Using my Palm for Paperless Caching?

Tony P

I have a Palm Zire 72 & want to learn to use it instead of printing everything out. What software do I need & how do I do it? I have copied things to Microsoft Word & then used “Documents to Go” but that takes to much time. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Tony

I have a Palm Zire 72 & want to learn to use it instead of printing everything out. What software do I need & how do I do it? I have copied things to Microsoft Word & then used “Documents to Go” but that takes to much time. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Tony

I've heard of two different approaches to using a Palm for paperless caching. Each of the two methods has its fans, so you might want to take a look at both methods.

1. The CacheMate Approach

2. The GPX Spinner and Plucker Approach

The links above lead to articles that describe the two methods in detail. I bought a Palm TX about a month ago and experimented with both of these methods. I wound up adopting the CacheMate approach, but both methods are popular.

HTH!

--Larry

I just started paperless caching 2-3 months ago using a PalmIIIce I got on EBay for $12. I use CacheMate and know nothing about the other programs mentioned here. As for providing you the text cache information CacheMate does a good job. But, I find the lack of maps a major drawback to paperless caching. I only rely entirely on the Palm when I find myself somewhere with unexpected time to kill, otherwise I print the MapQuest maps linked from the cache page.

I know cachers with Pocket PCs who have map databases and that probably works, but I'm unwilling to spend that much for paperless caching. Paper and printing aren't that expensive.

Edited by Thot

Thank you,

Tony

I, too, have tried both methods that Larryc43230 wrote about. Actually, I am still trying both methods. Here are some observations that are strictly IMHO. Others may have workarounds to some of the cons I list. As I said, I'm still experimenting with both methods. I will most likely go with GSAK/Cachemate but leave Plucker on the PDA. Although, GPXSpinner/Plucker is certainly workable.

GPX Spinner/Plucker approach:

Plucker is free, GPXSpinner is shareware $13.30

Already use Plucker for other things - such as d/l letterbox info from letterboxing.org site

Easy to read "web style" format

Lots of nice index sorting and search options

Simple....very intuitive

"Read only" - I don't see that you can add notations to Plucker out in the field.

Unable to manipulate GPX file before loading to PDA - the whole GPX file gets loaded (though you might be able to do something with Watcher or EasyGPS and then resave as GPX before spinning and loading to PDA)

<"hints" comment removed 8/16/06>

GSAK/Cachemate approach

Can d/l GPX into GSAK, filter and then export only what you want to Cachemate on your PDA

Cachemate has ability to add notations to a personal log for each cache on your PDA, also you can check off "found" and automatically log date and time.

Cachemate can decode cache hints on your PDA by pressing a button

Cachemate can organize caches into categories such as "not found", "found" or user defined on your PDA

Cachemate can project a waypoint and save it, using only PDA

Apparently, Cachemate can also export your field notes and, with correct cable, send waypoints directly to your GPSr - though I have not tried either.

GSAK has advanced filtering capability and can keep track of your finds

Complex, requires some thought until you're used to it

GSAK = $20, Cachemate = $8

Some other things to look at:

EasyGPS http://www.easygps.com/

Watcher http://www.clayjar.com/gc/watcher/

Navigate http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/navigate/index.html

Calcul-8 http://www.nutcom.fsnet.co.uk/palm/

cliff_hanger

Edited by cliff_hanger

Clliff_Hanger,

When you generate HTML pages of your caches with GPX Spinner, doesn't it include an HTML file for the decoded hint? I could have sworn it did.

Anyway, I use a hybrid approach :D I use GPX Spinner to massage the GPX files so they can be properly downloaded to my GPS unit, and then I use Cachemate (and it's own converter tools) to download pocket queries into my PDA.

GSAK, while I'm sure is useful, is too much for what I want to do and this approach is cheaper (I only had to pay the $8 for CacheMate) and seems to be working out fine.

Clliff_Hanger,

When you generate HTML pages of your caches with GPX Spinner, doesn't it include an HTML file for the decoded hint? I could have sworn it did.

It's not on the Plucker file that I currently have loaded. I'll have to try it again. It's even possible that I generated those particular pages with something other than GPXSpinner......I've tried so many different things.

Anyway, I use a hybrid approach :D I use GPX Spinner to massage the GPX files so they can be properly downloaded to my GPS unit, and then I use Cachemate (and it's own converter tools) to download pocket queries into my PDA.

Nice idea. But, still, doesn't GPXSpinner use the whole GPX file? I usually d/l a fairly large pocket query but only load the parts I need for my current adventures. Sometimes, I split them into different Cachemate databases depending on what area I'm going to.

GSAK, while I'm sure is useful, is too much for what I want to do and this approach is cheaper (I only had to pay the $8 for CacheMate) and seems to be working out fine.

I thought so too, at first. But, as I use it, I'm more and more amazed by it's features. Maybe too many features for some but, very interesting for the geek in me. <shrug>

Anyway, if I get a chance, I'll redo my GPX, make sure I run it through GPXSpinner to test your theory and report back in this thread.

cliff_hanger

Clliff_Hanger,

Yes, it does. I redid a GPX file and made sure to send it through GPXSpinner and you are correct. I must have used some other "spinner" to generate that other Plucker file. Thanks for pointing it out. I've corrected my previous post.

cliff_hanger

My biggest gripe about going paperless is I can't hardly read the screen on my Tungsten E2 outdoors. I have to find deep shade or go back to the pickup to read it. A greyscale or one of the new high visibility screens would be nice.

:DWhat I Did...........on my Palm m500, was change the front display to a larger size / darker.......this took care of the problem for me............ :o

I just started paperless caching 2-3 months ago using a PalmIIIce I got on EBay for $12. I use CacheMate and know nothing about the other programs mentioned here. As for providing you the text cache information CacheMate does a good job. But, I find the lack of maps a major drawback to paperless caching.

I use the mapping features on my GPS when I am caching, paperless or not. Of course, I keep both City Select map and Topo maps loaded on my unit for the area I usually cache (KY, IN) so I'm not relying on just the base maps. I did use just the basemaps for a couple of years though, and only very rarely printed out any additional maps.

I've used Plucker/Spinner and now I am trying out Cachemate with a Palm IIIxe. There are things I prefer in both programs. My husband uses the Cachemate with his Zire

Yes. People use Palm III's successfully, and I've seen those go for $20.

A Windows program called GPX Spinner can convert your downloaded Pocket Query file into low-bandwidth HTML files. Any PDA capable of reading HTML files (probably first converting them into another format like Plucker or iSilo or MobiPocket or whatever) will be the minimum you would need.

....But, I find the lack of maps a major drawback to paperless caching. I only rely entirely on the Palm when I find myself somewhere with unexpected time to kill, otherwise I print the MapQuest maps linked from the cache page.

Well, my GPSr has a map screen ;-)

I still print out a topo map showing the icons/location of the caches I'm looking for (Mapsend Topo 3D). Especially, for areas I'm not familiar with I'd be a fool not to carry a map and compass.

But, for me, the big advantages to using the PDA is having the entire description, last 5 or 6 logs, and hints for over 400 caches in my pocket. Having the flexibility of changing my mind about what cache to do while out in the field without going back home to print out a description page. Having the ability (using Plucker) to load complete info on the PDA about trail descriptions and letterboxes that are close by the caches. YMMV.

cliff_hanger

I also want to start using my PDA for paperless geocaching. I noticed everyone on this thread talking about software to use with PDAs using the palm OS. Is there any specific software that seems to work well on Pocket PCs running Windows mobile 5.0? I have a Sprint PPC-6700 Phone/PDA and since I am carrying my phone with me while geocaching I might as well be using it!

Thanks for any input.

I have a Palm Zire 72 & want to learn to use it instead of printing everything out. What software do I need & how do I do it?

My program GeoNiche is a complete paperless solution. It is designed to communicate with your GPS receiver so there is no need to input cache coordinates in your GPS receiver. It is highly customizable and can point the way to your cache with a large arrow. To get the most from it, however, you will have to connect your Zire to your GPSr.

((RayDar))

Is there any specific software that seems to work well on Pocket PCs running Windows mobile 5.0? I have a Sprint PPC-6700 Phone/PDA ...

You might want to try GPXSonar. I used it briefly on my PPC-6700 (the Telus model however, since I am from Canada, eh!) running WM5, and it seemed to work fine. I switched to using an old Palm T3 with Cachemate, since I don't always want to carry my phone/PDA when out caching.

There is a PPC version of CacheMate also, but I have only used the Palm version (which is very good.)

Hope that helps.

Edited by swimmrguy

I use Cetus GPS, which can take GPX files that have been converted via GPSBabel. It has the major advantage that it's free, and it has the entire text of the page plus the hint (on a seperate section, so no spoilers!). It's a full GPS package that can communicate via serial cable or Bluetooth to a GPS receiver.

Mine is loaded with a database of the 500 closest caches to my home address, plus databases of caches near other places I regularly find myself. The databases were automatically generated as a Pocket Query on the Geocaching.com website.

-Gareth

I use a couple of Palms. I've got Cachemate on both (three if you count my wife's). My good T5 does it all, if you are inside. Easy to read, bright screen, nice stuff. Absolutely stinks in the sunlight. Everything is washed out and invisible. I also use an ancient M505 that lived in the glove box of the Jeep, lost for about a year. I charged it up, installed Cachemate and Viola! you can read it in the field. Dim inside the house, but visible anywhere. It has plenty of memory for the purpose, all it has is caching stuff and my address book. No appointments or anything like that, just things I need in the field. Koilady's T/C is also readable in the light, but she sure isn't letting that thing cross streams in my pocket. Cachemate allows up to five registered copies for the initial $8.00 charge. Coupled with GSAK you've got it all right there. I have about a thousand caches in my pocket, all of the info about them is right there. Gotta love those PQs too. What a deal for three bucks a month. I blow that on coffee and donuts every day.

In my earlier days with the Palms I played with Plucker, but never came to care for it much, most of my reading done through Mobipocket or Palm Reader, now E-reader. I also use Adobe for Palm, although it's a bit awkward to convert stuff. I never tried to use that for caching though.

Obviously then my preference is Cachemate & GSAK. Mobipocket will read those e-book files without any sort of conversion and it's free. A bit agressive with your file preferences and the Palm, but it works pretty good.

HG

For those of you using GeoNiche, what brands/kinds of GPSr's do you have? I'd like to get started with Paperless Caching, and I'm trying to get my options narrowed down. It seems like a little duplicate effort to load the Caches into the GPSr, as well as the Palm for "Standard" paperless caching. The GeoNiche solution appears to suggest that you load the information once (into the Palm). Correct?

-DakotaCache :unsure: