Help. Please.

The Skylark Four

I have some questions when searching Nova Scotia caches at geocaching.com. When logged in and then clicking the option of "search for nearest caches from your home coordinates", I now only receive caches up to 50 miles from my home cords. Is there a way to increase that. I know when I first signed up I all caches were displayed.

I would say that this is a change that Groundspeak has placed on the site to limit the search from any point to 50 miles/80 kilometers for members vs unlimited distances for premium members. It's the same out here in BC. This limit is on any search from any point. For example a search from any cache you pick will only return a list of caches in the 50 mile circle.

Just another way to make Premium Membership that much more desireble.

Am I correct to say that this is not the case with a Premium Membership?

Yes, but there are many othere benefits that go along with the pay method. You can get instant notification of new caches as soon as they're published.

You can dowload GPX files which when opened in a program like GSAK allow you do download information directly to GPSs and PDAs

You can do searches along routes.

You can actually use the geocaching.com maps.

I cached for 3 years as a member and 1 year as a premium member. I even had the chance to become a charter member.... dang I wish I had done that :laughing:

Anyways, I'm glad I popped for the Premium membership.

I have some questions when searching Nova Scotia caches at geocaching.com. When logged in and then clicking the option of "search for nearest caches from your home coordinates", I now only receive caches up to 50 miles from my home cords. Is there a way to increase that. I know when I first signed up I all caches were displayed.

I`m pretty sure there must have been a limit at that time too, maybe that limit was just a bit higher before... the list never include every cache in the world and their distance realtive to you :D

(If you search by province, though, that does include all the caches in the province, no matter how far.)

There appears to be no way of changing the radius of that default search around your home coordinates, but you can use a larger radius on a poquet query if you are a premium member. Of course, poquet queries have a limit of 500 hits (around here, that's less than 50 miles), which means you may have to run more than one to cover the area you want.

Without poquet queries, one good way to search a larger area may be this : run the "nearest to my home coordinates" search, go to the last page of the results, click on the cache that is furthest in each direction (N, NE, E, SE...), and on each of those cache pages, click on "see caches nearest to this cache". Of course, there will be some overlap, but if you are in a low cache density area (or an area where you have found almost every cache), it should work well enough.

Also, I don't know if the Google Earth features are for premium members only, but they are a very nice way to look for caches outside of densely populated areas.

I had recently noticed this limitation as well but I assumed it was just an overall change for everyone to reduce the load on their servers.

I think you're correct on that assumption. The search out to 100 miles in major urban areas would be returning thousands of caches.

There is a work around.. Book mark your Search for nearest caches then edit the URL to add at the end &dist=m where "m" is distance in miles.