the USB cable, so it's certainly not relying on battery power in that case. :D
  • 60C(S) and 76C(S) will not draw power from a USB cable. Been there, tried it, nada/zilch/zippo.
  • Legend C and Vista C will draw power from a USB cable. (See robertlipe's reply in the 12v USB converter thread above, or read through the owner's manuals - it's a documented feature for those models.)

(Edddittted fer speelinggg :))

Edited by Munin

• All "x" models will draw power from a USB cable. I know my 76CSx will run just fine with no batteries inside if I've got it plugged into a computer via the USB cable, so it's certainly not relying on battery power in that case. :D
  • 60C(S) and 76C(S) will not draw power from a USB cable. Been there, tried it, nada/zilch/zippo.
  • Legend C and Vista C will draw power from a USB cable. (See robertlipe's reply in the 12v USB converter thread above, or read through the owner's manuals - it's a documented feature for those models.)

True, true and true, but as stated above, NONE of these units will recharge the batteries inside them through the USB or serial connection.

Summary of power options that I'm aware of:

(Edddittted fer speelinggg :))

Well, after going back and reading that three times it makes sense to me. (Hint: always read three times before replying in the forums). My question was why would the USB provide power to my 60CSx on my computer but not in my car. Your answer: it will, it's the 60CS and 60C that won't. Thanks.

But it is a really good idea!
No, it's a really BAD idea - unless you go away from AA batteries completely.

To safely recharge batteries inside the unit, you need a design that excludes the possibility of trying to "recharge" non-rechargeables (e.g, alkaline) - in addition to knowing what rechargeable type battery was in place (NiMH, LiON, etc).

Magellan did this with the explorist line - they basically used a cell-phone battery. The result? A large group of quiet and happy users who recharge their GPS batteries simply by connecting it to their computer or AC outlet - and a smaller but much more vocal group of users who complain that they can't use AAs.

Edited by lee_rimar

They could get clever and build in such a way that a lion battery that they can certify and reliably recharge could be inserted into the space that contains the 2AA's With a seperate set of contacts. That way if the lion battery is in place the GPS can be recharable as most folks like. But if the Lion battery dies you can pull it out and run the unit off Alkalines or NiMh batteries that are commonly available.