Category Proposal: Aviation Museums

Hello Id like to propose adding an Aviation Museums category.

I'm not sure if it should go into the Buildings or Art/History category?

What i'm looking for are museums who's primary focus is aviation history and have airplanes on display in static or flying condition and may or may not be actively working on restoring aircraft. They don't need to be on an airport to qualify but a large number of theses will be located near an airport. I've never been out of the country (USA) but I assume our friends on the other side of the pond have museums of these types? Id love to see them. There are many types I know about on a national level down to a local level.

Examples of museums I've personally visited that I am thinking about:

Smithsonian Air and Space -DC

Hill Areospace Museum - UT

Tillamook Air Museum - OR

Warhawk Air museum - ID

Requirements for logging.

Photo of airport exterior w/sign legible

Photo w/GPS included

Location address

GPS coordinates

Hours of operation

Cost

Description of museums focus: WW2, Vietnam, Golden Age of flight, Civilian, Military, etc.

Current restoration projects underway

Aircraft on display

Website

Next step is setting up a management group, right. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Edited by 5winters

Hello Id like to propose adding an Aviation Museums category.

I'm not sure if it should go into the Buildings or Art/History category?

The only problem is that any such museum could be included in existing categories -- either History Museums (the Smithsonian aviation museum and the Heritage in Flight Museum in Lincoln, IL are already waymarked there, for instance) or perhaps the Science Museum category, depending on the emphasis of the museum.

Otherwise, this is a worthy category.

The only problem is that any such museum could be included in existing categories -- either History Museums (the Smithsonian aviation museum and the Heritage in Flight Museum in Lincoln, IL are already waymarked there, for instance) or perhaps the Science Museum category, depending on the emphasis of the museum.

Otherwise, this is a worthy category.

After reviewing the directory further, I think this category belongs in the History/Culture directory.

I see that there are two existing categories Art Museums and History Museums. A history museum could includes some art but they usually target a wider amount of subjects. While an art museum has a primary focus on an art collection. How do these existing categories work together? Like an Art museum an aviation museum would have specific focus too.

How to resolve the existing waymarks for aviation museums I don't know? Is there some rule that there cant be two waymarks at the same location? Just some thoughts. Thanks for the input.

(Edited out some gibberish)

Edited by 5winters

"Aviation Museum" can stand on it's own just like "Science"/ Oddball /Motor Vehicle or any other specific type of Museum does now.

There should be no problem of it 'flying' on it's own :laughing: (pun intended)

...and -- 'Yes' there can also be multiple "Museum Waymarks".

After reviewing the directory further, I think this category belongs in the History/Culture directory.
Don't worry about the placement, it's out of your hands.