Will it go MIA?

Kealia

I got this email today from somebody who isn't a cacher (OMG, are there really still people who DON'T cache?!?!?!) -

hi im writing because yesrterday i was on a lake fishing with my

friends and when i was croosing the bridge under the bridge i found a box and

in the box was a lot of little medallions one can say and i would like

to know what these things are and what purpose they serveand on one of

those little medallions i found a um... travel bug and i believe it is

yours traveling to pennsylvannia and then to california the number is

<removed> i found this in the area around route 23 in new jersey

I checked thier account and they just created it today. Maybe to be able to send me the email, maybe to start caching - who knows?

I emailed back briefly explaining caching, TBs and geocoins. I also asked them to replace the coin in the cache (which they had found) so that another cacher could move it along.

Here's to hoping that they either join the RASH or put it back.

I'm going to be optimistic and hope for the best.

Anybody a betting type?

Willing to guess:

1) What the next action will be?

2) The date that it will happen?

If I can find an easy way to keep track of things, maybe I'll offer a small prize to whoever is the most accurate!

I got this email today from somebody who isn't a cacher (OMG, are there really still people who DON'T cache?!?!?!) -

hi im writing because ... i found a box and in the box was a lot of little medallions one can say ...

I emailed back briefly explaining caching, TBs and geocoins. I also asked them to replace the coin in the cache (which they had found) so that another cacher could move it along... I'm going to be optimistic and hope for the best.

Anybody a betting type?

Willing to guess:

My guesses are:

They'll put it into a different cache - they sound like they are interested enough to get at least a little involved - and they will do it within two weeks: I'll be optimistic and say August 19th.

I tend to be optimisitc, too. No one is going to write a note like that and not follow through in some way.

Goos luck! Keep us posted <_<

If they took the time to actually open an account and went so far as to ask questions, and you having explained the game to them. I would like to think they are interested.

Possibly being new to the game, they will read the forum and look into the GC site. I will give them a few weeks to buy a gps unit, then a few more days to put the coin in a different cache.

I will say by August 30th.

What will be the winning prize? Maybe..........your personal coin? <_<

I think since they wrote to you they have been searching gc.com and learning all about geocaching and how very cool it is. They are now checking ebay for a cheap gps and will soon have one in hand. In the mean time they are looking for other caches in the area, one that looks easy enough to find without a GPS and are getting ready to go drop your coin! I bet it's in a cache by the weekend!

More info - just found out that they took the whole cache, not just my coin.

The cache belongs to a well known NJ cacher (Briansnat). He emailed me to let me know that the cache was stolen and that my precious was in there as well.

I forwarded him the email I got and I think between the both of us contacting them we're hopeful that they will put them both back.

Will update as more info occurs.

Keeping fingers crossed.

As for the prize....lemme think on it. But it won't be my personal coin, sorry. <_<

If they contacted you, evidently they were interested in doing the right thing. They probably took the whole cache, because they thought you had lost it or something. We think that since you explained what it was doing there, you will find that they go out and replace the cache, and since you requested it, they will replace the coin in the same cache. We figure they should be getting around to replace it by Aug. 28. If they intended to keep the whole thing, you wouldn't have heard from them in the first place. We HOPE this scenario is the correct one, since they seem to have been trying to do the "right" thing and contact the only owner they could locate.

CHEERS!! <_<

I say they're going to learn how many people are playing and get addicted themselves... going out every day and finding 80 to 100 caches seven days per week until they pass the top two cachers (Or will that only keep up with the top cachers). Before all that, they'll replace the cache with the travel bug in it on Aug, 19, 2006 around 2:15 pm.

Oh, their cacher name will be 'Trolling Surprise.'

troll13.gif

Just a wild guess of course. :huh:

Anybody a betting type?

Willing to guess:

If I can find an easy way to keep track of things, maybe I'll offer a small prize to whoever is the most accurate!

Well since they were fishing on the weekend my guess is they will put it back this saturday or sunday. Since this is a sorta contest and someone picked saturday already, I'll go with Sunday afternoon. This means the whole thing, cache and TB's/coins.

I'm sure since they took the time to contact you a GPSr is already purchased and they will have there first find in a few days. :huh:

My odds are on them playing the game. I bet they will buy the recommended garmin etrex on the site. I t may take them a few weeks to buy it. Then may take them longer to lean how to use it since the garmin etrx *does Not* explain how to puch in co-ord's that you already know.

I recommend emailing them and telling them about these forums...if they have questions about how to use thier new GPS...or asking you if they are not sure. You can always post it here if they have a question you can't answer....

Just an idea...

Karen

Edited by Mixamutt

I did that cache about 1 month ago and swapped geocoins and travel bugs. The "bridge is only about 6 feet long , very narrow and over a tiny stream that is barely running. Box was well cammoed and not really viaable. From cache page note it rreads like the bridge was vandalized and turned over. Doing that would completely expose the cache. Doesnt sound optimistic. The cache is only about 50 feet from a large lake so fisherman would be around.

I just discovered this thread, so please pardon the late input . . .

These maybe/maybe-not muggles might very well already have a GPSr

Many people who fish have a unit so that they can mark places where the catch was good, thus facilitating a return to the spot

If I am not mistaken, pre-SA/off, sales of receivers were mostly to hunters, fishers, and other outdoor recreation types, for whom 100-foot accuracy was just fine