The Welcome Wagon

Airmapper

Sometimes I contact new cachers and send a little E-mail saying something to the effect of "Hello, welcome, if you have any questions feel free to ask someone..." Which in my area happens only rarely.

Now I was thinking on this and wondered, does this freak out the beginners? I know I don't think twice about getting mail from cachers I've never met, but for someone who is just signing up this might disturb them.

So what do you think, send the newcomers a welcome E-mail, or just leave them be until they show they want to be social with the other cachers.

Sometimes I contact new cachers and send a little E-mail saying something to the effect of "Hello, welcome, if you have any questions feel free to ask someone..." Which in my area happens only rarely.

Now I was thinking on this and wondered, does this freak out the beginners? I know I don't think twice about getting mail from cachers I've never met, but for someone who is just signing up this might disturb them.

So what do you think, send the newcomers a welcome E-mail, or just leave them be until they show they want to be social with the other cachers.

I do it all the time!

When I see a new cacher has started caching im my area, I send a note welcoming them to the hobbie, and send a link to our local caching group's Yahoo! discussion group. I offer to help answer questions, and just give them a big "hello"!

Ed

Never got an email myself. Kind of a shame as I would have appreciated a caching buddy.

However! I sent an email to a new cacher when he could not find a cache that if he would like help I would assist. Turned out to be a guy from the church I attend and now I have that new caching buddy!

Sometimes its a small world and you just never know.....

It's a smaller world down under, but yes i usually send an email to any new cacher in my area, especially when they have just found a cache of mine and its one of their early finds. I also e-mail old timers who do a caching run through my home area for the first time, just to get some feedback on my caches from those with a lot of experience. Most people respond well and seem to appreciate the cameraderie of caching.

My wife and I just started geocaching last weekend, and I can definitely say that, at least in our case, I think we would welcome an email from our fellow local hobbyists.

Since we've been married and had a baby, many of our friends just don't seem to want to spend time with us like they used to, and we were remarking the other day that it would be cool to bump into other geocachers, and maybe start making some new friends.

So, my advice to you is to go ahead and email away. The worst that happens is that nobody responds. But you just might develop some new friends along the way.

Mike & Kate

I've sent out welcome e-mails many times when a newcomer has logged one of my caches. My e-mails are usually ignored, but once in a while I receive a positive response.

That's pretty much the custom among geocachers here in Houston and after getting no response a number of times when I tried it, I gave it up, unless a noob posts to one of my hosted events.

I want noobs to feel welcome at events and sometimes a quick note from someone attending can make the difference between a noob showing up and just giving it a pass. That's how it worked for me. I seriously believed that a bunch of folks who met on the internet just had to have a major weirdo factor. (To modify a quote from the movie "Rounders," if ya can't spot the weirdo at a geocaching event in about 30 minutes, it's YOU.) I might NOT have gone to the very first Texas Challenge if not for the encouragement of the local GeoFamily.

I had a recent post on my upcoming event from a noob claiming to be shy, but willing to participate and I sent them this a few minutes ago:

Hi,

Welcome to the S.E.Tx. Geocaching Family.

You will enjoy the event. Geocachers are a unique bunch and verrry friendly.

Don't worry about being shy. You'll feel like an outsider for about 2 seconds.

See ya there,

Mark aka Snoogans aka ODS: PRIME!

I do wonder why most of my welcome notes to not receive responses. Perhaps it needs some work. Here is my standard welcome note. Let me know if I could tweak it a bit:

Dear Clueless Newbie.

I call you clueless not to be mean, but simply as a statement of fact. You really know squat about this sport.

Be advised that I'm the Big Kahuna in this area. Your log didn't show the proper deference to me, so I am deleting it. You might think you're smart and full of great ideas for caches, but this is MY territory. Keep your pathetic little caches out of it. As long as you have your place at the bottom of the geocaching hierarchy in this area straight, we will get along just fine.

Welcome to my sport. Don't bother responding to this e-mail unless you are a hot chick (in which case make sure you attach a photo of yourself wearing a bikini. Preferably yellow).

Regards,

Brian

I do wonder why most of my welcome notes to not receive responses. Perhaps it needs some work. Here is my standard welcome note. Let me know if I could tweak it a bit:

Dear Clueless Newbie.

I call you clueless not to be mean, but simply as a statement of fact. You really know squat about this sport.

Be advised that I'm the Big Kahuna in this area. Your log didn't show the proper deference to me, so I am deleting it. You might think you're smart and full of great ideas for caches, but this is MY territory. Keep your pathetic little caches out of it. As long as you have your place at the bottom of the geocaching hierarchy in this area straight, we will get along just fine.

Welcome to my sport. Don't bother responding to this e-mail unless you are a hot chick (in which case make sure you attach a photo of yourself wearing a bikini. Preferably yellow).

Regards,

Brian

:D

Dear Clueless Newbie.

Regards,

Brian

Pushpin, is that you? :D

I was going to reply, but I'm still looking for a yellow bikini. :)

In all seriousness though, I think it's great that you guys would reach out to newbies. I was a newbie not too long ago and I tell ya, that first time I stepped into a restaurant for a caching meet, I was intimidated. Of course you know nobody, so no familiar faces, and you feel stupid going up to groups and saying "hi, are you the geocachers?" -- luckily the fact that everyone was holding GPS units gave that away pretty quickly :D I met a nice woman named Geo-Granny who lived up to her name, giving me a warm welcome and introducing me to the regulars. Someone even bought me a drink! I felt much better after that first time.

Personally, I wouldn't send emails like that to a new cacher just out of the blue. If they logged my cache, then yes, that establishes a connection which I could follow up from. Keep in mind too that some cachers are kids and they (or their parents) might not appreciate the welcome emails just yet! Also, I'm not one of the more prolific cachers in our area, but if I was, maybe I'd pay more attention to being welcoming, since they'll be coming across my name that much more.

We also have local forums and one cacher is starting a monthly "meet and greet" event, and both of these avenues are seen as good ways to welcome the local newbies.

I always welcome them to the area or to the sport, whichever is appropriate, via email. I also invite them to them next event. When I started cache back in Alaska one of the locals welcomed me. Although I would have stayed with the sport regardless, it made me feel more welcome an part of the cache community.

We did this when our website was functional (it's down at the moment) where anyone who signed up for a free account with the Alabama Geocachers Association got an email welcoming them, providing email and telephone contact info for our Public Information Contact and phone-a-friend (me), and inviting them to become involved in our geocaching community.

I did, for a while, try to send simular emails to new cachers I saw in logs, welcoming them to the game and pointing them to the AGA website, but that proved to be very time-consuming, albeit successful.

We built a close-knit state-wide community with 1000+ members that way, so I would suggest it as a great idea for anyone.

Ed

We started caching on September 5th of last year. We found 6 caches, and on September 9th one of the busier cachers in our area sent us an e-mail welcoming us, letting us know we could contact him for questions, and congratulating us for finding 2 of his caches. It actually just fueled our excitement for geocaching... We were excited anyway and talking about it continually to the constant blank faces of our friends and family, so to "meet" another person who shared the enthusiasm was really cool.

Just after I started posting to the board here, I got an email from a person who lived in my vicinity who was hosting an event for folks who didn't know what caching was. They invited me to come out and meet everyone.

It was a very cool offer, but unfortunately, I had to work. Still hoping to meet some of the other locals though!

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

As a Newbie, I would welcome an email.... Thanks! :ph34r::ph34r:

I'm another nOOb who would appreciate receiving a welcoming e-mail from a local cacher. From the outside, a lot of the local groups do seem like tight-knit cliques. A friendly note from one of the local members letting a new cacher know the doors are open would be really nice. As someone else stated, the worst that happens is your e-mail is ignored.

And this great idea is something for me to remember once I'm in a position to welcome newcomers. :ph34r:

Hi there..

Im new, and haven't gotten a 'formal' welcome, and no.. Im not asking for one! LOL BUT I WILL say that when I have logged finds, the owners have been WONDERFUL and have sent very friendly and helpful emails! I dont expect a "Hello, we are glad you came to our hobby' since Im sure there is too many people to welcome them all, but I certainly FEEL welcome, which is the important thing!

(We also letterbox - and do both - we find AND plant - just planted our first cache yesterday!)

I find it as fun to plant - if not more. Sounds odd, but I enjoy the interaction, and meeting the people.

So... Hi everyone. Im new. Having fun, and learning how to play. Nice to meet you all!

Paula

CinemaBoxers

I am a new Cacher me and my whole family just hit my 9th cache this morning and personally i wouldn't mind getting a welcome e-mail i have a 1000 questions and only 1 or 2 answers so far I think rolling out the red carpet to new cachers is a great idea i have been making a effert to get my friends involved too and give them any answers i have figured out or through hours on the net managed to puzzle out

But please roll out the welcome wagon this is a wonderful sport and while it's great to get out there alone in the woods know other cachers and meeting people with your same hobbies is a great way to make lasting friendships as well

:laughing:

I'll bet most of the noobs who don't reply were probably creeped out from receiving emails from some stranger, wondering if they made a big mistake by coming here, and wondering if the emailer knows how to find them with their GPS. Most probably aren't aware, or forgot that others have a way to contact them.

I remember reading posts by noobs who thought others could find them if they had a GPS. It's probably better to let the noob make the first contact. The "I'm watching you" notes in all of the caches in their caching area probably don't help either. :laughing:

New to caching, I would welcome an email from a local mentor, and the chance to meet a caching buddy. All my participation so far has been through web research, finding a yahoo group not too far away, and a group for truckers and RVrs who like to cache.

There is a breakfast coming up, sponsored by the yahoo group, but I will have to pass this time due to a prior commitmant. Darn it!

I'll bet most of the noobs who don't reply were probably creeped out from receiving emails from some stranger, wondering if they made a big mistake by coming here, and wondering if the emailer knows how to find them with their GPS. Most probably aren't aware, or forgot that others have a way to contact them.

I remember reading posts by noobs who thought others could find them if they had a GPS. It's probably better to let the noob make the first contact. The "I'm watching you" notes in all of the caches in their caching area probably don't help either. :laughing:

Exactly! That's why there's no hot chicks that geocache, is they're assaulted with emails as soon as they join. You guys are ruining it for the rest of us!

Sometimes around these parts we email them with coordinates of their "welcome basket" then when they show up to get it, we bum-rush them and give them the ol' central PA welcoming blanket party. That'll learn 'em to cache in these here parts. The hazing is a gesture of welcoming...at least that's what we tell them. Suckers.

If someone logs my cache as their first find, I always e-mail them a congratulations and welcome them to geocaching. I don't think I've ever gotten a response, but hopefully I'm not scary. My first event was a big one and as a shy person around strangers, I didn't interact too much, but met a few people. I've actually met more people by e-mailing about caches and then meeting in person (on the trail or elsewhere). I've also found enough caches now that other cachers recognize my name from the logs. So fun to meet cachers!

I have emailed new cachers in my area welcoming them and letting them know if they have any questions to feel free to email me. Some email back and some don't. I wish someone would have emailed me when I started geocaching. I had to figure out how everything worked on my own. If I notice a new cacher has logged in thier log that they picked up a travel bug but it is still showing at the cache I will email them to see if they understand how it works ect ect. I think that is where alot of travel bugs get placed in caches and not logged.

I remember reading posts by noobs who thought others could find them if they had a GPS. It's probably better to let the noob make the first contact. The "I'm watching you" notes in all of the caches in their caching area probably don't help either. :anibad:

i hate to say it but i would be more turned away by a post like this then a e-mail from a stranger I understand the point your making here but at the same time it comes off like you think any one with less then 500 finds is uninteligent or to new to count i have 9 finds as of today I am a Cacher maybe not as well worked as your self but remember you yourself was a noob once to with others that were better then you did they offer help kind words or assistents

please don't feel this is a attack on you or any others here simply the way i feel no flame no hate just thoughts

I remember reading posts by noobs who thought others could find them if they had a GPS. It's probably better to let the noob make the first contact. The "I'm watching you" notes in all of the caches in their caching area probably don't help either. :anibad:

i hate to say it but i would be more turned away by a post like this then a e-mail from a stranger I understand the point your making here but at the same time it comes off like you think any one with less then 500 finds is uninteligent or to new to count i have 9 finds as of today I am a Cacher maybe not as well worked as your self but remember you yourself was a noob once to with others that were better then you did they offer help kind words or assistents

please don't feel this is a attack on you or any others here simply the way i feel no flame no hate just thoughts

Wait...what? Confused if you're offended by the term "noob" or by the fact that he's read posts by people wondering if they can be found by their GPS.

Noob is a pretty common term that is used frequently on the inter.....Wait a second....9 finds? 4 posts? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!!!!!

I kid....seriously. No really, I do. Well, at least I think I'm funny.

Edited by ThePropers

No I am a noob i don't mind it but many people that may or may not be internet savey can take that as derogatory and yes i have 9 finds a wooping kicking 9 what i was saying and maybe not as clearly as i would of liked is that terms like noob and talking about people being afriad that there being tracked may undermind the feelings of comradship and sportmenship that sports should inspire and it may also make people feel less welcome

I remember reading posts by noobs who thought others could find them if they had a GPS. It's probably better to let the noob make the first contact. The "I'm watching you" notes in all of the caches in their caching area probably don't help either. :lol:

Huh? By noob, I mean new to the game. Yes, I was a noob once too, perhaps I still am in some ways. I never mentioned any number, 500 finds is something you are just making up out of thin air, I never mentioned or hinted at any number at all. I personally think the noob cutoff number is way lower than that, like maybe ten. :D

and yes 500 hundered was a arbitrary number.. any ways i hope you see my point that sometimes it can be misconstrued as to how things maybe taken and that new players to this wonderful sport may or then again may not be put off by terms like noob which has it's roots in gaming and elitist behaviorisms and while intended to mean new person to the game all may not see that

so to continue with the topic at hand of welcome wagon please if you see someone new to the game in your area put forth a welcoming hand worse case they don't take it best case you help some one or heck make a friend!!!