Olympic Peninsula Cache Trip

bccruiser

I am planning on a 4 day truck camping trip along the Olympic Peninsula (WA) and was hoping that some of you out there have some suggestions on caches that we must do while on the trip. Also if you know of any good places to park for the night please let me know. We don't need a campsite since we will be sleeping in the back of the truck.

We will be starting our trip in Port Townsend and then plan on traveling West on Hwy 101.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bccruiser

I am planning on a 4 day truck camping trip along the Olympic Peninsula (WA) and was hoping that some of you out there have some suggestions on caches that we must do while on the trip.

GCRN5X "In search of..."

GCP1Z3 "Surfers Secret"

GCP1Z5 "Fishermans Secret"

GCGTAA "Trollville"

I am planning on a 4 day truck camping trip along the Olympic Peninsula (WA) and was hoping that some of you out there have some suggestions on caches that we must do while on the trip.

GCRN5X "In search of..."

GCP1Z3 "Surfers Secret"

GCP1Z5 "Fishermans Secret"

GCGTAA "Trollville"

Thank You

Bccruiser

I am planning on a 4 day truck camping trip along the Olympic Peninsula (WA) and was hoping that some of you out there have some suggestions on caches that we must do while on the trip. Also if you know of any good places to park for the night please let me know. We don't need a campsite since we will be sleeping in the back of the truck.

We will be starting our trip in Port Townsend and then plan on traveling West on Hwy 101.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bccruiser

BCCruiser, there's a lot of good caches out here. Good for you for taking 4 days for them!

The ones that have been mentioned are all very easy ones. Of those, I would agree particularly about Surfer's Secret that it's good.

I'm from Port Townsend, and I have done most caches on the Northern and Western parts of the peninsula. Be a bit more specific, and I'll be able to help you out.

Are you mostly into quantity, or are you really looking for the good ones? Can your trip include caches the require a hike in the moutains, or on beaches, or even a drive on rough forest service roads?

We are definitely not interested in quanitity and are indeed looking for the good ones. As for the hiking, beaches, mountains, ect.. yes please. Although, we would like the hikes to be less than 4 miles round trip. We don't want all day taken up by hiking since we want time to visit the towns along the way. Driving on rough forest service roads is also not a problem. We regularly cache up the Mountain Loop Highway east of Granite Falls and a lot of those caches require a drive on these types of roads.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Bccruiser

Edited by bccruiser

We are definitely not interested in quanitity and are indeed looking for the good ones. As for the hiking, beaches, mountains, ect.. yes please. Although, we would like the hikes to be less than 4 miles round trip. We don't want all day taken up by hiking since we want time to visit the towns along the way. Driving on rough forest service roads is also not a problem. We regularly cache up the Mountain Loop Highway east of Granite Falls and a lot of those caches require a drive on these types of roads.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Bccruiser

OK - With a focus on quality, taking into account your constraints, and on the understanding that you'll be driving from Port Townsend towards Aberdeen along the North and the West of the peninsula and want to see the best of what we have to offer, I would make sure not to miss any of the following:

Romp Remnants II (GCJW54)

Wilson Admirer (GCD778)

Another Point of View (GCV65C)

Wading for Godot (GCH5B3)

Track the Dragon – Estuary (Chimacum) (GCNMJM)

Track the Dragon - Sedimentary Rock (GCMY88)

Walk on a Rocky Beach (GCHWKM)

Discovery Bay "Rocks" (GCMWCB)

Roar of the falls by Gold Fever (GCJMPC)

Port Willy's Mallard Revenge (GCF252)

Dungeness Poker...(GC90AD)

A Walk In Webster Woods (GCGWFA)

Watch For Rocks and Water (GCJ0G3)

Surfer's Secret (GCP1Z3)

Hider On Snider (GCPV4C)

Cowan Stump (GCWZTA)

MARSHMELLOW CACHE/ Boy Scout Island (GCVCQ9)

Makah Heritage (GC60B4)

Roose Homestead (GC16A6)

Forks Geocache (GC628F)

Ruby's Rest (GC7077)

This list does not include anything extreme, but if you can fit in *one* longer walk above the timber line which would not take you too far off from your intended itinerary, I'd also include these two:

Goats R Us (GCMWT4)

Tyler Peak (GCMWTT)

Enjoy!

shunra

Just got done scanning through the caches you recommended and they look great. You even took the time to list them in the order they appear as we are taking our trip. Thanks!!.

You wouldn't by any chance know an good overnight parking places. We will be coming over Wednesday night and plan on spending the night in Port Townsend and then start our caching expedition Thursday morning. So where is a good place to park for that first night?

Bccruiser

shunra

Just got done scanning through the caches you recommended and they look great. You even took the time to list them in the order they appear as we are taking our trip. Thanks!!.

You wouldn't by any chance know an good overnight parking places. We will be coming over Wednesday night and plan on spending the night in Port Townsend and then start our caching expedition Thursday morning. So where is a good place to park for that first night?

Bccruiser

Hi BCcruiser,

Yeah, I figured that was the best way to list them, for you.

I don't know how you're traveling - with an RV? camping? Looking for indoor accommodation?

For RVs, Point Hudson is right downtown, just off the ferry, too the right. An alternative is at Ft. Worden SP.

Camping - also Ft. Worden SP.

Ft. Worden also has a hostel

For motels, turn left from the ferry

Booking ahead might be a good idea. Also, check out www.ptguide.com is you want to make advance arrangements.

Have fun!

I believe it is still legal to park overnight at the Port Townsend Park and Ride.

If I were you, if I were me, (?) I'd skip my Another Point of View, which is pretty much a drive up, and do Juan De Fuca II. If you also happen to terrache, (can I say that?) continue on to Shunra's at Mccurdy Point. I love that beach walk. Not at high tide, though. The two would be a 6 mile RT, but flat and easy. The farther out you go, the prettier it gets.

I'd second Webster Woods in Port Angeles.

I should have thought of this sooner, but I've got a touch of sunstroke from chasing an 8 year old with a ride-all-the-rides-you-want-all-day wristband around the Clallam County fair.

I'd get you the number for the PT police department, but I refuse to move from my chair for the next hour or two. Anyway, the thought is, if the Park and Ride doesn't work, and you don't mind slumming it, we've got room in our driveway.

I should have thought of this sooner, but I've got a touch of sunstroke from chasing an 8 year old with a ride-all-the-rides-you-want-all-day wristband around the Clallam County fair.

I'd get you the number for the PT police department, but I refuse to move from my chair for the next hour or two. Anyway, the thought is, if the Park and Ride doesn't work, and you don't mind slumming it, we've got room in our driveway.

Wanted to say thank you very much for your generous offer. We might take you up on it. We'll let you know.

Bccruiser