Compass Rose

Cheesy pigs

I am new to geocoins, and have fallen instantly in love. The only problem is getting coins. I have seen a compass rose geocoin, and would love to acquire one, but they seem to have sold out everywhere I have gone. I have no coins to trade, so I would have to pay for it. Does anyone have a compass rose I could buy?

G'day,

We too have just got in to coins, and also had no coins to trade. I managed to buy some local coins (2006 New Zealand Kiwi's) and managed a few trades, just arrived today a 2006 Compass Rose! Thanks to NFA :laughing: Everyone is very helpful when you start out, I found this was a good place to start looking if you can find a few coins to trade, www.geocoincollection.com.(I'm still not too good on the old computer stuff so you will have to type it in manually, until someone else adds a link for you). We will probably just buy coins we like now as I can see it becoming an expensive hobby and I'm sure my bank manager doesn't like me that much :rolleyes: Good Luck

What you could try is go to one or two of the geocoin trading sites. They have search functions that shows collectors that may have the coin you are looking for. Contact them and see if there is a coin out now or coming out soon that you could buy and then use it as a trade.

All the extra coins I have... are on my available for trade list. I won't sell them, but I'll be happy to trade one of them. Unfortunately I don't have the specific coin you are looking for available for trade.

That being said, there is also a pinned topic for geocoin trades. Your request may get more visibility there for people that may have the coin you're looking for.

If you follow the link in my sig below you will see the geocoin reference page and geocoin FAQ. both of these have invaluable links and information for people just starting out. These links are also up in the pinned topic section of the geocoin forum... if you need to go back to them.

I am new to geocoins, and have fallen instantly in love. The only problem is getting coins. I have seen a compass rose geocoin, and would love to acquire one, but they seem to have sold out everywhere I have gone. I have no coins to trade, so I would have to pay for it. Does anyone have a compass rose I could buy?

I know what you mean. My wife is generally patiently tolerant of this weird geocaching hobby of mine, but she seriously swooned when I showed her a Compass Rose coin. They're moving on eBay in the vicinity of US$20 + S/H, so I guess I'll have to wait for some generous cacher to leave one somewhere close as a FTF prize. [:D]

dave

I know what you mean. My wife is generally patiently tolerant of this weird geocaching hobby of mine, but she seriously swooned when I showed her a Compass Rose coin. They're moving on eBay in the vicinity of US$20 + S/H, so I guess I'll have to wait for some generous cacher to leave one somewhere close as a FTF prize. [:D]

dave

why don't you make her a present of the new gold compass rose when it comes out? You need to beat the scalpers to it though, register at coinsandpins.com for newsletter.

There will soon be Gold Compass Rose 2006 Geocoins available at coinsandpins.com. Sign up on their mailing list, and you'll get a notice when sales begin!

HTH!

Yime

ETA: I might add, this is straight from the source. No eBay needed!

And the Gold finish looks beautiful!

There will soon be Gold Compass Rose 2006 Geocoins available at coinsandpins.com. Sign up on their mailing list, and you'll get a notice when sales begin!

HTH!

Yime

ETA: I might add, this is straight from the source. No eBay needed!

And the Gold finish looks beautiful!

Yep, I can attest to that as I have one sitting on the desk in front of me. :D

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have joined up to coinsandpins, as getting them straight from the source sounds like a good idea.

I bought 10 Australian coins and have swapped 9 of them, but now have nothing left to swap. Swapping is so much nicer than buying!

I am also drooling at the thought of the new gold compass rose, but scared witless as to the cost!

I bought 10 Australian coins and have swapped 9 of them, but now have nothing left to swap. Swapping is so much nicer than buying!

True, but buying a few is where you get the extras to trade with! :ph34r: We've done almost no trading, mainly because we buy geocoins to put them into caches, but we're starting to think ahead a little, so that we will hold one of certain coins as "trade bait" ;)

What I have done is buy a coin that I might not really want and then keep it for a future trade, from what I here the rose coins are hard to get ahold of. Check out geocoincollection.com or cointracking.com on those sites you can search by coin and email the seller and offer to buy, cachers are mostly nice people and amost always willing to help out a noob.

My problem (yet again) is being new to geocoin collecting, so I dont know which coins are the ones which would be 'wanted' by other cachers. Obviously the Aussie 2006 coins were popular, as is the Compass Rose from the sounds of it, but what else? Personal coins like Moun10bike's seem like collectors items, but they seem as rare as hens teeth.

I have also seen another beautiful coin that I would love to get my hands on - the Double Dragon (two-tone). That one also seems to have sold out, and no one is selling :-(

My problem (yet again) is being new to geocoin collecting, so I dont know which coins are the ones which would be 'wanted' by other cachers...

There's no way to know. What appeals to me might leave you cold, and V V. We're talking "taste" here, and there is no way to predict it. Why does one artist get $100,000 commissions, while another whose work I like far better gets nothing? Life's a bit of a gamble, so buy the ones that *you* like, and you won't go wrong. There will be others who agree with you. And as others have said, buy one or two that you don't like; there'll be some who'll disagree with you enough to trade you for it! :o:D

YIKES! I bought some to put in caches when interest dies down. At those prices, I may have to store them in a safe-deposit box!

I placed one in a cache and it traveled for 3 weeks and hit 3 caches before someone stole it. 2006 Compass Rose is the only coin I've had gone missing (knock on wood!)

Compass rose is simply THE most gorgeous geocoin ever made. The quality of the coin would have something to do with ebay price - a lot of the US personals are a really disappointing in that dept. but its just pot luck really on those auctions - someone wants the coin and doesn't mind dropping the price of a nice sweater on it.

geez I've seen costume jewellery sell for twice that with half the metal and workmanship :ph34r: