Bonus Finds

currykev

In a graveyard while looking for the physical cache of a multi, just immediately behind the church, I found a large kitchen knife with a hastily discarded rubber glove next to it. Of course I did not touch it or even approach within a metre or so as there appeared a clear possibility that this may have been a crime scene and may perhaps have required detailed police examination. There was no visible bloodstain or anything, but there had been recent rain, so anything might have washed off the items into the surrounding ground.

I doubt very much that there was an innocent explanation for why somone would throw away such a knife in such a place and the presence of the insideout kitchen glove nearby heightened my suspicion. I immediately reported the find to the local police station.

Knife1.jpg

Knife2.jpg

I avoided making any mention of the find or its location in my cachelog entry on the webpage as I did not want to publish what would amount to a spoiler for the multi as the cache is in the only churchyard in the area.

Although the police noted my name, address and telephone number, I heard nothing back from them. Knife crime is distressingly frequent in that city and just one more knife incident is something which happens several times an evening at weekends, or so I'm told by a friendly local rozzer.

Edited by The Forester

Always finding things, I found some bolt cutters at one cache a while back. Which were handy as I had a forgotten the numbers for the lock on my back pack :huh:

This weekend in Aylesbury I found a nice torch, still had batteries as well :huh:.

Then also find some aweful things as well, dead animals, vomit etc.

See ya...Gary

Always finding things, I found some bolt cutters at one cache a while back. Which were handy as I had a forgotten the numbers for the lock on my back pack :ph34r:

This weekend in Aylesbury I found a nice torch, still had batteries as well :huh:.

Then also find some aweful things as well, dead animals, vomit etc.

See ya...Gary

For Gary, just recently, it seems that actually finding the cache has been a bit of a bonus :huh::ph34r:

See ya...John

I'ev never found anything of much interest, but I haev heard the following stories...

Skippy and Pingu found a rucksack containing bottles of beer and some hand guns whist doing The Wooden Lymm Cache last year... they had to wait around for the police for ages, but did manage to find the cache in that time!

My Parents - the Sandiway Searchers were tipped off my Miss_Butterfly 2 weeks ago that there was something dodgy near one of their quite remote caches - The Wirral Pub Crawl.. the Wheatshef. They went to inspect it and found a large block of cannabis, which the Police reckoned had a street value of £3,000. I did suggest that I'd be able to sell it on for them, but too late, it had been "disposed of" by the Police :huh:

In a separate incident earlier in the year, the Sandiway Searchers were scouting for a new location for a cache near to their offices in Knowsley - Liverpool, and they came across 10 new, sealed cardboard boxes dumped on a footpath.

The opened one up, and it contained brand new tops from Vyella (quite a nice clothes store for ladies of a "certain age") The police said they were too busy to attend, and asked dad to store them in their Warehouse over there.

The police came and removed them, and returned them to Vyella, but mum and Dad never got a thankyou from Vyella for recovering over £5,000 worth of stolen stock!

/me makes a note never to cache with the Sandiway Searchers - they seem to attract trouble!

They went to inspect it and found a large block of cannabis, which the Police reckoned had a street value of £3,000.

:huh::ph34r::ph34r:

[/quote

I found a police man on my door step ,asking me if id lost a £3000 block of gear. I explained that i had once owned a £6000 block of gear . But had smoked half of it man, and could he help me find two lost £20 notes and a large knife.

Memorys not what it was man :huh::huh:

I seemd to find discarded underwear quite a lot, particularly in the Peak District. Never stoped to make closer examination though.

Strangly enough, a lot of time it was on caches that Pengy & Tigger had found shortly before me. Really - honestly. :anicute::unsure:

Was that why you had so much luggage when you went to the USA ?

ps. did they fit? :unsure::ph34r:

I too found a knife, this one at 7.00am whilst attempting one of Mars Bars' Enigma series, I rang Directory Enquiries or whatever it's now called, got the local bobbies who kept me waiting for ages before asking me to pick it up and take it to my local station. I went to my local (plastic) nick to be informed that it was Saturday and shut, I then had to go out of my way to a 'proper' nick, they took said knife off me ( I was waiting for them to test it for fingerprints and dna) and slung it into a sharps box!? So much for watching CSI. CSI Miami & CSINYPDBlue or whatever, it doesn't happen like that in real life...pah!

Oh, my mobile ran out of credit waiting for them to turn up to collect the knife, which they obviously never did...double pah!!

My Parents - the Sandiway Searchers were tipped off my Miss_Butterfly 2 weeks ago that there was something dodgy near one of their quite remote caches - The Wirral Pub Crawl.. the Wheatshef. They went to inspect it and found a large block of cannabis, which the Police reckoned had a street value of £3,000. I did suggest that I'd be able to sell it on for them, but too late, it had been "disposed of" by the Police :unsure:

I bet it was £6,000's worth before they "recovered" it (errr allegedly) :anicute:

My Parents - the Sandiway Searchers were tipped off my Miss_Butterfly 2 weeks ago that there was something dodgy near one of their quite remote caches - The Wirral Pub Crawl.. the Wheatshef. They went to inspect it and found a large block of cannabis, which the Police reckoned had a street value of £3,000. I did suggest that I'd be able to sell it on for them, but too late, it had been "disposed of" by the Police :unsure:

I bet it was £6,000's worth before they "recovered" it (errr allegedly) :anicute:

Nah, they already inflated the price @3k, either that or it was a "huge" block of cannabis.

Disclaimer - not that i'm up on the retail prices of cannabis nowadays you understand being an ex-smoker (of both legal and non-legal weed) for nearly 18 months now.

Anyway....

While I was heading home from a cache on Friday evening I went down a narrow footpath with stiles at the end and no gates. Imagine my surprise when while walking down the path I met a grand white horse coming the other way. I had no idea how he got in or where he should be but I gave him a fuss, squeezed past and we both carried on our respective journeys.

I found a nice hunting knife in a sheath on the way to pen y fan the other week and I also seem to find alot of underwear!??! Is that more a reflection on me though!!

Also the best alternative finds were a small cache left by the army at some waterfalls (the last of the mohicans cache) that had in it a map of the area leading to a hidden parachute to use as a shelter and also at another site in the brecon beacons (bronze circles and a lancaster) a 3 year old unfound geocache that wasn't even the one I was looking for and wasn't listed anywhere!?

Jon

Talking of diamond rings, my wife lost her engagement ring searching for a cache and sometime later, a cacher read the log and went and found it with his metal detector (which was nice).

Browser

Dang.

Well, Finders keepers. Sorry about your luck. It's mine now.

Oh, wait. Different ring.

<ahem>

What a great story!

I did a short multi cache a few months ago. It was in a medium sized park/nature reserve and the final cache was well hidden under a lot of trees and thick bushes. As I neared the co-ords I spotted a tatty looking black plastic bag and thought it might be the cache. As I was trying to retrieve it I realised it was way too old and heavy to be the cache and that it had been there for some time. Expecting it to be someones old rubbish I decided to leave it and have another look for the cache, which I found about 25 feet away.

A week or so after my find I saw that the cache had been visited by some other cachers. I read their log and was amazed to read that they had found an old, rusty sawn-off shotgun near to the cache! From their drescription it sounded like it was in the bag that I'd been messing around with :o

They had then called the police who came and removed the weapon (what was left of it). Turns out the gun would have been unlikely to have gone off as it was in very bad condition.....but it makes me think twice now about retrieving caches :D

I did a fairly local cache a few months ago - cracking walk with a loch etc.....

When we parked up there were quite a few local neds with plastic Vauxhall Corsas thinking they are in The Fast And The Furious zooming around the carpark......

So on my return what i found was - that they had knifed one of my front tyres..........

I also found that my new car does't have a spare wheel.... instead a crappy tin of expanding foam.

I know this isn't really in the spirit of what people have found while caching....... but typing it all is kinda theraputic!!!

:D

Garryb

I must just say reading this thread while I'm recovering from a small op has cheered me up no end with the comments.... keep it up folks...

Now all I need is for my new gps to turn up today as promised...

And to stay on topic I can't say I have ever found anything unusual but thanks for topic Kev

Steve

Its the lava of a ladybird

Cheers Stora :blink:

After a bit of Googling I found a site which has identified it as a "Coccinella septempunctata" or better known as a Sevenspotted Ladybird Beetle Larvae :blink:

Can't remember having seen one before, cheers for the info.

Whilst doing one of Mancunian Pyrocachers caches we found a pair of size 11 high heel shoes, a basque and a photo of a man wearing said items whilst having a ham shank :huh:

We reported the location of the items to the police .

Did you ask the previous cacher if they had lost anything ? :blink:

Our best unexpected find was a clearly labelled red plastic container (old fashioned sweetbox size) containing remains of someone's ashes - the FTF thought it was the cache we were seeking and gave us all a laugh (direspectful though that probably was). :wub:

We have also found a large snake while hunting cache on South Downs - stopped hunting and accepted a "failed to find" on that occasion. :wub:

The spider was dead, killed by the wasp which was dragging it across the Inca Trail to lay it's eggs inside it apparently!

Probably not dead but paralised. The nasty critters lay their eggs in the host and the lavae eat their way out of the still alive spider :wub: A keeper of tarantulas I used to know rescued a spider that had been caught by a wasp like this and after about 3 weeks it woke up and was OK.