September Geocoin and Pin Club Coin

oakcoins

I don't normally toot my own horn on some of the coins that I've designed that have shown up here in the forums. But I'll have to admit this is going to one of the best that I've had a part of being involved with.

Christian gave me the basic idea and let me run with it. I was really pleased with the way it turned out and am really excited to see the finished product!!

They say that every generation has it's "Do you remember where you were?" event in history.

This would be mine. :D

I was getting ready for work when the first plane hit.

I keep one of the news channels on in the morning while I'm getting ready. That morning it was CNN.

I can remember them breaking in and started giving the story when everyone just thought it was a horrible accident. After watching it a bit, I continued to get ready and stopped in front of the TV just before I went out the door to catch the latest details. When all of the sudden the second plane come flying in. This is when the realization that this was no accident kicked in on everyone. :rolleyes:

I literally sat in the floor in front of the TV, because I didn't want to turn away. For the next 30 minutes I didn't move. Then I finally broke myself away to go on to work late.

I couldn't get the radio on fast enough. By then every channel was starting to break in and carry the CNN broadcast. Driving through town you could tell the people around me that were tuned into the radio listening to what was happening, rather than listing to a tape or CD. We all just had that blank stare in our eyes. :ph34r: The few people that I did make eye contact with in traffic just looked at me with the same disbelief that I had.

Right as I pulled in the parking lot at work they announced The Pentagon had been hit as well.

I walked into the shop and asked "Can you believe what's happened?"

I knew immediately they had no idea the extent of the scope of things when one of them said, "Yeah, I bet they find out the pilot was drunk."

When I told them a second plane had hit the other tower and that they'd just announced another plane had just crashed into The Pentagon. They just stood there dumbfounded.

We tried to bring up something on the internet, but by then all the news sites were pretty much jammed and we couldn't find anything.

We ended up rigging a makeshift antenna on a broke jam box to be able to pick up any news. (We normally just listened to CDs for music)

We ended up shutting the shop down an hour early that afternoon because no one was in the mood to work but rather just hang out by the radio to see what else was gonna happen. The lack of customers coming in or calling on the phone was also proof enough that most everyone else wasn't interested in signs or t-shirts that day anyway. So we just all went home to our families.

I don't know about the others, but my family got extra hugs that night before I tucked them in to bed. I myself didn't even turn in until the wee hours of the morning because I was fixated to the TV.

NEVER FORGET!!

D-man :laughing:

I don't normally toot my own horn on some of the coins that I've designed that have shown up here in the forums. But I'll have to admit this is going to one of the best that I've had a part of being involved with.

Christian gave me the basic idea and let me run with it. I was really pleased with the way it turned out and am really excited to see the finished product!!

They say that every generation has it's "Do you remember where you were?" event in history.

This would be mine. :laughing:

I was getting ready for work when the first plane hit.

I keep one of the news channels on in the morning while I'm getting ready. That morning it was CNN.

I can remember them breaking in and started giving the story when everyone just thought it was a horrible accident. After watching it a bit, I continued to get ready and stopped in front of the TV just before I went out the door to catch the latest details. When all of the sudden the second plane come flying in. This is when the realization that this was no accident kicked in on everyone. :D

I literally sat in the floor in front of the TV, because I didn't want to turn away. For the next 30 minutes I didn't move. Then I finally broke myself away to go on to work late.

I couldn't get the radio on fast enough. By then every channel was starting to break in and carry the CNN broadcast. Driving through town you could tell the people around me that were tuned into the radio listening to what was happening, rather than listing to a tape or CD. We all just had that blank stare in our eyes. :D The few people that I did make eye contact with in traffic just looked at me with the same disbelief that I had.

Right as I pulled in the parking lot at work they announced The Pentagon had been hit as well.

I walked into the shop and asked "Can you believe what's happened?"

I knew immediately they had no idea the extent of the scope of things when one of them said, "Yeah, I bet they find out the pilot was drunk."

When I told them a second plane had hit the other tower and that they'd just announced another plane had just crashed into The Pentagon. They just stood there dumbfounded.

We tried to bring up something on the internet, but by then all the news sites were pretty much jammed and we couldn't find anything.

We ended up rigging a makeshift antenna on a broke jam box to be able to pick up any news. (We normally just listened to CDs for music)

We ended up shutting the shop down an hour early that afternoon because no one was in the mood to work but rather just hang out by the radio to see what else was gonna happen. The lack of customers coming in or calling on the phone was also proof enough that most everyone else wasn't interested in signs or t-shirts that day anyway. So we just all went home to our families.

I don't know about the others, but my family got extra hugs that night before I tucked them in to bed. I myself didn't even turn in until the wee hours of the morning because I was fixated to the TV.

NEVER FORGET!!

D-man :ph34r:

WOW!!! I have to admit got a little teary eyed reading this :rolleyes: . It brings back memories as if they occured just yesterday. I to remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. To this day I get extremely choked up when I hear Lee Greenwoods "God Bless The USA", that was one song that never got old after September 11th, 2001. In addition the National Anthem never meant more to me than after this horrific tragedy. I have to say that I am more patriotic now than I have ever been.

All right on a side note, I am not a member of this coin club, in fact I have cut way back on purchasing of coins and have resorted to trading. With that being said would someone please pick me a coin up and I will gladly pay you or will someone please trade me an extra?

We too had CNN on that morning, when the news of the first plane broke. I will never forget the sheer disbelief I felt as I watched this aweful event unfold. Mike (Ryder3) had to be at work, so we watched, hand in hand, until he had to leave. I remained GLUED to CNN for the rest of the day (and most of that night) because it was like a bad dream.

Yes, this is one day we will NEVER forget!

This is a BEAUTIFUL coin, done in remembrance of an event that brought SO MANY Americans together, to show the pride and solidarity that our great country is made of, and so many people seemed to have been taking for granted up to that day.

We THANK YOU for this remembrance!

We have finalized the artwork for the September coin.

sept.jpg

This coin will have its on unique icon.

For more information on the club, where all coins are trackable, please go to:

http://www.geocoinpinclub.com/

For further clarification:

The Twin Towers and the Statue of Liberty are going to be 3-D.

The "pin" that is part of the package will be a minature version of the front of the coin (heart side)

edited to add:

And this will be the Icon

WTC_9-11_Icon32x32.jpg

Edited by gridlox

All right on a side note, I am not a member of this coin club, in fact I have cut way back on purchasing of coins and have resorted to trading. With that being said would someone please pick me a coin up and I will gladly pay you or will someone please trade me an extra?

Never mind :laughing:

Can someone please confirm something for me? According to the club agreement if I join the club prior to the 28th of August I can get the September coin, is this correct?

Your correct.

Well you can guess what I will be doing prior to the 28th of August :rolleyes: .

Well you can guess what I will be doing prior to the 28th of August :D .

The nice thing about this club, is you can come and go as you please. The only advantage to staying in is that you lock in at a certain price. So regardless of mint price increases (and there have been 2 since the club began), you still pay the pricing when you joined.

sept.jpg

This artwork shows three "L"s in "FALLEN". Will this be corrected prior to the minting?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that there is also an "E" missing from "HEROES".

Edited by Moun10Bike

Wow! I was just wondering if there was going to be a September 11 coin especially as the 5th year anniversary is coming up. Hard to imagine. Harder to forget that day. I was there. I survived it. Thanks for making this coin. I am joining the club to get one. We must never forget all who died, all who sacrificed - and those that continue to sacrifice for the freedom we hold so dear.

This artwork shows three "L"s in "FALLEN". Will this be corrected prior to the minting?

Too bad English teachers don't get paid like techies, eh? I don't know how you see this stuff. Cause until it's pointed out, my eyes gloss right over it.

Too bad English teachers don't get paid like techies, eh? I don't know how you see this stuff. Cause until it's pointed out, my eyes gloss right over it.

It's actually part of what my real-life job is, so I guess I'm trained to see these things!

We too had CNN on that morning, when the news of the first plane broke. I will never forget the sheer disbelief I felt as I watched this aweful event unfold. Mike (Ryder3) had to be at work, so we watched, hand in hand, until he had to leave. I remained GLUED to CNN for the rest of the day (and most of that night) because it was like a bad dream.

Yes, this is one day we will NEVER forget!

This is a BEAUTIFUL coin, done in remembrance of an event that brought SO MANY Americans together, to show the pride and solidarity that our great country is made of, and so many people seemed to have been taking for granted up to that day.

We THANK YOU for this remembrance!

Betterhalf was a little shook up,and forgot a couple of things.

She saw the first attack,woke me up in time to see the bas....er terrorists second hit,Then the 3rd,then the fourth attempt that was thawarted by some true heros!(May we all have that kind of courage when needed)

May we stand vigilant & ready!

We will take 'em ALL!!(Just kidding)

Mike Suzie

It's actually part of what my real-life job is, so I guess I'm trained to see these things!

Thank you Moun10Bike for finding this. It will be fixed on the dies and for production.

Betterhalf was a little shook up,and forgot a couple of things.

She saw the first attack,woke me up in time to see the bas....er terrorists second hit,Then the 3rd,then the fourth attempt that was thawarted by some true heros!(May we all have that kind of courage when needed)

May we stand vigilant & ready!

We will take 'em ALL!!(Just kidding)

Mike Suzie

I was on patrol in Thomas Park here in Salina, they broke in on the radio and announced that a horrible accident had occurred, a jumbo-liner had flown into one of the World Trade Center Towers. I wondered at the time how that could be possible, then the second plane struck and the world knew it was no accident.

I am not sure how anybody could forgive the terrorists for what they had done. The World wept as the news coverage just kept exposing more and more of the horrors. Every fire fighter and police officer in the land had a little heavier burden to carry. The Circle of Public Safety became little smaller with their losses and even more devoted to their life's journey.

No monument or park will ever give the families or nation back what they lost that day. May they all rest in peace.

Glen

sept.jpg

OMG!!! :P:ph34r:

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

And to think, I make signs everyday for a living!! :blink:

Guess I forgot to use my spell check before sending in the artwork, ya think? ;)

Jeeze! It's been one of those weeks.

D-man ;)

Boy, don't God have a way of humbling the prideful! :P

DANG IT ( It had to be family friendly, or I would have used other words :) )!!! Well after all that excitement and me saying I was going to subscribe, I totally spaced it off :unsure: !!

Now I have to resort back to plan "B", that would be to beg and plead for some one to sell or trade me one :blink: !! Of course if they where to let me still sign up even though it is after the 28th , I would do that to. Can someone please help me out :wub: ?

DANG IT ( It had to be family friendly, or I would have used other words :) )!!! Well after all that excitement and me saying I was going to subscribe, I totally spaced it off :unsure: !!

Now I have to resort back to plan "B", that would be to beg and plead for some one to sell or trade me one :blink: !! Of course if they where to let me still sign up even though it is after the 28th , I would do that to. Can someone please help me out :wub: ?

You're not the only one. I'm hoping to find someone that ordered extras that's interested in a trade.

AWESOME!!! September 11, 2001 is a day that I shall never forget. I still get choked up thinking of that day and those lost. I have worn a FDNY t-shirt every year on 9/11 since. I will wear one again this year. My past employer never said a word and I shall not worry if my new one will. Thanks for the awesome coin.

Wearing a FDNY shirt on the 11th is a great idea. I am a network administrator in a public school so t-shirts are a bit underdressed for me. but it is gonna be a FDNY T-shirt on monday the 11th.

I am also a paid on call firefighter so I am trying to think of something else I can do. I know we have been putting a empty set of gear under our flag pole at the fire station. Wonder if my school would let me put a set of gear under the school flag pole.

Anyone else have any ideas how to remember/honor 9-11?

Fly American flags: at work, at home - everywhere....

And on 9/11/06, I'll be wearing the "working blue" shirt I was given by a FDNY firefighter when I was working for the Red Cross at the disaster: patch on the shoulder and burn marks in it from ashy, flying debris.

I am a nurse and will be at work, but I will be remembering all the medical staff that had to deal with the aftermath of the horror. Some of them have never recovered from the things they saw. :tired:

On a lighter note, does anybody know if these coins will be coming with a pin? It doesn't seem to indicate it on the site.

The nice thing about the coin and pin club is that each subscription comes with a pin and the last two months the coins have had their own gc icon.

Yes it is nice to be able to drop your subscription if there is a coin that you are not interested in but usually the coins are very nice.

Somehow my order for August got mixed up and I am short a coin.'Hoping to get this rectified soon.

AWESOME!!! September 11, 2001 is a day that I shall never forget. I still get choked up thinking of that day and those lost. I have worn a FDNY t-shirt every year on 9/11 since. I will wear one again this year. My past employer never said a word and I shall not worry if my new one will. Thanks for the awesome coin.

Wearing a FDNY shirt on the 11th is a great idea. I am a network administrator in a public school so t-shirts are a bit underdressed for me. but it is gonna be a FDNY T-shirt on monday the 11th.

I am also a paid on call firefighter so I am trying to think of something else I can do. I know we have been putting a empty set of gear under our flag pole at the fire station. Wonder if my school would let me put a set of gear under the school flag pole.

I like the idea of the boots/gear under the flag pole. Wasn't it customary at one time to burn a candle (or "fake" candle in your window in times like this? Most people wouldn't pay attention to this thought. I work at a hospital, but have now taken 9/11 off. I will plan to spend my day attending a memorial service if I can find a local one. Our area is having a big remembrance on Sun 9/10.

Does anyone know when they will be shipping this coin? just curious. would be cool if it came before monday

<_<

That was the goal. They were delayed by a day in customs but all US orders have been sent. The International orders are currently being worked on since they take longer than 3 days to arrive.

Got my coin and pin set today. That is one sweet coin. Has nothing to do with geocaching. But when you consider all the people who work to protect us and secure our freedoms, I really appreciate the ability to geocache and do everything else IN PEACE, in a FREE COUNTRY. You know who you are, and if you read this forum, I want you to know you are never taken for granted, and we will NEVER FORGET. Just my two cents worth, but I extend my thanks to you.