Google Search Results

i posted an odd shaped building WMM7T a few months back.

i was just now posting it to the NRHP category. i was googling to see if i could get the buisness hours (i was not able to find this info), but i did see that my waymark was returned in the search results--sort of, it provided a Waymarking search from some coords.

here is the link to my googling for 'round barn furniture store jefferson georgia': Google Search Results.

seems that the site is becoming more popular with such searching software, and making it more known to the 'general public'.

chapterhouse

I've come across this a few times. Tried it on a few waymarks I've submitted, and found that, at times, the waymark page is among the first few results :laughing: . Take, for example, the ghost town of Pariah, Utah or MSU's Moon Tree. It helps that, because of the way the Waymarking site is organized, data is (intentionally or not) "optimized" for search engines; that is, each location has it's own dedicated page, many waymarks have a nice writeup providing details or history about a site, and the titles of individual waymarks are usually accurate and descriptive. I would imagine that this has the potential to bring more people into the game as they stumble upon the Waymarking site while searching for info about a specific place.

yes, as it is returned in search results for 'muggles' (or should we come up with another name?) they will become aware of the hobby (if that is what it is) of Waymarking.....

it will also help to keep a record of things for future efforts and generations....

some of the places on the NRHP have no information on the web....but now they are getting waymark pages created for them....as people visit/log them this pool of information will grow exponentially....

i have often been criticized for not including enough info on the waymark pages--mostly due to not knowing the history or being able to find anything worth saying--but as more people become waymarkers they can provide more information and pics......as they post good facts and pics the description can be edited to reflect this.....

maybe wikipedia shoud form a partnership with Waymarking (some of their coords are not where 'they should be'; in refrence to towns...). for instance: they have the NRHP listed on their site, but nothing more.....just about every Waymarking category could be found on their site, why not link to it.....there is the wiki Waymarking category, and everything that the site says could be submitted, if not in a more specific category too.....

when will WM.com be a great source to do research? i bet it already contains enough info to write several (college level) essays.....

Well, I cannot speak for anyone else (although I try :laughing: ) but for me, when I create a Waymark listing I "Google" for more information. Cut-and-Paste interesting facts, at least to me, and provide a URL link to the site I learned it.

So, I am not adding anything that anyone couldn't google themself. Well, for the mostpart. I do include some minor stuff, but any historical stuff or actual research is all from other sites. I hope I have always provided links to where the data was found.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar